Mental Illness And Mwo

62 replies to this topic

#1 Percy Veer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 12:58 PM

I have asperger's and an I.Q. measured in the 140's.

Yay for me.

I shall not read any comments to this post, and by logic, reply to this post.

You do know that the minority ruin this game for the many?

I have now turned to doing mass blocking and treating this game as a single-player experience.

I didi want to join in.

I know my voice can be grating, my tactics weird...but workable...

Anyway...I suffer triggers...my mental illness is not internal, but external...I build up experiences over time and that means your little comment here or there adds to it. It gets to a point I implode and became a total ***. Then I hate myself...go into depression and mood swings.

Right now I don't know what to say!

I'm enjoying Elite:Dangerous...I have a Force-feed-back Sidewinder 2 so it's cool.

Anyway...I win about 80% of games I've give verbal commands to.

I've been shot in the back by my own side, yelled at, and absolutey treated in an obnoxious way.

Okay...I'm asperger's...but I do my best to not be like that.

I have had so much abuse thrown at me that I...have walked away from my favourite game...and gone into serious depression.

I know I'm not amazing, and thrown by my ill-wired-brain I can be odd, but I often win battles when listened to.

It's sad really, and so wounding to the soul.

#2 Cion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 750 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:05 PM

Dude, sorry for all the trolls. Life is kinda like that, and it's accentuated in the internet.

Try to focus your attention on what you are good at, which could be doing well in a match, having fun with this game, or simply something else. It can be hard bu you can focus on the stuff you are good and disregard the dumb things (like hurtful comments).

Take care of yourself dude.

#3 Marauder3D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 744 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:12 PM

Have fun where you can and enjoy the game.

Part of life we all can relate to is just brushing your shoulder off and let letting negative comments roll off your back like water off of a ducks hiney.

Good luck man.

#4 Percy Veer

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:13 PM

View PostCion, on 17 February 2016 - 01:05 PM, said:

Dude, sorry for all the trolls. Life is kinda like that, and it's accentuated in the internet.

Try to focus your attention on what you are good at, which could be doing well in a match, having fun with this game, or simply something else. It can be hard bu you can focus on the stuff you are good and disregard the dumb things (like hurtful comments).

Take care of yourself dude.

Sadly...I can do these sorts of things....

But I cannot defend myself against arses...but at times I become an arse in defence...if that makes sense. Seriously...I have extemely high logic, but no emotional defence whatsoever.

#5 Chuck Jager

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:15 PM

You are not the only one.

I am low on the Asperger's scale but also suffer from insulin dependent Diabetes and it is hard to focus on keeping my blood sugars stable. So my ability to play well with others is not consistent.

It is also hard when you realize that you do not see many social cues or react to situations as others would. It is also just as sad that folks do not give you credit for the patterns and talents you have been given. I also was let down when I found out that my ability to draw realistically and see how patterns are used in systems is just as much part of a mental disorder as a talent.

I have to limit myself to activities that have a clear goal that others also see as a priority. I also have to count the number or times I respond in a conversation and I do not keep my mic on for PUG play in any game.

Without video games I would be even more at a loss, and this is common for many folks on the Autism spectrum.

Just do what you do well and hopefully find a place to use your skills. All of us need to work on fitting in and knowing our limits.

#6 riverslq

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 443 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

I would take serious advantage of the 'mute' for individual players command during games if you hear enough **** to affect you.

I took control of a game last night (which I rarely do) after we were getting shredded one lemming at a time on HPG manifold. The red team camped underneath, and one by one players on my team would try to snipe them and get killed, or run through and get utterly wasted.

At 5 players down, I said screw this. I need someone to go cap their base to pull them out. A stormcrow obliged, and one by one the red team exited all while getting shot quite literally in the back by what was remaining of the blues.

We won 12-9.

I got bitched at by I believe the SC for not sending him any help at their base, but the goal wasn't to cap.

It was to kill.

The moral of the story? ****'em.
Do what you have to do, and mute the rest. Posted Image

Edited by riverslq, 17 February 2016 - 01:17 PM.

#7 Jaster Me Reel

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:23 PM

Are you in a unit? Maybe finding the right unit to drop with could help. Most of my unit razz each other but we really stay away from being downright mean. Some of the best players in this game are extremely nice and respectful. I dropped with an individual (from what I would consider one the best units in the game) and he kept saying "sir" to me. I was taken aback because you don't find that kind of politeness in the game very often. People project their shortcomings on others. It's a fact.

#8 himself

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 218 posts
  • LocationRear-View Camera

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:24 PM

I think the question on everyone's mind is, why are you seeking acceptance or sympathy from random strangers on the internet?

View PostJaster Scarn, on 17 February 2016 - 01:23 PM, said:

People project their shortcomings on others. It's a fact.

People make up random feel-good "facts" in an attempt to understand other people and justify a stranger's actions in their eyes.

Edited by himself, 17 February 2016 - 01:27 PM.

