Battletech TT - Possible Return?

95 replies to this topic

#61 Nekki Basara

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts
  • LocationDublin

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:07 AM

There's always MegaMek to try the game out. Not quite the same thing and you won't learn all the rules without reading up on it but it's a decent taster.

#62 Chas

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:13 PM

View PostXetherius, on 10 January 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I did look at the BT Starter box, one was on sale for about 40 bucks, I almost bought it then and there. (Might have to now...) Overall I think I'll probably go BTech after I get over my usual indecisiveness. Then again, I could just buy a chess set, paint them up, and use them for proxies in 40k.

If you're new to BattleTech, or just trying to get your feet wet again, the starter box is probably your best, most economical way to go.

It gives you the basic rules, mech sheets, a bunch of plastic mech minis, the quick-start mechs and rules so you can jump in without needing a day and a half to read up, a basic intro to the universe, painting guide, and maps.

Starting with the 25th anniversary edition, all the maps are the folding cardboard-base maps, rather than the slick paper maps (the folds always made it hell to play on them).

#63 Sigmund Sandoval

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson, Draconis March

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

If you are near the Southern California area you should check out Orccon next month. We have some Battletech events scheduled that should be tons of fun.

#64 Strom

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

Sadly, not too many people I have met in Phoenix play the tabletop game. Too bad, really. Ive got enough mechs and minis and sheets to throw a battalion at a cluster. And I've even got some of the WoB Shadow Division Omnis. In the parlance, "Ive got more machines than pilots".

#65 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts
  • LocationSkulking out along the Periphery somewhere.

Posted 09 February 2013 - 12:42 PM

View PostNekki Basara, on 13 October 2012 - 07:41 PM, said:

On the off chance that anyone from Ireland is here looking for Battletech in Dublin then drop into Gamers World on a Tuesday evening and ask one of the staff to put you in contact with us if we're not obvious. Alternatively, if you're out Maynooth way there's a store there which has regular games apparently.

Either way, come to Gaelcon on the 26th and play in the games we're running there.

Unseen in the packaging go for a decent amount since they're guaranteed not to be fakes. Have you tried selling them?

Oh now that is just pretty. I wish I had the space for something like that.

There are people playing in Ireland?! Too bad I am living way out in Mayo at the moment, hopefully returning to college in Dublin come September. Been looking for game store in Ireland for ages, don't know how I missed that one.

View PostXetherius, on 10 January 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. I did look at the BT Starter box, one was on sale for about 40 bucks, I almost bought it then and there. (Might have to now...) Overall I think I'll probably go BTech after I get over my usual indecisiveness. Then again, I could just buy a chess set, paint them up, and use them for proxies in 40k.

I would also recommend it. It is great value, you get a whole lot in that one box.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 09 February 2013 - 12:51 PM.

#66 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

View PostPropnut, on 12 October 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

Still playing, weekly winter games.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice map board!!! Are the hexes moveable or is the terrain set?

#67 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 February 2013 - 07:00 AM

The base of the table has the hexes engraved into the board. The terrain is made up of movable foam parts in various shapes and sizes. The terrain parts have flocking on both top and bottom, this gives it a grip so there is no sliding around during game play.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#68 Mao of DC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 690 posts
  • LocationTerra, Sol System

Posted 10 February 2013 - 09:06 AM

View PostPropnut, on 10 February 2013 - 07:00 AM, said:

The base of the table has the hexes engraved into the board. The terrain is made up of movable foam parts in various shapes and sizes. The terrain parts have flocking on both top and bottom, this gives it a grip so there is no sliding around during game play.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice!!! :)

#69 Adridos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 10 February 2013 - 10:43 AM

Are you making those boards for your local game-club or something like that? ;)

I mean, they are amazing, but seem impractical for in-house use even if just for their size.

#70 Propnut

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

No, the smaller table was a prototype that has since been discarded. The larger table (playing it old school) is put in it's case and tucked away when not in use. The terrain is stored in a Rubbermaid tote until needed. The table case can easily slide under a queen size bed frame.

Posted Image

Edited by Propnut, 10 February 2013 - 11:20 AM.

#71 Steinar Bergstol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,622 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 12 February 2013 - 01:58 AM

Propnut, that is absotively, posilutely, undeniably _AWESOME_ in all possible ways and I'm extremely envious right now. :)

#72 AceTimberwolf

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,055 posts
  • Location春日部市、埼玉県、日本; アメリカ: Arcadia, CA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:01 AM

I would start Playing if I found people here in SoCal or if I found anyone near the Saitama/Tokyo Area when I'm over there. Be cool t have a MWO + TT night or something. I'd need a few games to get reacquainted tho

#73 trebormills

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 133 posts
  • LocationWales

Posted 13 February 2013 - 04:15 AM

wot no gen con image of the huge nuke going off??
Ill have to see if I can find it

PS
Still waiting on my box set to arrive at FLGS

#74 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 10:52 AM

View PostBlackfire1, on 12 October 2012 - 07:49 PM, said:

I prefer MegaMek. It does all my math for me. Posted Image

I just wish they would make it so you could play against a bot without having to open a second copy of the game client.

#75 Skylarr

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:35 AM

https://mwtactics.com/game

Free BETA key http://www.mmobomb.c...ctics-beta-keys

Edited by Skylarr, 26 February 2013 - 11:40 AM.

#76 Stormwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,951 posts
  • LocationCW Dire Wolf

Posted 26 February 2013 - 11:37 AM

View PostFiachdubh, on 26 February 2013 - 10:52 AM, said:

I just wish they would make it so you could play against a bot without having to open a second copy of the game client.

You can, just click on add bot, it's to the left of the camo button.

#77 Fiachdubh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 971 posts

Posted 26 February 2013 - 12:28 PM

View PostStormwolf, on 26 February 2013 - 11:37 AM, said:

You can, just click on add bot, it's to the left of the camo button.

Excellent, it has been improved since I last played, must download the latest version.

Edited by Fiachdubh, 26 February 2013 - 12:29 PM.

#78 SteelWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 558 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 27 February 2013 - 12:29 AM

Guys gotta be pro active to find players. I knew no one in my small city of 500 000- 700 000. Started with searching for local hobby stores and posting games wanted ads on their facebook pages. Dropping off little notes with my email address on it to line up games. Then I discovered there was a closed facebook group with 15 people in it from my city. From there we held games at the local hobby stores and its drawn both returning players and new guys into it. ALOT of people know Battletech. Just got to get the spark going. Constantly we have people walk up to our tables and identify the game in seconds.....

#79 Xu Liao

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:43 AM

View PostFiachdubh, on 09 February 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

There are people playing in Ireland?! Too bad I am living way out in Mayo at the moment, hopefully returning to college in Dublin come September. Been looking for game store in Ireland for ages, don't know how I missed that one.

I would also recommend it. It is great value, you get a whole lot in that one box.

Yup, we have players in Belfast too - but your right, BT seems to be a niche interest these days...

#80 MrMasakari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 387 posts
  • LocationThe Kerensky Cluster

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:55 AM

I always loved BT since I was a Kid, but I never got into TT and sadly regret it. I'd love to get into into it now. However I would have to find people in the UK to play with and so on, so perhaps something like MWtactics may be the way forward, I'm not sure but everyone in this thread regardless is just awesome for playing TT and keeping it alive still.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users