Gman's Salty About Polar Highlands

284 replies to this topic

#1 XX Sulla XX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:28 AM

Interesting

"Polar Highlands is the best map in the game for anyone who doesn't like to play MWO."

http://www.nogutsnog...hp?topic=3724.0

#2 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:49 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 22 January 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

Interesting

"Polar Highlands is the best map in the game for anyone who doesn't like to play MWO."

awwwwww, please show us on the dolly where the nasty PGI made Gman have to think a little before going PEW PEW PEW

#3 Saint Scarlett Johan

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:02 AM

As an avid light/medium jock, I love this map.

Sure, the conquest points aren't in the best location, but the fact that you can't see the enemy from the start or 15 seconds in means my going and scouting to locate the enemy is worthwhile for once.

That's the best part about this map. The rest is just gravy.

#4 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:03 AM

View PostRaggedyman, on 22 January 2016 - 04:49 AM, said:

awwwwww, please show us on the dolly where the nasty PGI made Gman have to think a little before going PEW PEW PEW

depends on the mechdoll and where it's weapon hardpoints are.

#5 Parnage Winters

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 414 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:04 AM

1. Spawns are fine. I'd not be adverse to pushing them closer but it's a large map what did you expect?

2. Conquest caps are indeed terrible and need to be moved closer to the center with two far off, alpine had the same issue on release conquest. They really should know better. Assaults problems are more a problem with the game mode then the map itself.

3. LRM cover exists. Stop letting spotters hang out behind you. If you find yourself on a low hill, you are in bad spot most of the time. Trenches and gullies solve all of your issues and I've had no issues moving around while missiles rain down on the more.. bold members of teams. Lasers are fine, exposing yourself on this map can be quite punishing, brawling is possible just harder to do and not something you can do by simply charging at them using cover to cover, you genuinely need to loop around hitting from the side.

Conversely, Radar deprivation or ECM solves most problems.

#6 XX Sulla XX

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,094 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

View PostParnage, on 22 January 2016 - 05:04 AM, said:

1. Spawns are fine. I'd not be adverse to pushing them closer but it's a large map what did you expect?

2. Conquest caps are indeed terrible and need to be moved closer to the center with two far off, alpine had the same issue on release conquest. They really should know better. Assaults problems are more a problem with the game mode then the map itself.

3. LRM cover exists. Stop letting spotters hang out behind you. If you find yourself on a low hill, you are in bad spot most of the time. Trenches and gullies solve all of your issues and I've had no issues moving around while missiles rain down on the more.. bold members of teams. Lasers are fine, exposing yourself on this map can be quite punishing, brawling is possible just harder to do and not something you can do by simply charging at them using cover to cover, you genuinely need to loop around hitting from the side.

Conversely, Radar deprivation or ECM solves most problems.
Ya sure he just needs some tips on how to play it haha.

#7 Omi_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • 336 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:06 AM

I'm generally in agreement with Gman on many things, but not this. Right now, LRMs and ERLL are performing very well on this map because not enough people are playing the map to account for these weapons. I say: give it time, and assess the state of the game by looking at the higher tiers, where people tend to adapt more quickly.

EDIT: Also, I like the 1:30 before an engagement happens. It makes for a more dynamic match overall. Part of "playing MWO" is setting up for an engagement; scouting included therein.

Edited by Hornsby, 22 January 2016 - 05:08 AM.

#8 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:09 AM

I don't know who gman is, and I don't know why I, or anyone here should give a crap about his opinion, or why there is a thread about it.

#9 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:20 AM

View PostSkoll, on 22 January 2016 - 05:09 AM, said:

I don't know who gman is, and I don't know why I, or anyone here should give a crap about his opinion, or why there is a thread about it.

He's the guy who made metamechs.com and is an active comp player for SJR. By the same token who hell are you and why should anyone care about your opinion? If you don't care about who he is then why are you even posting in this thread?

#10 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:21 AM

View PostHornsby, on 22 January 2016 - 05:06 AM, said:

I'm generally in agreement with Gman on many things, but not this. Right now, LRMs and ERLL are performing very well on this map because not enough people are playing the map to account for these weapons. I say: give it time, and assess the state of the game by looking at the higher tiers, where people tend to adapt more quickly.

EDIT: Also, I like the 1:30 before an engagement happens. It makes for a more dynamic match overall. Part of "playing MWO" is setting up for an engagement; scouting included therein.

I like the wait for engagement as well. Does make scouting worthwhile. No point in the role if everyone knows that they are heading to the central structure or you get contact within 15 seconds.

