Conquest Can Be Fun.

47 replies to this topic

#1 kanamisan

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:21 PM

Just had a game of conquest where it ended at 750-747. all things consittered it was a good match where our team had better flanking positions then our opponents but both sides had enough aggressave people to push out and do what they needed to do, being in a stalker misery, I tried to keep the heat on me and do a bit of damage, but did not have the ablity to cap, we only got two of the points, because of our ablity to outfight the other team, we ended the match with more assets to use, though they had a kingcrab and something else at the end, that being said, because of the conquest mechanics, we where forced to start capping instead of chasing down every last target. that allowed for more interesting things to happen late game and kept the match close.

If we had lost the match by 3 points, I would not be mad, because both of our teams got to push our limits as hard as we could go, and thats why this game can be great fun.

So I really dont get why people dislike playing conquest, There is still alot of combat in it and if you want to be aggressive, then feel free to get aggressive.

I think perhaps the problem with the game at times is not the game itself, but the players. people who are overly selfish and expect everything to cater to them. the thing is this, maybe because I suck, or dont know the game as well as other people. makes it so that I cant see what evil is caused by conquest, or skirmish, the voting, ghost heat, or any of the other hundreds of things wrong with the game. But, the game does make me think as much as I would if not a little more then when I fly in falcon 4.0 bms. I would think that compared to many other games out there, that I have played, This has to me, been some of the most fun few days, and for returning to the game after nearly two years, I never expected this to be as good as it is, especially with all the vitriol in the forums. Yet in match, over voip, or even when I watch the few streamers/ video makers that I found out about from this game. none of them are anywhere as angry or hate felt as the people on these forums.

So while I am a player who only just today broke 580 damage in any mech, (in my stalker misery with 2 kills and 6 assists) and who usually struggles to do a 200 damage match in a light or medium. and there might be stuff I don't get. I still really like this game. I would like to find friends in this game, and I do hope this game stays around for a while.

ps, if someone wants to add me in game to chat, or play with , then go ahead.

#2 Dino Might

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:26 PM

I love conquest - much more than mindless shooting. It has more piloting and positioning elements than skirmish. I find that I'm much more interested in out-maneuvering mechs than I am in shooting them.

Drop by the Comstar Irregulars teamspeak on: na1.mech-connect.net
Feel free to join us on drops - we'll get you in matches and help you answer whatever questions you may have. Some tuesdays we'll do fun matches (e.g., cheetah sk eet shooting, capture the urbie, swarm of locusts). You're more than welcome to join us anytime.

Add Dino Might as a friends on your list and shoot me a message whenever I'm on - I'll drop with ya.

www.comstarirregulars.com

Edited by Dino Might, 23 November 2015 - 08:27 PM.

#3 William Pryde

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • 103 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

I'm glad to see that there are people who think CW is fun. I haven't tried it yet 'cause I almost always play as a PUG and am looking for a group to play with (also have a lot more grinding to do before I get a full drop deck), but it gets a lot of hate here and I'm thinking, "It can't be that bad or else people wouldn't play it at all." Thanks for the positivity! I hope to try it out sometime soon, but I'll probably wait until I have a drop deck and a group.

#4 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:33 PM

Look, I like Conquest--much more than Assault at least. However, when half the team is going for cap, and another half is fighting, it gets downhill real fast. Pugs simply do not understand that Heavy/Assault mechs are built for fighting, not for capping, and in small maps such as Frozen City, the match is always decided by fighting, so capping Theta, or the enemy points is being useless to the team.

Edited by El Bandito, 23 November 2015 - 08:34 PM.

#5 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:13 PM

" when half the team is going for cap, and another half is fighting, it gets downhill real fast. Pugs simply do not understand that Heavy/Assault mechs are built for fighting, not for capping"

Does this really happen in your games? Weird. In my Conquest pugs, the lights cap to 2-3 or 3-2 and then go back to the main battle - usually flanking attacks, while everyone else does the skirmish shuffle. At worst, the lights overcap and everyone else murderballs from cap point to cap point.

#6 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 23 November 2015 - 09:16 PM

Certain Maps are fun for Conquest, like Alpine Peaks for instance. Instead of Alpine Peak Death Mountain in Skirmish/Assault, Conquest makes it so you have to fight away from said Mountain.

