198 replies to this topic

#181 Toxicresidue

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 80 posts
  • Locationcorpus christi texas

Posted 17 August 2016 - 02:55 AM

event for laggen hack and alt accounts? yep its a blast for the top ten, eastern European fake accounts search the pilot names,
look for yourselves.

#182 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:00 AM

I demand PGI to check results of a guy with a nickname TooOldForThis. Not sure whether this is a fake account or a group of people abusing the system (I recall SWOL being so smart to do similar thing in the past.) I admit, it is possible to get to top 5 in 4 leaderboards in 1 day (actually -several hours, since I`ve been watching this guy progress) but you have to be IMPOSSIBLY lucky

Edited by GweNTLeR, 17 August 2016 - 07:04 AM.

#183 Mega0

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:34 AM

Yes, yes, Im also in the same leaderborad, was surprised when a couple of hours ago all of the sudden he got in the second place from nowhere, and this is after 4 days of same people fighting for 1-5 places.

Edited by Mega0, 17 August 2016 - 07:44 AM.

#184 MovinTarget

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 August 2016 - 07:43 AM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 17 August 2016 - 02:54 AM, said:

Happy to see the event ending in 4-ish hours. Never before has such DERPness been seen on the Battlefield.

Please, PGI, remove or lower the importance of pure damage dealt as a contributor to the score.

Two possible fixes I would love to see evaluated:
1) Only Damage done to the component that finally kills a mech contributes to the score (i.e. only damage done to last leg, when mech dies due to losing both legs. Or Damage to the head or rear left ST). In an ideal world, this would also include the "Kill Most Damage Dealt" contribution, when only Damage against the "finishing component" is counted. That should stop mindless farming and endless showers of LURMs.

2) For an assists, establish a minimum amount of damage that needs to be dealt in order to be counted as an assist, like for example 5 or 10 points. Even better: couple this to the "finishing component" as of above and put a timer to it - like 30 seconds, in which the mech has to die in order to be counted as an assist.

I honestly have tried this: Single shot of 1×cERLL netted me 7 (!) assists thanks to it's long burn time in one match. That's ridiculous.

Just give LRMS their own diminishing returns mechanic.

#185 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:22 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 17 August 2016 - 07:43 AM, said:

They already do happen to have a 'diminishing returns mechanic'. Have you seen what happens when anything larger than a 'LRM 5' lands on a target? Sometimes part of the missiles are wasted, and it's something I've had to accept when I bring out my 'LRM Support' Mechs, even while I'm racking up several hundred damage done in order to ensure their survival. I just hope my teammates in those rounds are happy racking up all those nice payments of 'Spotting Assist' bonuses, as I'm helping to rid them of the opposing team. I don't hide and/or sit back all round long, and do end up taking some damage myself, usually to the ultimate detriment of the team when they find I've taken too much damage, and therefore can't support them as well as I was doing earlier on in the battle. Of course, I guess that happens without regard to what you bring, be it direct-fire or indirect-fire weapons. And I can sadly tell you, it takes some skill to get in the right place to lay down assisting cover fire on the opposing team, as I got reminded of with the number of times in which I had to reposition to land shots properly. :(

Now, I believe it has come time for my Final Review, 2016 August "Epic Assault Event" ---

Having played through during a lot of this Event, I got a royally serious wake-up call. Thankfully, I didn't see any issues in regard to the Personal Challenge, except for what Dee Eight particularly caught notice of...

View PostDee Eight, on 16 August 2016 - 08:22 PM, said:

I had a game an hour ago with someone asking why his account keeps getting injections. Like many players... he doesn't use the website or pay attention to the in-game newsfeed.

...but that's really a non-issue, because people should be happy they could actually get anything without having to abuse themselves on the heavier part of this Event. Heck, I'm one of the people who provided feedback to get the Personal Challenges at least reasonably tuned up to where they are now. Sure, maybe we could use an alert at the bottom in red letters to notify of an active Event, but I don't personally consider that something worth being pushy about, what with all the bugs that still need fixing. So, while I was able to get the Personal Challenge done in a reasonable manner, and achieved gathering some things I'm needing for the future, attempting to fight in the LeaderBoard by using my only Assault-Class Mech made me realize that those will probably never be my thing. Trying to be the guy who pushes instead of the assisting Support got me mowed down so badly and quickly due to teammates just leaving me out to die, that I transferred what I had there to other Mechs in my collection. Strangely, I was able to do potentially better than usual in a couple of my other Mechs after doing so, giving me the indication that I just don't do well where I don't have enough speed to remain properly mobile in order to dodge weapons fire. Now I'm debating whether I sell off a Mech for the first time since I began playing, or if I just let it sit there and rot in my inventory, almost needlessly reminding me how bad I am with anything above about 65 tons at the moment. So, yeah, PGI did reasonably well in setting up the Event, in my opinion. As for me, I'll see you at the next Event, and I definitely have some things to work on. :huh:

~D. V. "I've so much to still develop upon..." Devnull

[Edit by author for bad formatting...]

