• Elite Founder
  • 274 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 12:38 PM, said:

Yes!

Faction Player - Passive Participation
Merc Player - Active Participation

I really don't like the way this sounds. I thought this game was mainly about the houses fighting one another, with a few mercs scattered about the edge for flavor. This sounds as if the game is about the Merc Corps, with the casual players and mouth breathers playing as the houses.

This needs some more explanation. I'f I play for a House, I don't get to decide who, where, or when I fight? It was my understanding that this game's primary focus was the houses fighting over border planets with the ability to take control of them from one another. Is this not the case?

As a house player, once I've gained the right to join a famous House Unit is that nothing more than an achievement? Just unlocking a new paint scheme for my mech? I was hoping that after joining a canon unit you get to fight as member of that unit with a lance/company formed of other members of that unit.

Edited by Shephard, 03 May 2012 - 12:59 PM.

#402 Carl Wrede

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 958 posts
  • LocationStockholm, Sweden

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:54 PM

Exactly as i expected and tried to tell people here. Its the best approach, sure some people might get upset but alot more people would have been upset if someone else could claim a canon name but not them.

Regarding canon merc unit names my suggestion would be to put them into the house unit list for the house they worked for at the current time and let players join them as they would regular house units.

#403 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostRunz, on 03 May 2012 - 12:51 PM, said:

The idea of 'possibly' having famous merc units as npc factions is a good one and makes sense, perhaps there is a way to affiliate your mech unit with a canon unit similar to the whole Mechwarrior 4 Merc campaign if your rep is high enough (I know MRBC hasn't been created yet but I'm sure the MRB filled a similar role as I understand).

This is actually a really good idea. I kinda like that.

#404 Shephard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 274 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

View PostZylo, on 03 May 2012 - 12:53 PM, said:

This might cause the initial group of players to heavily favor merc groups over house factions due to the coordination advantages of VOIP. I suspect this would result in more requests for in-game VOIP from the faction players as well. The coordination differences I think will push the more hardcore players to merc groups and the more casual to house units. That being said I think this would be a good system to split the casual and hardcore populations a bit. Looks like I'll need to find a merc group at some point.

Quoted for Truth.

#405 AlanEsh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • 1,212 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:56 PM

So I could name my merc unit "Theta Regiment" and then in my unit's writeup I can claim to be a Wolf's Dragoon's regiment.

Thanks for clarifying this stuff Bryan, and I applaud the (obvious) choice of keeping canon unit names out of players' hands.

#406 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVancouver, BC

View PostTyr Gunn, on 03 May 2012 - 12:49 PM, said:

This feels so much like an inelegantly patched together solution for an unanticipated problem.

Yeah, yeah. The Northwind Highlanders have been very diplomatic by saying things like "We are not THE Northwind Highlanders, but we ARE Northwind Highlanders". Now, let me be honest, that sentiment is incomplete because we also WANT to be Northwind Highlanders. We have worked hard at forming ourselves up as Highlanders. We are proud, as Highlanders.

Or we were, until PGI decided to punish us with a tag that effectively labels us as stupid, unoriginal dolts. NorthwindHighlanders does that. It separates us from the hoards of "originals" like the exclusive Clan Purple Ponies and the respected Blackwind Fornicators.

I realize that we could call ourselves something similar, but it kinda defeats the purpose. Especially if we're seen as trying to circumvent the block. This solution gives people that want to be a different group of Highlanders licence to do so, but it also takes away something House players get, a sense of connection to something "real", a sense of belonging. I'd rather proudly represent the Highlanders than I would "own" them.

So the only way for a merc unit to get that same sense of belonging, they have to create the Micky Mouse Club? I say that's no better of a solution than unfairly locking in early birds.

I'd rather the cannon merc groups be joinable like houses. I want to be a Highlander, not own them. I can organize myself and my group outside of the game just like I have in all other Mechwarrior games. I feel, like the FRR, maybe PGI forgot that mercs are important too.

We had planned for this eventuality, what we didn't plan for is a badge of shame, nor did we plan for the inability to even suggest that we're Highlanders.

