653 replies to this topic

#221 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:43 PM

View PostBiclor Moban, on 16 May 2016 - 11:34 AM, said:

I think you misunderstood what Camping infers.
1. Being so far from the fight as to be ineffective
2. Not being present or willing to exploit a opportunity to gain the upper hand.
3. Being an observer the death of your teammates.
4. Not being able to distract with fire or presence the enemy when your team falters.
5. Instances where you take 3 min to reposition and fire 0 times in that period.
6. In general being a douche.

I feel just fine BTW not even a bit agitated.

nascaring across the whole map isnt very constructive also ;)

#222 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:01 PM

View Postshr84, on 20 May 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

nascaring across the whole map isnt very constructive also Posted Image

Depending upon situation...

If you "nascar" and not look out for your team's tail (aka: Don't support your teammates once the enemy is found), than yes.

If you "nascar" along a flank, and support your team by pulling enemy fire away from them and in the opposite direction...

It's a matter of what tactics we refer to and are using. But, if you mean the standard "Nascar" of "running along the map in a circle", than yeah. I don't know why people do that. They'll continue to run in the same direction, even if they know the enemy is starting to attack their team in the opposite direction...

#223 Luscious Dan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:17 PM

If they ignore the threat and let the team die while they run around in a circle, they get to feel good about themselves being the last one standing and claim that their team let them down. Nothing like a good old fashioned feedback loop.

#224 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

View Postshr84, on 20 May 2016 - 12:43 PM, said:

nascaring across the whole map isnt very constructive also ;)

B-b-but i painted racing stripes on my mechs and everything!

#225 GetinmyBellah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationWest Palm Beach, USA

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:01 PM

While plenty of good advice and truth has been spoken throughout this thread. I feel the need to add that if it's a PUG...
Well, then to each his own, even if your standard meta build -- do as you please. Stick around to the end of the match if you're new to the game and pay close attention to players that are doing well in any given match. Regardless, at the end of the day this is still 'just a game' when PUG'ing it. I feel everyone should feel free to use any Mech of their choosing; play however their hearts desire; and have FUN in doing so, unless you're dropping with a team where teamplay, listening and following marching orders are a must!

Yet, trying to organize a PUG or have anyone listen to the most basic of strategies is a lost cause. Just as trying to tell anyone what to arm their Mech's with in the forums, or trying to help someone in game with their loadout or playstyle, is also a lost cause. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of the playerbase rarely if ever visit the forums. The same can be said for most any game. Anyhow, there's my pennies worth. While I generally try to throw in my nickels worth I feel I only gave a penny to this discussion, if that much even.

To each their own & Good Hunting <o

#226 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:10 AM

View PostSenex Man, on 20 May 2016 - 03:01 PM, said:

While plenty of good advice and truth has been spoken throughout this thread. I feel the need to add that if it's a PUG...
Well, then to each his own, even if your standard meta build -- do as you please. Stick around to the end of the match if you're new to the game and pay close attention to players that are doing well in any given match. Regardless, at the end of the day this is still 'just a game' when PUG'ing it. I feel everyone should feel free to use any Mech of their choosing; play however their hearts desire; and have FUN in doing so, unless you're dropping with a team where teamplay, listening and following marching orders are a must!

Yet, trying to organize a PUG or have anyone listen to the most basic of strategies is a lost cause. Just as trying to tell anyone what to arm their Mech's with in the forums, or trying to help someone in game with their loadout or playstyle, is also a lost cause. Not to mention the fact that the vast majority of the playerbase rarely if ever visit the forums. The same can be said for most any game. Anyhow, there's my pennies worth. While I generally try to throw in my nickels worth I feel I only gave a penny to this discussion, if that much even.

To each their own & Good Hunting <o

Why play a team game if you dont want to play as part of team? There are vast numbers of single player games out there which you can play to hearts content and do what you want without impacting other people . If you sign up for a team game dont be surprised when you get complaints for doing what you want at the expense of other peoples enjoyment. I am rather sick and tired of this selfish argument about 3 or 4 people funs that means destroying everyone else's enjoyment. You have two choices play to win and part of team or get bitched at unitil you do.

#227 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:22 PM

View PostAlbino Boo, on 22 May 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

Why play a team game if you dont want to play as part of team? There are vast numbers of single player games out there which you can play to hearts content and do what you want without impacting other people . If you sign up for a team game dont be surprised when you get complaints for doing what you want at the expense of other peoples enjoyment. I am rather sick and tired of this selfish argument about 3 or 4 people funs that means destroying everyone else's enjoyment. You have two choices play to win and part of team or get bitched at unitil you do.

