#1 Woodstock

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:24 AM

Hello.

Okay so I asked this when we were talking about community warfare but sadly did not get it answered.

I know you guys sometimes answer question ... out of the goodness of your hearts ... soooooo:

'What will be the minimum size of a mercenary corporation?'

I'm hoping the answer will be 4 (So you can field one full lance. Much like Carlyles commandos.)

#2 dr cyanide

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:32 AM

well

A standardlance consists of one light, one medium, and two heavy BattleMechs
A company consists of three lances and normally some ancillary units, usually scout, armor, or artillery.
A battalion consists of three companies and is a large organization. It is normally composed of at least thirty-six 'Mechs plus aerospace, artillery, reconnaissance, medical, and numerous other support staff and personnel.
Regiments are very large organizations and the great houses normally organize their regular units into regiments; these are the largest formations in common use. This is traditionally the lowest level of organization that a house's high command will direct (outside of mercenary units). Regiments are commanded by colonels or their equivalent. Regimental commanders rarely engage in combat operations personally; the ability to organize a regimental-sized group is usually not possible on the field of battle. The size of the unit in personnel is not just based upon the combat forces, but it also includes the technical, transportation, scout, and other support personnel and materiel. Regiments are self-sufficient units and usually have their own dedicated DropShips and possibly even JumpShip.
Regiments consist of three to five battalions, commanded by a Colonel or General, for a total of one hundred and eight to one hundred and eighty 'Mechs or combat vehicles. Additional support battalions such as infantry are often attached to the regiment as well.

Souce: http://www.sarna.net...it_Organization

So I'm kinda hoping that merc corps can go up to battalion size. or even regiment size

#3 Tifalia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:46 AM

View Postdr cyanide, on 07 January 2012 - 05:32 AM, said:

So I'm kinda hoping that merc corps can go up to battalion size. or even regiment size

Since it will consist mostly of living, breathing people (players) you might find it a little hard to reach battalion size, let alone regiment, since you would need as many people to join your personal unit, when interests lie much more with joining Houses and the option to play as Clan, so I think the most you could hope for would be company size, if you are lucky.

#4 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:47 AM

Sadly none of that answers my question.

Though all of it was interesting.

I'm refering to the player groups that work together as a mercenary corporation. Not the battlefield groupings.

Rik

#5 Tifalia

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • LocationBoardwalk, Capellan Confederation

Posted 07 January 2012 - 05:52 AM

View Postwoodstock, on 07 January 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

Sadly none of that answers my question.

Though all of it was interesting.

I'm refering to the player groups that work together as a mercenary corporation. Not the battlefield groupings.

Rik

The short answer to that is that no one knows yet what it will be like, not just for mercenary corps but Houses and other factions as well.

#6 Kezran Vrass

• PipPip
  • 43 posts
  • Locationscotland

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:07 AM

id assume 4 as a merc unit would need at least one lance

#7 Demi-Precentor Konev

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 386 posts
  • LocationDnepropetrovsk, Galedon Military District

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

How it will work ingame? No idea. In the actual setting? A merc "corp" can be as small as one guy with a Locust.

#8 Dlardrageth

• 1,198 posts
  • LocationF.R.G.

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:35 AM

Well, we cannot know for sure, but a minimum size of 4 would somewhat make sense. Now for the eventual maximum size... that's a totally different can of worms...

Sure useful to keep in mind though, that in general the sizes run:
  • on a base 4 system for the IS
  • on a base 5 system for the Clans
  • on a base 6 system for ComStar/WoB
And yes, as far as organizational structure is concerned, there are things like a square company or a square battalion. Former having one extra (command) lance and latter consists of 4 companies plus an eventual extra command lance. Bigger-sized units in the IS seem to be more varied in terms of actual numbers on their roster anyway, in particular when it comes to combined-arms units that closely integrate aerospace and tank/infantry assets.

Edited by Dlardrageth, 07 January 2012 - 06:36 AM.

#9 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:38 AM

Given that they have said that maximum battle size would be 12v12 it would be nice if there was the ability for multiple small merc corps to join together to bid on a contract. Alternatively they could have smaller matches to cope with 1 or 2 lance merc corps. I can't see them limiting merc corps to only company sizes or bigger. This also applies to larger gaming clans who may have (say) 40 members available at the time. That would have to be broken up into a number of battles, one being lance sized.

#10 Skwisgaar Skwigelf

• 1,136 posts
  • LocationMordhaus

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:55 AM

4 sounds like a good minimum. I like the company-sized battle groups in matches but it would be cool to every once in a while see a huge battalion scale battle with multiple faction or merc units per side.

