Razer Hydra - the best controller for the Mech EVER.

115 replies to this topic

#81 pesco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:24 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 29 April 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

I'll [...] take my time-tested setup [...]

Your valuable opinion is duly noted. *yawn*

#82 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:55 AM

View PostBloodycrow, on 30 April 2012 - 01:01 AM, said:

Pesco, man, y u no post a thread of this awesome-sounding setup over on the MWLL boards?

Well, why not... <_<
http://forum.mechliv...ic,17399.0.html

Also posted on the official Sixense (makers of the technology) forums:
http://sixense.com/f...-Living-Legends

Edited by pesco, 30 April 2012 - 01:58 AM.

#83 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 01 May 2012 - 03:55 AM

View PostVolthorne, on 29 April 2012 - 07:33 PM, said:

You make the mistake of comparing on-paper to tried-and-true.

O'RLY? ^_^
Spoiler

Edited by Scar, 01 May 2012 - 03:58 AM.

#84 Nasty9

• PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationNY

Posted 01 May 2012 - 07:39 PM

Scar, lifting your thumbs off of the sticks to push a button isn't too much of a problem?

#85 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:42 AM

To push a button on the controller?! Not a problem at all.

#86 Chuckie

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,738 posts
  • LocationHell if I don't change my ways

Posted 02 May 2012 - 03:44 AM

Are the thumbsticks buttons too..? Like on some other controllers.?

#87 Scar

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,694 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 02 May 2012 - 04:17 AM

View PostChuckie, on 02 May 2012 - 03:44 AM, said:

Are the thumbsticks buttons too..? Like on some other controllers.?

I'm using only one of thumbstick buttons, for Esc key. Of course, they are both not much comfortable and quick, but it doesn't matter for me.

#88 Drenix

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 09 August 2012 - 07:03 AM

Has anybody made anyone made a decent profile for hydra yet? if so where can i find it?

#89 Drenix

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:47 AM

View PostGrendel408, on 25 April 2012 - 11:52 AM, said:

Yeah... no thanks... I'll stick with my current accessories :D

http&#58;//img5.mmo.mmo4arab.com/news/2010/02/10/ces10/91.jpg

http&#58;//www.simpilot.com/catalog/PS38lg.gif
Tried and tested in MW4:Mercs... Battlefield3, and HAWX... good customization and control, adjustable and comfortable... never liked the Wii and I won't like your Hydra controller... too "console" for my taste.

#90 Drenix

• Pip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 07 September 2012 - 12:58 AM

I own a Xbox PC controller, Razer Onza and a Razer hydra, F.Y.I its nothing like a console controller except the fact that it has triggers, buttons, sticks.
It has the accuracy of a mouse with awesome immersive freedom of movement, actually makes me feel like i'm piloting a mech, a bit tough on the arms the first few days your using it but no problem after. Only problem is need a decent profile to be made. http://sixense.com/p...s/motioncreator ... could make your own though i just don't have the patience

Edited by Drenix, 07 September 2012 - 01:03 AM.

#91 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 07 September 2012 - 02:19 AM

I made a profile for it. See above for link or look on the Sixense forums.

In the end, I did stop using it though for two reasons:

1) no tactile feedback where you are pointing
2) requires effort to hold on zero position

With a joystick, for instance, you always feel how far to the side you are pointing and to center you just let it go. So I bought a better mouse for the moment and am kind of hoping to get back to a joystick at some point.

#92 Sleipnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:22 AM

I recently got a Hydra and absolutely LOVE it! It's a much more natural feeling using the right control to aim, and it has more buttons than I know what to do with (seriously).

Any, after reading this thread I noticed a lot of confusion about how the aiming works. I found this video:

which explains the different ways you can set it up to track different types of movement. It can simulate MOUSE movement, JOYSTICK movement, as well as others.

All I'm saying is, don't try to compare it to joysticks or mouse/keyboard setups. This is on a whole other planet of customization, and you should definitely check it out!

Edited by Sleipnir, 18 September 2012 - 06:22 AM.

#93 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 06:44 AM

View PostSleipnir, on 18 September 2012 - 06:22 AM, said:

I recently got a Hydra and absolutely LOVE it! It's a much more natural feeling using the right control to aim, and it has more buttons than I know what to do with (seriously).

You're using it for MWO? Do you use mouselook? Do you need to ratchet?