I constantly hear "Cheesy LRM noob!" when I play. Hearing friend or foe complain about my LRMs will not deter me from using them. I will still use them, especially when match score, damage, kills and kill assist scores for me are well above those who are complaining, and I'm limping (or dead) by the end of the match (because I'm not hiding in the back). (Then again, I'm very well known for pressing into the very front of the team, when no one else will move forwards because "this rock looks safe".)

11-23 other people shouldn't "dictate" to me what mech, build and weapons I should use. Yes, it's a team game. I'll work with you, but you also have to work with me. Street goes two ways.

Now, instead of complaining and trying to exclude members of your team, one could always try to provide assistance and advice to said plays. Someone is an LRM boat? Instead of "denying them locks because I don't want them to get my kill/assist/damage", you should try to maintain locks* (if you can without dieing). Wont tell you how many times I've mentioned that I have "some" LRMs, and I hear my own teammates rant and then refuse to get any locks. (I've even jokingly said "Don't make me get my own locks. You wont like me if I have to get my own locks. :P". When I did that, people laughed, but many still didn't even bother to press R. I ended up being top match score for my team, fighting a hit and run battle against the enemy and being on the front lines. It was a rare gem of a match for me...)

You claim it's a team game. Than people should be treating it as such. However, that doesn't give anyone (besides maybe units and their members when teamed together, because you are normally getting geared up for a strategy, but even then) the right to dictate to anyone else how "they should play/enjoy the game". As long as they are following the rules of the game, than sorry, you can't tell them how to have their fun. (This excludes griefing, team killing, team damaging (intentionally), etc. These types of player "fun" are against the game rules, and should be reported/"dictated against". But then again, that isn't our context here.)

* Side note: I always tell teammates to survive first, hold locks much farther down on the list. A dead teammate is more useless to me than a solidly held lock that resulted in their death. Thus, I appreciate any locks people can hold, but I blame no one if they can't hold/get a lock. I'm also responsible for getting locks too, as much as I am tanking some damage for the team. As stated, two way street. Team play goes two ways here.

#228 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

View PostTesunie, on 20 May 2016 - 01:01 PM, said:

Depending upon situation...

If you "nascar" and not look out for your team's tail (aka: Don't support your teammates once the enemy is found), than yes.

If you "nascar" along a flank, and support your team by pulling enemy fire away from them and in the opposite direction...

It's a matter of what tactics we refer to and are using. But, if you mean the standard "Nascar" of "running along the map in a circle", than yeah. I don't know why people do that. They'll continue to run in the same direction, even if they know the enemy is starting to attack their team in the opposite direction...

nascaring is for me rushing circle wise without looking back and a designated target where to go/stop.Its like the many times called out PUSH order where noone knows where to come to halt, in best case at the start of the match with 2 enemys spottet Posted Image
*the bad taste nascaring has for me is because i sometimes dare to play in an assault mech (IS).
** : =( SEE YOU IN PARIS VERSAGER! (wierd oncel A. woud have loved this game,
Blitzkrieg Poland Rush 24/7)

Edited by shr84, 24 May 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#229 SCHLIMMER BESTIMMER XXX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 879 posts
  • LocationNiemalsland

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:52 PM

View PostMovinTarget, on 20 May 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

B-b-but i painted racing stripes on my mechs and everything!

paint them on your assault mech and get enlighted

View PostAlbino Boo, on 22 May 2016 - 03:10 AM, said:

oh! you must have fun playing this game in pug matches xD
And no, since its a free to play game everybody is invited to play this game, you didnt even have to invest money to try it.So be prepared to get annoyed dude, you cant blame people to accept the offer....

Edited by shr84, 24 May 2016 - 01:53 PM.

#230 Albino Boo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 281 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

View PostTesunie, on 22 May 2016 - 04:22 PM, said:

I constantly hear "Cheesy LRM noob!" when I play. Hearing friend or foe complain about my LRMs will not deter me from using them. I will still use them, especially when match score, damage, kills and kill assist scores for me are well above those who are complaining, and I'm limping (or dead) by the end of the match (because I'm not hiding in the back). (Then again, I'm very well known for pressing into the very front of the team, when no one else will move forwards because "this rock looks safe".)

11-23 other people shouldn't "dictate" to me what mech, build and weapons I should use. Yes, it's a team game. I'll work with you, but you also have to work with me. Street goes two ways.

