23 replies to this topic

#1 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 05:54 AM

OK I love playing assault mechs like my atlas, dires, warhawks, battlemasters, and so on. But I do not have any Victors. So I am thinking about getting some while I wait for the Rifleman and Archer go on CBill. Which variants should I get and with out going to meta mechs what builds do you suggest?

#2 DeRazer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 134 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:07 AM

Victors are in a hard place right now. I loved them but JJ nerfs, lack of quirks (relative to other mechs), PPC/Gauss desync, and the recent overall reduction in mobility from the pilot skills nerfs leave them horribly vulnerable.

Maybe a shrinking due to rescale might help them a little - and some mobility improvements.

I would steer clear for now. Banshees still put up a good show....

#3 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:02 PM

victor is one of the single worst mechs in mwo which is sad!

the mechs that need to be fixed cause their state is terrible include vindicator, trebuchet and yes victor.

however, people more often than not build it wrong. - your best bet is not to take the poptart approach because that was nerfed and does not work in the game anymore.

build it like this guy

using the jumpjets to brawl more effectively, turning with them and avoiding deadly shots that way then on your way down you can hit em hard

#4 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 12:36 PM

if i had to build one this is what i would do

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...083aaad8fe69988

#5 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 11 February 2016 - 01:26 PM

They used to be jacked-up, jumping, assault centurions... now they're just sad mechs that are outclassed and outgunned.

For the record I would do this:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...751e577e05b4d9b

Keep it real mobile, relatively cool and with a big short range punch.

EDIT: This can also hit pretty hard if you trade a bit of speed
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...241e921fbc2e185

Edited by N a p e s, 11 February 2016 - 01:28 PM.

#6 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 11 February 2016 - 06:52 PM

It's a POS for assault and this coming from someone who use to love them. The new meta and nerfs have put baby in the corner for now.

#7 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:12 PM

Victors flew too close to the OP Sun.

Now they have fallen, and JJ couldnt soften the landing.

#8 Takashi Uchida

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 496 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 12:19 AM

Don't do it! It's a crappy mech that isn't even fun (as opposed to crappy mechs that are fun, like Awesomes, Locusts, etc)

Let's take some time to remember the days where a premade of Highlanders, Victors, and Cataphracts could smack you with 120 points of concentrated damage and then instantly disappear behind a hill. Great times!

Victors used to be great when Jump Jets were more like Flight Jets, and PPCs/AC5s/Gauss synced extremely well. Now with JJ nerfs, PPC heat/speed nerfs, AC5 speed nerfs, Gauss charge, all that jazz, the Victor's shortcomings are on display.

-Missile tube limitation (seriously, 10-5-2? wtf)
-It's an 80 ton assault, but the health quirks are only on the legs!
-Only 2-3 energy hardpoints, cannot boat lasers, low in the arms
-Low arm ballistics, only two variants can fit an AC20.

-DPS ballistic/laser Victor isn't very good. Low slow arms + only 80 tons with no useful armor/structure quirks
-AC20/SRM/ML like you would in that Atlas is probably the best bet, but it's a super downgraded version of that.

I have a mastered Victor champion I got in an event (after the poptart nerfs), I can barely keep the W/L and K/D in the green. [Maybe I'm just crap, but you won't find too many people making the "there are no bad mechs, just bad pilots" argument for the Victor nowadays]

Edited by Takashi Uchida, 12 February 2016 - 12:20 AM.

#9 oldradagast

• Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 12 February 2016 - 08:47 AM

Victors are junk right now.

- Overload on ballistics weapons in one location to the point where they often can't effectively use all their hardpoints.
- Terrible lack of backup weapons: A pair of lasers and a messed up mix of missiles is about all they offer
- Horrible hitboxes: They are honestly almost as bad as the Awesome with their height and huge side torsos
- Lousy twist range: They also can't roll damage well
- Low, wide hardpoints: Most of your weapons are in your low, wide arms, so you'll be missing - a lot - and having to full expose your mech to get hits. Again, much like the Awesome... heck, even the Awesomes have an energy hardpoint in the head!
- Messed up missile tubes: they aren't the only mechs to suffer from PGI's utter inability to code missile hardpoint size limitations logically, but their tiny, random tube counts are both useless for LRM's and mostly useless for SRM's
- Poor jump jets: One of the Victor's strengths is jump-jets, but they are now "Hover Jets" and only useful for slowly flying over small obstacles if you're in a mech any heavier than a light mech.

In short, they are trash, and I sold mine month ago and have never regretted it, unlike some my Awesomes, that I miss now and then until I remember how bad they were, even if they were fun to play when they worked. The Victor, however, felt like a dismal, sluggish target - no fun at all.

If you like ballistics in that tonnage range, both the Zeus and Battlemaster offer ballistics options, but with far more backup weapons, better hard-point placement, and better hitboxes

If you like missiles and energy, almost any other mech in the 80 to 85 tonnage range will perform better than the Victor. Heck, I'd even say Awesomes can hold their own against them in their nerfed state.