#9 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:30 PM

View PostPercy Veer, on 17 February 2016 - 12:58 PM, said:

Anyway...I suffer triggers...my mental illness is not internal, but external...I build up experiences over time and that means your little comment here or there adds to it. It gets to a point I implode and became a total ***. Then I hate myself...go into depression and mood swings.

Are you sure you should be on the internet then? Serious question.

#10 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:32 PM

I hope this guy and his IQ of 140 figured out that MWO can be a very enjoyable experience if you mute VOIP and all kinds of chat. It's not as socially rewarding, you don't get to experience teamwork in the same way, but it's still a good time if you like the core of the game.

Oh well.

#11 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:33 PM

View PostAlistair Winter, on 17 February 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

I hope this guy and his IQ of 140 figured out that MWO can be a very enjoyable experience if you mute VOIP and all kinds of chat. It's not as socially rewarding, you don't get to experience teamwork in the same way, but it's still a good time if you like the core of the game.

Oh well.

I used to play with VOIP muted but found that I was missing a lot on tactical information. The trolls just get muted, YAY!

#12 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:41 PM

View Postmogs01gt, on 17 February 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

I used to play with VOIP muted but found that I was missing a lot on tactical information. The trolls just get muted, YAY!

I used to mute everything for a while. Like OP, I can be a bit sensitive from time to time. But eventually, I decided that the positives outweighed the negatives, so I enabled everything again.

I would never stop playing MWO just because I didn't want to mute chat / VOIP.

#13 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

Only real solution is....

Don´t pug. Find a solid group that can drop with you and stick with them. It is actually not as hard as it seems, you would be surprised hw understanding and accepting people are.

#14 Chuck Jager

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,031 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

I found some links on similar topic on the SWTOR forum
http://www.swtor.com...ad.php?t=516139
http://www.swtor.com...ad.php?t=521895

and especially this one
Kicked out of guild for mental disability- what do i do?
http://www.swtor.com...ead.php?t=99053
this tries to address who has responsibility for what in a bad situation both legally and socially.
My own experience is that I need to be up front before anything is ever an issue. I also need for folks to see that I am aware that I may need some help with certain situations and if I may need to ask how my actions are being received so folks feel comfortable saying the same thing. With the Asperger's part of the equation, letting folks know that I am not bothered by a direct "hey buddy quiet it down" instead of just waiting until they can not take any more of it. I also try to volunteer my services for the things many folks get bothered by that are completely off my radar. Also folks say they want the truth, what they want is polite, comfortable and predictable. Folks with Asperger's do better finding the folks who actually want the truth, and then realizing that their may not be a good fit with many others.

I had a friend in college who was born without arms.
He needed help carrying his lunch tray to the table. You would see the pain in some people's faces when he asked them to do this. He would always calmly reply "I have no arms. Could you please help me". Some people are really scared by confronting anything outside their comfort zone. Once he said it was ok to admit that somebody really does have no arms and is willing to address the fact, folks immediately forgot the issue. He also said that "everybody has disabilities, and that [he] was lucky enough to know what his is the day [he] was born".

OK now I am start to obsess - good luck.

feel free to pm me or Mech Jager (alt) in game for any reason.

Edited by Chuck Jager, 17 February 2016 - 01:55 PM.

#15 Remains Intact

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 01:58 PM

Sorry you have a hard time interacting with humans.

You will obviously be reading the replies to this thread.

While you may employ successful tactics when giving orders your reported statistic of 80% win rate is probably an exaggeration if it's in reference to solo Q. Typically you'd be hard pressed to hit 70% over a sample size of a few hundred games.

80-99% win rates can be achieved when running stacked 8-12 man groups though.

#16 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,705 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:00 PM

Man if my unit can put up with me running my mouth.
Then you should have no problems.
And beside nobody plays to lose.
I play Pug Commander all the time, and only rarely get a STFU from the antisocial git brigade.
Play your game and if someone complains tell them to kindly mute you.
I would normally use a bit harsher language, but I gotta keep it PGI

#17 Johnny Z

• Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:03 PM

While MechWarrior Online, being low on calories, is most well known for being a part of weight loss programs and fitness programs, its is becoming more notable for its ability to improve mental fitness as well. MechWarrior Online is slowly becoming famous for honing mental alertness and even improving ones mood and character. This explains comments made by none players about how happy, intelligent and even good looking MechWarrior Online players are.

#18 mogs01gt

• Shredder
  • 4,292 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:04 PM

I like the OPs user name!!!

#19 Dimento Graven

• Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 6,208 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:06 PM

View PostPercy Veer, on 17 February 2016 - 01:13 PM, said:

Spoiler
Damnit you said you weren't going to reply!

JK... Nice vids!

#20 RoboPatton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 794 posts

Posted 17 February 2016 - 02:07 PM

It's hard to care about raging-try-hards and drunk-arm-chair-generals in MWO, screaming at the end of the match because, well some times matches (and the team) sucks, deal w it.

I usually respond with "welcome to puglyfe". Soon as I hit the "leave game" at the end of the match, the twa... twits, we'll call them, are no longer on my mind.

Tear into some rando-pug with name calling and general ash-hole'iness gets you reported, and blocked, with a quickness.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users