• The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:30 PM

http://mwomercs.com/chat
http://mwomercs.com/...ami-transcript/
http://mwomercs.com/...mid-kiarostami/
For those that were unable to make it, here is the transcript of Paul ‘s afterhours Q&A that followed the Developer chat with Omid Kiarostami. Enjoy – cheers!

[15:00] <FoxD> Thank you guys, from all of us here at PGI and IGP!
[15:00] <FoxD> I'll unmoderate the room shortly.
[15:00] <[PGI]JustSomeDude_MoveAlong> I see Omid and I are going to have to have a talk about the symbiotic relationship between Engineering and Design
[15:00] <FoxD> Feel free to stay awhile and chat.
[15:00] <IGP_Mike> ============================================== A full transcript will be posted online soon.
[15:01] <FoxD> You may now chit-chat!
[15:02] <FoxD> You're welcome!
[15:02] <[SJR]Dale> Transcript: http://mwomercs.com/...mid-kiarostami/
[15:03] <Urblam> FULL answer here: "Haha, funny you should ask. Our Animation Engineer - Peter Chea - once threw in an implementation like that. He had it setup so if you were dashing across uneven footing, your 'Mech could trip and
send you flat on your face. It was absolutely hilarious to watch, but also got a little annoying so we took it out. I can't say it would never come back, but we want to make sure actually piloting the 'Mech thro
[15:04] <Urblam> "I can't say it would never come back, but we want to make sure actually piloting the 'Mech through rough terrain is not infuriating!"
[15:05] <[SJR]Dale> Heading out, again, Transcript: http://mwomercs.com/...mid-kiarostami/

[15:05] <DTemplar5> Yeah; I am kinda sad that they didn't talk more about the Community Warfare, but it did open up on how they approched stuff; and I find it a good and satsifying approch.
[15:06] <[PGI]JustSomeDude_MoveAlong> DTemplar5: I'll answer for you... community warfare has been pushed out to post launch and we will not discuss it's current or planned state until closer to that time.

[15:08] <Urblam> There's a method in place, but we don't have a full explanation ready yet.
[15:08] <[DS]Boom> lol id like to.. just so pumped. Hard not to be a little sad that's all.
[15:08] <[PGI]JustSomeDude_MoveAlong> [DS]Boom: Omid is the gameplay engineer... programmer... the questions you have are about design.
[15:09] == [PGI]JustSomeDude_MoveAlong has changed nick to [PGI]Paul_Inouye

[15:09] <Targetloc> What is MWO being programmed in?
[15:09] <FoxD> LISP
[15:09] <FoxD> It's being programmed in LISP
[15:09] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> C++ and C# for scripting needs

[15:10] <Drakeblade> ->@JustSomeDude can you clearify something is the 80$ ingame credit c-bills or other currency? I have heard mixed answers from forum.
[15:10] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> the $80 credit is $80 worth of MechWarrior Credits (MC)

[15:12] <MoxVoid> Yeah but how many mechs would 80$ of in game mechwarrior credit get you?
[15:13] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> Mox.. depends on the mech... some are more expensive than the others

[15:13] <FoxD> The chat sesions has ended.
[15:13] <FoxD> The transcript is available here: http://mwomercs.com/...mid-kiarostami/
[15:14] <FoxD> Returning you to your regularly scheduled bat channel.
[15:14] <DTemplar5> RAM; one thing they answered was shifting the online authentication from client to server. Definately interesting to note.

[15:14] <Thontor> Are the number of hardpoints still in flux? or have you decided on something like limiting the hardpoints to 1 per weapon of the base mech variant
[15:15] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> hardpoints are in flux until we state they're final

[15:15] <EmperorMyrf> Are the prices for mechs/parts 1:1 with the tabletop values? Or is that still being played with?
[15:16] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> EmperorMyrf: there is no reason to stay with 1:1 pricing with table top.. they will vary

[15:16] <xjessicarabitx> Question, will a commander, have to look at a command screen, to call down support/ airstrikes, and will that view 100% block whats going on, outside their mech?
[15:16] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> xjessicarabitx: yes
[15:16] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> but more will come on the commander role since it has changed drastically from what it was before

[15:17] <Kiyoshi101> Is the commander screen similar to mech commander 2?
[15:17] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> Kiyoshi101: you'll haave to wait to find out

[15:17] <FoxD> GO BUY FOUNDERS! GO BUY FOUNDERS! GO BUY FOUNDERS! GO BUY FOUNDERS! GO BUY FOUNDERS! GO BUY FOUNDERS!
[15:17] <FoxD> :)

