#321 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:18 AM

Alright... long overdue, much distraction in between.

Players will NOT be able to claim canon units as their own. When it comes to Mercenary Units/Corps/Companies, these names will not be available during MC creation. Trying to circumvent the naming system will result in the Merc Corp being renamed/denied.

Faction units are being handled slightly different. When a player aligns themselves with one of the major factions, say House Kurita, they will have the opportunity to join famous house units as the rank up by earning loyalty points. Some house units will require additional feats of excellence and challenges to achieve before membership is granted. Since these units are not run by the players, and we can reserve/restrict access to very active/famous units for sake of preserving the BattleTech timeline.

Our general stance on player run merc units is simple - create your own legacy! It's very unfair for players to stake ownership over a canon unit, and creates a host of politic and pr issues. So we're avoiding the complexities and edge cases associate with players assuming the role of these units by encouraging you to forge your own destiny.

This is our launch POV. As always, we listen to your feedback and ways to improve the system.

#322 chewie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 875 posts
  • LocationPortsmouth, UK, Addicks, FedSuns

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

Sounds like an entirely fair proposal.

Thanks for the clarification.

on a side note, will Devs etc be around, under say the Comstar tag, ala EA's MPBT3025 staff did?

#323 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Players will NOT be able to claim canon units as their own. When it comes to Mercenary Units/Corps/Companies, these names will not be available during MC creation. Trying to circumvent the naming system will result in the Merc Corp being renamed/denied.

Faction units are being handled slightly different. When a player aligns themselves with one of the major factions, say House Kurita, they will have the opportunity to join famous house units as the rank up by earning loyalty points. Some house units will require additional feats of excellence and challenges to achieve before membership is granted. Since these units are not run by the players, and we can reserve/restrict access to very active/famous units for sake of preserving the BattleTech timeline.

Our general stance on player run merc units is simple - create your own legacy! It's very unfair for players to stake ownership over a canon unit, and creates a host of politic and pr issues. So we're avoiding the complexities and edge cases associate with players assuming the role of these units and encouraging you to forge your own destiny.

This is our launch POV. As always, we listen to your feedback and ways to improve the system.

Thanks for the input Bryan...Time to come up with a new merc name for us Rangers :D

Hope the jaw is feeling better.

Edited by Hartsblade, 03 May 2012 - 11:22 AM.

#324 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:22 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 May 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

One thing to help with all this:
Player made 'Clan Smoke Jaguar' would be:
ClanSmokeJaguar

In terms of canonical reference, the actual Clan Smoke Jaguar would be called thus.

So players can be clans and merc units from the universe, but they will be clearly marked as player made; IE. ClanJadeFalcon, etc.

Now what about in my units case where we took a Cluster from a Clan Touman? 304th Assault Cluster?

#325 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:24 AM

Our general stance on player run merc units is simple - create your own legacy! It's very unfair for players to stake ownership over a canon unit, and creates a host of politic and pr issues. So we're avoiding the complexities and edge cases associate with players assuming the role of these units and encouraging you to forge your own destiny.

#326 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:27 AM

Since Clans are Factions, and not player run (at launch), this would fall under the Faction Unit rules.

Players can earn the privilege to be a member by earning loyalty points and performing certain feats/actions.

#327 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:28 AM

View PostGarth Erlam, on 03 May 2012 - 11:17 AM, said:

One thing to help with all this:
Player made 'Clan Smoke Jaguar' would be:
ClanSmokeJaguar

In terms of canonical reference, the actual Clan Smoke Jaguar would be called thus.

So players can be clans and merc units from the universe, but they will be clearly marked as player made; IE. ClanJadeFalcon, etc.

Here is Garth's addendum. It seems to slighly contradict what Bryan says, though, about circumventing established names... however I think Bryan could have meant "circumvention" as in substituting lowercase "L" with capital "I", and stuff like that.

Edited by Prosperity Park, 03 May 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#328 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 11:27 AM, said:

Since Clans are Factions, and not player run (at launch), this would fall under the Faction Unit rules.

Players can earn the privilege to be a member by earning loyalty points and performing certain feats/actions.

