72 replies to this topic

#61 EDMW CSN

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:07 AM

It does not really matter, I just hope this game ain't vaporware. I would be far too jaded if NOT a single MW game is released anymore. As for TT and MW4 mechlab, they all lead to boating, just somewhat different.

There is nothing wrong with both lab systems imo although I am far more partial to the TT labs. Boating issue is due to weapon balancing, NOT the labs themselves.

For example, if laser adhere to real TT rules (10 second rules) and applied in real time in my own visualization.

That could mean 2 seconds for aim and shooting, 3 seconds of keeping the laser on target location to do full damage (scattered and lower damage if it hits other locations) and 5 seconds cool down.

But would anyone actually use it ? For some yes but I am pretty damn sure sniper laser boating pop tarts won't. They will mount on Gauss rifles and PPCs instead.

Then we will have to balance Gauss rifles and PPCs. Gauss rifles inherently balanced themselves with their TT restrictions, heavy tonnage, explode on hit, minimum range and consume ammo. That leaves PPCs and their dreaded Clan tech variant... The list will go on and on.

So point being, it is NOT the labs at fault, it is the way weapons are balanced.

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 23 December 2011 - 10:10 AM.

#62 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:21 AM

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 23 December 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

It does not really matter, I just hope this game ain't vaporware. I would be far too jaded if NOT a single MW game is released anymore. As for TT and MW4 mechlab, they all lead to boating, just somewhat different.

There is nothing wrong with both lab systems imo although I am far more partial to the TT labs. Boating issue is due to weapon balancing, NOT the labs themselves.

For example, if laser adhere to real TT rules (10 second rules) and applied in real time in my own visualization.

That could mean 2 seconds for aim and shooting, 3 seconds of keeping the laser on target location to do full damage (scattered and lower damage if it hits other locations) and 5 seconds cool down.

But would anyone actually use it ? For some yes but I am pretty damn sure sniper laser boating pop tarts won't. They will mount on Gauss rifles and PPCs instead.

Then we will have to balance Gauss rifles and PPCs. Gauss rifles inherently balanced themselves with their TT restrictions, heavy tonnage, explode on hit, minimum range and consume ammo. That leaves PPCs and their dreaded Clan tech variant... The list will go on and on.

So point being, it is NOT the labs at fault, it is the way weapons are balanced.

If they penalized heat like in TT, you'd see a lot less PPC use.

#63 guardiandashi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:30 AM

View PostOppi, on 23 December 2011 - 06:34 AM, said:

You can't just switch weapons in a normal Inner Sphere non-Omni without having a fully equipped Mech factory and some very skilled techs, and even then some things just won't work because of all the little errors occuring whenever you change a working system (as everybody who ever scratchbuilt a PC will agree :) ). So normally there would be given Mechs with given armament and some variants that have been developed, tested and sold by the actual manufacturer, and that's it. If something got blown up in the field and you tried to repair it with a non standard part, you'd run into problems.

this is actually incorrect
in the refit rules you have ALWAYS been able to change weapons without going back to the factory.

in the current REFIT rules there are grades A-F refits
A and B refits can be done LITERALLY in the field, IE I take my marauder and pull out the right arm ppc, and replace it with an ER large laser and a medium pulse laser and I can do it quite literally in a field with not much more than hand tools.

level C and D refits need a maintenance bay such as is on most dropships
here you can swap ANY weapons and change an AC 20 for stacks of machine guns regardless of what the mech NORMALLY carries, or remove a bunch of small weapons and replace them with a big one, or upgrade the SHS to DHS

level E and F are the factory refits, things like replacing the chassis, or changing from a std to xl engine

#64 EDMW CSN

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,073 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:35 AM

View PostHayden, on 23 December 2011 - 10:21 AM, said:

If they penalized heat like in TT, you'd see a lot less PPC use.

Correction, if they made heat and DHS work like in TT, all players will be forced to learn bracket firing very well. If you can sink 32 heat to fire 2 Clan ERPPCs while running, that is 32 heat sinked over 10 seconds. Or a mere 3.2 heat a second.

So for that 10 seconds, any extra weapon fire will push your mech heat scale over the edge and caused you to overheat, coupled with TT heat penalties, this will encourage sniper players to boat Gauss rifles instead...

So yeah...

Edited by [EDMW]CSN, 23 December 2011 - 10:39 AM.