[15:17] <Rot> Paul, Are there any plans of giving us the option of changing our 'Tags' up. I am all for us being forced to keep the same Pilot name but would like an option to add/change something before and after. Many MPBT vets enjoyed
this option for roleplaying. We considered them our uniform
[15:17] <zzSleeper> it has been stated that heavier mechs will earn more to compensate for increased repair costs. does this mean that the goal is for every mech to have the same expected net income before bonuses?
[15:17] <Kiyoshi101> Ok may i ask one last question? is there an excat date founders programme will end?
[15:18] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> Rot: that is something that will be discussed soon in an announcment
[15:18] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> Kiyoshi101: staff doesn't know.. that's a russ/bryan/IGP kind of question

[15:18] <smurtle> paul
[15:18] <smurtle> will you be my friend
[15:19] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> I'm no-one's friend

[15:19] <MechaDraco> Paul I dont suppose you could answer my question when it comes to the after battle free repairs, we know that they are supposed to be battle ready, which means they can be used again in another battle, but jsut how
much, is battle ready?
[15:19] <FoxD> Paul's only friend is a bottle of whiskey.
[15:19] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> MechaDraco: about 25% repaired

[15:20] <FoxD> Paul why are we still in the channel?
[15:20] <Rot> Paul, one last thing.. What did you think about the suggestion that the Dev's play Clan mechs (When being introduced) for a weeks/months and tearing up the InnerSphere players?
[15:20] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> Clans will not be discussed anytime in the near future

[15:20] <Rhiawhyn_Zerinth> Paul, I have an interesting question. Will it be possible to have custom private games (of which likely wont give monitary rewards) for practice and similer?
[15:21] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> private matches are a no

[15:21] <Drakeblade> Paul is their somethin that is goingto keep you from joining a game with full of people that didnt repair because we both know that if their is no limit it can and will happen.
[15:21] <Rhiawhyn_Zerinth> Or is it just matchmaking?
[15:22] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> To All Inquiring: There is no way that you will go too many rounds without money to repair... you will have to see what happens on release... Beta players a bit sooner.
[15:22] == [PGI]Omid was kicked from #mechwarrior by FoxD [Omid is how suffering from a critical existance failure.]
[15:22] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> Private matches are no for now
[15:23] <[PGI]Paul_Inouye> and I need to go finish up with some documentation on how to punish the engineers for their comments.

RAM
ELH

Edited by RAM, 11 July 2012 - 04:33 PM.

#2 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

private matches are a no

Well crap!

#3 whiskey tango foxtrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 1,075 posts
  • LocationWith the Wolfs

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:42 PM

Paul , so my only friend is a bottle of Whiskey (ya think ) does that mean we are blood brothers ??

#4 light487

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 04:47 PM

View PostSeth, on 11 July 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

Well crap!

I'm actually glad about that.. at least for the moment. We don't want to end up with multiple clans "owning" private servers/matches taking the player base away from the public games. Yes, maybe much later into the game life, I would be happy for this to happen.. but I've seen one too many games turn into a hunting match to find a non-passworded server/match for me to be happy about private matches so close to launch..

#5 BenEEeees VAT GROWN BACON

• 1,217 posts
  • LocationSingapore, South East Asia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

View Postwhiskey tango foxtrot, on 11 July 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

Paul , so my only friend is a bottle of Whiskey (ya think ) does that mean we are blood brothers ??

Posted Image

#6 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:17 PM

I wonder how they work out "about 25% of repairs" in a game like this. Well armor would be easy enough, but if there is component damage, is it on value or number of defects randomly assigned. Maybe its just they give you 25% of the total money to repair to full or something. Hmmm, answers always lead to more questions.

#7 light487

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,385 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:49 PM

View PostReoh, on 11 July 2012 - 06:17 PM, said:

I wonder how they work out "about 25% of repairs" in a game like this. Well armor would be easy enough, but if there is component damage, is it on value or number of defects randomly assigned. Maybe its just they give you 25% of the total money to repair to full or something. Hmmm, answers always lead to more questions.

I think you're over-thinking it. He said "about" 25%.. to give a rough idea of how battle ready your mech would be.. my guess is they just repair the critical stuff, enough to get you in the battle and that is around 25% in most cases.

I've also seen "10% repaired" thrown around before as well..

Edited by light487, 11 July 2012 - 06:49 PM.

#8 The Lobotomizer

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Did I miss something here? Was this after hours chat advertised before hand on the Forums so everyone could take a look?
We have to find out about this after the fact?

