Razer Hydra - the best controller for the Mech EVER.

115 replies to this topic

#61 Scar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:06 AM

View Postpesco, on 25 April 2012 - 04:56 PM, said:

Oops. I think I just ordered one.

:blink: Will report back how I like it.

Gratz! :D

#62 Charles Martel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • LocationQuentin. Wish you were here Hanse?

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:16 AM

View PostCochise, on 26 April 2012 - 05:05 AM, said:

You scared me. For a very brief moment I thought you were going to say that you actually 'Liked' the Hollander.

Then be very scared because I do. It's an excellent jump sniper in prime and B configurations. The A config is a paper weight without support though.

#63 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 26 April 2012 - 08:27 AM

View PostCochise, on 25 April 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

Hey Scar, see you on the MWLL from time to time and you do some damage with your setup. I think this would be really cool so I'm going to try it out. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for your words, Cochise. Obviously, i'm far from the best pilots, but i'm trying to do my best. :D And i'm glad if my review on Hydra was interesting for you and all the community - it's really the great thing and really great feeling, when you're keeping the Mech in your hands, literally.

#64 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Hydra arrived today. :) And man, was it a b... whole lotta work to set up with MWLL. ^^
Alas, all done now! I'm still wobbly on the new 'Mech legs (if that can be said) but had a few quite fun matches. Definitely beats the crap out of my Joystick setup and feels more mechy than keyboard and mouse! ;)

FTR, Here's a link to the config I came up with: http://pastebin.com/NEutAKek (.mce file)
Layout Pic: http://pastehtml.com.../bw8at7dlv.html

#65 Don

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:26 PM

Real mechwarriors use joysticks. I don't think I've ever seen one using a mouse to pilot their mech in any of the source material.

#66 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 27 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

View Postpesco, on 27 April 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Hydra arrived today. ;) And man, was it a b... whole lotta work to set up with MWLL. ^^
Alas, all done now! I'm still wobbly on the new 'Mech legs (if that can be said) but had a few quite fun matches. Definitely beats the crap out of my Joystick setup and feels more mechy than keyboard and mouse! :D

FTR, Here's a link to the config I came up with: http://pastebin.com/NEutAKek (.mce file)
Layout Pic: http://pastehtml.com.../bw8at7dlv.html

What he said. ;)

BTW, very interesting *mce - binding groups make it much easier to read and organize and raw axes input far smoother than default. I've tested it and gonna make some changes in both of my configs.

View PostDon, on 27 April 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

Real mechwarriors use joysticks. I don't think I've ever seen one using a mouse to pilot their mech in any of the source material.

Well, then bad for them. :ph34r: And BTW, the Hydra feels not like the mouse, but the exoskeleton or augmented joystick.

Edited by Scar, 27 April 2012 - 11:39 PM.

#67 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts
  • LocationClan Wolf Occupation Zone

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

hmm never was a big fan of joysticks, looks cool yeah but well I'm more attrackted to a mouse and keyboard controll^^
hmm have to buy a new mouse anyway^^

btw vids do not impress, I see so much hiding and so less brawling

Edited by Andar89, 28 April 2012 - 12:29 AM.

#68 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostAndar89, on 28 April 2012 - 12:29 AM, said:

btw vids do not impress, I see so much hiding and so less brawling

I like the guys who're brawling on the light C3 recons without mind - easy frags for me, yammy. Know your mech, its role on the battlefield, and learn the tactics - there is no bravery in stupid dying.

#69 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

who said I pilot an sphere light with C3?

A kitfox (B,C) or a Cougar (D,E) does the job adequate as well, puma is too much sniping, but the ATM version is nice but lacks the lasers.

Edited by Andar89, 28 April 2012 - 02:16 AM.

#70 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:42 AM

Then please, show us how to do it properly. I heard enough theorists - a real man's actions speak louder than words.

#71 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:46 AM

Im sure we have already met on the battlefield of MW:LL^^

#72 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:47 AM

Anyway, show us how to pilot the light C3-recon mech.

