Repainted Concept Art

Art

7764 replies to this topic

#2081 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 May 2012 - 09:30 AM

I guess he's shooting that SL at some children of his lawn. :)

I don't know why, but every time I see NWH, they seem like a group of old pipe-smoking men. :wacko:

Nice repaint. :)

#2082 Ironhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:55 AM

View PostAdridos, on 20 May 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

I guess he's shooting that SL at some children of his lawn. :wacko:

I don't know why, but every time I see NWH, they seem like a group of old pipe-smoking men. :wacko:

Nice repaint. :)

Thanks. He's actually shooting at a fleeing Liao Raven :) !

#2083 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

View PostIronhawk, on 20 May 2012 - 10:55 AM, said:

Thanks. He's actually shooting at a fleeing Liao Raven :) !

Northwind Higlanders never left the immediate space around their beloved Northwind. No way they could fire at a Liao Raven. :)

#2084 Ironhawk

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,333 posts
  • LocationMontreal

Posted 20 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

Touché. It was a good joke though... :)

#2085 Bullet Magnet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 May 2012 - 10:50 PM

View PostIronhawk, on 20 May 2012 - 09:23 AM, said:

Wasn't so sure about shiny but I didn't want to let you down so I whipped up this Highlander Cicada model, inspired by the miniature work of Captain_of_the_Watch on CSO. The insignia has been rebuilt from scratch. Hope you like it.

I like it! I didn't see your post about a private message until pretty recently, sorry about that. As far as the fancy shine I've been doing, I figured that with us not being allowed to use the name Northwind Highlanders anymore, I'd have some more liberty to change the camo specs. Our new name is actually the Windbourne Highlanders now, so we'll see!

#2086 Brian Banzai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 731 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationLebanon, TN

Posted 21 May 2012 - 06:05 AM

View PostAdridos, on 20 May 2012 - 09:30 AM, said:

I guess he's shooting that SL at some children of his lawn. :P

I don't know why, but every time I see NWH, they seem like a group of old pipe-smoking men. ;)

Thats cause we ARE a bunch of grumpy old pipe smoking men, dang kids today....................
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted Image

#2087 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,372 posts

Posted 21 May 2012 - 05:40 PM

Meanwhile in the FRR
Posted Image

#2088 StonedDead

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  • LocationOn a rock, orbiting a giant nuclear reactor

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:16 AM

Can't do a whole lot with art, but I gave it a try and this is what I came up with! Not bad for windows paint. I just wish I knew how to use gimp really well or how to do the pics like others have posted, they all look very nice.

Posted Image

Edited by Zekester81, 22 May 2012 - 01:20 AM.

#2089 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:34 AM

View PostZekester81, on 22 May 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Can't do a whole lot with art, but I gave it a try and this is what I came up with! Not bad for windows paint. I just wish I knew how to use gimp really well or how to do the pics like others have posted, they all look very nice.

Posted Image

Even for paint that's not bad. Heck, a life time ago I got started in paint doing very similar stuff. I know it's trite, but we all have to start somewhere.

#2090 Threat Doc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 3,715 posts
  • LocationO'Shaughnnessy MMW Base, Devon Continent, Rochester, FedCom

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:47 AM

I had similar origins, and now I'm able to do all manner of things with an art program that's 18 years old. Hehe, I really need to learn to use a new art program.

#2091 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:24 AM

Here is a Cicada without the (rotatory) Autocannon:

Posted Image

EDIT: filled the black hole.

Edited by Odanan, 22 May 2012 - 11:19 AM.

#2092 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:09 AM

View PostOdanan, on 22 May 2012 - 09:24 AM, said:

Here is a Cicada without the (rotatory) Autocannon:

Really nice (even though you could've been more imaginative instead of all black), but for the last time: IT'S NOT A ROTARY! :P

#2093 Hayden

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,997 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

View PostAdridos, on 22 May 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Really nice (even though you could've been more imaginative instead of all black), but for the last time: IT'S NOT A ROTARY! :P

Yeah, it's true...

#2094 Odanan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,199 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

View PostAdridos, on 22 May 2012 - 10:09 AM, said:

Really nice (even though you could've been more imaginative instead of all black), but for the last time: IT'S NOT A ROTARY! ;)

The "rotatory" was meant to be sarcastic. I know it's a UC5, that's why I don't like it with 3 barrels.

Edited by Odanan, 22 May 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#2095 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:23 AM

Thanks for the fix, it looks a lot better now. ;)

#2096 japaja

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 11:48 AM

hmm nice pictures ;) like all

#2097 Minatorc

• PipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 74 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostZekester81, on 22 May 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Somewhere in the first 10-15 pages of this thread CakeBandit links a really good tutorial on repaints for photoshop. Using that and watching a couple of youtube videos I learnt enough of Gimp to be able to recolour the templates helpfully included on the first page (with only minor tweaking ;) ).

#2098 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:33 AM

Ooh... I can't wait to see Ironhawks or Hayden's take on Death Commandos and some other Capellan (Preston's Lancers) units Cataphract. :lol:

#2099 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostMinatorc, on 22 May 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

Somewhere in the first 10-15 pages of this thread CakeBandit links a really good tutorial on repaints for photoshop. Using that and watching a couple of youtube videos I learnt enough of Gimp to be able to recolour the templates helpfully included on the first page (with only minor tweaking :lol: ).

Link to the text below

http://mwomercs.com/...post__p__182903

View Postguardian wolf, on 30 March 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

How do you add on paint layers like that, whenever I do it, it seems to just cover the original, or does it have to do with transparency?