No private rooms for training etc? Fail....big time fail.

25% repair after match? Fail.

"There is no way you will go to many rounds without money to repair."

That means you may play a couple of rounds with a broken down Mech, half battle worthy.
This is not good.

So here's the deal, Paul, Garth and Russ...whoever.

I challenge you (bleep) to a Death Match.
Two of you in Jenners and Me in the much maligned Atlas.
Your pick of the map, time of day whatever.

If you win you can keep my $120 without giving me a refund and strip me of my Legendary status, and if I win
you pay for my Legendary and five other people's Legendary whom I choose. I don't even want Closed Beta Access...just to sweeten the pot.
Also the match is to be recorded and made available on your YouTube Account.

Simple. 2 Jenners Versus 1 Atlas.

I'm not even joking here. Man up.

Edited by The Lobotomizer, 11 July 2012 - 08:26 PM.

#9 Eximar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • LocationStill living in 3025

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

<[PGI]Paul_Inouye> Clans will not be discussed anytime in the near future

Wish we could have that on the forums.

#10 RAM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:12 PM

View PostEximar, on 11 July 2012 - 08:29 PM, said:

<[PGI]Paul_Inouye> Clans will not be discussed anytime in the near future

Wish we could have that on the forums.

I posted it here so it is easy to quote.

RAM
ELH

#11 Skadi

• 4,268 posts
  • LocationUtgarde Pinnacle

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

this thread is not complete untill paul himself posts within it.

#12 Tzeentch

• PipPipPip
  • The Scythe
  • The Scythe
  • 82 posts
  • LocationMaelstrom

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:20 PM

PROGRAMMED IN LISP?!!?! Damn serious business this game.

Edited by Tzeentch, 11 July 2012 - 10:25 PM.

#13 Reoh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 959 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:52 AM

View PostThe Lobotomizer, on 11 July 2012 - 08:24 PM, said:

Did I miss something here? Was this after hours chat advertised before hand on the Forums so everyone could take a look?
We have to find out about this after the fact?

No private rooms for training etc? Fail....big time fail.

25% repair after match? Fail.

"There is no way you will go to many rounds without money to repair."

That means you may play a couple of rounds with a broken down Mech, half battle worthy.
This is not good.

So here's the deal, Paul, Garth and Russ...whoever.

I challenge you (bleep) to a Death Match.
Two of you in Jenners and Me in the much maligned Atlas.
Your pick of the map, time of day whatever.

If you win you can keep my $120 without giving me a refund and strip me of my Legendary status, and if I win
you pay for my Legendary and five other people's Legendary whom I choose. I don't even want Closed Beta Access...just to sweeten the pot.
Also the match is to be recorded and made available on your YouTube Account.

Simple. 2 Jenners Versus 1 Atlas.

I'm not even joking here. Man up.

The 25% was the free auto-repair after match, you can still pay for more if it needs.

As for when, it looks like it was in the MWO chatroom.

#14 BigJim

• 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

View PostRAM, on 11 July 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

[15:00] <[PGI]JustSomeDude_MoveAlong> I see Omid and I are going to have to have a talk about the symbiotic relationship between Engineering and Design

View PostRAM, on 11 July 2012 - 04:30 PM, said:

[15:22] == [PGI]Omid was kicked from #mechwarrior by FoxD [Omid is how suffering from a critical existance failure.]

:D ;) :wub:

This is probably the most useful part of the discussion for me.

If you can't have fun with the guys you work with then there's little point doing the work; I'd far rather know that the devs can appreciate funny s*** than have every tiny little excruciating detail mapped out when I know I'll be playing in under a month anyway.

Edited by BigJim, 12 July 2012 - 07:50 AM.

#15 RAM

• The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 July 2012 - 02:34 PM

Laugh no doubt – always good to have fun!

#16 Saren21

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 231 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:22 PM

sweet thanks for the info OP.

#17 wargonglok

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 160 posts
  • LocationIowa, training my urbie combat skills in the sacred temple of the urbies

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:41 PM

Ram are you the one who did the transcript for the chat with the engineer?

you guys who type these up are great

and to the devs, keep up the good work!

#18 Mantra

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 64 posts
  • LocationDetroit, MI

Posted 13 July 2012 - 01:00 PM

"and I need to go finish up with some documentation on how to punish the engineers for their comments."

Bravo lol!

#19 miscreant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 823 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 02:57 PM

Private matches? You wanted the Mechwarrior game that you've always wanted? PFFFFT. Heck no.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users