#94 Sleipnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:11 AM

I'm using mouselook so far. Instead of ratchet I just hold the right start button (which I set to center torso). I find it's generally faster.

What took me longest was the sensitivity. Once I brought that down a bit I find my aim is improving a lot (and I was no bad shot to begin with). I've gauss rifle'd a couple of moving Jenners, if you know what I mean :)

#95 pesco

• 1,008 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 07:18 AM

View PostSleipnir, on 18 September 2012 - 07:11 AM, said:

Instead of ratchet I just hold the right start button (which I set to center torso). I find it's generally faster.

Not sure I follow. I meant when for instance you want to turn your torso on the Catapult all the way to one side. Do you have to go in multiple "swings" or can you go through the whole twist with the range of your wrist?

#96 Sleipnir

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 233 posts

Posted 18 September 2012 - 08:17 AM

View Postpesco, on 18 September 2012 - 07:18 AM, said:

Not sure I follow. I meant when for instance you want to turn your torso on the Catapult all the way to one side. Do you have to go in multiple "swings" or can you go through the whole twist with the range of your wrist?

Generally, I can hit anything on the screen easily within the range of twisting my wrist. I use the left joystick for turning the mech. I tried an akimbo setup earlier, but I don't have it working the way I want yet. I'll get back to you once I get it to my liking.

My previous comment - sometimes the cursor becomes off-center due to me moving too far with my wrist, knocking my hand position out of whack. As a result, I use the center torso feature to let me "reset" my hand position.

#97 Jerebec

• PipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 78 posts
  • LocationEkaterinburg

Posted 22 September 2012 - 08:41 AM

View PostScar, on 21 April 2012 - 08:50 AM, said:

Yes, it isn't very authentic - it feels more like you're controlling exoskeleton, because it resembles the way pilots controlled the Mechs in Robot Jox or battle exo's from the Matrix Revolutions.

But anyway, it's so incredible to feel that you and your Mech is a single whole. Fascinating.

Robot Jox - yeaa! Thats rights))) I mean me need hydra and pedals for MOST authenticity )))

#98 Faolan65

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts
  • LocationPhoenix

Posted 10 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

So I just placed my order and my Hydra has been shipped, so I will post up my soon to be first person perspective after a "thorough" :D test drive, until it arrives though, for those who have bought and use one, share with me your "lessons learned" and do & don'ts with the Hydra.

From every video that Ive seen it being used, it looks to be perfect for MWO, as well as I think it will be great to pilot my Cutlass in Star Citizen when that comes around in a couple years. :(

Edited by Faolan65, 10 December 2012 - 12:14 PM.

#99 arkani

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationPortugal

Posted 30 December 2012 - 07:57 AM

Use this thread to get configs for your Razer Hydra

Razer Hydra requires habituation and training.

The first 10/20 games i couldn´t hit anything. Kept at it and now im able to be has good with the Hydra as with the Mouse/Keyboard (after about 100 games , lol ), pretty good considering i have been using Mouse/keyboard for years.

I like it alot. It's getting easier and more comfortable.

I use the left controller for Fire/Aim and the right for Move/Hud.
It's in Hybrid mode with a big deadzone, this allows for a large Mouselook area and keeps only the edges working in Freelook, to do quick torso moves.
Most tweaks were done to get the Mouselook/freelok transition right and sensitivity. Sensitivity is very important it will make the diferrence between hitting consistently or not.

In this config i can hit when sniping and when brawling in close quarters.
I will post in the thread above any other tweaks/versions i make.

If you use your right hand for aim, remember to swap the left controller for the right.

Have fun.

Edited by arkani, 30 December 2012 - 08:05 AM.

#100 ODonovan

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  • LocationMWO is still incomplete, after YEARS!

Posted 01 January 2013 - 11:04 PM

I've seen several people mention gaming mice. Rather than having to move your entire arm, why not just move a finger?

STOP! It's Hammer...err...Trackball Time!
Can't touch this!

Posted Image

Ten buttons and a scroll wheel! Plus, since it's so different than using a mouse, you can get used to using it left handed in just a few minutes and use a joystick or HOTAS setup WITH it, with the trackball on the left. The best thing about this model for some people is that there's a wireless version of the same model, so you wireless type guys can mount it to the armrest of your gaming recliner or strap it to your thigh or whatever. :)

-Irish

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users