I wonder whether the higher tiers are more able to adapt. They are after all the people that have learnt to deal with or use the current way the game plays. Therefore when something comes along to change this they will start from using previous solid tactics and look to find a way to use those tactics in the current environment.

Look at WWI the general's had all fought using cavalry and thought they would win by breaking the lines at one point then sending the horses in and sweeping round the flanks. That had worked previously and they tried to make it work again. A lot of the time you see generals fighting the previous war and not the current one.

The same could well be true of the higher tiers. They have developed an effective fighting style, such as nascar, poking, deathballing. If those tactics are not the right ones they complain that it is the maps fault.

polar highlands seems not to work with a of those tactics as there is no central structure, the viability is good but once you blow your cover your in trouble and it is extremely difficult for 12 mechs on the map to deathball without being spotted from a long way off and out manoeuvred.

It seems to me that it is a map that encourages lances and small group movement.

#11 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:27 AM

View PostGreyhart, on 22 January 2016 - 05:21 AM, said:

I wonder whether the higher tiers are more able to adapt.

They have to be. We've seen pop-tart meta, optimal clan mechs are better than everything meta, uberquirked thunderbolt/stalker meta, and now SRMS or laser vomit meta. I'm sure I've probably missed some other things as well, but with every shift, any player that fails to adapt just gets left behind and is no longer an alpha predator, so to speak.

#12 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:29 AM

View PostSkarlock, on 22 January 2016 - 05:20 AM, said:

He's the guy who made metamechs.com and is an active comp player for SJR. By the same token who hell are you and why should anyone care about your opinion? If you don't care about who he is then why are you even posting in this thread?

Because I can, jackass.

#13 Skarlock

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 328 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:34 AM

View PostSkoll, on 22 January 2016 - 05:29 AM, said:

Because I can, jackass.

So he can express his opinion too, jackass. Mull it over.

#14 Skoll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 994 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 05:38 AM

View PostSkarlock, on 22 January 2016 - 05:34 AM, said:

So he can express his opinion too, jackass. Mull it over.

Posted Image

Literally what some "comp" players opinion means.

#15 Brizna

• Liquid Metal
  • 1,361 posts
  • LocationCatalonia

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:03 AM

I found his opinion very insightful and I wholeheartedly agree, the map is not beyond hope, it actually has great potential but it needs a few fixes, hard cover being the most pressing concern, not in abundance to not change the spirit of the map, but some of it.

Also as he says, conquest is ludicrous in this map and the cap points need to get closer, maybe a 1-3-1 split, so that 3 cap points are relatively close to each other so the main confrontation happens there while 2 (the initial ones) are far so that there is also the dilemma about to cap or not to cap.

#16 TheCharlatan

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:18 AM

Gman points out some valid points: i agree that caps are too far from each other and that it could use more steep cover (not more in quantity, just more steep, that actually stops LRMs). I had problems finding cover for my jenner after being NARCed... don't want to think about what would happen if i was in a heavier mech.
I don't agree with the other stuff though.

#17 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:19 AM

Poor Gman.

#18 M T

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 351 posts
  • LocationGouda, South Holland

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:33 AM

Honestly have not experienced lurm rain myself, i assume only when narced its a major issue or with a tall mech.

Starting to 'accept' the map, but it still lacks any form of design, cover, assets, tactical....

#19 Mister Blastman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 8,444 posts
  • LocationIn my Mech (Atlanta, GA)

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:38 AM

View PostSkoll, on 22 January 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

Don't hate the player, hate the game, man.

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 22 January 2016 - 06:41 AM

View PostXX Sulla XX, on 22 January 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

Interesting

I generally could care less.

But not a shock, I guess it doesn't fit the perfect metahumper dream.

Proof you can be "comp" and still not be particularly tactical.

View PostM i n i MT, on 22 January 2016 - 06:33 AM, said:

Honestly have not experienced lurm rain myself, i assume only when narced its a major issue or with a tall mech.

Starting to 'accept' the map, but it still lacks any form of design, cover, assets, tactical....

Terrain seldom has "design".
Cover is very limited..concealment is not.
This is one of the most fluid tactical maps yet.

It's nice to have a map that actually punishes stationary peektarting for a change and is lacking a specific geographic feature for the lemmings to flock/hide around.

View PostSkoll, on 22 January 2016 - 05:38 AM, said:

Posted Image

I don't agree with you often, but totally agree here.

I can only assume that Gman really means: "Polar Highlands is the best map in the game for anyone who doesn't like to play PeekWarrior Online."

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users