#65 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 10:45 AM

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 23 December 2011 - 10:35 AM, said:

Correction, if they made heat and DHS work like in TT, all players will be forced to learn bracket firing very well. If you can sink 32 heat to fire 2 Clan ERPPCs while running, that is 32 heat sinked over 10 seconds. Or a mere 3.2 heat a second.

So for that 10 seconds, any extra weapon fire will push your mech heat scale over the edge and caused you to overheat, coupled with TT heat penalties, this will encourage sniper players to boat Gauss rifles instead...

So yeah...

And if they boat Gauss rifles, the explode/high tonnage/ammo/whatever restrictions will negate that a bit. Again, I don't want to restrict player choices, I want to encourage variety.

If they make heat penalties serious, and shutdown penalties serious, that alone will fix the 7ERLL Novacats doing alpha strikes, shutting down, and repeating.

#66 Oppi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • LocationCologne, Germany

Posted 23 December 2011 - 01:55 PM

View Postguardiandashi, on 23 December 2011 - 10:30 AM, said:

this is actually incorrect

I don't know the TT rules because I never played it, but I do know what the fluff says. Effectively nobody had a customized Battlemech in any book I read, because it was so damn difficult to do the modifications and to get anything else than the factory loadouts to work. You couldn't just "pull A out and put B in", you'd have to cut hardmounted weapons out of the Mech, refit the chassis to hold the new weapon, get all the energy supplies right, make sure there was ammo supply (for example if you switched an energy weapon for an AC or something) and so on and so on and so on. The clans advantage was to have standardized parts you could just plug in, calibrate, and they worked (and so, using clan weapons in normal Battlemechs is yet another pain in the *** for your techs, because the clans standard doesn't fit the IS mechs). So even if the TT rules allow it, it's just not possible to do it in field, because you don't have the time and/or the right tools.

Only regiment leaders or other rich or important persons ever had their own variants, because they had the resources/skills/time to do it.

I never said it wasn't possible, I just said the normal Mechwarrior wouldn't be able or allowed to do it, because his mech belonged to his unit, he didn't have the money or equipment to do it, or it would just be too expensive compared to the possible use of the modification.

There's a reason there are canon variants.

Edited by Oppi, 23 December 2011 - 01:57 PM.

#67 GaussDragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:49 PM

Let me start off by explaining how I see the distinctions between MechWarrior and BattleTech and how these distinctions (that I perceive) colour my thinking. MechWarrior is a series of computer games that is based off the greater BattleTech universe. This is how I see MechWarrior and that's why I classify myself as a MechWarrior fan more so than a BT fan, however I'm completely aware that the two are mutually inclusive to a high degree since one is a byproduct of the other. Because MW is an interactive game and not just fiction per se, it can/sometimes has to take liberties in order to make the game work. Technical limitations aren't what they used to be however I think the MW series of games should be granted a degree of artistic license in order to suit the mood and feel of the games that are made.

With that said, I think the two major camps are divided by philosophical differences stemming largely (for the sake of overall simplicity here, I'm well aware that there are tons of little permutations) from these:

BattleTech adherents: MechWarrior as an extract of BT needs to be CANONICAL, and that is the overall priority. All other considerations have to be taken as largely secondary.

MechWarrior adherents: MechWarrior is a game, and therefore everything is subordinate to balance and gameplay. It is obviously rooted in the BT universe, but for the sake of certain gaming fundamentals, some aspects of canon or lore may have to be sacrificed in order to allow the game to play better.

I consider myself a member of the MechWarrior camp. I believe MechWarrior was a game that was made with some artistic and pragmatic independence from the IP that spawned it. Look at MechCommander and MechAssault, these are games that are rooted in the overall BT universe but at the same time, they are works of art unto themselves, and I believe their names say a lot about this. They're mech games, but they have obvious differences that the developers had the freedom to make in order to make something different.

As a self-labelled MechWarrior, I have no problem with more of the lore and fictional tech elements making their way into the game, as a MechWarrior, I've already subscribed to the overall BT universe implicitly. However, these elements need to be implemented in balanced, fun and innovative ways, and if they have natural unbalancing effects, the developers should make use of artistic license to modify these elements so that they fit into a gaming environment more organically.