#7 Blood Skar

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:15 PM

The problem is not the players...the problem is the current non selection of modes....

I made a big long post about this the other day and i'm not going to repeat myself.
Needless to say its a simple fix. Give us back mode selection.

You want to play Conquest - cool - with mode selector back you will be with like minded players.
Instead of bitter players that on the whole are only playing Conquest due to a derp x12 voting mechanic. This will ONLY lead to bad games.

As for the hate you talk about- you have to remember some players here have been around for a long time and have seen some horrendous changes (and some good ones of course). I've been here and about since Oct2012 and some were here way before that.
I will also say this game is going through a wild time right now. The changes are coming thick and fast in way of new mechs, nerfs of all flavours(lots of Clan Mech nerfs for instance), quirks being changed nearly every patch, steam etc,etc.

Most players here are trying to help fix the game and use constructive posts on the whole. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the other popular games out there...i shall refrain from naming them. :)

Edited by Blood Skar, 23 November 2015 - 10:31 PM.

#8 Death Proof

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 546 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:23 PM

View PostBlood Skar, on 23 November 2015 - 10:15 PM, said:

Give us back mode selection.

No. Suck it up. And like it.

#9 kanamisan

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

View PostBlood Skar, on 23 November 2015 - 10:15 PM, said:

The problem is not the players...the problem is the current non selection of modes....

I made a big long post about this the other day and i'm not going to repeat myself.
Needless to say its a simple fix. Give us back mode selection.

You want to play Conquest - cool - with mode selector back you will be with like minded players.
Instead of bitter players that on the whole are only playing Conquest due to a derp x12 voting mechanic. This will ONLY lead to bad games.

As for the hate you talk about- you have to remember some players here have been around for a long time and have seen some horrendous changes (and some good ones of course). I've been here and about since Oct2012 and some were here way before that.
I will also say this game is going through a wild time right now. The changes are coming thick and fast in way of new mechs, nerfs of all flavours(lots of Clan Mech nerfs for instance), quirks being changed nearly every patch, steam etc,etc.

Most players here are trying to help fix the game and use constructive posts on the whole. It's nowhere near as bad as some of the other popular games out there...i shall refrain from naming them. :)

The problem is the players though.People can have the fights in conquest just as much as they can have it in skirmish, there is just more stuff to do on the map then kill, which is a good thing as it expands the fun than what skirmish alone can provide. the problem being that players often end up too shortsighted with what they want, that they do not end up doing their best regardless of the map or match type. The problem is clearly in the players, not in pgi. match type selection does not work well when there are not alot of players do to large queuing times which lead to fewer and more poorly matched matches and players not being exposed to the different types of content not being able to learn the needed skills to be relevant.

I do remember the forums back when I last played a few years ago being just as bad so I am assuming that its a constant, with many of the necro threads I have seen/long time threads, many of the attitudes have clearly been around just as long. so again, its clear that this has not changed.

#10 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:45 PM

Lack of mode selection easily cut my wait time in half, from 15 to 7 minutes and greatly improved gameplay on Oceanic servers. NA might not notice it but the rest of the world does.

As far as conquest, it was fun in a unit but mostly horrendous in pug land. Your match sounds awesome, 90% of mine are landslides one way or the other, much more often than other game modes. I have similar issues as Bandito. I can't count the number of times assaults follow lights down to theta on frozen city, then get stuck there and die. I'll be in the middle of a brawl in my medium and notice theassaults have retreated and are trying to cap. II can only play on the Oceanic server, so maybe it's a language barrier, but voip and chat are absolutely ignored as a general rule.

But, I suck it up and play conquest because this new system has greatly improved MM, at least in my experience.

#11 kanamisan

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:52 PM

View Postadamts01, on 23 November 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

Lack of mode selection easily cut my wait time in half, from 15 to 7 minutes and greatly improved gameplay on Oceanic servers. NA might not notice it but the rest of the world does.

