Dear, New Atlas Pilots

130 replies to this topic

#41 AntiSqueaker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 713 posts

Posted 08 October 2012 - 10:37 PM

Speaking as a Medium Pilot, let me say that good Atlas pilots are the foundation on which a team is built.

They are the anchor which you can tie the rest of your team around. An Atlas with 2 mediums backing him up, with LRM fire support in the back, and a good spotter is practically unstoppable. Atlas draws the fire and starts laying down the pain, while the mediums support him or flank his target, whichever is the smart idea at the time. Then the rain starts coming in from the LRM boat, and you have a dead enemy.

Atlas's are perfect at their job, being big and scary, and packing lots of dakka. Support them, let them draw fire, and you will win much more often than you lose. Even just saying "right behind you ________" in chat lets the Atlas know that they have a friendly to watch their back.

#42 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:09 AM

View PostAntiSqueaker, on 08 October 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

Speaking as a Medium Pilot, let me say that good Atlas pilots are the foundation on which a team is built.

They are the anchor which you can tie the rest of your team around. An Atlas with 2 mediums backing him up, with LRM fire support in the back, and a good spotter is practically unstoppable. Atlas draws the fire and starts laying down the pain, while the mediums support him or flank his target, whichever is the smart idea at the time. Then the rain starts coming in from the LRM boat, and you have a dead enemy.

Atlas's are perfect at their job, being big and scary, and packing lots of dakka. Support them, let them draw fire, and you will win much more often than you lose. Even just saying "right behind you ________" in chat lets the Atlas know that they have a friendly to watch their back.

yeah nothing annoys me more than an Atlas that shys away from a fight when he has like 4 guys with him... if you have that many teammates behind its your job to "lead the charge" as it were

#43 JT Black

Banned - Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 230 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationUK

Posted 09 October 2012 - 12:24 AM

I agree, find support and focus fire. Find those week spots and Alpha your selected target.

I am a brawler therefore i stay near the front line if theres one.

Keep moving even if slowly.

Zoom in, keep your back safe if you can.

#44 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

suppose that needed an update. Large Lasers aren't as super gimped as they were when i wrote that

#45 AllOuttaBubbleGum

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:42 PM

View PostLeded, on 09 October 2012 - 12:09 AM, said:

yeah nothing annoys me more than an Atlas that shys away from a fight when he has like 4 guys with him... if you have that many teammates behind its your job to "lead the charge" as it were

I'm a brawler so I tend be up front but I've had MANY situations where my ENTIRE team leaves me alone at the front to chase some mongrel jenner when only 1 or 2 need to chase. It's very frustrating and I understand why some atlas pilots tend to take on more of a "support" role.

#46 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 15 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

View PostWidow Maker, on 15 December 2012 - 04:42 PM, said:

I'm a brawler so I tend be up front but I've had MANY situations where my ENTIRE team leaves me alone at the front to chase some mongrel jenner when only 1 or 2 need to chase. It's very frustrating and I understand why some atlas pilots tend to take on more of a "support" role.

indeed... no idea how much it erks me when you see a single contact on the map. it happens to be a light and you see every single friendly immediately turn and start chasing it. best you can really do is just drive a light mech off of yah. you'd be surprised how convincing an AC20 can be if you nail a scout center mass with it. had a Raven run up on me once and i railed it one time really bad... he didn't come near me again lol

#47 parman01

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:10 AM

I wouldn't blame Atlases that prefer to stay in the back. While you have the most armor you usually also have the most firepower.
Sometimes I tend to stay in back lines hammering enemies at medium range while my team is brawling thus taking damage for me. Leading charge in situations where you are likely to die first (Atlas is No.1 target, right) will leave your team without mighty addition in firepower.

#48 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

well both ways can work. holding back a little and then mopping up anything left after an initial attack. a fresh Atlas can steam roll a pack of damaged mechs. while "leading the charge" only tends to work if you have the team as back up. what i usually do in that situation is charge and not stop. i attack and run past. making alot of them turn to attack me, leaving them open to the second line coming in. an Atlas or 2 makes for one hell of a line crasher

#49 themoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 589 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

LRM Atlases are such jokes.