#73 Evgeny Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 704 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:35 AM

I do not like C3 recons in MW:LL so I cant show you anything you might be better with.
Thats why I choose brawling (and clan mechs^^) more then those.
I also do not like peek a boo and those long toms (which have harrased your team in the first vid)

So I am a brawler and I would have go the far right route, above the mountains
(there is a Windmill on the hill where you can go up even without jump packs)
try to strike the IS team in its back with hit and run. I might have died, stupidly as you say,
but I still like it that way.

and I cant play MW:LL nao. havnt upgraded it in a while and I have a bandwith limit here

ohh and sorry if you felt insulted in anyway =P

ends offtopic now?

#74 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 28 April 2012 - 03:47 AM

Words, words, words - i got it, you're just another theorist. come back when you'll have something more than your theories.

#75 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Quick update on my mapping for MWLL. I'll post this here for completeness and because I assume it will be useful as a basis for a future MWO layout.

Controlling throttle and steering by tilting the left controller proved too cumbersome. Mapping these functions to the left thumbstick enables gestures and allows the config to support WASD if one doesn't want to fiddle with PPJoy. I revamped almost all button positions and am really liking this layout. All weapon groups and combat-essential functions are ready on the right hand with the left performing steering and holding access to all those auxiliary toggle switches. Yet less-used functions are accessible as alternate mappings when holding the left bumper switch. The right trigger and bumper fire primary and secondary weapons either separately or in concert (pull trigger through).

layout pic: http://pastehtml.com.../bwg61cjfy.html
mwll.mce: http://pastebin.com/88tZgaev

NB: Instead of hybrid mode, this config uses freelook with a ramp exponent of 1.5, yielding a similar effect (fine control in the middle, fast turn on the outside) but feeling more natural, IMHO.

Edited by pesco, 29 April 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#76 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 29 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

View PostGrendel408, on 25 April 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Yeah... no thanks... I'll stick with my current accessories :P

Posted Image

Ugh, a R.A.T. mouse. Worst thing ever. Constantly glitchy and breaks too frequently for serious gaming.

On topic: Hydra? Pfffft. Over-expensive waste of money. Sure, it's cool and all, and semi-immersive to boot. It's still 1st gen technology though. Give me a reliable mouse and keyboard, twin joysticks (or HOTAS), or a full simulation console. Those remotes make users look like fools, and unless your hands are rock-steady, are also hard to be pin-point accurate with.

#77 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:10 PM

View PostVolthorne, on 29 April 2012 - 06:43 PM, said:

On topic: Hydra? Pfffft. Over-expensive waste of money. Sure, it's cool and all, and semi-immersive to boot. It's still 1st gen technology though. Give me a reliable mouse and keyboard, twin joysticks (or HOTAS), or a full simulation console. Those remotes make users look like fools, and unless your hands are rock-steady, are also hard to be pin-point accurate with.

Stop trolling. AFAICT current joystick technology is just not precise enough. On paper Hydra beats any HOTAS setup on price and precision; as well as on immersion whatever LAN party gear you're sporting. ;P

#78 Rattlehead NZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationAuckland New Zealand

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

Posted Image

The Ultimate Controller long forgotten.
I use to have one of these and it cost me an arm and a leg but it was amazing. It had feedback, could tilt left and right and forward and backwards as well as press down and lift up. And could use it with your left hand and mouse with the right. Mine was stolen when our computer store was robbed :P and its serial so chances of it working now impossiple.

#79 Volthorne

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,929 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Canadia

Posted 29 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Postpesco, on 29 April 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

Stop trolling. AFAICT current joystick technology is just not precise enough. On paper Hydra beats any HOTAS setup on price and precision; as well as on immersion whatever LAN party gear you're sporting. ;P

Trolling? Who's trolling? I'm being dead serious. You make the mistake of comparing on-paper to tried-and-true. One does not equal the other. There have been plenty of ideas that looked great on paper, and failed spectacularly when introduced to the real world. I'm not saying the Hydra is one. It probably does the job it's meant for well enough (read: gimmicky). I'll still take my time-tested setup over a gimmick any day.

#80 Bloodycrow

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEugene, Oregon

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:01 AM

Pesco, man, y u no post a thread of this awesome-sounding setup over on the MWLL boards?

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users