Now, instead of complaining and trying to exclude members of your team, one could always try to provide assistance and advice to said plays. Someone is an LRM boat? Instead of "denying them locks because I don't want them to get my kill/assist/damage", you should try to maintain locks* (if you can without dieing). Wont tell you how many times I've mentioned that I have "some" LRMs, and I hear my own teammates rant and then refuse to get any locks. (I've even jokingly said "Don't make me get my own locks. You wont like me if I have to get my own locks. Posted Image". When I did that, people laughed, but many still didn't even bother to press R. I ended up being top match score for my team, fighting a hit and run battle against the enemy and being on the front lines. It was a rare gem of a match for me...)

You claim it's a team game. Than people should be treating it as such. However, that doesn't give anyone (besides maybe units and their members when teamed together, because you are normally getting geared up for a strategy, but even then) the right to dictate to anyone else how "they should play/enjoy the game". As long as they are following the rules of the game, than sorry, you can't tell them how to have their fun. (This excludes griefing, team killing, team damaging (intentionally), etc. These types of player "fun" are against the game rules, and should be reported/"dictated against". But then again, that isn't our context here.)

* Side note: I always tell teammates to survive first, hold locks much farther down on the list. A dead teammate is more useless to me than a solidly held lock that resulted in their death. Thus, I appreciate any locks people can hold, but I blame no one if they can't hold/get a lock. I'm also responsible for getting locks too, as much as I am tanking some damage for the team. As stated, two way street. Team play goes two ways here.

You seem to be under the impression that I'm am interested in justification for persisting with a less advantageous build. Despite been told multiple time by multiple people that lrms dont work you decide that you are right and everyone else is wrong and everyone else should alter their play style for you. Then you have the check to lecture other pople on team work
Guess what I will not now, nor will I ever stand still in the open to get a lrm boat locks so you can sand paper off the armor instead off opening one section. The rest of the team is not your meatshield. If you want locks stop hiding and get them yourself.

View Postshr84, on 24 May 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

And no, since its a free to play game everybody is invited to play this game, you didnt even have to invest money to try it.So be prepared to get annoyed dude, you cant blame people to accept the offer....

View Postshr84, on 24 May 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

I do have fun in solo drop because when you are in tier 2 you dont get idiots with lrm boats often. Lrms boats players disappear in the higher tiers. It almost like lrms are less efficient than direct fire weapons and you win more often and get more kills by doing the same amount to damage to one section of armor instead of 4.

In real life you join a team sport and then dont contribute to the team, you will get bitched at. Just because is something is online that not is somehow a license behave selfishly.

#231 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:13 AM

Maybe that is the solution, no solo dropping in fp?

You have to be in a group of at least 4, which means you have to be social and play in a manner that people would want to play with you more than once. I would hate for it to be elitist (too late?) at the same time, perhaps people would be more inclined to play as a team if it meant they wouldn't be asked back otherwise...

#232 Commander A9

• Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:31 AM

You know, if everyone brings missiles for a single drop wave, it can be deadly, especially if they focus fire.

One of Clan Wolf International's drop commanders used to have everyone bring a LRM-based mech for a single wave; it worked surprisingly well, especially against assault mechs in open terrain combined with NARC beacons.

It can work if you do it right.

#233 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:56 PM

View PostAlbino Boo, on 29 May 2016 - 05:22 AM, said:

You seem to be under the impression that I'm am interested in justification for persisting with a less advantageous build. Despite been told multiple time by multiple people that lrms dont work you decide that you are right and everyone else is wrong and everyone else should alter their play style for you. Then you have the check to lecture other pople on team work
Guess what I will not now, nor will I ever stand still in the open to get a lrm boat locks so you can sand paper off the armor instead off opening one section. The rest of the team is not your meatshield. If you want locks stop hiding and get them yourself.

I have a feeling you aren't reading what I've been writing.

Now, I could be wrong like I was with No One (possibly in another thread), but I'm starting to see no reason to try and continue a conversation with only one side actually listening. There is no reason to converse if it's becoming a monologue.

To address your points (and then some):
1. I don't have to justify my builds, play styles nor anything else to you. I'll let my own stats speak for themselves, if you wish for me to post them. I say this with the complete realization that I'm not by any means "the best player". But I'm far from "the worst" as well. (Probably average, to maybe above average.)

