#200 RAM

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Resolute
  • The Resolute
  • 2,018 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 22 August 2012 - 03:23 PM

As mentioned in your other thread, it would have been more relevant if you had actual MPBT experience. MPBT did this 20 years ago, and did it far better.

RAM
ELH

#201 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

Care to explain how MPBT did it better in the specific cases mentioned here?

#202 Kyrie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 05:23 PM

PMJI, I believe he is referring to the threads that summarized first how EGA MPBT worked, and the very ambitious plan for 3025. I've linked these previously.

In a nutshell: Global unified IS Map. Unlimited Warfare. Discrete and complete implementation of House Factions per canon. Lance Leaders, Unit COs, (for the sake of clarity, I'll give Davion examples), PDZ COs, March COs, HLs. Each level starting at the unit level also had an XO position (EGA version). Creation of merc units upon reaching a minimum rank. Allowing an individual merc unit to grow to be stronger on balance than 2-3 full House units.

Strategic interplanetary deployment of lances; lances being the discrete unit that allowed attacks and defenses to take place. No lance, no joy. What is particularly special and unique in the proposed MPBT: 3025 version is the hex planet combat system; an improvement over the way EGA did it which was an abstraction of planetary capture points achieved by multiplying a "mission value" against a force balance value to obtain actual gain in the planet ownership pie-chart.

Also I found very interesting the idea of a dynamically growing or shrinking TO&E for Houses based on the actual presence of players in the particular units of a House.

A sensible command and control system proposed in 3025 that dealt with some of the major problems of high command micromanagement issues of the EGA version.

Given the strong resistance I've seen expressed against ideas like this system I proposed a much watered down version prior to actually locating the original 3025 thread.

There is really no comparison to what is being proposed here. As suggested in my other thread on this topic, EGA and 3025 were House-centric implementations of BT to allow for total war.

Edited by Kyrie, 23 August 2012 - 03:08 AM.

#203 deathTouch

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 02:05 AM

As the former commander of MLP in WoT, I absolutely agree on everything that pringles has written in this thread.

For those of you who are unaware of what MLP was in WoT, it was one of the most successful clans in WoT clan wars (arguably the most successful during the first 6-12 months), acquiring an enormous amount of territory for the relatively few active players that we had at the time (75).

The grind that was associated with the need to have seasoned members online EVERY SINGLE NIGHT for 3-4 battles/night was absolutely horrendous. Rather than play the game on our schedule, the game dictated what we did every single evening of our lives during that period of time. If you missed an evening it could mean the loss of a match and the subsequent headache that resulted when enemy clans "death blossomed" your territory, so everyone kept coming back night after night even though we were sick and tired of playing the same map every single evening. This was especially true for the "battle commanders" of the clan, which were pretty much tied to their duties 7 days a week. One of our battle sub-commanders even logged on immediately after his wedding to help lead a battle because he felt he jeapordized the clan if he was absent, considering the battle commander for that division was taking a leave of absence that day. This unrelenting stress resulted in the eventual burnout of many of the top players in not only our clan, but other top clans in the game.

When the new rules were instituted that pringles' mentioned in his post, the added chore of defending multiple landing zone-bordering territories coupled with the fact that clans could no longer devote chips to actually expand their land (and thus could never really achieve any sort of "ultimate conquest" of the map) resulted in mass burnout of MLP and MLP leadership, eventually fracturing the clan and resulting in my own permanent departure of the game.

I fully endorse the suggestions made in pringles' post to help curb the problems associated with the WoT map model.

P.S. Is SGLE/NDP coming over to MWO?

Edited by deathTouch, 24 August 2012 - 02:09 AM.

#204 Helter

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 05:36 PM

View PostdeathTouch, on 24 August 2012 - 02:05 AM, said:

P.S. Is SGLE/NDP coming over to MWO?

A bunch of the old guard have been playing in the beta. You should pop by KoL's Teamspeak server and say hi.

#205 deathTouch

• Pip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 10:26 PM

View PostHelter, on 24 August 2012 - 05:36 PM, said:

A bunch of the old guard have been playing in the beta. You should pop by KoL's Teamspeak server and say hi.

Gotcha, will do.

#206 Hoshi Toranaga

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 11 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

I support this product. Since goons were/are the greatest abusers of game mechanics in Eve (and I mean that in a positive way, cause you showed CCP what is possible in many ways) he should know about what he is talking about and it makes absolute sense.

#207 Ken Fury

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 21 September 2012 - 08:24 AM

/random bump

#208 King Bong

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 09:43 PM

Many of the items discussed in this op are what is going to make MWO a 6-10 year game, rather than a 6-10 month game like so many other high profiled MMORPG's. As a current player of EvE, WOT, and MWO I 100% agree with what this man is saying.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users