• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 29 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

So, what is missing from MWO is the thing that has been asked about for some time. That's real community warfare. Faction play is ok and has its place, but it is not community warfare (at least, not to me).

To me community warfare is formed units taking on other formed units in battles. Maybe a single winner take all battle or a serious of them. Formed units should be able to hire mercenaries (none-affiliated players) to help in the battles.

Sure this can be done through private matches, but there is no mechanism for having any sort of reward for doing so. And no mechanism for hiring (and thus paying) for any hired mercenaries.

The contract/battle system in Faction Play is just too vanilla and generic.

A proposed faction play model might look like one of the following:

1) Have PGI randomly put out special contracts with a set number of battles and rewards (C-Bills, gear, mechs, whatever). Any qualifying unit can accept the contract, hire mercenaries or other units (for a fixed amount or percentage or whatever) and then challenge a unit that fits the terms of the contract. The targeted unit/house can accept the challenge. If they do and win, they get the rewards. If they lose or refuse the challenge, they get nothing.

2) Allow a unit to put out contracts against a different unit or house. It would be essentially be the same as the above, but would be player generated instead of PGI generated.

3) Simple, simple - let a unit directly challenge another unit. Again, they could set the terms and have a pool of C-Bills and/or gear that is the reward. They can set up number of battles, battle modes, number of players, whatever. Can be winner take all or reward based on percentage or victories.

4) Alliance vs. Alliance - units from the same or different factions could challenge units from a different faction (factions). This would basically work like #3 except it would be more expansive.

Again, just throwing out ideas. Faction play is just a little two-dimensional and thin for me. I enjoy the battles, but they are just too cookie-cutter. Would really like to see something that drives a little more direct player-v-player and unit-v-unit action.

#2 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 29 August 2016 - 09:05 AM

Some of what you are talking about has been dealt with in what might be considered meta but is handled in-game. What I am thinking of here is your request for unit challenges. Units tend to coordinate their attacks - that's a big part of why people form them. Likewise, units will coordinate defense. When one unit sees that another unit is attacking a planet, they will tend to defend that planet.

The rest of what you are asking for is going to take time if they did implement it. Community Warfare is a work in progress.

#3 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 30 August 2016 - 01:27 AM

I believe it needs to be all encompassing.
Can't restrict it to units, but they play a significant part because of the numbers they can bring to the battle. Being in a unit simply equates to having a better chance of getting a more regular and decent sized group together.
There has to be a place for freelancers (solos) and smaller groups to get involved and contribute. There are all ready far too many restrictions on Faction Play that to limit it further would be detrimental.

I do agree with units putting out contracts, but more from the point of view of loyalists contracting mercenary units directly. The same for alliances. Increasing the possible unit : unit interactions would add some depth in an area we currently only have a very high level of. Not so sure about the 'rivalry' between units, I think this would develop naturally. The call to arms features could assist in these interactions.

The more PGI can step back from trying to manage Faction Play and let player input and actions determine the fate of the inner sphere the better.

#4 Supersmacky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 239 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 30 August 2016 - 06:59 AM

View Post50 50, on 30 August 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

The more PGI can step back from trying to manage Faction Play and let player input and actions determine the fate of the inner sphere the better.

You said in one sentence what I failed to in several paragraphs. This is exactly what I was trying to get at. Thank you.

#5 SilentFenris

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 163 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:06 AM

View PostSupersmacky, on 29 August 2016 - 08:23 AM, said:

To me community warfare is formed units taking on other formed units in battles. Maybe a single winner take all battle or a serious of them. Formed units should be able to hire mercenaries (none-affiliated players) to help in the battles.

Sure this can be done through private matches, but there is no mechanism for having any sort of reward for doing so. And no mechanism for hiring (and thus paying) for any hired mercenaries.

3) Simple, simple - let a unit directly challenge another unit. Again, they could set the terms and have a pool of C-Bills and/or gear that is the reward. They can set up number of battles, battle modes, number of players, whatever. Can be winner take all or reward based on percentage or victories.

Absolutely love this idea. An in-game challenge system or mini-tournament would be great. Having each team throw some C-bills or even MC into the pot gives some incentive.

Hopefully match parameters could be set in advance like a private lobby for map, gamemode with a few additions such as gamemode, number of players or tonnage per side. Also whether it is a single match on a specific night or any number of battles over a month long timeline.

View Post50 50, on 30 August 2016 - 01:27 AM, said:

I disagree, PGI has always identified itself as ComStar. LIke ComStar, PGI SHOULD interfere with the Factions. The ComStar intercepts were a step in that direction then they stopped altogether and we have an abandon section of the forums now. - http://mwomercs.com/...tar-intercepts/

I'm not saying the intercepts were perfect, but I would have liked to see the practice continued and refined by PGI.

Edited by GrayFenris, 30 August 2016 - 09:12 AM.

#6 Lightfoot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 6,610 posts
  • LocationOlympus Mons

Posted 01 September 2016 - 08:54 AM

My opinion is that Defend/Attack the Orbital Cannon is not going to work because you really play the map as much as the teams and the 12 man teams know how to beat the map and the rest don't. You want a map neutral game mode where both teams are battling for a shared objective. Where the battle is just mech vs mech, team vs team.

For instance you might have a game mode of capture the Space Port or Mech Factory. Have destructible neutral Turret emplacements between the Dropship and the Space Port that lights could go capture. Something to deter spawn camping. Make the objective range neutral like HPG Manifold. Just an example.

Secondly, if you want Community Warfare you have to include all players and all units. You have to offer them a faction loyalty or merc reward they need. Things that earn more CBills, improve mechs, plus some rare items that might be a little better than normal. Not weapons, but maybe modules or an added quirk? The normal MMO RP grind. That gets players to show up. Lone Wolves need to be included.

Player Units need to be ranked.

Owning a planet means something more than just a name-holder. Maybe grants logistic benefits.

Faction Play is harder, more time, but at the moment offers nothing over PUGs. Make it worth more than PUGs. It's like any MMO quest. Create an interesting reward and you will get plenty of players.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users