As far as conquest, it was fun in a unit but mostly horrendous in pug land. Your match sounds awesome, 90% of mine are landslides one way or the other, much more often than other game modes. I have similar issues as Bandito. I can't count the number of times assaults follow lights down to theta on frozen city, then get stuck there and die. I'll be in the middle of a brawl in my medium and notice theassaults have retreated and are trying to cap. II can only play on the Oceanic server, so maybe it's a language barrier, but voip and chat are absolutely ignored as a general rule.

But, I suck it up and play conquest because this new system has greatly improved MM, at least in my experience.

I play on all three of the servers as my ping is playable on all of them, it might be the time of day, but I find osc to have the nicest players, with eu as second. ether way, while that match I talked about was not on osc, I have had others that where close and fun matches. conquest wise, on friday, I had a 698-750 loss with only two mechs each, our team had a legged dw and legged thunderbolt vs a cicada and a locust. but it was a good match regardless.

#12 Blood Skar

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:00 PM

View PostDeath Proof, on 23 November 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

No. Suck it up. And like it.

Nice. Your the type of person the OP was referring to.
Selective Cut and Paste toxic warrior without addressing my arguements.

To you other guys here:
How do you think the current voting for modes adds to your gameplay?
You are saying it is helping with wait times...that i can see of course..that's because a lot of players had Conquest turned off with the old mode selector.
Having players who don't want to play Conquest in a Conquest game surely isn't the way to go for the game.

#13 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

View Postkanamisan, on 23 November 2015 - 10:52 PM, said:

I play on all three of the servers as my ping is playable on all of them, it might be the time of day, but I find osc to have the nicest players, with eu as second. ether way, while that match I talked about was not on osc, I have had others that where close and fun matches. conquest wise, on friday, I had a 698-750 loss with only two mechs each, our team had a legged dw and legged thunderbolt vs a cicada and a locust. but it was a good match regardless.

I've had very good conquest matches as well, but they're pretty rare. I find it very rare that both teams hold their own in battle AND points.

I agree the Oceanic community is pretty nice, me and 1/4 the Australians excluded. I'm American and I don't mean this as a knock to the country but you can tell immediately when those snotty little kids get out of day care and log on. I'm disabling chat and voip as soon as steam release for sure.

#14 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:16 PM

View PostBlood Skar, on 23 November 2015 - 11:00 PM, said:

To you other guys here:
How do you think the current voting for modes adds to your gameplay?
Having players who don't want to play Conquest in a Conquest game surely isn't the way to go for the game.

It's different in NA, but on Oceanic outside of Australian prime time there aren't many mwo veterans. Having CW, group(skirmish, assault, conquest) & solo(skirmish, assault, conquest) split the player base in to SEVEN different groups. There just flat out aren't enough players for that. I immediately noticed the talent difference that was available for MM. I imagine tier 5s noticed this too but not so much the 2s, 3s and 4s. But my God, those wait times. I was routinely waiting OVER AN HOUR dropping with my brother for a 12-1 match where my entire assault lance was asking for locks.... Where did PGI dig them up from? Definitely not tier 1 or 2.

I think most of us that have been here for a while understand what each mode need a to work. I see that in my more recent matches. Even if I don't like conquest I'll play it because I see combining game modes as nessecary for this game's survival.

#15 kanamisan

• PipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:21 PM

View Postadamts01, on 23 November 2015 - 11:04 PM, said:

I've had very good conquest matches as well, but they're pretty rare. I find it very rare that both teams hold their own in battle AND points.

I agree the Oceanic community is pretty nice, me and 1/4 the Australians excluded. I'm American and I don't mean this as a knock to the country but you can tell immediately when those snotty little kids get out of day care and log on. I'm disabling chat and voip as soon as steam release for sure.

actually, all you need to do is wait one week, then everyone who is expecting something simple will give up, and only the people who enjoy the game will stick around.

#16 Blood Skar

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:21 PM

View Postkanamisan, on 23 November 2015 - 10:45 PM, said:

The problem is the players though.People can have the fights in conquest just as much as they can have it in skirmish, there is just more stuff to do on the map then kill, which is a good thing as it expands the fun than what skirmish alone can provide. the problem being that players often end up too shortsighted with what they want, that they do not end up doing their best regardless of the map or match type. The problem is clearly in the players, not in pgi. match type selection does not work well when there are not alot of players do to large queuing times which lead to fewer and more poorly matched matches and players not being exposed to the different types of content not being able to learn the needed skills to be relevant.

