130 replies to this topic

#1 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:23 PM

now i'm not exactly sure if we got more new people recently or what, but i have noticed a lot of what i like to call "drunk" or "absent minded" Atlas drivers out there.

now this thread is not meant to poke fun at them, i just have some helpful advice Posted Image

1. You are the biggest Mech on the field, true. a: you are not god. b: you are not indestructible. if you run headlong into the fray with no backup, you will die.

2. Think before you move. in 99% of cases if you run into a bad situation you will not have the speed to get away from it. in the event this is unavoidable and you are thoroughly screwed, take someone down along with you before you get blown to scrap.

3. Stop standing still like a big target. you have legs, use them. even though you are slow, keeping a little movement is better then none.

4. (IMPORTANT) Spread your damage out on your armor. meaning don't stay squared up on an enemy for the duration of your brawl. if you fire your weapons and are waiting that couple seconds for the cooldown or need to bleed off some excess heat, twist left or right as the enemy is returning fire. taking a shot in the arms or side is preferable to the center torso. you can have an arm destroyed and still be mostly combat effective. this works especially well against beam weapons, you see them shoot, turn your side into it.

side note: i haven't noticed a lot of use for Large Lasers on the Atlas. i am against making one an LRM boat, but to each his own.

current favored build as of 6/23/2013 AS7-D

Edited by Leded, 23 June 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#2 Shiney

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 683 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yes, thats all true and I think battle sorts the noobs out soon enough.

#3 Tertiusofthrees

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:46 PM

I agree with this (even though I am an Atlas pilot for now). See, I never just rush head long into combat with out knowing my support is there, I know I'm not industructible. I do, however, know I can soak up a lot of punishment that would reduce my teammates to slag if half of it hit them (for the most part anyway). I think I've come out of a fire fight with no armor, one arm, a busted leg and everything else in the red. That damage would've ended a couple heavies.

I also have an absurd amount of speed for an assault mech (right around 70kph), so if I start getting my *** shot off, I'm getting out of there. That way, when the other team is distracted by the rest of my team i can come back and merc one or two from behind.

Finally, if I find myself in too deep, I'm usually running a bunch of close range weapons (LB 10-X, flamers, medium lasers, etc.) so that if my mech goes critical, I'm atleast going to damage and/or kill some or most of the enemy, leaving my support and longer ranged compatriots to clean up the other team.

#4 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:58 PM

View PostShiney, on 27 August 2012 - 10:46 PM, said:

Yes, thats all true and I think battle sorts the noobs out soon enough.

well that's all well and good for me if their on the other team :), but i would like it if the guys on my team would play smarter. i ran a Jenner for a while and even though most matches i did well. running and jumping to and fro, annoying the **** out of people, hitting them in the back and making them chase me while my teammates got some shots in... we still often lost those matches due to carelessness on the part of our assaults :)

note: why is the C word for the slang term for poop censored?

Edited by Leded, 27 August 2012 - 11:00 PM.

#5 Wang the fat boy

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:03 PM

cannot agree more, even I am not an atlas pilot. Always alongside with the atlases, when they are taking fire. I will fire at their target try to destroy it. Or take out any lights runing around the big guy.

#6 Tertiusofthrees

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostLeded, on 27 August 2012 - 10:58 PM, said:

note: why is the C word for the slang term for poop censored?

Because it's a poopy word?

#7 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:14 PM

View PostWang the fat boy, on 27 August 2012 - 11:03 PM, said:

cannot agree more, even I am not an atlas pilot. Always alongside with the atlases, when they are taking fire. I will fire at their target try to destroy it. Or take out any lights runing around the big guy.

good :).... those Jenners annoy me. make them dead :)

#8 DrxAbstract

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Butcher
  • The Butcher
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

I eat your Atlaseseses, I eat them up!

#9 Greyson Carlyle

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 25 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:35 PM

oh...I just picked the atlas as my legendary mech...maybe I shouldnt have...lol

#10 nksharp

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:48 PM

I predict fewer atlas pilots after tomorrows patch :)

#11 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:33 AM

oh man, what are they changing now?

#12 Shortbus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:38 AM

View Postnksharp, on 27 August 2012 - 11:48 PM, said:

I predict fewer atlas pilots after tomorrows patch :)

what, with all those founder atlases out there. +25% c-bills. you'll be seeing a lot of founder mechs till peeps get a good steak.

#13 Agent Pires

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 94 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:46 AM

I think some people should have a certain skill level before they are allowed to pilot heavier chassis.

#14 BlackAbbot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • LocationSecret UrbanMech Production Facility

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:51 AM

Dear new Atlas pilots,

Please continue to fit XL Engines. Preferably with CASE. Few things bring me more pleasure than watching you drop the minute your side torso goes bye-bye and as long as people keep running Atlai with XLs, people will keep trying to shoot my side torso out first when I'm in my Atlas, giving me precious extra moments to finish coring them.

#15 Shortbus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 01:51 AM

View PostAgent Pires, on 28 August 2012 - 01:46 AM, said:

I think some people should have a certain skill level before they are allowed to pilot heavier chassis.

And i think some people should have to take an iq test before allowing them to post online. Don't think either of us are gonna get our wish.

#16 H Minus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:37 AM

Best rule ever for new atlas pilots.

Alpha strike all the Jenners!

that way we can stand still behind you when you over heat, carving "kick me!" signs into your back. <grin>

#17 Penance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:39 AM

CHHHHARRRRRRGEEEE....sorry, i mean SPPPPOOOONNN

#18 Rixx

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:47 AM

Reply to non-atlas pilots....

Support your Atlases! Can't count the number of times I've had a full lance of mediums and heavies following me into battle only to have them scatter at the first sign of opposition. Instead of 2 of you chasing after that 1 light mech, and the other 2 falling back for cover, how bout you help me destroy the two assault mechs that came around the corner.

I die alone a lot, but it's not because I ran headlong into the fray without backup....it's because my backup ran off like cockroaches when someone turns on the light.

I can keep their attention, and suck up a few hits, but I need your weapons to finish them off while I'm tanking.

#19 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 28 August 2012 - 08:52 AM

Speaking of Noob Atlas pilots...

Maybe this is just a pet peeve for me, but please do not run off and base cap (especially if you are the only assault in the match). The rest of your team needs your fire support (especially to help deal with the enemy assault(s) ). They will just kill us and come get you before you can cap. Been there, seen it on multiple occasions.

Be a team player, just saying.

#20 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 07 October 2012 - 08:05 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 28 August 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

Speaking of Noob Atlas pilots...

Maybe this is just a pet peeve for me, but please do not run off and base cap (especially if you are the only assault in the match). The rest of your team needs your fire support (especially to help deal with the enemy assault(s) ). They will just kill us and come get you before you can cap. Been there, seen it on multiple occasions.

Be a team player, just saying.

oh crap i just came back now and read that
ummm i was guilty of that before... but i think it was justified. i was 2 legs a Center Torso and a Head at the time :(

Edited by Leded, 07 October 2012 - 08:05 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users