If you like Jump Jet mobility, stick with lighter mechs until jumpjets on heavies and assaults are useful again in combat.

Edited by oldradagast, 12 February 2016 - 08:49 AM.

#10 stuntmahn

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

I'm just gonna echo the sentiment; Victors are **** at the moment. Wait until March to see if theres a quirk-pass coming for them before buying any.

Another build for you VTR-9B

#11 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:46 AM

As someone that didn't get to play them before the nerf, I'm going to not echo the sentiment and tell you to get one for CBills and see if it sticks with you.

I've got a Dragon Slayer built roughly like this: 2 LPL, 2 AC5, 3? JJs, XL330. I love it, it's fast and mobile, doesn't overheat and behaves like a Centurion on steroids, with jump jets. My average match damage is 350, not the biggest in my stable by any stretch, but it's still a fun mech to play. The thing is that you need to adapt your playstyle to it, think more like a second line heavy than a first line assault - you need to poke a lot with the LPLs and open up the AC5s on big targets when they're not focusing you. I also have the Champion built pretty much the same, but with UAC5's instead of regular ACs.

Edited by aaykeem, 24 February 2016 - 04:48 AM.

#12 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 February 2016 - 05:22 AM

They are joke of an assault. Its the size of an atlas with a none of its armor. You have to run them with a huge engine or other mechs just pick you apart. Its greatest asset is its biggest downfall. The AC/20 mounted in the arm is a killer, yet by the time you get into its effective range, you have no armor left to brawl.

If it was the size of the Zeus, then it would function a hell of a lot better.

#13 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:09 AM

They are definitely not the same size as an Atlas.
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3409698

The Victor tanks as well as any other 80 ton mech, it's not supposed to brawl as well as a 100 ton assault.

EDIT: Actually, looking at hitboxes, it seems better than the Zeus:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3605656
Bigger arm hitboxes, bigger leg hitboxes, smaller torso hitboxes.

Edited by aaykeem, 24 February 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#14 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:55 AM

View Postaaykeem, on 24 February 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

They are definitely not the same size as an Atlas.
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3409698

The Victor tanks as well as any other 80 ton mech, it's not supposed to brawl as well as a 100 ton assault.

EDIT: Actually, looking at hitboxes, it seems better than the Zeus:
http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__3605656
Bigger arm hitboxes, bigger leg hitboxes, smaller torso hitboxes.

The Zeus is one of the tankies assaults.....The Victor isnt even on the same level as the Zeus.

and yes the Victor is only about a head shorter than the Atlas but is just as wide.

Edited by mogs01gt, 24 February 2016 - 08:55 AM.

#15 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 February 2016 - 09:29 AM

I wish I could say something good about them, because they used to rule the battlefield. Seriously one of the easiest XP builders I had for a while.

But the nerf hammer hit them HARD and they've never recovered.

As an 80 ton Assault with next to no structure quirks (legs), they're extremely squishy. Lore-wise, this would be balanced off by being very agile, but the Victor is the opposite of that, having "hoverjets" that barely get it off the ground. It's in about the same place as the Highlander right now, and it needs a lot of Help.

I'd get a Zeus instead.

#16 Steinkrieg

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 144 posts
  • LocationNOLA

Posted 25 February 2016 - 12:25 PM

I agree with all of the others that say to avoid the Victor. I'd avoid the Highlander as well. After all of the nerfs, those two mechs are nearing the bottom of the barrel.

#17 MadHornet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 529 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in Florida

Posted 28 February 2016 - 02:55 PM

VTR-9S

This is my build. The speed helps a LOT. Very devastating brawler. Anyone who disses the Victor, I beg differ.

#18 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 29 February 2016 - 08:07 AM

Tried out your build MadHornet. Not bad. Only issue is the problem in some maps, Polar Highlands, etc that you have to wait till the battle gets in close before you can do your damage. Jump Jetting and twisting to spread damage is what i do best on this mech then fire when you have a target. Needs more internal structure quirks like the atlas before I would switch over to using this in CW or more serious matches.

#19 Dawnstealer

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 29 February 2016 - 09:08 AM

This mech's squishy anyways. Might as well go big:

DRAGON SLAYER

#20 aaykeem

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 82 posts

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:48 AM

View PostDawnstealer, on 29 February 2016 - 09:08 AM, said:

This mech's squishy anyways. Might as well go big:

DRAGON SLAYER

Are you activelly running this build? Seems a bit hot. I'd drop to a 390XL and shave some armor off the arms/legs to put some DHS into that engine.
It's very close to what I'm experimenting with right now, just that I've got a smaller engine and fitted a third LPL in the arm (not perfectly satisfied with how it handles when trading, because the third LPL is useless when peeking, but in an all-out brawl it helps get the damage in).

Edited by aaykeem, 01 March 2016 - 12:51 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users