Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

View PostFirefly, on 03 May 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

Maybe they could do us a solid and - in addition to clarifying the whole circumvention thing with the most up-to-date policy (corrected via strikeout) - list which merc units are not available. There are a lot of merc units in Btech lore - are we to presume that each and every one, from the hugest down to a four-man merc unit, is off limits?

There are 5965 canon units. :D

#342 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:44 AM

Just double checking

So at this time, no 12th Vegan Ranger's for players. Correct?

If The change is made for some Mrec Units to be treated the same as the Houses, would the Ranger's be "large" or "famous" enough to considered?

#343 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Ouch...

#344 Cyote13

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 192 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:45 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 11:18 AM, said:

Alright... long overdue, much distraction in between.

Players will NOT be able to claim canon units as their own. When it comes to Mercenary Units/Corps/Companies, these names will not be available during MC creation. Trying to circumvent the naming system will result in the Merc Corp being renamed/denied.

Faction units are being handled slightly different. When a player aligns themselves with one of the major factions, say House Kurita, they will have the opportunity to join famous house units as the rank up by earning loyalty points. Some house units will require additional feats of excellence and challenges to achieve before membership is granted. Since these units are not run by the players, and we can reserve/restrict access to very active/famous units for sake of preserving the BattleTech timeline.

Our general stance on player run merc units is simple - create your own legacy! It's very unfair for players to stake ownership over a canon unit, and creates a host of politic and pr issues. So we're avoiding the complexities and edge cases associate with players assuming the role of these units by encouraging you to forge your own destiny.

This is our launch POV. As always, we listen to your feedback and ways to improve the system.

Will you please post a list of the units that are "Canon Units", while I was thinking about creating the Wylie's Coyotes (even if a not very glorious one :D ), others might still try and not realizing that it is a canon unit, get frustrated in the unit creation.

#345 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostHartsblade, on 03 May 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

Just double checking So at this time, no 12th Vegan Ranger's for players. Correct? If The change is made for some Mrec Units to be treated the same as the Houses, would the Ranger's be "large" or "famous" enough to considered?

That's part of the problem. It's tough to draw a line. If we can manage it, it would be an all or nothing situation. And to be clear, if we allowed players to join canon Merc Units, they would essentially be faction players. They would not have access to the Merc HQ or the tools therein.

#346 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:46 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 11:43 AM, said:

Yes, something like that. Which is why I said

View PostFirefly, on 03 May 2012 - 11:40 AM, said:

There are a lot of merc units in Btech lore - are we to presume that each and every one, from the hugest down to a four-man merc unit, is off limits?

So in essence, "yes Firefly, stop being a jerk, all 5965 are off-limits!" could be an equally acceptable answer.

I'm presuming, as well, that in keeping with the previous clarification from Garth that - in my case - BlackWidowCompany is acceptable now?

#347 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

That's part of the problem. It's tough to draw a line. If we can manage it, it would be an all or nothing situation. And to be clear, if we allowed players to join canon Merc Units, they would essentially be faction players. They would not have access to the Merc HQ or the tools therein.

Understood, but that may be an acceptable sacrifice for some of these guys in order to be in the Unit they love. I can see where it would be hard to draw the line as to which Canon Merc Unit would be a faction and which would not.

edit: spelling

Edited by Hartsblade, 03 May 2012 - 11:50 AM.

#348 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

As I mentioned in another thread - there are nearly 5700 units, all of them will be unavailable for player created merc corps. I did try to post it... post_too_long.

#349 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:50 AM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 11:41 AM, said:

We're discussing this as an option. But it's not guaranteed at this time.

Thank you for discussing this option, no matter what your final decision is. :D

#350 wwiiogre

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:52 AM

Oh wow, the flame is flying on TS3, NoGutsNoGalaxy is going to be hot as Dante's Inferno tonight.

Chris

#351 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

View PostFirefly, on 03 May 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Yes, something like that. Which is why I said So in essence, "yes Firefly, stop being a jerk, all 5965 are off-limits!" could be an equally acceptable answer. I'm presuming, as well, that in keeping with the previous clarification from Garth that - in my case - BlackWidowCompany is acceptable now?

