#81 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 01 July 2013 - 08:43 AM

View PostModo44, on 30 June 2013 - 05:03 AM, said:

Only 4 large lasers is a bit optimistic, but 4xLLAS is perfectly viable on the RS with additional weapons. You simply put the lasers into chain-fire mode when too hot for a full salvo.

Skipping the single missile slot can make sense on the Atlas K. It allows you to take bigger energy weapons, or just do AC20+3xLLAS with a big engine and very good heat.

yeah i think i can live with someone using that. for some reason i feel that an Atlas is not Atlas without that AC/20. to a lesser extent a Gauss Rifle :D

#82 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:12 PM

ok i saw it again today... AS7-D with 2 ER Large Lasers and an AC20..... apparently he liked it cause it never overheated... but really "STOP IT!!!" you're not helping your team much like that. a light or medium mech can in alot of cases outgun you :P

#83 Brenden

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,603 posts
  • LocationIS News Flash Breaking [:::]___[:::] News: at morning /(__)\ a patrol unit has (:)=\_ ¤_/=(:) seen the never /)(\ before witnessed [] . . [] strange designed /¥\ . /¥\ 'Mech

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:26 PM

View PostLeded, on 27 August 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

now i'm not exactly sure if we got more new people recently or what, but i have noticed a lot of what i like to call "drunk" or "absent minded" Atlas drivers out there.

now this thread is not meant to poke fun at them, i just have some helpful advice Posted Image

1. You are the biggest Mech on the field, true. a: you are not god. b: you are not indestructible. if you run headlong into the fray with no backup, you will die.

2. Think before you move. in 99% of cases if you run into a bad situation you will not have the speed to get away from it. in the event this is unavoidable and you are thoroughly screwed, take someone down along with you before you get blown to scrap.

3. Stop standing still like a big target. you have legs, use them. even though you are slow, keeping a little movement is better then none.

4. (IMPORTANT) Spread your damage out on your armor. meaning don't stay squared up on an enemy for the duration of your brawl. if you fire your weapons and are waiting that couple seconds for the cooldown or need to bleed off some excess heat, twist left or right as the enemy is returning fire. taking a shot in the arms or side is preferable to the center torso. you can have an arm destroyed and still be mostly combat effective. this works especially well against beam weapons, you see them shoot, turn your side into it.

side note: i haven't noticed a lot of use for Large Lasers on the Atlas. i am against making one an LRM boat, but to each his own.

current favored build as of 6/23/2013 AS7-D

And that's all there is, there isn't anymore.

#84 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:38 PM

jeez was my original post really "that good" on it's own? lol

#85 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:22 AM

View PostLeded, on 22 September 2013 - 07:38 PM, said:

jeez was my original post really "that good" on it's own? lol

Apparently :)

Basics are basics for a reason - and the true basics do not change much from patch to patch :)

#86 DyDrimer

• PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationRight here.

Posted 23 September 2013 - 11:46 AM

I ran with a awesome atlas pilot yesterday, was a nice change to actually back up a assault mech that knew what he was doing a d it showed at the end with him being over 100 rating. He picked targets and we all hit them, he moved to spots were we could all could lay down fire not just him. He almost never backed up. Sadly it's one of the only good experiences I have had with atlas pilots lately.

#87 SethAbercromby

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,308 posts
  • LocationNRW, Germany

Posted 24 September 2013 - 01:24 AM

I had some bad experiences with teammates too though. I had that one time our enemies were firing on number of enemy 'Mechs during Conquest. I, running a Stalker which can't rival an Atlas but still has enough armor to do the job pretty well, moved into the fray for some brawling action and soaking up damage for the rest. We destroyed 2 oncoming 'Mechs quick and mercilessly and since we were headed straight for a capture point, I moved in to keep the enemies engaged so the rest could tear them apart however they fancy while securing the flank. However, I suddenly found myself alone because my teammates apparently had decided that it would be of crucial importance to follow some Jenner our other teammates could have dealt with. I died an unnessecary death when the enemy took advantage of this and used the open flank to get a few shots at my rear. I could have sat in an Atlas and it wouldn't have much of a difference. It is crucial for Assault pilots to know when and when not to engage (of which I am no master yet) but it is just as important for the team to support their decisions. Trust wins wars and keeps your powerhouses alive.

#88 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:33 AM

For reasons like that I usually never drop in an assault when PUGing. I prefer to stay mobile when the "swarm" decides to get themselves distracted.