To summarize, lore-loveing house players get the cake while lore-loving merc players get the crumbs? How can merc corps be getting the short end already?

Unfortunately, someone misspoke about naming rules. The rules as I have stated have been in place since inception of the game. HOWEVER, a new development is considering adding canon merc units to the faction list, and treating them as such. I think this is quite a good solution, fair, and concise.

#407 Salesninja

• PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  • LocationMadison, Wisconsin

View PostShephard, on 03 May 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

Why not just have your whole guild play for the house? Playing for a house does not mean you can't play together with your friends. Is your guildmaster that much a control freak?

Have you met any guild masters before? ;p

Nah it's not bad actually. I'm a details guy. If I set my expectations properly, then I won't be disappointed. I have decided to not be disappointed.

#408 Hyperion Adama

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 35 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

I've not been monitoring these forums as much as i probably should. Especially as i'm an independent in all respects free for recruitment to any outfit of sufficent standing. I'm most adept in timberwolves. (feel free to send RP/non rp recruitment PM's)

I think with the game still in development and not even in beta testing yet that this is a temporary measure to allow them to sort out a TON of things involving the lore. Please lets not forget that an MW 5 is in development as we speak involving a HUGE amount of MW4 Merc developers. And THAT one could have timeline issues with THIS.

Let the dev team of this game get together with the smith and tinker guys and sort all of this out. Because as important as this is we are seeing a potential resurgence of the franchise itself and the integrity of THAT should be held above quite a bit.

#409 Bryan Ekman

Creative Director

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 1,106 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:57 PM

View PostShephard, on 03 May 2012 - 12:54 PM, said:

This needs some more explanation. I'f I play for a House, I don't get to decide who, where, or when I fight? It was my understanding that houses fight over border planets and can take control of them from one another. Is this not the case?

Correct, but faction players have not choice over which planets are being fought over.

#410 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:58 PM

View PostTronchaser, on 03 May 2012 - 12:41 PM, said:

Happy Happy.... I would have loved to been a fly on the wall at the staff meetings debating on how to roll this news out.

See Bryan has posted something new.

Reads Bryan's post.

"Ohhhh.. this is gonna be good"

Get popcorn.

Enjoy the commotion not at my expense for once.

#411 Tyr Gunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:59 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

Unfortunately, someone misspoke about naming rules. The rules as I have stated have been in place since inception of the game. HOWEVER, a new development is considering adding canon merc units to the faction list, and treating them as such. I think this is quite a good solution, fair, and concise.

Make this happen, and then point me at the list to sign up to be a part of the greatest merc unit ever.

#412 CoffiNail

Oathmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 4,285 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSome place with other Ghost Bears. A dropship or planet, who knows. ((Winnipeg,MB))

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:00 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 03 May 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

See Bryan has posted something new.

Reads Bryan's post.

"Ohhhh.. this is gonna be good"

Get popcorn.

Enjoy the commotion not at my expense for once.

It is all Paul's fault, he designed these rules. BURN THE WITCH!

Feel more at home now Paul?

#413 Zylo

• 1,782 posts
  • Locationunknown, possibly drunk

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:01 PM

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

I'm actually curious how many players would pay for naming rights of canon units. Sure it might upset some who joined late and wanted a name, but it would probably be a more acceptable solution to the overall population than any sort of pay-to-win.

#414 Firefly

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 757 posts
  • LocationAtlanta GA

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:02 PM

View PostAngelicon, on 03 May 2012 - 12:56 PM, said:

So I could name my merc unit "Theta Regiment" and then in my unit's writeup I can claim to be a Wolf's Dragoon's regiment.

Thanks for clarifying this stuff Bryan, and I applaud the (obvious) choice of keeping canon unit names out of players' hands.

This would lead me to believe that the answer to your question, unfortunately, is no:

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

We can't control people "claiming assocaition", however if your name implies association, it will be changed.