We also have to recognize that the nature of the BT universe, when ported to game, has a lot of natural/inherent imbalance. Are at all surprised that when we ported this universe to a game, that a lot of imbalances emerged, and alpha-striking laser boats dominated the fields? There's a huge variety of weapons but when putting them in a game setting, some just naturally stand out more than others. It's up to the devs to use artistic/pragmatic license to change some of these features in order to make them work as a game. MWO is not only a game, it is a game rooted in a very expansive set of fiction, it's also a business, and it's incorporating a F2P model that is going to have to take into account all of the pre-existing challenges, the challenges to making this game balanced increase exponentially with all these factors layered upon each other. None of these considerations were even remote in the minds of the authors who penned some of the early fiction decades ago that makes up the base of the IP's overall canon.

I notice a lot of commenters here seek immersion via simulation, I seek immersion via flow of game. EVE may have been immersive, but when I was mining asteroids, you can bet your *** I was reading a book every time. I believe some simulation elements have the effect of actually detracting from immersion or attention to the game. We all play games for different reasons and derive fun and satisfaction from different aspects but for me, personally, I always found the idea of a simulation based on things that don't exist to be oxymoronic. However, it could just be a semantic issue, and when people say simulation, they mean something slightly different.

The most common things I take umbrage with that I hear frequently from the canonical/purist camp. These are common issues and by no means wholly applicable to the BT camp.

1. Lowest common denominator straw man argument: As I've explained, the MW camp (by my definition) is motivated by balance, we don't argue to against canonical items to 'dumb the game down', we argue so these things in order to make the game (IMHO) work. Like I said, as MechWarriors, we've implicitly subscribed to the fiction too. If the devs suggested adding energy swords to the game, you can bet we'd be just as appalled as the purists.
2. I know more than you therefore my opinion counts more: I've stated in other threads that I have no problem with people being extremely well-versed in the game, I respect the knowledge level a lot of purists have for this game, I really do. However, spamming the Sarna link makes you look like a dick. Credit where credit is due, wikis are a create aspect of a vibrant and enthusiastic part of any gaming community and my hat goes off to the people who run it. However, just because you know more about the backstory, does not mean (IMHO) you know more about making a better game. I disagree with OP's statement about us being overwhelmed by the BT universe and all its fiction. I simply choose not to read every book. As a MechWarrior, and consistent with the definition I laid out, I'm more interested in the game itself than the fiction overall. I've spent hours on the Sarna wiki, some things I find really interesting, but when it comes to reading books, personally, I read mostly non-fiction. Everyone is different. Also, the BT universe is great, but some of fiction is poorly written in places and not all of it is exciting from my point of view.
3. Entitlement complex: I think this stems from both 2 and the fact that those in the BT camp simply are more canon-minded. Some players simply do not subscribed to the notion of compromise very much, but this can and does afflict the MW camp too. We have to understand that that PGI is first and foremost, a business. These guys gotta get paid and have families to feed. They have to make a complex product that has broad appeal and if they can make this a financial success, it will be better for all of us fans of the BT universe in general because it means more developers will be inclined to make content for our beloved IP.

At the end of the day, BT, MW and even MA adherent will at least try this game. We're all here because we've become enamoured with the idea of 100 ton mechs striding across the battlefield, armed to the teeth. I think we'll all probably be pretty happy with this game in the end so long as PGI doesn't design mechs that go ice skating all over the place like their oriental cousins :)

Edited by GaussDragon, 23 December 2011 - 04:59 PM.

#68 Pht

• 2,299 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:28 PM

View PostHyuga Tseng, on 22 December 2011 - 05:52 PM, said:

I think in the end they need to find a healthy medium between MW2/3 and MW4 style labbing.

Posted Image

Kinda like this?

Btw, "Blue" is mislabeled. It should be "equipment" which means you can put heatsinks there, maybe ammo, and endosteel and ferro fibrous armor crits.

View PostOppi, on 23 December 2011 - 06:34 AM, said:

You can't just switch weapons in a normal Inner Sphere non-Omni without having a fully equipped Mech factory and some very skilled techs,

Actually, as long as you have a normal maintenance facility (like on a dropship built for toting 'mechs or a planet side maintenance facility) and a while, you can swap weapons out.

Factory level changes are for doing things like changing the internal structure (bones) type, swapping engines, changing the weight class of a 'mech ...