Edited by D V Devnull, 17 August 2016 - 08:23 AM.

#186 MarsThunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:03 AM

Definetely the worst event for the last year. These countless hordes of noobs in assaults...

#187 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:05 AM

View PostD V Devnull, on 17 August 2016 - 08:22 AM, said:

They already do happen to have a 'diminishing returns mechanic'. Have you seen what happens when anything larger than a 'LRM 5' lands on a target? Sometimes part of the missiles are wasted, and it's something I've had to accept when I bring out my 'LRM Support' Mechs, even while I'm racking up several hundred damage done in order to ensure their survival. I just hope my teammates in those rounds are happy racking up all those nice payments of 'Spotting Assist' bonuses, as I'm helping to rid them of the opposing team. I don't hide and/or sit back all round long, and do end up taking some damage myself, usually to the ultimate detriment of the team when they find I've taken too much damage, and therefore can't support them as well as I was doing earlier on in the battle. Of course, I guess that happens without regard to what you bring, be it direct-fire or indirect-fire weapons. And I can sadly tell you, it takes some skill to get in the right place to lay down assisting cover fire on the opposing team, as I got reminded of with the number of times in which I had to reposition to land shots properly. Posted Image

Well, that not "diminishing" enough to stop people from thinking; "Hey it would be a great idea to drive a 45kph LRM80 boat with no back up weapons... Nobody else will do it...."

#188 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:13 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 17 August 2016 - 07:43 AM, said:

I specifically focused my arguments on damage farming in general and mentioned LRMs only once and as a side-note. Damage as an achievement in itself is grossly overrated, yet it is farmed like there's no tomorrow because PIG does reward it disproportionately high.

Instead, there should be a reward for killing 'Mechs with the least damage possible as - in tune with lore - that leaves more of the mech for salvaging. Headshots preferred, rear STs on XL-'Mechs, rear CT on STD-'Mechs and so on. Farming should be discouraged.

#189 Tier5 Kerensky

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:34 AM

Nice event, got into playing assults, now I'll continue to see how they perform under normal conditions with much less assults. I look forward for the heavy event.

Edited by Teer5, 17 August 2016 - 09:34 AM.

#190 Omaha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 559 posts
  • LocationAnywhere

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:38 AM

View PostCathy, on 15 August 2016 - 11:29 AM, said:

So your the reason for all the music

LOL! Thankya! Thankya Very Much!

#191 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:47 AM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 17 August 2016 - 09:13 AM, said:

I specifically focused my arguments on damage farming in general and mentioned LRMs only once and as a side-note. Damage as an achievement in itself is grossly overrated, yet it is farmed like there's no tomorrow because PIG does reward it disproportionately high.

Instead, there should be a reward for killing 'Mechs with the least damage possible as - in tune with lore - that leaves more of the mech for salvaging. Headshots preferred, rear STs on XL-'Mechs, rear CT on STD-'Mechs and so on. Farming should be discouraged.

I am with you, however, what you described can be construed as try-hard pro-unit rhetoric where people need to "get gud" because that is exactly what comp players are taught to do.

Implement this and the salt will be so real, PGI will put Morton's out of business.

Edited by MovinTarget, 17 August 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#192 D V Devnull

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,247 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 17 August 2016 - 10:12 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 17 August 2016 - 09:05 AM, said:

Well, that not "diminishing" enough to stop people from thinking; "Hey it would be a great idea to drive a 45kph LRM80 boat with no back up weapons... Nobody else will do it...."

Heh... I enjoy punishing people who make mistakes like that, provided they're on the enemy team. Sometimes, the only way they learn is to get flattened hard. Makes their Mech Loadout into diminishing returns all too quick when I show up with my backup weapons in the face of their LRM-only Mech. Like, my Catapult 'CPLT-C4' versus their 'LRM 80' Stalker? I win, they lose, because they didn't have backup weapons. :lol:

~D. V. "Wish you could be there to see it..." Devnull

#193 PFC Carsten

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationOn your six

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:47 AM

View PostMovinTarget, on 17 August 2016 - 09:47 AM, said:

I am with you, however, what you described can be construed as try-hard pro-unit rhetoric where people need to "get gud" because that is exactly what comp players are taught to do.

