Where Did The Idea Of Hero Mech Come From?

58 replies to this topic

#21 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:43 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 30 September 2016 - 04:57 AM, said:

wasn't around for the first hero.

Neither was I, but the reason, or at least one reason why it blew up the forums was because PGI deleted another variant (the CN9-AH, which was finally returned with the first wave of loyalty 'Mechs) to encourage sales. The YLW was the only Centurion able to carry an AC20, and therefore "worth" buying, because they had taken away the other AC20 variant of that chassis.

#22 BLOOD WOLF

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:47 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 30 September 2016 - 05:43 AM, said:

Neither was I, but the reason, or at least one reason why it blew up the forums was because PGI deleted another variant (the CN9-AH, which was finally returned with the first wave of loyalty 'Mechs) to encourage sales. The YLW was the only Centurion able to carry an AC20, and therefore "worth" buying, because they had taken away the other AC20 variant of that chassis.

makes sense now. yea, I can't think of any other reason why they would get rid of it other than to promote the mech. That said, that insn't anything against a hero or the idea of a hero. That's a bad sales pitch and they were with IGP at that time I think

#23 Lostdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:51 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 30 September 2016 - 05:32 AM, said:

It's not like we don't hear this 1000 times a day. They have a command chair, and monthly patches. Your just gonna have to wait. repeating the same thing over and over doesn't change anything. It's not gonna be here tommarrow.

Don't come at me with that nonsense, we have been waiting four years. Four years on and we still have place holder skill trees, QP matches are all variations on TDM, FP is a poorly designed lane based MOBA, but man, we have a ton of mechs!

The roadmaps and patches leave much to be desired. There have been a lot of improvements made, I will give PGI credit for that. A better UI and bug fixes make the game less bad, PGI needs to focus on doing things that make the game better and that all comes down to releasing new content that is not mechs. We need maps. We need new game modes. We need an actual end game with meaningful goals and objectives.

PGI can only kick the can down the road for so long. When I look back at my friends most people I used to play with never login. It makes me sad to think about how many people who were passionate posters in this forum have given up on the game. If the situation doesn't get better then no one is going to be left who is willing to spend money on the next mech pack or wait around for the next roadmap and hope it contains something meaningful.

#24 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:52 AM

View PostLostdragon, on 30 September 2016 - 05:51 AM, said:

Don't come at me with that nonsense, we have been waiting four years. Four years on and we still have place holder skill trees, QP matches are all variations on TDM, FP is a poorly designed lane based MOBA, but man, we have a ton of mechs!

The roadmaps and patches leave much to be desired. There have been a lot of improvements made, I will give PGI credit for that. A better UI and bug fixes make the game less bad, PGI needs to focus on doing things that make the game better and that all comes down to releasing new content that is not mechs. We need maps. We need new game modes. We need an actual end game with meaningful goals and objectives.

PGI can only kick the can down the road for so long. When I look back at my friends most people I used to play with never login. It makes me sad to think about how many people who were passionate posters in this forum have given up on the game. If the situation doesn't get better then no one is going to be left who is willing to spend money on the next mech pack or wait around for the next roadmap and hope it contains something meaningful.

good. Now repeat it a few more times to hit it home

#25 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:56 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 September 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

From PGI's desire to earn money. Where else?

The moment they made non-canon Hero mechs such as Fang, and Flame, I knew.

Not to mention removing the AH to insert the Wang, as stated above

Removing the Cbill option and put the only XL AC20 Med as a paywalled item
Not true anymore, but that was a nasty decision of the PGIGP era

#26 Lostdragon

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,711 posts
  • LocationAlabama

Posted 30 September 2016 - 05:57 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 30 September 2016 - 05:52 AM, said:

good. Now repeat it a few more times to hit it home

I will say it every day until PGI either gets it or I am no longer passionate about the game like so many others. I have a good idea which will happen first.

#27 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:06 AM

Well considering the first clan hero mech promised was a Timber Wolf and then what happened? The Kodiak, the Linebacker, Huntsman, and Marauder IIC clan heros came out and only now Timber Wolf hero. But what actually bothers me more is that Russ considered this to hype up more so as content, than letting it be a nice surprise in the next patch.

#28 Tristan Winter

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,530 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:11 AM

On a serious note, maybe the number of people upgrading their mech packs to earn some loyalty mechs convinced PGI that there's still a lot of whales still playing MWO.