View Post[EDMW]CSN, on 23 December 2011 - 10:07 AM, said:

Boating issue is due to weapon balancing, NOT the labs themselves.

Oh, the mw3 style completely unrestricted lab did contribute massively to boating. It made all 'mechs into gunbags.

As far as the weapons ... they're not unbalanced; their performance envelopes are well known by now and are easily worked around. IMO besides the labs, it's been the lack of really and completely translating over the heat penalties that has really been the second largest factor contributing to boats being so easy.

Of course, "boats" being evil is kind of funny, because there are boats in the lore before omnimechs ever showed up ... and obviously every omni is a boat on legs (they're designed to be able to do it!)

#69 Todd O Connor

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationLivonia Michigan

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

Well said well spoken you seem to have a good grasp of both sides..that being said what I want is what many tabletop wargamers have done when the tabletop hasn't been enough, they turned to reenacting, I want my MWO experience to be like that. I wanna know what its like to pilot a battlemech with top of the line graphics and alarms sounding as my mech takes hit after hit I wanna know that fear feeling as I'm deciding to punch out or stick with my mech just a few seconds more and try to ride it out before core breach. I wanna be the mechwarrior I've always wanted to be but this century hasn't allowed me to be. I don't want a game I want an experience I wanna test my skills and see if I have the right stuff to be a mechwarrior. All those books I've read and games I've played I want to be able to answer the question could I survive in this situation that so many of my heroes have been in. This game is going to be unlike any other online game you will know exhiliration and fear it won't just be tapping buttons thats what I'm hoping they're going to bring to us. If they came out with a peripheral neurohelmet that generated heat and made me sweat I'd be all over it that's how real i want my experience to be :)

Todd O'Connor
11th Atrean Dragoons
Duchy of Oriente, Calloway VI
23 December 3048

#70 MrJoshua

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in the midwest, USA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:45 PM

I've played this game since 1985. I love the fact that someone was willing to blow the dust off of it and take on this huge undertaking. I applaud all of the developers who listen to the 'young crowd' and us TT old-timers. I am very excited about it and if everything isn't canon..so what. I get to shoot stuff again!

#71 MrJoshua

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSomewhere deep in the midwest, USA

Posted 23 December 2011 - 06:47 PM

oh yea...I wore out my copy of Mechwarrior blending it into my universe of Battletech table top...

#72 Raeven

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 324 posts
  • LocationHal's Bar. Middletown, Cathay District, Solaris VII

Posted 24 December 2011 - 01:28 PM

GaussDragon, on 24 December 2011 - 12:49 AM, said:

With that said, I think the two major camps are divided by philosophical differences stemming largely (for the sake of overall simplicity here, I'm well aware that there are tons of little permutations) from these:

BattleTech adherents: MechWarrior as an extract of BT needs to be CANONICAL, and that is the overall priority. All other considerations have to be taken as largely secondary.

MechWarrior adherents: MechWarrior is a game, and therefore everything is subordinate to balance and gameplay. It is obviously rooted in the BT universe, but for the sake of certain gaming fundamentals, some aspects of canon or lore may have to be sacrificed in order to allow the game to play better.

<snip>

1. Lowest common denominator straw man argument: As I've explained, the MW camp (by my definition) is motivated by balance, we don't argue to against canonical items to 'dumb the game down', we argue so these things in order to make the game (IMHO) work. Like I said, as MechWarriors, we've implicitly subscribed to the fiction too. If the devs suggested adding energy swords to the game, you can bet we'd be just as appalled as the purists.

I contend that we both want the same thing, balance, but disagree how to get it. The MW players look at previous interpretations of the game and see an imbalance. They argue that, since it is imbalanced, the rules need to be changed to balance it better for the video game. What they either don't realise, or refuse to accept, is that the board game already had that balance built into it and the first iterations of the video games did not account for that balance when they made their changes to influence "gameplay". So generation to generation of MW game saw changes that moved further and further away from the original, to achieve a balance that has not yet been achieved.

That's the main issue the Battletech canon guys have. Not that changes need to be made to preserve the balance, but that these changes keep moving further and further away from the original intent. A prime example in MW4 correcting for issues with MW3 was medium and short range weapon gimps (mainly the medium laser and small laser) that made mounting them on your 'Mech useless. What they didn't do was correct for the problem that made those weapons imbalanced, imo single point hit location Alpha strikes, they instead made the weapons useless.