I think you lost me somehow. What do you mean exactly?

#194 MovinTarget

• Field Marshal
  • Field Marshal
  • 3,831 posts
  • LocationGreen Acres

Posted 17 August 2016 - 04:37 PM

View PostPFC Carsten, on 17 August 2016 - 11:47 AM, said:

I think you lost me somehow. What do you mean exactly?

I was bouncing around threads and got a little out of context probably, this is the post I was thinking of, but it may not be really relevant to this thread, just felt I owed you an explanation...

If I whiffed, my bad...

View PostPFC Carsten, on 17 August 2016 - 09:33 AM, said:

It drives fresh blood away faster than the clubbers can come in here, telling their usual "getgud or get rekt", "l2p" or "join a unit". PIGs problem is, that with FaP aka CW being built for unit-based play, they tend to listen to the unit guys more.

#195 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 17 August 2016 - 05:06 PM

Interesting comments on the Epic Assault event.

I personally enjoyed this event. I booked time off work and documented my progress at www.F8L.co - I had a great dice with Master Bear at the top. Kudos to you champ, o7. I thought it was over last night but those damn time zones. lol :)

Any ho, as a very casual player in Tier 3, It took me a total of 52 games over 2 days. ( I booked time off from work) 10 game scores were terrible as I have never seen Alpine Peaks in map rotation so often. (Bend over and lube up if you are in a short range brawler Atlas.) 6 disconnects and reconnects with no score count. (Stormy weather here in Perth) and the rest were thankfully close range maps or maps with decent cover points. (That's where I achieved the best results.)

I played solo queue only, no group queue. All times and all servers. I am no "closet champion". I'm the first one to come out of the closet. ;) (Mmmmmmmmm.......yes)

I agree with the some of the comments that the players at the top may have been a bit nefarious in how they got to the top so quickly in the dying hours of the event.

Group queue, well as previous comments mentioned, and from what I have seen in the past, It can be manipulated.

Any ho, I proved myself. I know how good I am. I'm fairly certain that the top Atlas player will be investigated, but I will be surprised if anything comes from it.

Good game and o7 to those that played clean and fair and put the time and effort to do so.

Mech-cellent!

#196 Aramuside

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 998 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 11:50 PM

I did learn very quickly that leveling up my seven PXH's and a new adder through their basics when facing a slow moving deathball of assaults could get painful. Posted Image

Hey and next week its the Cyclops so this continues. Posted Image

#197 Jurosik

• PipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 57 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 02:17 AM

View PostDar1ng One, on 17 August 2016 - 05:06 PM, said:

Any ho, I proved myself. I know how good I am. I'm fairly certain that the top Atlas player will be investigated, but I will be surprised if anything comes from it.

Good game and o7 to those that played clean and fair and put the time and effort to do so.

Top Atlas player Collonel Oneil is real tier1 player. He is one of the few players capable of winning CW matches without 8-12 premade groups. (dont think you realise how rare this is)

Anyway you can check for yourself how he "cheats" on twitch https://www.twitch.tv/colonel_oneill

He is not indestructible either i killed his atlas yesteday just before event ended thanks to that kill and others during that round i was able to secure rank 50 nowhere near your 3rd place but im not a good player.

#198 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:15 AM

I've had Oneill in my lance in the past few days. One of many T1s that ended up with T4/5s. I also killed him in one game. And I didn't do it in a kodiak (hell I ran a single kodiak game during the leaderboard event, a single warhawk game and a only three or four highlander games), but in one of the new HGN-IICs I was still unlocking basic skills in.

Edited by Dee Eight, 18 August 2016 - 04:18 AM.

#199 Dar1ng One

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 227 posts
  • LocationArena Contender Royal

Posted 18 August 2016 - 04:41 AM

View PostJurosik, on 18 August 2016 - 02:17 AM, said:

Anyway you can check for yourself how he "cheats" on twitch https://www.twitch.tv/colonel_oneill

Thanks for the link. I will check out how he "cheats".

View PostDee Eight, on 18 August 2016 - 04:15 AM, said:

One of many T1s that ended up with T4/5s.

I thought that T1's could only mix with T2's and T3's. There you go. Did not know that.

View PostJurosik, on 18 August 2016 - 02:17 AM, said:

He is not indestructible either

I know, I have put him down several times, but I never saw him once during the tournament in Solo Queue. I saw Sky and Bear a few times.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users