Save The Cataphract!

82 replies to this topic

#61 Mercworks

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 151 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:37 AM

Even in the Table Top, the Cataphract was an inferior mech to the Warhammer and Marauder. Why try to keep something that was a Frankenmech to begin with? Let the old boys die.

#62 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,890 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:28 AM

View PostMercworks, on 01 June 2016 - 03:37 AM, said:

Even in the Table Top, the Cataphract was an inferior mech to the Warhammer and Marauder. Why try to keep something that was a Frankenmech to begin with? Let the old boys die.

Cuz I got 6 of em and I like em! I just want them to be better. :)

#63 MasterBLB

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationWarsaw,Poland

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:19 AM

I wouldn't mind Phracts being better either ^^ Sadly,I'm not sure how it could be done.
Phracts' arms seems already been shortened compared to what was at introduction time;if PGI would shorten them even more I afraid the mech will lose it's unique flavor :/
0XP however could use ballistic slot in torso to be moved up,in the place where other Phracs have energy one.

#64 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostMasterBLB, on 01 June 2016 - 08:19 AM, said:

I wouldn't mind Phracts being better either ^^ Sadly,I'm not sure how it could be done.
Phracts' arms seems already been shortened compared to what was at introduction time;if PGI would shorten them even more I afraid the mech will lose it's unique flavor :/
0XP however could use ballistic slot in torso to be moved up,in the place where other Phracs have energy one.

I'm not looking for anything dramatic. What I proposed somewhere above was in keeping with the 0xp idea of raising (at least) one ballistic mount up to shoulder height, and then simply putting the stupid under arm mounts on the sides or even on top of the arms. If they did that as part of the "rescale", I really do think that would go a long way to helping the mech compete.

#65 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:31 PM

only way that I can think of to solve that low arms mounted weapons discussion that many players seem to take at heart, is to add a function to extend the arms just like opening missile doors for Mechs with shoulder, upper arm and lower arm actuators, I also would put that once hit no matter location the arms go back to initial position.

I think it would do the trick for many Mechs.

Edited by TheLuc, 01 June 2016 - 10:32 PM.

#66 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 01 June 2016 - 10:54 PM

Nipple PPCs - the only way to use the 3D Posted Image

Maybe this is again the perfect moment to call "HARDPOINT SIZES; HARDPOINT SIZES; HARDPOINT SIZES"

Comparing the AC20 and 2 PPC on the 6R(high mount, good PPC quirks) vs the CTF-1X with the same armament.
At least the CTF could be build as one sided version - but thats the only advantage.

#67 hordes1ayer2

• PipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:20 AM

I love my cataphracts 1X, 2X, and 4X

#68 Raso

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sickle
  • The Sickle
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted 20 June 2016 - 09:34 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 01 June 2016 - 10:54 PM, said:

Nipple PPCs - the only way to use the 3D Posted Image

Maybe this is again the perfect moment to call "HARDPOINT SIZES; HARDPOINT SIZES; HARDPOINT SIZES"

Comparing the AC20 and 2 PPC on the 6R(high mount, good PPC quirks) vs the CTF-1X with the same armament.
At least the CTF could be build as one sided version - but thats the only advantage.

I love, love LOVE those high mounted shoulder lasers on the side torso. I only wish that there was a variant that had 2 energy mounts per ST.

#69 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 21 June 2016 - 12:54 AM

View Posthordes1ayer2, on 20 June 2016 - 09:20 AM, said:

I love my cataphracts 1X, 2X, and 4X

theres nothing wrong with the phracts, but within all this steroid quirks its also nothing great with the phract anymore. it was a good benchmark mech around which the balance should have happened. But instead the high end mechs got the "benchmark" and so steroids were thrown around :/

Edited by Lily from animove, 21 June 2016 - 03:08 AM.

#70 Ade the Rare

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 186 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 21 June 2016 - 01:39 AM

First mech I had was a Cataphract.

It's also the only mech I've ever sold. Got a Black Widow now (named Cheeseburger). Phract's so bad it's not even funny.

On the plus side it's only eight years 'til the Thanatos Posted Image

#71 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:43 AM

'Phract should do well in todays patch. It got slimmer and doesn't appear to have any quirk changes unless I missed something. Might actually become relevant again with the Warhammer and marauder getting nerfed so hard.

Edited by Precentor Martial Jarcaddy, 21 June 2016 - 04:47 AM.

#72 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,890 posts

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:46 AM

View PostPrecentor Martial Jarcaddy, on 21 June 2016 - 04:43 AM, said:

'Phract should do well in todays patch. It got slimmerand doesn't appear to have any quirk changes unless I missed something. Might actually become relevant again with the Warhammer and marauder getting nerfed so hard.

