Solo Pug Dropping

9 replies to this topic

#1 Stoindrae

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:33 AM

OK... I am not a stranger to solo pugging... as I do it about half the time that I play (850+ rounds since OB wipe). The rest of the time I duo with my bud Epiphone off our TBC Vent, or we go find a TS channel to run with a Lance.

I see a lot of people claiming that SOLO PUG DROPS the ONLY way they EVER want to play MWO... due to time constraints or shyness, etc.

I have to ask:

ARE YOU FUGGEN INSANE!??

The difference between the players on your own team are like night and day.

VoIP: At least 1-3 other pilots you can count on to work together in some sort of way.. be it calling targets for focus fire (I'm on echo!) or general battlefield information (they have a push on left).

PUG: no communication, no coordination, no focus fire... no chance

VoIP: (4-8 man) Avoids a lot of the AFK/Sucide CB grinders

PUG: 2-3 pilots scoring a -0- damage round, from DC, CTD, or AFK...

VoIP: ~200k c-bills earned per match avg (currently about a 90% win)

PUG: ~120k c-bills earned per match avg (30% wins.. maybe)

This morning I ran 5 or so PUG rounds: No one responding to any "Y" chat except one round where a clan advertised themselves with a 3 man lance, then folded like a wet napkin to the enemy... and another round where the guy that said "stick together" was the first one to leave the team behind to try and solo cap the enemy base ... /facepalm

Even after they rip the full 8 man teams out of the equation ... there will still be 2-4 person VoIP teams taking full advantage of the massive edge even the slightest tibdit of teamwork brings to a match.... So I ask again:

How could you find the PUG style matches more desirable than the VoIP style games?

Please... do explain... I am not trolling.

Edited by Stoindrae, 18 November 2012 - 11:34 AM.

#2 Wildcat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

I am a PUG for Life... and I have fun PUGGING.....

PUGs can and will be Chaotic, and win loss for the most part will be around 50/50, But one player can turn the tide of battle in this game, and more often than not you will get PUGs that will coordinate their efforts, I have fun with PUGGING in all my Games, and I do so with WoT... I do not do Platoons with WoT because when you do it adds your small group to much higher Tier Matches that you for the most part have no hope in hell.... so PUGGING/Solo is the best option for WoT and is the only way to get fairly even matches for the most part

I do think that a team of 4 Premades can be Powerful and could single handedly win the Match, however the Dev team are going to increase the teams to 12 at some point, so this will makes things a little tougher for the 4 man group, but some times all it takes is one Skilled Player to turn the time of battle and or to dismantle the 4 man group...

Edited by Wildcat, 18 November 2012 - 12:04 PM.

#3 Stoindrae

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

OK .. so you gave a reason why you prefer to PUG in WoT.

Let me be clear about what I think about that...

I don't give a flying rats arse about WoT... and I didn't ask about WoT.

Please refocus on the question and how it relates MWO, and try again.

#4 Silentium

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 629 posts
  • LocationA fortified bunker in the mojave desert.

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

I don't know man, VoIP is not really an option for me. It would be nice to have the console back though. The chat interface is slower for sure, but can still be used effectively by a dedicated commander. The problem in pugs is leadership, I.e. There is rarely any. To coordinate effectively, someone needs to take the time to type out commands, and nobody wants to do that. For a lot of players, I would be willing to bet that typing equals dying.

#5 Peally

Rookie

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

View PostStoindrae, on 18 November 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

OK .. so you gave a reason why you prefer to PUG in WoT. Let me be clear about what I think about that... I don't give a flying rats arse about WoT... and I didn't ask about WoT. Please refocus on the question and how it relates MWO, and try again.

One awesome benefit is not having to deal with people with your attitude towards a video game, for one.

#6 Wildcat

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

View PostStoindrae, on 18 November 2012 - 12:11 PM, said:

OK .. so you gave a reason why you prefer to PUG in WoT. Let me be clear about what I think about that... I don't give a flying rats arse about WoT... and I didn't ask about WoT. Please refocus on the question and how it relates MWO, and try again.

It relates to MWO because I have FUN PUGGING.........