2. This is a GAME. I play to have FUN. I can have my fun any way I really wish, within the terms and conditions, guidelines and rules placed before me by the game and the game's controllers (PGI). What this means is, if I wish to play LRMs, than unless PGI removes LRMs from the game, than I can play LRMs. If I wished to play a mech with nothing but Flamers and MGs, I can. Nothing stops me. (However, I will also state that this is within reason as well. Even I wouldn't bring nothing but Flamers and MGs, especially to FP. Then again, I don't bring in only LRMs either.)

3. FP/FW/CW is classified (at least by my definition) as "end game content". Its suppose to be geared more towards team play and trying to win. With this in mind, some consideration should be taken into account when playing this mode as to what one brings in. However, there are still no hard set rules as to what one can and can not bring in. (Refer to point 2.) If I am in a premade team (such as my unit), I will heed their advise and adjust my builds accordingly, as I see fit, within reasonable limits, within the realm of "I still want to have fun". There is normally an easy middle ground. Some consideration still needs to be given to the individual as much as to the team. (Once again, street runs two ways. I need to be considerate to them, but so do they to me. We form a "team" that way.)

4. As I've said before, I always try to get my own locks, unless I have a really effective team and I find that I don't need to. As an LRM user (and I say this, with the given statement that I've also used every weapon in the game as well), even I have a list of things that should not be done as I find they are less effective uses of LRMs. One such thing is not getting your own lock. Your team should not have to hold your hand and do all the work for you and you should get your own locks when and where possible. However, this also goes in reverse. Your team should (if they know you have LRMs) try to get locks, when it is safe and possible to do so. (AKA: I don't want you to die to get and hold a lock, but at the same time if you are fighting a target, you shouldn't refuse to lock to hinder your LRM ally. I've seen players not get locks intentionally to hinder their "LRM noob allies". This is also wrong, and selfish. It's as bad as those LRM users who wants the team to get the locks for them. Street, two ways.)

5. Though I will NEVER dictate to anyone what build they should use (as variety is the spice of life, and us all being individuals we should express ourselves as individuals with different strengths and weaknesses/skills), I suggest people don't run LRM boats. They can be just as effective outside a boat, and boating LRMs amplifies their weaknesses. This is not to say that boated LRMs (or any weapon for that matter) doesn't have a place in the game. It just says that I consider the risk of boating LRMs to be too risky. My personal opinion of course.

6. LRMs are a UTILITY weapon. They can deal more than just damage in a match. No one likes to hear "Incoming Missiles". People will run and hide when they hear that warning, instead of standing near to cover shooting at an ally longer. They also can be great assist weapons when someone does not or can not get line of sight with a target, typically as one closes into range and/or visual for other weapons.

7. Just because I know it's going to be said, balance builds also have a place in the current meta as well as roles within a team. Balanced builds have the strength of never being useless. They have to be played to their strengths, which isn't playing to a specific strength but rather playing to an opponent's weakness. Balanced builds require more skill to use effectively over many specialty/focused builds, because one has to identify the opponent's strength/weakness, and play accordingly. It's not everyone's thing. I speak of balanced builds here, because LRMs feel very much at home on balanced builds (in my opinion). Balance builds also can be good for lower skilled players, as they are never going to be "helpless". It's a mixed bag.

8. I have seen many times, in FP and in QP (Group and solo), LRMs be used very effectively. When I was playing my Stock Dragon 1N (yes, I know. I'm crazy. Pure stock in public? I do it sometimes) with a fellow unit mate (we wanted to have some fun) in the group queue, we came across a team of LRM players (most not even boats) with a couple NARC people. Our team had such unity that we quickly dispatched the enemy forces mostly via LRM fire and some select direct weapons fire. (Dragon 1N was a mix platform, having an LRM10 and some direct fire weapons as well.)

9. Often, it's not what you bring into a match, it's how you play with it. We can each come up with a thousand tales of any weapon used poorly, and a thousand tales of those same weapons used to spectacular effect. LRMs have the poor reputation they have due to nerfs on them (Tracking, locking mechanics, missile speeds, ECM, Etc), as well many players using them in a (and I hate to say this) "Skill-less manner". So often they wish to focus on the indirect aspect of the weapon, often to the detriment of the team and the skills truly needed to make LRMs effective for their team and their performance.

I agree that there are many ways to play LRMs poorly.

I agree that LRMs are not the best weapon in the game.