MPBT:Solaris and MW1 were the truest interpretations of the board game there was. As ugly as they were, they were about the best interpretation of the board game (other than MG's in MW1). Solaris VII highlighted the issues with a direct port the best. The biggest thing MPBT illustrated was that when a change was made from the board numbers, it made the weapon too powerful. LRM and SRM, instead of checking vs. the missle to hit table to determine the number of missles that hit, they did full damage with a 60/40 split. So an LRM 20 would do 12 points to the aimed at location and 8 points to a randomly determined adjacent location. As a result, missles were the dominant weapon in the game. Single hit location TIC/Alpha strikes were very powerful, making light 'Mechs with 4 medium lasers have the same strength and power as the Hunchback. Armor values weren't bad, but hitbox locations on a 'Mech highlighted the balance of armor a great deal. You could take two 'mechs with the exact same stats and put them in different chassis and the chassis would determine the win.

Now, I'm not saying I want a random number generator to determine all of my hits, or that I want to lock onto a 'Mech and let my pilots "skill" value determine whether I hit or not. I want the problems that cause the balance to be rectified without changing the boardgame balance of the weapons, because I have seen from experience that changing those values, either through the numbers or gameplay, changes the balance every time.

#73 GaussDragon

• 2,183 posts
  • LocationToronto

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:44 AM

View PostRaeven, on 24 December 2011 - 01:28 PM, said:

MPBT:Solaris and MW1 were the truest interpretations of the board game there was. As ugly as they were, they were about the best interpretation of the board game (other than MG's in MW1). Solaris VII highlighted the issues with a direct port the best. The biggest thing MPBT illustrated was that when a change was made from the board numbers, it made the weapon too powerful. LRM and SRM, instead of checking vs. the missle to hit table to determine the number of missles that hit, they did full damage with a 60/40 split. So an LRM 20 would do 12 points to the aimed at location and 8 points to a randomly determined adjacent location. As a result, missles were the dominant weapon in the game. Single hit location TIC/Alpha strikes were very powerful, making light 'Mechs with 4 medium lasers have the same strength and power as the Hunchback. Armor values weren't bad, but hitbox locations on a 'Mech highlighted the balance of armor a great deal. You could take two 'mechs with the exact same stats and put them in different chassis and the chassis would determine the win.

Your premise is based on two assumptions that you take that I (respectfully) disagree with.

1. Explicit argument: That the game should be based in some part on the board game. Ergo (my extrapolation); not as a standalone game in its own right, with its own flavour of balance. (As per my 'MechWarrior' definition)
2. Implicit argument: That board game rules, left as is, would maintain their balance when ported over to a computer game.

On the first count I disagree, based of course, on my MW philosophy. On the second, I would argue that trying to port tabletop rules and balance on to a computer game with much greater complexity, and twitch-based gameplay, makes them incompatible, or rather, not wholly compatible.

I am gleaning something from your point of view though, and I'll agree, that the holy grail of 'balance' has not been achieved, in any of the games. However, as pragmatists, my camp has no problem with canon so long as it is actually 'fun'. (forgive me for a very subjective term)

I suspect, in fact I know, that PGI is bridging our two camps pretty well. I reject the argument (which I've seen time and time again) that 'compromise won't make anyone happy' in that implying that finding innovative ways to make canonical aspects fun and balanced parts of the game is impossible. I'll pull out some with food for thought from our favourite source document, the constitutionFAQ of MWO:

Q. How loyal will MechWarrior® Online™ be to the tabletop rules (heat management, melee, armor penetration, etc.)?
A. We are adhering very closely to the BattleTech® tabletop rules. Some mechanics in the tabletop version of the game do not translate well into a videogame and we are coming up with our own rule sets that mitigate these differences in an intuitive and fun manner.

I think that in the end we'll both be happy. You'll get something that adheres to a large part, to what you remember, I'll get something that is fun to play with a good flow of gameplay. For me, I won't play the game if it becomes TableTop® Online™. What I mean by that is something which carried over BT canon but didn't do a good enough of job of making a MechWarrior PC game which should have a good flow of gameplay, and is aware of its role as a twitch-based game which relies on mice, keyboards and joysticks, not dice and RNGs.

Edited by GaussDragon, 25 December 2011 - 08:09 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users