I see no reason to Group up with anyone, there is no fun there for me I enjoy the Challenge of PUGGING and getting completely different Groups to work with

Just like WoT, I enjoy the randomness and the Chaotic groups to work with... there is no challenge with Premades, there is no fun, no randomization, and I think if I was in a Team we would win 90% of the time even vs other Premades.... and to win all the time is not fun... makes the game boring very fast...

I think my MWO Stats are very good just for PUGGING, and Like I said one player can make a Difference in battle anyway...

#7 Broceratops

• 1,903 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

i pug probably half my drops. its good to keep the skills sharp. winning with terrible odds is satisfying, although i go from i would guess 95% win to maybe 50% lol.

#8 Wildcat

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,265 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:46 PM

View PostBroceratops, on 18 November 2012 - 12:26 PM, said:

i pug probably half my drops. its good to keep the skills sharp. winning with terrible odds is satisfying, although i go from i would guess 95% win to maybe 50% lol.

Thats the funny thing with PUGGING in any game, Win/Loss will be close to 50/50, if one Win/Loss stat is much higher then its a sign that a Game is not truly Randomized or Balanced...

My WoT stats
Battles Participated:4 050
Victories:1 947 (48%)
Defeats:1 992 (49%)
Battles Survived:1 309 (32%)
Destroyed:3 909
Hit Ratio: 53%

I blame the German Tanks for my poor Survivability lol... But this is a good example of true randomization from PUGs

I have not Played WoT for like a year, till recently since the PUG vs Premades is out of control 4 weeks ago.... but I have picked WoT back up and I am spending money there, since game play is much more fair there than it is here right now... I hope the Devs will fix this Match Making system soon so that I can come back and Play...

My MWO Stats are like so

76 / 17 - Kills / Death
4.47 - Kill / Death Ratio
24 / 22 - Wins / Losses

MWO, maybe different, since one player can make a Big Difference, so the Win/Loss scale maybe high or lower on one end... but my Stats above for MWO are corrupted with the Fact that MWO has been PUGs vs Premades... so that has thrown that stat out of whack.... but once PGI fixes the Match maker, it will be interesting to see what the Stats are like at 4,000 Games

Edited by Wildcat, 18 November 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#9 OpCentar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:50 PM

Until we get some kind of duel mode I find the "lone wolf" style more appealing.

Many premades, pickups, call them as you wish have grown so dependent on focusing fire they lose easy in duels.

I have witnessed one, I say again only once has my random team been challenged to a duel. It was a few weeks ago on Forest Colony and I can't remember who were the premade which issued the challenge.

Anyways, we accepted as we had one disco and one mech short, so that was 6 vs 8. Unfortunately one of our SRM 'Cats broke the duel and things went downhill fast.

Now that's the kind of group I respect, roflstomping with focused fire I find boring and too easy.

#10 Pantherjay

• Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:06 PM

I have no problem with 8 man vs 8 man or 4 man vs 4 man with additional pug players, but if 8 man groups want to show how good they are, playing against a team of 8 unorganized players not only sounds pointless....but boring as hell. Is your e-peen so small you need to get off dominating other players that are not only not on comms, but unorganized, most likely less skilled, and in trial or other crap mechs vs mechs that have been tested and tweaked to the max.

There should be a way for groups to play matches. But PUGs are not the way for an 8 man group to feel good about themselves.

I'm new to this game. but played mechwarrior from its earliest days, and after a week or so of playing, I find the maps too small, and too predictable. Especially when an obvious group of organized players steamrolls over another team or all runs to cap in under 2 minutes, which happens frequently. 90% of my losses are vs teams that are stacked with legendary and other founding members.

Boring boring boring.

I love the idea of this game, and want to play it and enjoy it badly, but as others have said, if I want to play it, and enjoy myself, I shouldn't be forced into joining a group of other players or using comms.

In addition...............after playing against stacked founder teams tonight....8 founders vs 8 pug (thought 8 man teams were out...huh seems to happen alot...) (note to Devs............seems they've found a workaround or your matchmaker sucks big time.......) 8 founders vs 8 regular guys.... hope you founders have DEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP pockets because I will not play a game I lose 90% of the time.

Edited by Pantherjay, 20 November 2012 - 03:38 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users