But on the odd occasion that I do PUG in an assault I directly ask for 1 or 2 back-up in chat and get it maybe 30% of the time which is better than nothing. I good set of LRMs is really useful on the Atlas though for those times when it is taking you forever to get to the party.

#89 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 24 September 2013 - 03:52 AM

This topic is fairly good there are a few small things to take into account. There has been a lot more new players. If the Atlas is the Champion variant chances are there is a new player piloting it. It is one of the trial this week.

#90 Training Instructor

• 1,218 posts
  • LocationMoscow

Posted 24 September 2013 - 04:07 AM

New Atlas pilots,

If teammates are consistently blocking your line of fire, shoot them with lasers, not ballistics or SRMs. No sense in wasting ammo.

Killing ignorant teammates is an important part of the responsibilities of any dedicated Atlas pilot.

#91 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:07 AM

As a highly experienced Atlas pilot, I have to say that the AS7-RS© is really not a good choice as a trial mech. The Atlas is a very unforgiving ride when it comes to positioning & timing mistakes because usually once engaged there's no possibility of disengaging.

That being said, I do wish that team mates would support Atlas drivers. I've lost count of the number of matches that begin with the entirety of my team vanishing in to the distance & leaving me high & dry lumbering after them at a more sedate 60 Kmh. Of course I tend to be a welcome arrival when I do eventually reach the main fight :P

So please, those of us who know what we're doing in our Atlases don't mind being the centre of attention for the enemy team, but a little support would go down very well please. The two things I see most often:

1. Enemy light appears. The ENTIRE ******* TEAM turns around to chase it, leaving one or two of us to face the approaching enemy main force. With predictable results. Lights and fast mediums are for chasing off enemy lights. Trying to do this in a Cataphract or Awesome is POINTLESS! STOP IT!!

2. Entering the caldera around Theta on Terra Therma. I'll quite happily go in first, but with the expectation that the rest of the team will follow. Lumbering in all-guns-blazing only to find that the rest of the team are gingerly approaching one by one, being shot to pieces then backing out again, leaving me inside at the tender mercy of the entire enemy force, is REALLY ANNOYING. AGAIN, STOP IT!!!

There, had to get that off my chest.

Edited by Sir Wulfrick, 24 September 2013 - 10:08 AM.

#92 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 September 2013 - 10:52 AM

Sir Wulfrick, given those "STOP IT!"s that i am also prone to doing ;), you ever see an oncoming force of say 3 or 4 mechs and half your team is with you so you decide to stand up fight? only to realize once your getting ripped up that your team just backed up and left yah there to fend for yourself? i hate those moments. usually when i complain in match about it i would get a response that it was "my" fault, but really if you outnumber the guys 2 to 1 my tactical voice in my head says "attack". ;)

(just a side note; just noticed i was over 9000 views on my Hunchback thread and over 8k on this one. damit i want more people to look at these so i'm not double face palming constantly while in spectator :P )

Edited by Leded, 24 September 2013 - 11:08 AM.

#93 JigglyMoobs

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,445 posts

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

View PostLeded, on 01 July 2013 - 08:43 AM, said:

yeah i think i can live with someone using that. for some reason i feel that an Atlas is not Atlas without that AC/20. to a lesser extent a Gauss Rifle ;)

IMO with the windup a Gauss rifle is now too annoying to use on the Atlas. It's too complicated to aim and the way you have to aim it now is incompatible with the amount of torso twist you need to do to protect it. I used to love having it with SRMs and LLs on my DDC but now that mech runs with 2 UAC5s, no SRMs, and ER LLs. ;)

Edited by JigglyMoobs, 24 September 2013 - 11:57 AM.

#94 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 24 September 2013 - 11:58 AM

View PostWizard Steve, on 07 October 2012 - 08:09 PM, said:

And it's Atlases, not Atlai just the same as it's buses and not bui. Don't be that ******.

****** is a person who is stupid, obtuse, or ineffective. It begins with r and ends with d.

I will forever call them Atlasesisies. Because I AM that guy and YOU can't take that away from me.

