Medium Recommendations

40 replies to this topic

#1 Donnybrook

• PipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:12 PM

Hey guys, I'd love your suggestions: which Inner Sphere Medium mech should I buy next?

I already have Shadowhawks and Griffins, which have been wicked fun mastering. As for playstyle, I'm fine with being adaptable. I like brawling, skirmishing, sniping, etc. To me, they're all a good time.

Thanks for your thoughts! Much appreciated.

Votes so far:
Hunchback: 8
Blackjack: 5
Enforcer: 3
Wolverine: 3
Centurion: 2
Cicada: 1 (it's gone plaid!)
Crab: 1

Special mention:
Da Urbie!

Edited by Garrick Kael, 10 February 2016 - 05:20 PM.

#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 08 February 2016 - 04:19 PM

View PostGarrick Kael, on 08 February 2016 - 04:12 PM, said:

Hey guys, I'd love your suggestions: which Inner Sphere Medium mech should I buy next?

I already have Shadowhawks and Griffins, which have been wicked fun mastering. As for playstyle, I'm fine with being adaptable. I like brawling, skirmishing, sniping, etc. To me, they're all a good time.

Thanks for your thoughts! Much appreciated.

Not much for limitations, so I guess sky's the limit. Black Jack is always good (even after they nerf its structure it will still be good). Can make it into dang near anything (brawler, skirmisher, sniper, etc.). Only thing it can't do is missiles.

Edited by Bud Crue, 08 February 2016 - 04:19 PM.

#3 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 08 February 2016 - 07:05 PM

I concur with Bud and would definitely recommend the Black Jacks. They are versatile and tank like no other medium in the game. One of my favorite chassis in game and definitely a great medium.

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 08 February 2016 - 08:31 PM

Well.... Have you tried lights yet? Cuz if not, the Cicada is the gateway mech to light piloting.

If you have, or aren't sure that's your thing, I think the HBK is always solid choice, and throw my vote in there.

~Leone.

#5 stealthraccoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,497 posts
  • Locationnestled in a burlap sack, down in the root cellar

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:12 PM

Urbanmech!

It's really just a medium mech that shed 20 excess pounds :) besides, name one medium mech that can fit under the ramps on HPG, and isn't that really what matters?

#6 TAKTCOM

• 1,568 posts
  • LocationRussia, Rostov-on-Don

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:22 PM

Enforcers is good.

#7 Chadamir Fitzkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 107 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 10:40 PM

HBK-4P
Why? 9 medium laser scalpel that cuts side torsos off like a carving knife through paper. That and going 94kph is pretty sweet.

#8 Veolfen

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2016 - 11:33 PM

Blackjack, Hunchback or Crabs.

#9 Donnybrook

• PipPipPip
  • The Nocturnal
  • The Nocturnal
  • 58 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:23 AM

View PostLeone, on 08 February 2016 - 08:31 PM, said:

Well.... Have you tried lights yet?

~Leone.

I have! Had a lot of fun mastering a couple variants of the Wolfhound and Panther (PPCs were hard to learn on the run!). I think that after I get another Medium under my belt, I'll pick either another Light class or Assault class to add to the mech hangar.

Addendum:

No one's mentioned the Centurion. Is that a mech out of favor?

Edited by Garrick Kael, 09 February 2016 - 12:29 AM.

#10 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 09 February 2016 - 12:55 AM

View PostFitzgeraId, on 08 February 2016 - 10:40 PM, said:

HBK-4P
Why? 9 medium laser scalpel that cuts side torsos off like a carving knife through paper. That and going 94kph is pretty sweet.

Dat ghost heat doe...

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:15 AM

For my part, I'd always recommend the Hunchback. It's not the king of the meta heap, but it does a lot of very different things very well, from mini-dakka with dual AC5/UAC5, to laservomit, to mixed loadout brawling, to good 'ol AC20 boom. Since nobody's mentioned them yet, I'll also tip my hat to the Centurions for classic sword-and-board brawling action.

While Blackjacks seem to be winning the vote so far, a word of caution: they're currently severely overquirked, PGI is aware of the fact, and they will quite shortly be on the receiving end of some major nerfs. If the chassis speaks to you, then by all means buy it, but if you aren't sure about it hold off until after the next rebalance patch to see where it ends up. Right now they're pretty much the best medium chassis in the game, but historically they've been lower-middle-tier 'Mechs (albeit very fun ones).

#12 DevlinCognito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 504 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:24 AM

Wolverine. You have a dakka chassis, a laser chassis, and a straight out brawler. Solid Mechs, good variety of playstyles (while the 6R is good for dakka, it also makes a pretty good lurm-isher if you are that way inclined).