Yep. Still likely to keep shooting a lot of terrain, but I am hoping for a Cataphract Renaissance (if you will) with this patch. I expect to see more Phracts, Quickdraws, T-bolts and Stalkers in QP but for sure in CW.

#73 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 21 June 2016 - 04:49 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 21 June 2016 - 04:46 AM, said:

Yep. Still likely to keep shooting a lot of terrain, but I am hoping for a Cataphract Renaissance (if you will) with this patch. I expect to see more Phracts, Quickdraws, T-bolts and Stalkers in QP but for sure in CW.

Yea, with the structure quirks it should actually be quite a bit tougher. The low slung arms stink but it makes up for it with those high shoulder mounts. I def think the field is going to be flooded with Phracts, Catapults, Quickdraws, TBolts, Beemers, and Stalkers as well. Any mech that got smaller is going to see a lot of play time until the new meta settles in.

#74 Ghostrider0067

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 397 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationChandler, AZ, USA

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:31 PM

I run a pair of ER LLs in the torso of my 1X and they work great. It would be nice if I didn't have to expose so much of the mech in order to lay some burn on an enemy, but that's just the risk you have to accept.

No matter of it is outmoded or outclassed, I still hold more than my own with it and have little trouble putting people down. I've gotten a lot of respect for it, too.

#75 April Showers

• PipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 72 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

Show me that ECM marauder or warhammer and i Show you a crying phract Pilot. the phract still has a reason to Level. if you completely ignore the high hardpoints issue (phract has them, what about the others ?)

#76 Warspawn

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 86 posts
  • LocationBack Home Again...In Indiana...

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostBud Crue, on 15 May 2016 - 03:15 AM, said:

Anecdotally, the most common BW builds I see are 4 UAC5....

I wish those would fit... I guess you could dump armor and the XL...carry 2 tons of ammo going 50kph or so. If someone has this build working I'd really enjoy seeing it. Actually jumped over to try to build it; not looking good Posted Image

-->edit: I did, however manage to fit in 4 regular AC5s with adequate ammo. Maybe that's what the op meant. /shrug. I do still enjoy taking out my 'Killya' hero 'phract from time to time for some fun dakka and cbills Posted Image

Edited by Warspawn, 05 August 2016 - 04:27 PM.

#77 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:07 AM

Ilya, 0X and 1X are still pretty serviceable. I'm not a real fan of the 3D. The 4X is okay.

I won't complain if:

1) They raise the ballistic up on the shoulder.
2) Put the laser hardpoints on the left up to the top instead of underslung.

#78 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 06 August 2016 - 06:44 AM

A thing that pretty much would restore all Mechs with armhardpoints to glory would simply be
ARM ELEVATION
Could be a feature like opening or closing weapon baydoors.
Press a key and mech raises the Arm. With raised arms you are 25% slower than with arms in walking position.
Made a suggestion post in feature suggestions but nobody cared and since nobody cares or shares nothing will ever be done about this realy easy to implement feature able to ungimp an effin lot of the mechs.

#79 Corviness

• PipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • 53 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:29 AM

Hello, mechwarriors!

Yes... the Cataphract, one of my beloved IS Mechs, I pilot, especially the CTF-1X.
The Cataphract is a special thing. Some ppl said, it is crap, some ppl love it. Today, the Cataphract is a little bit "outdated". The hardpoints are not as good like the Warhammer or the Grasshopper. Hitboxes are a little bit critical, you have definitely to work with your torso-twist or you will get destroyed soon.
Also the quirks are a outdated. I mean, you've got 5 energy hardpoints on 1X and only 1 ballistic hardpoint. So why dont they give the 1X version some energyrange. maybe 10 - 15%? Would be definitely good. Most "new" mechs, like grasshopper, marauder or warhammer got 10+% on energy range, energy heatmanagment and energy cooldown together.
If you are a good pilot, you will do good damage with that thing (around 400). But its suboptimal compared to the other 70t mechs.
The Cataphract needs better/other quirks and maybe a variant with more lasers in the shoulder. If you take a look on his shoulders, their is space for 2 energy hardpoints but their is only one. Why?. Maybe it was balanced in 2012-2013, but today the cataphract needs some better hardpoints.
Otherwise the Cataphract worked quite well. I love this mech.

#80 lagartx3

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 143 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationColombia

Posted 19 October 2016 - 09:52 PM

SAVE THE LOYALTY CATAPHRACT AND ITS HEAD MISILE HARDPOINT!!!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users