Are most ready for 1 shot kills in this game

224 replies to this topic

#21 Petroff Northrup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:03 AM

i am ready for one-shot kills, the headcap is just part of the game and with 2 mechs well known for AC20 usage i expect the headcap to be a common occurance.

#22 karish

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 184 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

As a scout/recon pilot the only time I expect to get 1 shoted or head shot is if I am not moving and if that's the case I didn't find a good enough hiding spot to relay your location other then that there is always the golden bullet round that gets the lucky hit that's true in games and real life on the battle field

#23 Dimetime

• PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:08 AM

If it can be done, then people will adapt to it. Those that want to pilot light and medium Mechs that have issues with it will either learn to pilot them better, move up to something larger or leave. Same thing happened in MW4.

#24 Vexgrave Lars

Former Dictionary

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,119 posts
  • LocationParticle and Wave

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:11 AM

Frankly it would be impractical to presume that this scenario doesn't exist. I can remember taking the head of a fresh Atlas with one roll of the dice and a Clan ERPPC, and one very upset friend. It happens, sometimes your get the carrot and on occasion you get the Guass to the cockpit stick.

Can we recommend counselling or medication, sorry not a doctor. Bad things are going to happen occasionally, the question in the end is, can you say "Good Shot" and get over it with a desire to continue to play? I hope so.

See ya under the reticle.

#25 Aegis Kleais

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

View PostBduSlammer, on 20 March 2012 - 06:23 AM, said:

some of the battlemechs in this game will be taken down with one shot from either a ac-20 or gause round will people drop out if they want light mechs and that happens

Balancing has not been done, so we really don't know how well Mechs will react to weapons.

Either way, I'll have no sympathy for the light who feels his speed affords him the ability to take next to no armor. I would not be surprised to see an AC/20 knock down a light, but as far as instantly killing it, I don't think a light is going to be THAT fragile.

#26 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 20 March 2012 - 07:41 AM, said:

I didn't see any one-shot-kills in the gameplay trailers, and those involved Jenner Scout Mechs fighting against Atlas and Hunchback Mechs armed with AC/20s and LRM/20s.

I think the fervor is over the scene in the Interview video @ 2:12 where the Atlas gets head shotted. It does appear though as if the Atlas took some damage in that region on his run in but each can assess that themselves. Simply seems to be more hyperbolic paranoia really.

#27 DrHat

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDenmark, capital area

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostZypher, on 20 March 2012 - 08:03 AM, said:

Who knows what will happen once it is released, but those of you who think it's a lights pilots fault that they are hit by something like an AC20 are being ridiculous. A mech, even a light can only move so fast, a weapon will always travel much faster and a good gunner is going to be able to hit a light with almost any weapon.

I'm sorry I don't see the problem - If you think speed is the only thing a light pilot can do to avoid impacting with my PPC shot then I must question what you think "Role Warfare" entails..I can tell you it doesn't mean "fast vs slow" or even "zig zag vs no zig zag". I mean where is your terrain in this argument? Where are your lance mates? where are your long range sensors to detect me when I'm coming, where is your sense of tactical placement and movement? Where indeed is your sense of your role as a light mech?

It is indeed your own fault.

EDIT: Read what Karish said, he has the right idea.

Edited by DrHat, 20 March 2012 - 08:24 AM.
added stuff

#28 Aegis Kleais

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,003 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:20 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 20 March 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

I think the fervor is over the scene in the Interview video @ 2:12 where the Atlas gets head shotted. It does appear though as if the Atlas took some damage in that region on his run in but each can assess that themselves. Simply seems to be more hyperbolic paranoia really.

Yeah I've watched a lot of "breakdown" videos from people on this footage and a lot of people are taking the footage as if it were "Gold" and this was the way it will be in the game. They were discussing how over/underpowered weapons were but they didn't seem to pickup on the fact that it's just demo footage.

Heck, they were playing NHUA, energy weapons had ammo countdowns, weapons that used ammo had infinite ammo indicated; I sometimes think only this community is the one aware that it was pre-Alpha footage so it's not to be taken as the final version.

#29 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 20 March 2012 - 08:15 AM, said:

Fervor?! It was a gameplay trailer, edited from snippits of combat! Nobody knows how long that Atlas had been on the field. We saw a headshot, sure, but there's no reason to assume that was a one-shot deal. Every death is a one-shot-death if you only watch the last shot being fired!

Edited by Prosperity Park, 20 March 2012 - 08:23 AM.

#30 Garth Erlam

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,756 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • YouTube: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

I'm not sure you can one-shot kill here. We've had devastating alphas, but I've never seen a full-health, i dunno, Jenner say, taken down in a single salvo.

#31 Hangfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 204 posts
  • LocationToon of honest men and bonnie lassies

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:25 AM

Extract from ablog about an old 1980's game,

"
If there's a lesson in Elite for modern developers, it's this--don't baby the player. A babied player doesn't grow up. A "challenge" fails to interest him; it becomes just an annoyance to be bypassed by a cheat-code. Make the player work to overcome a challenge from the get-go, and it's an investment. Make the player realize, "Uh oh, this isn't going to be easy." Of course, and I know, there are players who will immediately stop playing at that point. I say, have the integrity to let them go. Catering to this type of person will only ruin your game, and, in all sincerity, reduce the value your original game had to offer.