#95 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 24 September 2013 - 12:23 PM

View PostLeded, on 24 September 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

Sir Wulfrick, given those "STOP IT!"s that i am also prone to doing ;), you ever see an oncoming force of say 3 or 4 mechs and half your team is with you so you decide to stand up fight? only to realize once your getting ripped up that your team just backed up and left yah there to fend for yourself? i hate those moments. usually when i complain in match about it i would get a response that it was "my" fault, but really if you outnumber the guys 2 to 1 my tactical voice in my head says "attack". :P

(just a side note; just noticed i was over 9000 views on my Hunchback thread and over 8k on this one. damit i want more people to look at these so i'm not double face palming constantly while in spectator :D )

Oh yes. If I had £1 for every time this happened to me... I'd just about have my own tropical island by now, populated by {redacted} who'd be quite happy to {redacted} whenever I asked ;)

#96 tib3r

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 02 October 2013 - 07:16 PM

View PostLeded, on 27 August 2012 - 10:23 PM, said:

now i'm not exactly sure if we got more new people recently or what, but i have noticed a lot of what i like to call "drunk" or "absent minded" Atlas drivers out there.

now this thread is not meant to poke fun at them, i just have some helpful advice Posted Image

1. You are the biggest Mech on the field, true. a: you are not god. b: you are not indestructible. if you run headlong into the fray with no backup, you will die.

2. Think before you move. in 99% of cases if you run into a bad situation you will not have the speed to get away from it. in the event this is unavoidable and you are thoroughly screwed, take someone down along with you before you get blown to scrap.

3. Stop standing still like a big target. you have legs, use them. even though you are slow, keeping a little movement is better then none.

4. (IMPORTANT) Spread your damage out on your armor. meaning don't stay squared up on an enemy for the duration of your brawl. if you fire your weapons and are waiting that couple seconds for the cooldown or need to bleed off some excess heat, twist left or right as the enemy is returning fire. taking a shot in the arms or side is preferable to the center torso. you can have an arm destroyed and still be mostly combat effective. this works especially well against beam weapons, you see them shoot, turn your side into it.

side note: i haven't noticed a lot of use for Large Lasers on the Atlas. i am against making one an LRM boat, but to each his own.

current favored build as of 6/23/2013 AS7-D

So much feels, newbies in Atlases must be pretty shocked when my JM6-A decides to end their day.

#97 Shaftronics

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 02 October 2013 - 10:10 PM

Anyone else thinks an Atlas with 2 LRM-15's instead of being a brawler as a waste?

Considering its totally capable of leading a brawling lance close to the front line without any danger of LRMs softening them up, and its impressive 2 Ballistic slots and multiple missile slots for SRMs, I cry every single time I see a DDC in a non-direct fire support role or without ECM. (Or worse, BOTH.)

Seriously. Sure, at times, your LRM 15 Atlas gets a good game with 500~600 damage. But be thankful for your team that carried your arse through it, because when something gets close, you're screwed hard.

#98 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 02 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

View PostShaftronics, on 02 October 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

Anyone else thinks an Atlas with 2 LRM-15's instead of being a brawler as a waste?

Considering its totally capable of leading a brawling lance close to the front line without any danger of LRMs softening them up, and its impressive 2 Ballistic slots and multiple missile slots for SRMs, I cry every single time I see a DDC in a non-direct fire support role or without ECM. (Or worse, BOTH.)

Seriously. Sure, at times, your LRM 15 Atlas gets a good game with 500~600 damage. But be thankful for your team that carried your arse through it, because when something gets close, you're screwed hard.

2 Large Lasers, 2 Medium Lasers and an AC20 not enough "bite"? i have those in addition to my LRM15x2. for massive damage i have on many occasions keeping my target at around that 200m-250m range and ALL my weapons hammering one target (LRMs included) ends a guy pretty fast.

#99 Shaftronics

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:31 AM

View PostLeded, on 02 October 2013 - 11:04 PM, said:

2 Large Lasers, 2 Medium Lasers and an AC20 not enough "bite"? i have those in addition to my LRM15x2. for massive damage i have on many occasions keeping my target at around that 200m-250m range and ALL my weapons hammering one target (LRMs included) ends a guy pretty fast.

I've seen Atlases with 2 Medium Lasers, AC/20 and LRM 15's that stays at least on the third line of combat.

Its pretty sad.

Of course, if you've built something that varied and solid, I have nothing against you guys. Lol.

#100 Leded

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 281 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 03 October 2013 - 01:13 AM

well if i'm in a group, i "know my place" in the combat line :ph34r:. if i'm on my own i tend to be more methodical :ph34r:. i do like to be able to lend some long range fire support on the way into a fight i might be late for as well ;). every little bit helps.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users