Why go to the trouble of creating a whole new chassis with completely new design, new animations, new textures, new concept art and new cockpit items, and sell basic packs for $25, when you can just draw a new texture for a Dire Wolf and sell that for $25?

It must be something like 5% of the amount of work required to sell a mech pack, and it generates the same income. Of course, mech packs also generate a lot of gravy from the Collector and Reinforcement packs, but I would imagine that the majority of buyers are just going for the basic pack.

And then you have people paying $40 to upgrade old Basic packs to get that single ECM Stalker / 2 Summoners.

People are just throwing money at the screen.

#29 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:12 AM

View Post627, on 30 September 2016 - 03:34 AM, said:

Actually we didn't even want the first one because pay2win and what not. That let to a rather mediocre yen-lo-wang at that times but we still got it.

Good times.

Hero mechs have been the most ado about nothing incident in the history of MWO. They have been reasonably balanced throughout.

I always like Hero's but I would have been fully open to a F2P method of unlocking them.

#30 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:26 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 30 September 2016 - 04:28 AM, said:

From PGI's desire to earn money. Where else?

Which is show perfectly in this screen cap from Facebook.

Posted Image

#31 TKSax

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,057 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:32 AM

View PostJetfire, on 30 September 2016 - 06:12 AM, said:

Hero mechs have been the most ado about nothing incident in the history of MWO. They have been reasonably balanced throughout.

I always like Hero's but I would have been fully open to a F2P method of unlocking them.

Well there was about a 9 month Reign the dragon slayer.....

#32 Davers

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,886 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCanada

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:37 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 30 September 2016 - 04:27 AM, said:

I never said that, or said that people said the never wanted clan heroes. I said people did wan't clan heroes.

What does this sentence even mean?
If you are going to ignore the spirit of the post and engage in pedantic games you should proofread your posts more.

#33 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 September 2016 - 06:39 AM

Posted Image

I for one find your ideas intriguing and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

Edited by Appogee, 30 September 2016 - 08:45 AM.

#34 Hot Trans Girl In Your Area

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5 posts
  • LocationYour Grid Square

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:11 AM

From World of Tanks.

#35 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:12 AM

View Post627, on 30 September 2016 - 03:34 AM, said:

Actually we didn't even want the first one because pay2win and what not. That let to a rather mediocre yen-lo-wang at that times but we still got it.

Good times.

You just call my Wang mediocre? I keel you.

#36 MrJeffers

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts
  • LocationThe Rock

Posted 30 September 2016 - 07:54 AM

View PostLugia3, on 30 September 2016 - 07:11 AM, said:

From World of Tanks.

^ This forum user wins the Internet for best First post ever. It's 100% correct.

Much of MWO's pricing and structure is patterned after WoT's model.

#37 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:26 AM

View PostMrJeffers, on 30 September 2016 - 07:54 AM, said:

Much of MWO's pricing and structure is patterned after WoT's model.

If only PGI would actually copy the tanks from WoT too LOL.

#38 Clownwarlord

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 September 2016 - 07:12 AM, said:

You just call my Wang mediocre? I keel you.

Well it is, we got Justin's Wang but what we really wanted was Kai's! That way we get 1 more energy hard point.

Kai's is:
Right Arm: 1 Ballistic
Right Torso: NA
Center: 1 Energy
Left Torso: NA
Left Arm: 2 Energy

Also Kai's get a lot of clan style upgrades :)

#39 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 08:40 AM

It's one of the many things that was asked for by the community. Belatedly delivered to the game. Which of course means the people that asked for it are often gone or simply don't care anymore. People moved on from wanting this. Russ should at least take a cursory look at the forums to realize people are tired of mechs. The game needs it's next big thing to look forward to. I'm certainly not holding my breath for QP FW. The community wants something new to sink their teeth into. Not another rehash of existing content, granted Clan Heroes was something people asked. But we desperately need something good.

#40 TLBFestus

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 30 September 2016 - 09:02 AM

View PostDavers, on 30 September 2016 - 06:37 AM, said:

What does this sentence even mean?
If you are going to ignore the spirit of the post and engage in pedantic games you should proofread your posts more.

That won't work. You see, the disorganization, confusion, and pure lack of continuity do not come from the posts, They come from the mind. It's not a typo, it's what's really going on "in there".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users