"Hur hur, I'm going to waste an assault slot on something a Catapult can do AND be free XP for enemy lights"

#50 Vodrin Thales

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 869 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:51 PM

View Postthemoob, on 16 December 2012 - 01:55 PM, said:

LRM Atlases are such jokes.

"Hur hur, I'm going to waste an assault slot on something a Catapult can do AND be free XP for enemy lights"

The main problem with LRM Atlas designs right now is that they lack the speed to appropriately control the range to target necessary to be truly effective in the current post ECM game. A properly equipped Catapult or even Hunchback is just better at doing the same thing, while the Atlas can brawl far better than the other mechs. That just makes short/medium range specialization make a lot more sense for the Atlas.

#51 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 10 March 2013 - 05:02 PM

this is a really old post, but after some of the matches i saw today it's in need of a bump.
Atlas walking into things and getting hung up on obstacles, walking backwards into buildings, standing still trying to shoot a light that is dancing circles around him and getting just embarrassingly picked apart one paper cut at a time... and of course the abominable LRM boat Atlas.
i watched a few painful matches after getting knocked out early game in my 4SP... kinda felt like yelling at the screen watching some of these guys ;)

#52 Jam the Bam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 02:25 AM

I though I'd join you in the bump after a few matches I had recently where the Atlases on my team just charged straight into the enemy team, and got completely annihilated.

I know some people would say support them but not one single person on the team is stupid enough to just charge over the caustic crater and out the other side through a bottleneck when you know exactly where the other team is. He lasted 4 seconds after contact. And this has happened several times.

Though none of them lost us the game, mainly due to the atlas on the other team doing something equally moronic.

There is nothing more satisfying than taking an atlas apart in a hunchback (also 4SP :) )because he cant figure out how to pilot ROUND the rock.....

Maybe newer players are just seeing the biggest mech in the line-up and thinking they will be indestructible.

#53 Boulangerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 477 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:44 AM

View PostJammerben87, on 11 March 2013 - 02:25 AM, said:

I though I'd join you in the bump after a few matches I had recently where the Atlases on my team just charged straight into the enemy team, and got completely annihilated.

I know some people would say support them but not one single person on the team is stupid enough to just charge over the caustic crater and out the other side through a bottleneck when you know exactly where the other team is. He lasted 4 seconds after contact. And this has happened several times.

Though none of them lost us the game, mainly due to the atlas on the other team doing something equally moronic.

There is nothing more satisfying than taking an atlas apart in a hunchback (also 4SP :) )because he cant figure out how to pilot ROUND the rock.....

Maybe newer players are just seeing the biggest mech in the line-up and thinking they will be indestructible.

I think it's this. I have killed a couple of Atlas pilots recently who didn't think turning around to engage the Raven behind them was worth effort. This was leveling up my 2X as well, so I was running it with some pretty serious firepower (2ML, 2MPL, SRM6). Yes I was slow, but I do think newer players could learn a lot about positioning their Assault mech.

Put your back to a wall if you are outnumbered, then focus targets. If you have teammates nearby, head towards them at the first sign of light mechs in the area (especially if you are new or carrying a longer ranged build).

#54 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:58 PM

View PostLeded, on 28 August 2012 - 01:33 AM, said:

oh man, what are they changing now?

I think they're giving the MG's depleted uranium penetrators.

#55 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:02 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 08 October 2012 - 03:04 AM, said:

One atlas.
Fatlas.

Jenner.
Bruce of jennys.

Is calling an Atlas "Dumpster Butt" in chat insensitive?

#56 Phoenix Gray

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 615 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:08 PM

View PostVassago Rain, on 08 October 2012 - 05:17 AM, said:

Steiner is so masculine, it counts 8 as 12.

I try that too, but there aren't many singles bars where it flies anymore.

I'm curious. How does a 50-60 kph Atlas leave its group?