So, if I am following right, When the Clans come, I can join in how ever fashion PGI creates to join The Clans, and then would need to work my way in to the said Cluster, as would my trothkin in the unit for MWLL? Sounds reasonable. :D TY

#329 T FreeLancer

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 66 posts
  • LocationArizona, USA, Earth

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:29 AM

View PostOrzorn, on 23 April 2012 - 11:11 AM, said:

No, its mine!

Weee!

But seriously, I think some of these factions around here (and by some I mean a metric crap ton) are going to be disappointed when the game comes out and they can't enter their faction name. It seems to me a really scary amount of folks ignored the clause in the FAQs talking about how some units will be reserved.

Thankfully, I've avoided that by actually making an original unit.

Agreed. This is why the Merc Corps is so much more fun. You find a new name, or reuse a unique one from previous games, get some people to ride with you. Then, go out an wreak havok. Its a good formula, with less BS and fighting for 'Valid' factions.

#330 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

I would have been surprised if it was any other way.

#331 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:30 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 03 May 2012 - 11:28 AM, said:

Here is Garth's addendum. It seems to slighyl contradict what Bryan says, though, about circumventing established names...

True, but if you look at the original thread you'll see Bryan's post was after Garth's. That may explain the contradiction...I'd go with the most recent post.

#332 Motionless

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 450 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:32 AM

This should probably be in the Merc Crop General chat (Outreach) not the recruiting forums.

#333 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Our general stance on player run merc units is simple - create your own legacy! It's very unfair for players to stake ownership over a canon unit, and creates a host of politic and pr issues. So we're avoiding the complexities and edge cases associate with players assuming the role of these units by encouraging you to forge your own destiny.

Fair enough. I would like to make a suggestion, though.

In the future, would you consider making the major canon merc units into faction like entities? That is, player run merc units could gain faction with them and earn the right to wear their colors. Many of the larger merc units field multiple regiments. Furthermore, for many of us, our merc unit of choice in the MW/BT Universe is as dear to us as are any of the major Houses or Clans to their fans.

I realize something like this couldn't be added in time for launch. But it would certainly make a fair chunk of your player base happy as hell to know we could expect something like that in the future.

#334 Orzorn

• 3,327 posts
  • LocationComanche, Texas

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:33 AM

Exactly as I expected it to be. I think its best this way.

In the future, would you consider making the major canon merc units into faction like entities?

I think this is a solid compromise. You could earn the right to join the merc factions, same as normal factions.

Edited by Orzorn, 03 May 2012 - 11:36 AM.

#335 Listless Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,573 posts
  • LocationElsewhere

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:34 AM

well - looks like its time to come up with a new name for the Rangers

thanks for the clarification Bryan

Edited by Listless Nomad, 03 May 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#336 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:38 AM

Never trust a CM. He's dead wrong.. sorry guys. :D

#337 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Never trust a CM. He's dead wrong.. sorry guys. :D

Thanks again Bryan.

#338 wwiiogre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:39 AM

Wow, TS3 just lit up fairly angrily about this. Was hoping if PGI went this route they would do the same thing for the Known Large Merc Units as they did for House units allowing us to be part of what we wanted to. Not the tough sheit route, saying House gets special treatment all others are out of luck.

Perhaps I am reading to much into this, especially for Known Merc Units that had no direct contact with story line at this point.

chris

#339 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:40 AM

Maybe they could do us a solid and - in addition to clarifying the whole circumvention thing with the most up-to-date policy (corrected via strikeout) - list which merc units are not available. There are a lot of merc units in Btech lore - are we to presume that each and every one, from the hugest down to a four-man merc unit, is off limits?

Edited by Firefly, 03 May 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#340 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:41 AM

View Postwwiiogre, on 03 May 2012 - 11:39 AM, said:

Wow, TS3 just lit up fairly angrily about this. Was hoping if PGI went this route they would do the same thing for the Known Large Merc Units as they did for House units allowing us to be part of what we wanted to. Not the tough sheit route, saying House gets special treatment all others are out of luck. Perhaps I am reading to much into this, especially for Known Merc Units that had no direct contact with story line at this point. chris

We're discussing this as an option. But it's not guaranteed at this time.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users