Unfortunately, no. Garth ate some bad food for lunch and spoke out of turn.

#352 Hartsblade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 772 posts

View PostFirefly, on 03 May 2012 - 11:46 AM, said:

Yes, something like that. Which is why I said

So in essence, "yes Firefly, stop being a jerk, all 5965 are off-limits!" could be an equally acceptable answer.

I'm presuming, as well, that in keeping with the previous clarification from Garth that - in my case - BlackWidowCompany is acceptable now?

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 11:38 AM, said:

Never trust a CM. He's dead wrong.. sorry guys. :D

Looks like Garth was wrong...sorry Firefly

edit: ninja'd by Bryan :ph34r:

Edited by Hartsblade, 03 May 2012 - 11:53 AM.

#353 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:53 AM

View PostHartsblade, on 03 May 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

Understood, but that may be an acceptable sacrifice for some of these guys in order to be in the Unit they love. I can see where it would be hard to draw the line as to which Canon Merc Unit would be a faction and which would not.

edit: spelling

As Hartsblade said, for many of us, this is a more than acceptable compromise. For those of us in NWH*, our love for the unit goes beyond our ego and our need to "run" NWH.

* Name change pending.

#354 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Okay. I think I had my personalities confused there. I went back and figured it out.

I have a few more questions:

1) What sort of characters are allowed in the name? Will we be able to add tags? Like [OMG] =LOL=?
2) In reference to my aforementioned example: what if we just used simply "BWC"?

#355 Sigmund Sandoval

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 103 posts
  • LocationPlanet Robinson, Draconis March

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:55 AM

Works for me. It seems that a lot of people want to take this as an opportunity to change the narrative to suit their own agenda, for example the smoke jaguars who resent their fate. This seems reasonable as a compromise and to shut down those who just want to re-write history. You want to make your own story, do it from scratch. If you want to be part of a national military unt you have to play within the rules of that organization to carve out a niche for yourself.

#356 Zylo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:56 AM

So I'm curious about the possibilities of being a member of a player made merc unit while also for example gaining faction with a house unit. Would this even be possible and if so would players get multiple tags attached to their name such as:

"[House Faction Unit][Player run Merc Unit]Playername?"

#357 Korbyn McColl

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 402 posts
  • LocationGlasgow

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

View PostZylo, on 03 May 2012 - 11:56 AM, said:

So I'm curious about the possibilities of being a member of a player made merc unit while also for example gaining faction with a house unit. Would this even be possible and if so would players get multiple tags attached to their name such as:

"[House Faction Unit][Player run Merc Unit]Playername?"

I think he means that the merc unit would be treated like a House. As in, those of us in NWH would be part of the Northwind Highlander faction. Since NWH works for Davion at this point in time, that means we could only work for Davion, though.

Of course, your guess is as good as mine. But that's what I take from the possibility being tossed around.

#358 Salesninja

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:04 PM

First, thank you for taking the time to spell this out to us. I am wondering if there will be
Any structure for player groups as house units? Say if I was a me in a world
Of world of tanks clan that is coming over here but we wanted to stay as a unit here, and we're not wanting to be mercenaries...

Am I making sense?

Cause it sounds like house units are for lone wolves, merc units are for clans/guilds whathaveyou

Edited by Salesninja, 03 May 2012 - 12:23 PM.

#359 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:10 PM

Am I correct you are referring to Merc Company names as a whole and possibly not sub-groups of that company? Example: We figured this would be the case when it came to canon merc company names, so the Wolf's Dragoons groups made sure to take regimental and company names and stay away from the "Wolf's Dragoons". We should be able to just work as freelance merc companies, correct?

#360 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:11 PM

View PostFirefly, on 03 May 2012 - 11:55 AM, said:

Okay. I think I had my personalities confused there. I went back and figured it out.

I have a few more questions:

1) What sort of characters are allowed in the name? Will we be able to add tags? Like [OMG] =LOL=?
2) In reference to my aforementioned example: what if we just used simply "BWC"?

There are two fields. Full Name and Short Name (tag). Both need to pass a set of naming criteria and filters. BWC would be denied, too short.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users