#415 Seth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 785 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:03 PM

Ok, I guess I should ask if the "Red Corsairs" is ok to use. Technically in the lore, the Red Corsair was a person rather than a group, it was used by two different people, and we do not intend to RP as either one of them. I guess the closest comparison I could think of that more people are familiar with is naming a unit the "Bounty Hunters" after the assassin known as the Bounty Hunter.

#416 Runz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 329 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationInternational Man of Mystery (I travel a lot)

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:04 PM

View PostFirefly, on 03 May 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

This would lead me to believe that the answer to your question, unfortunately, is no:

I think Theta Company is non-descript enough to get away with, I can bet you'd prob need a very big calculator to work out how many Theta Companies there would be in the BT universe.

#417 Tyr Gunn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 164 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:06 PM

On a side note: Thank you, Bryan, for clarifing. I hate the news, but at least my brain can start processing solutions. But you're still a jerk, how am I ever going to get any more work done now that I'm sitting here refreshing this page over and over again?

#418 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:08 PM

My understanding is .. it's impossible for a Clan "guild" to claim the name "Clan Wolf" but they could call themselves something like : " 341st Wolf cluster" ( pulling something random out of thin air here) .. showing affiliation to clan wolf but not THE wolves as a whole to themselves.

For myself as Capellan Mechwarrior, I would earn my spot in say House Hiritsu or the Death Commandos with in game achivements, granting me a special "title" to use common MMO parlance ( and perhaps even use of unit decal/ colors). Otherwise I would just be a genericmember of the CCAF.

Edit: Gah. someome posted pretty much the same thing while I was typing this out. nevermind me.

Edited by Bull Frog, 03 May 2012 - 01:08 PM.

#419 Omega59er

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 394 posts
  • LocationIndiana

"omega5-9er, on 03 May 2012 - 04:10 PM, said: Am I correct you are referring to Merc Company names as a whole and possibly not sub-groups of that company? Example: We figured this would be the case when it came to canon merc company names, so the Wolf's Dragoons groups made sure to take regimental and company names and stay away from the "Wolf's Dragoons". We should be able to just work as freelance merc companies, correct?"

View PostBryan Ekman, on 03 May 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

To use your example:

Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Orbital/Aerospace Operations Group Wolf's Dragoons Seventh Kommando Wolf's Dragoons Special Recon Group Wolf's Dragoons Support Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Fire Support Group Wolf's Dragoons Fire Support Group Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Fire Support Group Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Seventh Kommando Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Seventh Kommando Wolf's Dragoons Special Recon Group Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Fire Support Group Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Orbital/Aerospace Operations Group Wolf's Dragoons Seventh Kommando Wolf's Dragoons Special Recon Group Wolf's Dragoons Support Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Orbital/Aerospace Operations Group Wolf's Dragoons Special Recon Group Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Kerensky's Company Wolf's Dragoons Kerensky's Company Wolf's Dragoons Kerensky's Company Wolf's Dragoons Kerensky's Company Wolf's Dragoons Special Recon Group Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Fire Support Group Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Kerensky's Company Wolf's Dragoons Orbital/Aerospace Operations Group Wolf's Dragoons Seventh Kommando Wolf's Dragoons Special Recon Group Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Fire Support Group Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Kerensky's Company Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Fire Support Group Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Kerensky's Company Wolf's Dragoons Special Recon Group Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Fire Support Group Wolf's Dragoons Kerensky's Company Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Fire Support Group Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Kerensky's Company Wolf's Dragoons Orbital/Aerospace Operations Group Wolf's Dragoons Seventh Kommando Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Black Widow Company Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Alpha Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Epsilon Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Gamma Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Zeta Battalion Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Beta Regiment Wolf's Dragoons Delta Regiment

These are all reserved names. You would not be able to make a player run merc corp using these names.

You can't be part of a House Faction and a Merc Unit. A merc unit is A faction.

A requote of Mr. Ekman's reply to me on the main thread.

Edited by omega5-9er, 03 May 2012 - 01:10 PM.

#420 wwiiogre

• 1,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Idaho

Please PGI explain this topic then:

http://mwomercs.com/...0323#entry50323

and the blanket approval of PGI to these names and then also posting outside links

Chris

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users