Complete the triumvirate!

#13 Exard3k

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,010 posts
  • LocationEast Frisia in Germany

Posted 09 February 2016 - 01:27 AM

Hunchback for brawling (4G, 4SP), Blackjack for Sniping (BJ-3, Arrow, BJ-1), Cicada for ludicrous speed (scouting, flanking, a light mechs work with a bigger punch, also check 3M for ECM and UAC5).

#14 DrnkJawa

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 488 posts
  • LocationIn an urbie aiming at your crotch

Posted 09 February 2016 - 02:10 AM

For brawling Enforcer 4P especially since its still on sale dirt cheap. You get a mech with a 250 engine, FF, ES and DHS all stock for 4million cbills(without sale)

#15 Guitar Czar

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 48 posts
  • LocationAZ

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:08 AM

For some reason I still do better in my HBK-4SP than any other mech, it's ridiculous what an SRM 12 and 5 Med Lasers can accomplish. But maybe this is because people ignore me for other priority targets? Hunchbacks are good though, surprisingly fast and agile once elited.

#16 InsaneRotta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 104 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInside a cheap barely functioning dropship.

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:30 AM

View PostGuitar Czar, on 09 February 2016 - 03:08 AM, said:

For some reason I still do better in my HBK-4SP than any other mech, it's ridiculous what an SRM 12 and 5 Med Lasers can accomplish. But maybe this is because people ignore me for other priority targets? Hunchbacks are good though, surprisingly fast and agile once elited.

The hunchback is a nice versatile chassis. Respectable speed and firepower. The 4SP is currently THE structure monster (160 total) boasting bigger structure quirks than the Atlas (149 total).

#17 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:54 AM

View PostGarrick Kael, on 09 February 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

I have! Had a lot of fun mastering a couple variants of the Wolfhound and Panther (PPCs were hard to learn on the run!). I think that after I get another Medium under my belt, I'll pick either another Light class or Assault class to add to the mech hangar.

Addendum:

Well, it has lost some of its appeal for people due to the large size, lack of jump jets, and relatively lower engine cap.

That said, it's still one of my favorite mechs. I run a YLW and the AL mostly. YLW is traditional, sword and board style.

The AL runs 3 LL, and the quirks for it are really great. If you want ridiculous, you can grab the D, and run around with an autoshotty blasting fools until you run out of ammo (about 20 seconds or so).

Don't be afraid to XL the Centurions now (even though I don't usually), because their lack of hardpoints generally means you need the extra weight to load up on larger weapons. I've been thinking of upgrading my AL to 3xLPL since their energy quirks were made more generic.

#18 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:23 PM

View PostGarrick Kael, on 09 February 2016 - 12:23 AM, said:

Addendum:

I enjoy, and am still working on mastering my centurions. I suggested the HBK instead because the hunch pulls the weapons in closer to the cockpit, which I like for the ambiance. Also, whilest both have variants that can run dual uac5s, the centurion runs the ballistics in the arm, whereas the HBK-4G keeps them in the safer, closer, hunch. The centurion an the hunchback have the same tonnage, an thus similar build considerations, but I like the loadout of the HBKs more for my playstyle. (Which by the way is 'nasty, brutish and short-lived.')

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 09 February 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#19 Chados

• 1,948 posts
  • LocationSomewhere...over the Rainbow

Posted 09 February 2016 - 03:55 PM

I'm like Devlin. Wolverine all the way, the 6R is outstanding and can pack three SRM6 or ASRM4s!

#20 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 09 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostChados, on 09 February 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

I'm like Devlin. Wolverine all the way, the 6R is outstanding and can pack three SRM6 or ASRM4s!

Really there are tons of good reasons to play most of the IS mediums, but vote would also be on the Wolverine. I've been having tons of fun levelling up mine, and yep, 3xSRM6 is brutal. The only problem is that I somehow tend to be overly aggressive in my Wolverines, and the results are often embarrassing though occasionally spectacular.

Cannot go wrong with Blackjacks, if direct fire support is your thing. Got autocannon, laser and PPC builds for that purpose. I also wouldn't worry too much about about the nerfs, they'll still be great mechs.

AC20 Hunchback is glorious, and the other variants have an incredible diversity.

View Poststealthraccoon, on 08 February 2016 - 10:12 PM, said:

Urbanmech!

It's really just a medium mech that shed 20 excess pounds Posted Image besides, name one medium mech that can fit under the ramps on HPG, and isn't that really what matters?

Solid argument is solid. Besides, there's a variant with an AC20 in the stock loadout, so it cannot possibly be a light.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users