As a professor teaching 18-19 year olds, it depresses me to see how many of them have been conditioned by the baby-stepping games of the last five years. I only wish that more of them could be challenged as thoroughly and rewarded as graciously as I was, weaned on games like Elite and Pool of Radiance. Those games taught the lesson--great rewards for great efforts. Modern games are all too willing to offer even greater rewards, but for little to no effort. The idea is that they'll offer so many rewards and incentives that the player will be reduced to a sort of sensation-seeking monkey, pushing a button that briefly flares some pleasure region of his spinal cortex. Bah. Leave such games to the plebs.

For the Elite, I have another."

http://www.armchaira...om/neo/node/750

#32 MaddMaxx

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,911 posts
  • LocationNova Scotia, Canada

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:26 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 20 March 2012 - 08:22 AM, said:

Fervor?! It was a gameplay trailer, edited from snippits of combat! Nobody knows how long that Atlas had been on the field. We saw a headshot, sure, but there's no reason to assume that was a one-shot deal. Every death is a one-shot-death if you only watch the last shot being fired!

Did you read my post? My point exactly. Fervor over what was a pre-beta in game for fun skirmish. Why create the OP at all given that?

Edited by MaddMaxx, 20 March 2012 - 08:27 AM.

#33 DrHat

Com Guard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 260 posts
  • LocationDenmark, capital area

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

View PostHangfire, on 20 March 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

Extract from ablog about an old 1980's game,

"
If there's a lesson in Elite for modern developers, it's this--don't baby the player. A babied player doesn't grow up. A "challenge" fails to interest him; it becomes just an annoyance to be bypassed by a cheat-code. Make the player work to overcome a challenge from the get-go, and it's an investment. Make the player realize, "Uh oh, this isn't going to be easy." Of course, and I know, there are players who will immediately stop playing at that point. I say, have the integrity to let them go. Catering to this type of person will only ruin your game, and, in all sincerity, reduce the value your original game had to offer.

As a professor teaching 18-19 year olds, it depresses me to see how many of them have been conditioned by the baby-stepping games of the last five years. I only wish that more of them could be challenged as thoroughly and rewarded as graciously as I was, weaned on games like Elite and Pool of Radiance. Those games taught the lesson--great rewards for great efforts. Modern games are all too willing to offer even greater rewards, but for little to no effort. The idea is that they'll offer so many rewards and incentives that the player will be reduced to a sort of sensation-seeking monkey, pushing a button that briefly flares some pleasure region of his spinal cortex. Bah. Leave such games to the plebs.

For the Elite, I have another."

http://www.armchaira...om/neo/node/750

I LOVE that quote. I'm going to use it in the game theory I'm working on.

#34 Risky

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts
  • LocationPanhandle, Florida.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

Sounds like someone plays too much CoD.

#35 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostMaddMaxx, on 20 March 2012 - 08:26 AM, said:

Did you read my post? My point exactly. Fervor over what was a pre-beta in game for fun skirmish. Why create the OP at all given that?

That wasn't directed at you... sorry. It was just general frustration with some people's unwillingness to disconnect the concept of Trailer with What To Expect In Typical Gameplay.

#36 StompyMcGee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Getting one-shotted is going to be frustrating, if it happens. But if it someone can one-shot me, then under the right cricumstances, I can one-shot them some other time, too.

#37 si1foo

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:17 AM

ok im 90% sure this should not happen i mean if you get hit in the chest you should be 1 shot but if you get hit in the arm or a leg that part should be destroyed but not the hole mech

#38 Stone Profit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 1,376 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:25 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 20 March 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

I'm not sure you can one-shot kill here. We've had devastating alphas, but I've never seen a full-health, i dunno, Jenner say, taken down in a single salvo.

In my opinion, if you tag my leg with an AC20 and Im in a 20 ton mech, my leg should stand a chance of being destroyed. not a one shot kill, to be certain, but probably lead to swift destruction with the follow up shot, unless you are VERY luch to escape in a gimped up mech

#39 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

View PostHangfire, on 20 March 2012 - 08:25 AM, said:

As a professor teaching 18-19 year olds, it depresses me to see how many of them have been conditioned by the baby-stepping games of the last five years.

I would love to have a professor like that at the university. :D
Enjoying challenge (I don't think I can imagine doing that docking procedure, though) and having CoD-ed classmates, it would be some kind of a "gamer heaven" for me. :D

As for the 1 shot kills. If you make a mistake and give your opponent a chance to land a perfect critical hit on you, why shouldn't you get punished? We will all do mistakes like that when the game launches, but it's only up to us to transform from those getting one-shotted, into those one-shotting even without an enemy mistake. :D

Edited by Adridos, 20 March 2012 - 09:32 AM.

#40 Mellowbloom

• Pip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 13 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

AS someone new to the series, 1-hit kills on what I understand to be the frailest category of 'Mechs really doesn't put me off in the slightest. A lot of new people like me will be used to FPS games, in many of which quick and instant deaths really aren't anything unusual.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users