• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:24 AM

View Postxti, on 14 July 2012 - 06:12 AM, said:

there are a couple of reasons i can think of:

6. curiosity&fun: i´ve cheated before, in counterstrike beta 2.5 against some friends on a lanparty. around year 1999/2000. on the last day everybody (~14 man) just loaded his game up with as much cheats as he could find. it was hilarious, good old days ;)

Not cheating if everybody is doing the same because that was the gameplay you ALL chose.

That's what's called "Having a blast"

Edited by Gremlich Johns, 14 December 2014 - 08:24 AM.

#102 MadLibrarian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 334 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationYou Essay

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

In my experience with cheaters (primarily catching them), the hyper competitive crowd aren't necessarily the ones who cheat. Besides a few outliers in the group who want to keep up, most of them genuinely want to be good at the game. They truly want to see how good they can be.

The most common cases of confirmed cheating were members of gaming groups who play multiple games together. For fear of being chastised by their peers, they turned to cheats to keep up in the games in which they aren't as good. They can't be a top player in one game, and be respected as such but then treated as a n00b in another game. They can get extremely defensive about denying it and might eventually become true jerks as a method of coping. Eventually they can wind up deluding themselves into believing they are good without the cheats, but use them anyway because it's "fun".

Trolling, or the love of pissing others off, is pretty common these days. In reality, it can be indicative of sociopathy, but I digress as it's not necessarily the case in the gaming world. They can have motivations ranging from pure lulz to vengeance. They are annoying and can ruin the fun for a lot of people, but they'll usually admit the cheating and not actually do it all the time anyway.

It's important to give positive and negative reinforcement when it's appropriate. If you or your friend does something that is socially unacceptable, like bigotry or cheating, be sure you aren't tacitly approving the behavior by laughing and not expressing disapproval. This is true all the time, but especially potent when you are looked up to by someone.

Edited by MadLibrarian, 14 December 2014 - 04:37 PM.

#103 AUSSIETROOPER4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 180 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 10:43 PM

I have only noticed wierd happenings in game which I assumed was just the servers being in canadia.
Also griefers shooting peeps in the back.

I had a stomach full of it in war of the roses though.

How or what do people do to cheat in this game?

Edited by AUSSIETROOPER4, 14 December 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#104 Daelen Rottiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 334 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:10 AM

It's sad but it is part of human nature - faster, harder, stronger.

If some are not able to catch up they use forbidden ways/tactics to achieve, as long as they are aware not to face any consequences. You can see it nearly everywhere - politics, money, job, sports - just pick a categorie.

If PGI would care more, spectate, check players and spit out harder consequences like permanently ban an account we wouldn't have many cheaters around.

Luckily not every human being is like that.

#105 Darth Futuza

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 06:51 AM

View PostAUSSIETROOPER4, on 14 December 2014 - 10:43 PM, said:

Also griefers shooting peeps in the back.

That's a legitimate tactic though. You don't honestly expect me to try to fight your Atlas face to face with my Raven do you?

#106 Revengex

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 92 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:45 AM

The best entity in place to stop cheating is PGI. But that doesn't increase profit so tough nuggets. PGI does not have this as a priority.

#107 Dagon Zur

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 142 posts

Posted 24 February 2015 - 01:21 AM

Cheating is bad, mkay?

#108 Catra Lanis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,182 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:56 AM

Don' get it, the purpose of a game is to win within a given set of rules. A win achieved by cheating is null and void.

I do however make a distinction between dirty tactics and outright cheating. In the latter category I would place aimbots, wallhacks and exploits that may or may not be depending on a bug. Come to think of it I would place feathering your jumpjets there because the purpose of the jumpjets is not to mess upp your hitboxes so that's getting an advantage you weren't intended to have. Exploiting in other words.

#109 justin xiang

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 585 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationTexas

Posted 24 February 2015 - 12:10 PM

Either because of their incompetance and concern about either their internal or external image or for lulz. I have a friend who bots on Final Fantasy XI and talks about it all the time. He explains that the people who don't bot are just suckers...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users