Mechpit: An enclosed Mechwarrior Online simulator pod

270 replies to this topic

#81 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 22 August 2012 - 06:52 PM

Door is made and hinged, track laid down to keep the seat moving in the right direction, hull plates are installed and all seams between plates are filled and sanded. I hope to have an interior framework for the monitor, controls and instrument panels finished tomorrow. And of course more pictures.

(Did I mention that the freak'in case on this new PC is too freak'in BIG?! Dang it..I really like that case too).

#82 Urban UK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 August 2012 - 03:42 AM

Shame, it's a nice case, nice cable management aswell

No way you can shoehorn it in?

#83 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 August 2012 - 06:49 AM

No, unfortunately. The case is just too large to be able to remove it if repairs/changes were needed.

I will make an acrylic case for it (cube) instead. I worked out the motherboard tray last night, just need to get some other things together and cut it all out on the CNC. I have some great cast acrylic to work with and acrylic glue/tools, etc.

David

#84 Urban UK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm going to build my case into my pit (silverstone fto2) with a door that opens so I can get to it, the door will have a cut out corresponding with the side window of the case so I can still see the internals

It's also going to be in its own compartment, otherwise I really would fry from the heat of 2 gtx580's
I intend to boost the cooling aswell, the compartment will have intakes at bottom and fans exhausting at top, will use negative pressure probably

I like your idea of a custom case though

#85 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:23 AM

This is to be something very similar but I wanted the setup to remind the viewer of a "fusion core" which could be removed from the mech to be replaced. I already have the doorway (see front of mech, lower opening) which will have a slideout drawer for the core. I have not decided yet on having the door open and then slide out the core or having the door directly attached to the drawer. Either is a simple job, just deciding on which would, to me, look cooler.

Edited by Propnut, 23 August 2012 - 07:23 AM.

#86 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

NEW PHOTO UPDATE:

The shell is sealed and painted. Detail work will come later, I am still deciding on how I want to do panel lines, and other external features. I might have an electric motor to hide (for the door) and whatnot so that will take some more thought.

The framework for the monitor is in place, the center console has also been installed and the two switch and control panels are sitting in there until I figure out exactly where the components will be placed. Everything is removable using #10 hex head bolts into blind nuts. If I decide to go with a larger monitor (leaning that way) then I just have to remove the upper assembly (4 bolts) and make a new one.

The bottom or base will get a coat of black later to make it appear that the mech is above the ground, and of course if my motion platform plans come through it will actually be above ground.

This thing has room for many, many, many switch panels. I am hoping that MWO will have support, eventually, for aux monitors (maps, etc) so I have room for two 9" LCDs to be installed on both sides. I am also planning on picking up to Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs to place in front of them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#87 Urban UK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 23 August 2012 - 05:45 PM

Wow, coming on fast

#88 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 23 August 2012 - 07:47 PM

Man that is sexy. I like that center pedestal, very nice.

#89 CyBerkut

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • LocationSomewhere north of St. Petersburg

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:46 PM

It's coming together VERY nicely!

#90 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 August 2012 - 04:49 PM

The interior is painted black now, I am fitting the HOTAS into the side panels and planning the switch panels. I am also laying out the environmental controls (dual window fans on top with a custom housing and dual window fans in the front with custom housing and filters), and interior lighting. I am thinking of both blue lighting and regular lighting, one for gaming the other for tinkering in the pit.

#91 Foust

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationKentucky

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:04 PM

Tell me about that back hatch. How are you planning on having it raise and lower? Will you have it closed when not in use? Will the seat slide back when you open it?

Will you put a ejection handle in? That functions?

I will be putting in regular lighting in along with either back lit panels or "spot lights" for the panels.

I imagine that the glow of a 24" screen in that small of a space will provide quite a bit of light. I have a concern that it might over power the back lit panel illumination, leading me to wonder if the effort required to make that happen will be all for not.