#57 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 11 March 2013 - 08:32 PM

View PostPhoenix Gray, on 11 March 2013 - 04:08 PM, said:

I'm curious. How does a 50-60 kph Atlas leave its group?

They do not, their group leaves them, I am trying to save up for an atlas, tried one the other week as a trial mech, and I look forward to piloting one again - used to Centurions and Commandos so I know very well how not-invincible they are - any advice on how to keep your pug team near you so you live better?

My match put me in forrest colonly, got part way across (into that little town) and it was like watching the assault training video, Catapult K2 across the town, and my teammates no-where nearby.
Did well I think, took out 2 catapults in total then got cored by an Awesome pilot as I was capping their base
-By the time I realised my team was gone and dead, I was just a hill away from their base (was NOT going to turn my back on that catapult, and they disapeared about when he appeared - dual ppc to the back was not how I wanted to start my Atlas career)

#58 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 11 March 2013 - 10:47 PM

well mr. Shar Wolf personally i would recommend the AS7-D or AS7-D-DC. AS7-D if only for its staying power. its weapon hardpoints are spread across it pretty good. hardpoints on its arms, both side torso and center torso. i have had a match or 2 where i was just two legs a center T and a head and i was still fighting (not well, but i was still able to shoot at least). i like it for the same reason i prefer the Hunchback HBK-4SP.

i tend to have the most fun with my AS7-D-DC tho. currently running it with
AC20, x2 Large Laser and x3 SRM6's 2 AC20 ammo, and 3 SRM6 ammo
17 Double Heat Sinks, STD 300 Engine, Guardian ECM
excellent close range stopping power nice heat efficiency and the Large Lasers give you a little reach till you get there and can still be used to burn holes in people even up close.

i had to shave a 1/4 ton of armor off each leg to fit all that, but i'll be honest... i can count on one hand the number of times i've ever had a leg blown off on my Atlas. i mean dam. they have more armor than your side torso's do, so most people trying to kill you see legging an atlas to be a waste of time. making a easy to hit target only slightly easier to hit and all the while they are shooting your feet, they are getting AC20'ed in the face.

#59 Rocdocta

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 11:59 PM

As a Jenner pilot trying Atlas-es, it takes alot to get used to going 1/3 my usual speed. for the first 20 games i would isolate myself as i forgot that i didnt have the speed to get away or heck even cross the map under 15 minutes. But i will say i was tempted to LRM it up in the Atlas. But only as i dont know how to use SRMS. lasers I am good with. but how do you target with SRMs?

#60 Irvine

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 289 posts

Posted 12 March 2013 - 12:14 AM

View PostLeded, on 11 March 2013 - 10:47 PM, said:

well mr. Shar Wolf personally i would recommend the AS7-D or AS7-D-DC. AS7-D if only for its staying power. its weapon hardpoints are spread across it pretty good. hardpoints on its arms, both side torso and center torso. i have had a match or 2 where i was just two legs a center T and a head and i was still fighting (not well, but i was still able to shoot at least). i like it for the same reason i prefer the Hunchback HBK-4SP.

i tend to have the most fun with my AS7-D-DC tho. currently running it with
AC20, x2 Large Laser and x3 SRM6's 2 AC20 ammo, and 3 SRM6 ammo
17 Double Heat Sinks, STD 300 Engine, Guardian ECM
excellent close range stopping power nice heat efficiency and the Large Lasers give you a little reach till you get there and can still be used to burn holes in people even up close.

i had to shave a 1/4 ton of armor off each leg to fit all that, but i'll be honest... i can count on one hand the number of times i've ever had a leg blown off on my Atlas. i mean dam. they have more armor than your side torso's do, so most people trying to kill you see legging an atlas to be a waste of time. making a easy to hit target only slightly easier to hit and all the while they are shooting your feet, they are getting AC20'ed in the face.

Ive legged an Atlas once, and it was already unarmored when i got there. My AWS giggled when i could run circles around a DDC

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users