I do remember the forums back when I last played a few years ago being just as bad so I am assuming that its a constant, with many of the necro threads I have seen/long time threads, many of the attitudes have clearly been around just as long. so again, its clear that this has not changed.

1, In the distant past we never had the mode selector. Players were forced into all 3 modes.
2, PGI then added the drop down mode selector. We had real choice as to what mode we played.
3, They add voting in, which takes away the mode selector.

How is this players being 'shortsighted' as you say? PGI have taken the choice of modes away from us.

I only have to log on and play a few games of Conquest to see half my team isn't bothering with capping. As i'm normally one of the last mechs standing i then get moaned at to cap....when those (Dead) players have been skirmishing.

Dont get me wrong i try 100% in any mode i play - but i want to chose what that mode is(like we had prior to November btw) and not have it forced upon me.

#17 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:30 PM

View Postkanamisan, on 23 November 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

actually, all you need to do is wait one week, then everyone who is expecting something simple will give up, and only the people who enjoy the game will stick around.

The funniest and and most necessary addition before release was a crouch function for steam tea bagger retention. I wish I remembered the guys name to give him credit. Absolutely hilarious and true.

#18 Blood Skar

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 97 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:32 PM

View Postadamts01, on 23 November 2015 - 11:16 PM, said:

It's different in NA, but on Oceanic outside of Australian prime time there aren't many mwo veterans. Having CW, group(skirmish, assault, conquest) & solo(skirmish, assault, conquest) split the player base in to SEVEN different groups. There just flat out aren't enough players for that. I immediately noticed the talent difference that was available for MM. I imagine tier 5s noticed this too but not so much the 2s, 3s and 4s. But my God, those wait times. I was routinely waiting OVER AN HOUR dropping with my brother for a 12-1 match where my entire assault lance was asking for locks.... Where did PGI dig them up from? Definitely not tier 1 or 2.

I think most of us that have been here for a while understand what each mode need a to work. I see that in my more recent matches. Even if I don't like conquest I'll play it because I see combining game modes as nessecary for this game's survival.

Doesn't that point to a problem with the MM rather than with mode selection?
Personally i think the way MM works should be restructured anyway - but that's for another discussion i guess.

Come steam release i think there will be a big player increase (lets hope so anyway). Hopefully they give us back a choice on game modes then.

I'm not asking for it because i'm 'entitled' i'm saying its good for the game to have a choice of modes. i.e. you guys will have better Conquest games with like minded people. As i say i try 100% in any mode i land in - not everyone does this - and its most evident in Conquest.

Edited by Blood Skar, 23 November 2015 - 11:35 PM.

#19 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:39 PM

View PostBlood Skar, on 23 November 2015 - 11:21 PM, said:

Dont get me wrong i try 100% in any mode i play - but i want to chose what that mode is(like we had prior to November btw) and not have it forced upon me.

I definitely feel you but what do you have to say about Oceanic and to some extent EU players? My ping to Singapore is 40, NA 350 and EU 450, so selecting all the servers isn't an option. On average my solo wait times were 12 minutes and two man waits were about 25. That's in lights. Just suck it up? I'm a huge mechwarrior fan and a very good financial contributer. And I stopped playing. The Asian market is HUGE, not to mention the fact that giant robots are super popular there. I think people will get over this like they get over most things, learn the "new to them" game mode and get better. This change has kept me on board and spending money.

#20 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:46 PM

View PostBlood Skar, on 23 November 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

Doesn't that point to a problem with the MM rather than with mode selection?

Not really. It points to the problem of not enough players. There were only a few options.

1. Longer wait times for better matches.

2. Reduce game modes to consolidate players.

3. Throw beginners in with the veterans to decrease wait times.

With my wait times the way they were and the absolute lack of talent I had been seeing, their choice was spot on for my region. Yes it sucks for NA where you have plenty of players for MM to work correctly and still have acceptable wait times. Maybe that server can keep the choice. You only like conquest, I only like skirmish, we both play them all well and with weighted voting we each get to play our mode, granted me more often. I do believe people will learn conquest and get better, because they have to eventually.

Edited by adamts01, 23 November 2015 - 11:47 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users