159 replies to this topic

#1 Stone Wall

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:40 AM

Who needs to hide behind rocks when you could just ... be a MechWarrior? To me MechWarrior 3 will always be superior in combat to WalletWarrior Online.

#2 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:50 AM

I love mech 3 as much as anyone.. But that game was a broken bug fest.. I can't tell you how many times i had to restart levels because of bugs that made it impossible to go on to the next mission.. Whoops.. JJ's through he cavern wall again!

Game breaking legging was the worst part, and any number of things and ways you could just break the AI/combat.. But at least, you could control that a bit, just by not taking advantage of the exploits.. while even still, when you just had to Salvage a certain mech.. Shadow Cat with 16 SL's it is! (PS PGI where is my 16 SL laser shadow cat? )

Was a fun game anyway, but mech 4 was vastly superior.. But watching that video it reminds me of the old battle zone.. Only it has colors! Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 10 October 2016 - 03:50 AM.

#3 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:54 AM

Completely agree, OP.

But it's important to remember that PGI isn't trying to make a Mechwarrior game. The past may as well be forgotten, for it is surely ignored.

#4 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:55 AM

Time for the all past mechwarrior games where perfect banter again.

#5 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 03:59 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 10 October 2016 - 03:55 AM, said:

Time for the all past mechwarrior games where perfect banter again.

Who the hell ever said something as ridiculous as that?

#6 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:03 AM

View Postlegatoblues, on 10 October 2016 - 03:59 AM, said:

Who the hell ever said something as ridiculous as that?

can't you read? the OP said that mechwarrior 3 combat was superior. That means he is simply referencing nostalgia as a basis for his claims. Which is something players tend to do on these forums. I also threw some sarcasm in there.

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 10 October 2016 - 04:12 AM.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:05 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 10 October 2016 - 03:50 AM, said:

I love mech 3 as much as anyone.. But that game was a broken bug fest.. I can't tell you how many times i had to restart levels because of bugs that made it impossible to go on to the next mission.. Whoops.. JJ's through he cavern wall again!

Game breaking legging was the worst part, and any number of things and ways you could just break the AI/combat.. But at least, you could control that a bit, just by not taking advantage of the exploits.. while even still, when you just had to Salvage a certain mech.. Shadow Cat with 16 SL's it is! (PS PGI where is my 16 SL laser shadow cat? )

Was a fun game anyway, but mech 4 was vastly superior.. But watching that video it reminds me of the old battle zone.. Only it has colors! Posted Image

i kind of have to agree here. nostalgia aside, a lot of the mech games were not of the best quality. 3 probibly had the best set of features. mechwarrior 2 had strange collision detection behavior (understandable, a lot of the games of that era still used aabb collision detection, which frankly was terrible). mechwarrior 4 was probibly the most stable, but it too had some annoying issues (like how annoyingly time consuming it was to populate a lan game with bots), as well as stripping some features. the controls were greatly simplified over 2 and 3, even mwll had some shoddy aspects to it. id love to see a top quality spare no expense mechwarrior game, but that aint happening with this iteration of mechwarrior. there is hbs but im not at all interested in a turn based game, and i worry they might get into the terrible habbit of taking shortcuts (like buying its art assets from pgi vs developing its own art department).

#8 Sopistan

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 42 posts
  • LocationAlicante/Spain

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:06 AM

I don´t know how much some people played the multiplayer from mw3/4/mercs, but as far as i remember, those games where a insta-kill PPc/gauss party, with mechs running in circles in the open ......

#9 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:13 AM

I remember playing MW3 online right when it came out, and all anyone said was that it sucked in every way that it differed from MW2. People complained that lag shooting was gone, and so the new game took no skill! The nostalgia is perennial.

#10 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:17 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 10 October 2016 - 04:03 AM, said:

can't you read? the OP said that mechwarrior 3 combat was superior. That means he is simply referencing nostalgia as a basis for his claims. Which is something players tend to do on these forums. I also threw some sarcasm in there.

How does it mean he's using nostalgia? It's perfectly reasonable for someone to say that they prefer the combat mechanics of the older games whilst still acknowledging that they were not at all perfect, often bugged and far from being without issue.