View Postmaxoconnor, on 30 March 2012 - 09:21 AM, said:

Does anyone have the step by step instructions on how to create a color layer filter? I'd like to be able to make my own and I can't seem to find the instructions on how to do it in Photoshop.

Hayden and Cake Bandit posted way back in this thread these tips:

Hayden's Tutorial

View PostHayden, on 16 November 2011 - 12:53 PM, said:

Ask and ye shall receive (Sorry if this is convoluted. I've been using PS for quite a few years, but never bothered to learn the proper terminology for a lot of things. That, coupled with the fact that I've been running on caffeine for the past couple days mean this is going to be an interesting tutorial).

This will just cover the basics. If it's too confusing I'll come back after I've had a chance to sleep so I can fix things.

I'd like to give a tutorial for freeware like GIMP, but I just don't have the working knowledge for that. This tutorial assumes that you are using one of Adobe's Photoshop CS programs. My particular version is CS5, but I think my technique should be backwards-compatible. I discourage piracy, and if anyone doesn't have a legal copy of Photoshop I will be happy to sit down and take the time to learn GIMP so I can prepare another tutorial for you to use. Please don't pirate software.

Ok, now that the PSA is over, let's edit some concept art! This tutorial assumes you are basically unfamiliar with Photoshop CS5.

Step 1:
Open Photoshop.

Step 2:
Open the image you'll be editing, and (if you want to have a template you can go back to) save the image as a .psd file.

Step 3. create a new layer (CTRL+SHIFT+N, or Layer>New>Layer...) On the window that pops up it will ask for the following info:

NAME: (For this tutorial, type in "Soft White").
CHECK BOX ("Use Previous Layer to Create Clipping Mask" just ignore this)
MODE: (This is important! Set this one to "Soft Light")
OPACITY: (Leave this at 100%)

Then press OK! You now have a new layer over the image. You can select it in the "Layers" section in the lower right-hand corner. Do this now.

Step 4:

Select the "Soft Light" layer.

Press L. (This is the hotkey for the lasso tool, which is going to be important for this next part)

You will notice that the lasso tool is now highlighted (tool bar is on the left side of the screen). Hover your mouse over this and hold down the mouse button while hovering over it: This will bring up a small menu allowing you to chose between the Lasso, Polygon Lasso, and Magnetic Lasso tools. Unless you have very steady hands, you'll probably want to use the Polygon Lasso tool.

With the Polygon Lasso tool selected, mask out the parts of the image you'll want to edit (I.E. change colors). You will mask out the areas by clicking where you want to start a polygon, slowly moving around the image, clicking additional places where you want the outline to go. When you're finished you click back at the starting point.

Step 5:

Press "G". This will bring up the paint bucket tool (again, you can see this in the toolbar). Color the selected area white. Press CTRL+D to de-select your selected areas if you made a mistake or if you just want to remove your selection.

Repeat steps 4 and 5 until you have "masked" off everything you want to color.

Step 6:

Select the "Soft Light" layer that we just finished editing. Press CTRL+A (select-all), CTRL+C (copy) CTRL+V (paste). This will create a new layer.

In the Layers panel (lower right hand corner) select this new layer (it should be called "Soft Light Copy". Double click the name and rename it to "Multi White". Double click the thumbnail next to the name, and a window should pop up. There should be a tab that says "Blending Options", select that. Change the blend mode from "soft white" to "multiply".

OK! Let's recap. You should have a background (the source image), and then two "masking" layers on top of that. So far so good?

Alright, it get's easier from here.

Step 7:

create another new layer. Just a regular, defaut layer, no special changes needed (but again, I recommend you name your layer). Select your paint bucket tool and fill the entire layer with the color of your choice.

Step 8:

In the Layers panel (lower right-hand corner) Hover your mouse between the new layer and the "muti white" layer while holding the ALT key. This will make your cursor change from a mouse to two overlapping circles: when it looks like this click the left mouse button. This should apply the new color to the image.

I think you folks can figure out the rest.

Cake Bandits Video post

View PostCake Bandit, on 08 December 2011 - 02:18 AM, said:

Well, on my connection it took about fifteen hours to upload, and then thanks to Sony the audio got muted because I had music running in the background.

I'm re-exporting it with the music track removed, so it'll be updated sometime in the next 48 hours to actually include some deranged rambling.

The first 16 minutes are actually just me selecting the mech, I left it in because you should be prepared to take some time to do this part. You only have to do it once. Then they gutted the audio so that doesn't matter anymore. I'll record it when I do my next recolor so you guys can check that out as well. Here's a link. Set it to full screen and 720p and I hope you can figure out what I did without my rambling. Sony is really ******* awful about their ****.

Another upload of the non-sony-infringing short-version is in progress.

Alright, shortened go with accompanying ramblings has been uploaded and is available here. I'll field questions I guess.

OH WAIT, I CAN EMBED THINGS!

edit: ninja'd by Dhim while creating my wall of text Posted Image

@Hayden, do you think you could add this info to you first post for the new guys?

#2100 IxxxI

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 10:01 AM

View PostAdridos, on 23 May 2012 - 09:33 AM, said:

Ooh... I can't wait to see Ironhawks or Hayden's take on Death Commandos and some other Capellan (Preston's Lancers) units Cataphract. :lol:

As well as I do. Folks, please let Ironhawk take on Death Commandos Cataphract, it would be incredible, I suppose))

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users