#11 John Clavell

• 1,609 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

I'm going to assume for Merc Companies, if you wish to have total control in a drop, will want 12 pilots. PGI seems to imply were units don't have 12, your numbers would be supplemented by 'Lone Wolf' players, which for a competitive team is obviously not desirable. So as per a minimum number, I would guess at least 4 people or one single lance. However, if you want to be in total control of your match, then I suggest you look to having at least 12 - 24 people on your roster.

Edited by John Clavell, 07 January 2012 - 07:05 AM.

#12 dr cyanide

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 105 posts
  • LocationSouth Africa

Posted 07 January 2012 - 08:04 AM

well IF we can control a company with 150 odd members it would be brilliant for securing multiple contracts... now as an EVE online player there's nothing difficult about managing 150+ people... hells I've flown in fleets of 700+ all it is effective command and control.

still.. I do hope for battalion.

#13 Kristov Kerensky

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,909 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:24 AM

PGI hasn't said what the minimum required is for starting a Merc Corp, so we simply have no idea.

Personally, I figure they'll set it to 4 people.

#14 Gattling Fenn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 589 posts
  • LocationOverheating in front of a Timberwolf

Posted 07 January 2012 - 11:31 AM

I am hoping we can make faction alligned units. Id love to form a battalion of 36 Steiner pilots broken into 9 lances.

#15 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 January 2012 - 12:11 PM

We have not decided the final number. Somehwere between 4-12. We're concerned about having low requirements as it will create hundreds of corps that really can participate in the territory battles. Likely we'll start high and reduce over time as we add contracts/features that support smaller units.

#16 Mason Grimm

Com Guard / Technician

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,886 posts
  • LocationToronto, ON

Posted 07 January 2012 - 01:16 PM

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww so that forces Company Commanders to go for quantity over quality.

"You got a pulse (laser too)? Your computer hardware can handle dropping you into combat? Have we got a job for you! Sign up today for Cannon Fodder Incorporated". We need 8 more Fodder Friends to start up!

Just sayin ;)

Edited by Mason Grimm, 07 January 2012 - 02:29 PM.

#17 Woodstock

• Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationKrakow

Posted 07 January 2012 - 02:19 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 07 January 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

We have not decided the final number. Somehwere between 4-12. We're concerned about having low requirements as it will create hundreds of corps that really can participate in the territory battles. Likely we'll start high and reduce over time as we add contracts/features that support smaller units.

Seeee ... I knew they had hearts!

;)

Thanks for the reply. Please don't make it too big.

#18 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:04 AM

View PostTifalia, on 07 January 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

Since it will consist mostly of living, breathing people (players) you might find it a little hard to reach battalion size, let alone regiment, since you would need as many people to join your personal unit, when interests lie much more with joining Houses and the option to play as Clan, so I think the most you could hope for would be company size, if you are lucky.

If you build it, they will come. Company sized isn't THAT hard, even this far out from launch.

#19 SilentWolff

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 2,174 posts
  • LocationNew Las Vegas

Posted 08 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 07 January 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

View PostMason Grimm, on 07 January 2012 - 01:16 PM, said:

Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww so that forces Company Commanders to go for quantity over quality.

"You got a pulse (laser too)? Your computer hardware can handle dropping you into combat? Have we got a job for you! Sign up today for Cannon Fodder Incorporated". We need 8 more Fodder Friends to start up!

Just sayin ^_^

Although I understand that dilemma Bryan, I'm with Mason on this.

4 people is probably too small, but 8 sounds bout right. I'd try not to force people to add players that are below the required skill level of that unit. That may have the unfortunate side effect of frustrating people into not playing at all.
Also, if a small group of elite players makes a name for themselves in a particulair unit, then there is a good chance that unit would grow. I know that was the case with our unit in MW3. In fact, we grew to over 50 members and we won VL back in the day. We certainly didnt start out with those kind of numbers.

Food for thought. ^_^

#20 Phelan Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 190 posts
  • LocationPreparing for battle in Wolf Occupation Zone...

Posted 08 January 2012 - 12:08 PM

To be honest I am more curious as to how they will work clan players and unit sizes into the equation. As in, how does a player become a Star Captain or Star Colonel and can players ever lead Clusters or galaxies of clanners in a(Guild like)fashion within whichever clan they are in, etc... I am def. hoping there will be trials for every starting MechWarrior who wishes to be clanner as it is in the lore and then continue from there. The reason I am so curious bout how players will be able to lead Clusters, Binaries, galaxies, etc, is because I know many many clan loving players(Like Myself)that would definitely enjoy setting up a Cluster or such with them and their buddies to go out and rock the MWO world...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users