#92 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

I am going to use a steel cable connected to a car wiper motor. The wiper motor can be operated in either direction. There will be a switch outside the pit to lower the door and another inside to raise or lower the door again. A small pulley will allow my to route the cable along the top of the pit for cable clearance.

I was thinking of an ejection handle that would pull a pin releasing the electric motor pulley. I still need to look into that thought.

As far as the seat goes, it will just be free rolling unless I am sitting inside, it will then have a position lock that I might make adjustable.

I used backlit panels in my old simpit and it did take a great deal of light to overcome the screen light. That is a very good consideration. I have still not decided on how my panels will be lighted.

#93 Steelahlive

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 06:10 PM

View PostPropnut, on 24 August 2012 - 05:48 PM, said:

I am going to use a steel cable connected to a car wiper motor. The wiper motor can be operated in either direction. There will be a switch outside the pit to lower the door and another inside to raise or lower the door again. A small pulley will allow my to route the cable along the top of the pit for cable clearance.

I was thinking of an ejection handle that would pull a pin releasing the electric motor pulley. I still need to look into that thought.

As far as the seat goes, it will just be free rolling unless I am sitting inside, it will then have a position lock that I might make adjustable.

I used backlit panels in my old simpit and it did take a great deal of light to overcome the screen light. That is a very good consideration. I have still not decided on how my panels will be lighted.

Hey Prop - looking great - Just posted my design check it out ==> Here and any input would be great - My design obviously is going to take a little from everything that's come before -

My idea for the way I'm going to open the box and enter exit was to have 2 levers on the ceiling that lock in place and have release levers that you reach up and grab then pull down to your body and slide over your shoulders to open - that's initial design obviously and likely to change as design gets closer to reality and I start construction in a few months.

#94 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 August 2012 - 10:27 AM

Yesterday I painted the interior black.

I spent most of today doing some CNC work for a customer so there has been little progress since yesterday.

I did, however, have time to mount the Hotas in the side panels and make a couple of memory foam pads to run the length of the panels behind the HOTAS (never forget comfort, lol). They are covered in faux leather fabric and look pretty good (my opinion).

Working on two 45 degree panels that will join the controller panels to the instrument panel, but that is only on CAD so far.

#95 Moodysea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • LocationWindsor UK

Posted 25 August 2012 - 12:37 PM

Are you putting a cup holder in?

#96 DoomEngine

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 123 posts
  • Locationsomewhere on Old Kentucky

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:29 PM

truly an unbelievable undertaking! and what results! cant wait to see some video of it in action! stellar! :)

#97 Urban UK

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 185 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:48 PM

Just wondering if the wheels on your chair are made of rubber? I put rubber pads under my seat equipped with bass shakers, it seems to make the shake feel more intense, also does not shake down your house and annoy the better half :(

Edited by Urban UK, 25 August 2012 - 02:54 PM.

#98 Crimson Chaos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Building one of these has always been a dream of mine, glad to see I'm not the only one.

Can you give any details on what CNC machine you are using? Or can you recommend one for the home hobbyist?

Thanks in advance.

#99 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:54 PM

Moodysea, thanks for reminding me!!!

DoomEngine (cool name), and thankyou sir.

Urban, the wheels are rubber but I am not sure how much that will help with the buttkicker (actually a professional transducer and aftermarket amp but it does the same thing) that I am using.

Crimson Chaos, I built my own CNC machine from MDF (same as the Mechpit) but in 3/4". I purchased the electronics as a set. You can see a build thread here:

http://www.cnczone.c...cess_story.html

But, if you want to buy this one when it is finished I would meet you half way for delivery (for a fee). Turn-key and play.

:(

#100 Turbo Corvair

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationLake Ariel, PA

Posted 25 August 2012 - 04:40 PM

Lot's of people have said they are jealous of my pod, I'm jealous of your beautiful free standing build! I can't wait to see how it comes out.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users