The gameplay styles of MWO and the earlier games are completely different by intentional design, but this is an element of the games that can be viewed separately to things like quality and stability.

Edited by legatoblues, 10 October 2016 - 04:17 AM.

#11 BLOOD WOLF

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 6,368 posts
  • Locationnowhere

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:20 AM

View Postlegatoblues, on 10 October 2016 - 04:17 AM, said:

How does it mean he's using nostalgia? It's perfectly reasonable for someone to say that they prefer the combat mechanics of the older games whilst still acknowledging that they were not at all perfect, often bugged and far from being without issue.

The gameplay styles of MWO and the earlier games are completely different by intentional design, but this is an element of the games that can be viewed separately to things like quality and stability.

where did he mention that "they were not all perfect". He said it was superior. If he comes and changes it, or clarifies then I'll change my statement. I also was not being literal in the use of the word "perfect".

They are not completely different otherwise they can not be compared. So which is it? are you speaking for the OP?

Edited by BLOOD WOLF, 10 October 2016 - 04:20 AM.

#12 Whiskey Dharma

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 141 posts
  • Location100 ms from Europe

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:21 AM

View PostSopistan, on 10 October 2016 - 04:06 AM, said:

I don´t know how much some people played the multiplayer from mw3/4/mercs, but as far as i remember, those games where a insta-kill PPc/gauss party, with mechs running in circles in the open ......

OMG circle fighting I forgot all about that. It was considered an art!

#13 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:25 AM

Good, bad, imperfect, whatever. I liked the old games just because they were made to play with a joy stick. Oh the days of the 3D-Pro.

#14 Jetfire

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:28 AM

Not even close. I loved MW4, I loved single player, but this game is honestly the high point of the series for PVP. Write a single player mode and it could easily be the best of them all. It isn't perfect or AAA quality, but this game is by no means out ranked by the prior games in absolute terms when it comes to PVP.

#15 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:32 AM

Funny, best friend of mine who is also a Mechwarrior fan had tried out MWO and didn't like it because it wasn't like previous Mechwarrior games. A shame, really.

I guess something really important about Mechwarrior franchise has been lost in the transition.

Edited by El Bandito, 10 October 2016 - 05:09 AM.

#16 FalconerGray

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 362 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 04:53 AM

View PostBLOOD WOLF, on 10 October 2016 - 04:20 AM, said:

where did he mention that "they were not all perfect". He said it was superior. If he comes and changes it, or clarifies then I'll change my statement. I also was not being literal in the use of the word "perfect".

They are not completely different otherwise they can not be compared. So which is it? are you speaking for the OP?

The OP states "superior in combat". Bugs and quality issues do not fall into the umbrella of "combat".

And apologies for missing the sarcasm. I read your post as being one from the "pro MWO esports/COD/quickplay / anti old-school mechwarrior" camp. It saddens me that we actually have people like that in the MWO playerbase.

Edited by legatoblues, 10 October 2016 - 04:55 AM.

#17 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:36 AM

After MWO and trying to go back and play the older titles I usually lose interest after about an hour. I find the control schema and overall game play and balance to be far better in MWO.

/shrug

#18 Widowmaker1981

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 10 October 2016 - 05:41 AM

Looks a lot worse to me... whats better about it?

#19 Bandilly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 635 posts

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:06 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 10 October 2016 - 05:41 AM, said:

Looks a lot worse to me... whats better about it?

I see giant open spaces.
I see his HUD offline 90% of the time.
I see ridiculous circle fights.

That game looks bad. I played 3 PvE a bit, that was fun, but this posted video does not make me nostalgic.

#20 Stone Wall

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 1,863 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 10 October 2016 - 06:21 AM

View PostSaint Scarlett Johan, on 10 October 2016 - 05:36 AM, said:

After MWO and trying to go back and play the older titles I usually lose interest after about an hour. I find the control schema and overall game play and balance to be far better in MWO.

/shrug

Default controls for KB/mouse were horrible. I changed mine to match Quake at the time ----> WASD and Spacebar for Jump Jets. I mean, who was going to use the arrows for movement and comma/period for torso twist? eww

I love circle fighting in the open. You had to lag shoot and dance your way in. By the time you get close, your HUD is scrambled from damage and you lost a few weapons.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users