However, I disagree that LRMs are the worst weapon in the game. I also disagree that they are useless, forbidden from FP, powerless or otherwise in any way implied as being subpar weapons to everything else. They have their uses. Their many different uses and tactics are what is their strength, but also tends to be their weakness, especially when being evaluated. Even you, when evaluating the weapon, have reverted to only a single aspect of the weapon (Damage) and a single play style of the weapon (Hide behind the team, lock and fire only indirectly, [as an LRM boat]). These are but only two pieces of what LRMs can do, and is only the bare surface of what LRMs are truly capable of preforming.

Want to know how I truly see LRMs and their use? Click on the link in my signature.

Edit: Just added a space, which somehow didn't get placed in... Posted Image

Edited by Tesunie, 29 May 2016 - 08:39 PM.

#234 _Comrade_

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

lurm people are funny, they think they are good but they aren't. They do nothing to help a push and they soak but no damage cause they are way behind where all the fighting is while the rest of the team dies, they think they are unique and an individual and do not know the word "team". They are easy kills cause once you get close enough their is nothing for them to do. So I say yes keep playing Lrm's so I can get the easy kill

#235 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 11 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

View PostGrimwill, on 11 June 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

lurm people are funny, they think they are good but they aren't. They do nothing to help a push and they soak but no damage cause they are way behind where all the fighting is while the rest of the team dies, they think they are unique and an individual and do not know the word "team". They are easy kills cause once you get close enough their is nothing for them to do. So I say yes keep playing Lrm's so I can get the easy kill

Non-LRM people are so funny. Thinking that all people play the same way. Thinking that all LRM users boat their LRMs. Thinking that all LRM users hide in the back and depend upon the team to provide locks. Some people even think that all LRM users don't press the front and don't take hits.

You're so silly.

(AKA: Not all of us sit out back. That's probably the worst way to play LRMs.)

#236 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 11 June 2016 - 11:24 PM

View PostGrimwill, on 11 June 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

Just so you know, walking in front and taking the fire is actually helping the push. I know I know, getting shot alot is scary, but follow my missile mechs, an I'll get you through the worst of it. Then, while your sitting back trying to snipe with your lasers as the enemy flanks, I can turn and help give you covering fire, dependent on intervening terrain. (Pro tip, don't fall too far behind your Lrm screen, and keep the intervening terrain low enough for me to clear.) Finally when the brawl begins in earnest, don't forget to cover your team, cuz guess what? That LRM mech you impuned is probably going to be covering you whilest tanking another mech.

Oh hey, look I can make fun of Laser/Ballistics, just like Lrms! It's almost like you could swap good and poor tactics with any weapon group. Wait... no... I cannot in fact replace direct fire weaponry for indirect help, since indirect fire has actually more team based utility. Weird that.

The really funny part? Even after the initial push, despite being able to sit back and conserve what little mech I have left, I still often hafta lead the charge, just because so few folk out there are willing to risk their mech for their team. Kinda why I ended up joining a unit waay back when.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 11 June 2016 - 11:29 PM.

#237 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 12:27 AM

So take the LRMs to competitive play and wreck face. Still waiting to see it. Go consistently beat down good teams with them.

We will all happily come to LURM school.

The problem is that it's never happened. When confronted with a good team with direct fire weapons universally the direct fire team wins. If LRMs were good we would all use them. They are not, so we don't except a few diehards and terribads. A few people invest the time and energy in learning to make LRMs work decently but those people could all eat at the same table at a Dennys and whoever you are reading this, it almost certainly isn't you.

That bad teams can be beaten with anything isn't an indication that LRMs are good.

#238 Pat Kell

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,187 posts
  • LocationSol, NA, Iowa

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:52 AM

Leone, we need to have a talk.

#239 Pariah Devalis

• The Clan Cat
  • The Clan Cat
  • 7,655 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationAboard the NCS True Path

Posted 12 June 2016 - 08:54 AM

Hey, now. LRM mechs are useful... as bait! Posted Image

Spoiler

Seriously, though. While a case might, might be made for LRMs in very specific map/mode combinations of 12v12, there is absolutely ZERO room for LRM boats in Scouting Mode. Everyone needs to be bringing their A-Game, and LRMs are not even close to optimal when there is no front line, which is usually the case in CW 4v4.

If you bring LRMs to 4v4, you are bad and should feel bad. No, I do not care if you are offended by that notion. You being offended by reality constitutes no reason on my behalf to lie, nor does it add validity to your cause. Bad is bad.

Edited by Pariah Devalis, 12 June 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#240 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 12 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

Our unit has had good success with using almost every weapon available, LRMs included. They're definitely best when you have a guy specifically running a light to narc with and everybody remembers to bring UAVs, but a smart LRM player should still be able to shine in a skittles group.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users