So Why Do People Like The Clans?

457 replies to this topic

#1 BoerInBeton

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:28 AM

There was a time in my wayward youth when I was a Clanner at heart, but after a few years away from Battletech I've come back to this game and frankly...the clans repulse me. Institutionalised racism, caste based society, eugenics, disregard for sound military tactics... No thanks.
I'd rather be freebirth scum these days! Maybe I've grown up a bit. :D
What draws you to the Clan way?

Disclaimer: This is meant to be a lighthearted post. Please don't degenerate into flames. :)

#2 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Their power, period. Everything they have is better in every way. That is what draws people. If they say otherwise they are fibbing :).

#3 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts
  • Locationsomewhere near a bucket of water and the gates of hell.

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

View PostViper69, on 26 November 2012 - 10:33 AM, said:

Their power, period. Everything they have is better in every way. That is what draws people. If they say otherwise they are fibbing :).

in the later periods the clans aren't really any better than the Inner Sphere, in some regards their tech is actually worse.

#4 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:46 AM

The fact that skill is valued over wealth, is all i need to verify where my allegiance lies.
To the untrianed eye the clanner structure may seem like a totalitarian society, I however much prefer that strict ruleset over easily corruptable systems of power.
In real world terms, Id rather live under a vicious dictator that forbid rock n roll, than have to bear witness to the increasingly stupid masses yammering on about how free they are while enclosed in their cubicles worshipping paper notes.

#5 BoerInBeton

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

Assuming you're in the warrior caste sure. But if you're a laborer or a freebirth... At least in the sphere you can make your way up (granted it's hard, as in real life). :) Sigh. If only the Timberwolf weren't such a sexy beast!

#6 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 10:53 AM

View PostH8Bitter, on 26 November 2012 - 10:46 AM, said:

The fact that skill is valued over wealth, is all i need to verify where my allegiance lies.
To the untrianed eye the clanner structure may seem like a totalitarian society, I however much prefer that strict ruleset over easily corruptable systems of power.
In real world terms, Id rather live under a vicious dictator that forbid rock n roll, than have to bear witness to the increasingly stupid masses yammering on about how free they are while enclosed in their cubicles worshipping paper notes.

and assuming people care about what they eat for lunch

#7 Ragor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 852 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

I had quite the same experience regarding my stance towards the clans like it was described in the OP.

And today?
For me personally there is nothing more disgusting like the clans.
They are a working society among themselves, there system works for them and they are happy.
Even the lower caste are quiet happy. Very important to understand, that they are born the way they are and clanners grew up and got educated the way the clans work.
So for the clanners, no matter what caste, all is fine and nifty.

Why do won't I ever follow their idiology?
Just for one very simple reason which is the basic of mature behaviour:
Respecting others and their opinion.
The clans get back to the Inner Sphere in order to save the Inner Sphere.
Because the Clans decided the Inner Sphere needs to be saved.
The Clans decided the social system of the Inner Sphere is not good.
The Clans decided that the Inner Sphere has to follow the Clan's idiology.

The Clans decided not to ask if there 'help' is wanted.

Comparsion on private level:
When my neighbour just kicks in my door, [Redacted], takes my kids away because he thinks they need a different education and burns down my house in the end because he is sure I'd prefer the flat he prepared for me - sorry, I won't say 'thank you for your help'.

Comparsion on a national level:
When one military forces decides to invade a country to force them to change the religion/way of life/political system it is an act of pure evil - they can call it as much as they want 'this is for the sake of the nation and its inhabitants', it will always be a stance I will never be ok with.

Nobody ever has the right to decide what is good for someone else.

The Inner Sphere might as borked as hell - but it is the Inner Sphere, with their own rules and way of life.
Nobody asked for the Clans or welcomed them - but they still went on.

Edited by Egomane, 28 January 2013 - 02:43 AM.
Redacted a rather offensive part of the post

#8 BoerInBeton

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 11:51 AM

I think the original intent of the SLDF in leaving the Inner Sphere was good, but how the Clans turned out, not so much. Well said Ragor.

#9 Deedsie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 320 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

For the most part, I don't. I don't even like their omnimech designs except for the Warhawk. I DO like their weapons and their second-line units like the Highlander IIC and Stone Rhino.

#10 CeeKay Boques

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 3,371 posts
  • LocationYes

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Money and power aren't something I can get behind, but honor? I like that. Oh, and genetic superiority. Hippy in a fascist mech. Kerensky's dream twisted to perversion, and I'm Star Captain Pervy!

#11 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

View Postdal10, on 26 November 2012 - 10:35 AM, said:

in the later periods the clans aren't really any better than the Inner Sphere, in some regards their tech is actually worse.

In which way would that be?

#12 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

http://www.sarna.net...i/Stealth_Armor

as a very basic example

http://www.sarna.net...i/%27Mech_Taser

this is useful, and there is no clan version

clans have no light autocannons, or light gauss rifles, their Heavy Gauss equivalent is basically a gauss type lbx. they have no narcs or mrms. no rocket launchers, or any of a half dozen useful equipment pieces such as a ppc capacitor.

also the clans do not have bloodhound active probe tech, only beagle active.
there are other things I could add, but that is it for now.

(all info is from sarna.)

Edited by dal10, 26 November 2012 - 01:14 PM.

#13 BoerInBeton

• PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hehe Clans don't have a monopoly on honor you know... I feel I have to qualify this by saying honor =/= being stupid. But damn it all if that isn't a cool image...flowerchild Omnimech with a peace sign painted on the side. ^_^

#14 Cato Phoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Phoenix
  • The Phoenix
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:27 PM

Pretty much the hundreds of hours I spent playing mechwarrior 2.

Beyond that, I always liked the clan crusader mindset, they actually have a goal. Always thought it was unique, beyond being a mercenary or a House soldier.

I also tend to play the 'bad guys' in most games. They're always lacking people because everyone wants to be the shining gold hero.

Not me, stravags. ^_^

#15 dal10

• Survivor
  • 4,525 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

View PostCato Phoenix, on 26 November 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

Pretty much the hundreds of hours I spent playing mechwarrior 2.

Beyond that, I always liked the clan crusader mindset, they actually have a goal. Always thought it was unique, beyond being a mercenary or a House soldier.

I also tend to play the 'bad guys' in most games. They're always lacking people because everyone wants to be the shining gold hero.

Not me, stravags. ^_^

why do you think I am a liao, davions have so much polish on their mechs to make them shining white knights that it makes me sick.

#16 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

View Postdal10, on 26 November 2012 - 01:12 PM, said:

http://www.sarna.net...i/Stealth_Armor

as a very basic example

http://www.sarna.net...i/%27Mech_Taser

this is useful, and there is no clan version

clans have no light autocannons, or light gauss rifles, their Heavy Gauss equivalent is basically a gauss type lbx. they have no narcs or mrms. no rocket launchers, or any of a half dozen useful equipment pieces such as a ppc capacitor.

also the clans do not have bloodhound active probe tech, only beagle active.
there are other things I could add, but that is it for now.

(all info is from sarna.)

Cool, i honestly didnt know so thanks for the info.

#17 Blitz Krieg

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:47 PM

I just could never get over how contrived and "sci-fi" the culture was.

It like the writers thought "How do I combine all my favorite things, The Mongol Horde, Native Americans, Nazis, Knights and Klingons" into one SUPER AWESOME WARRIOR CULTURE OF AWESOMNESS.

#18 Ashla Mason

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:27 PM

I like them for a lot of reasons. For one thing, they've dedicated themselves completely as a society to efficient warfare; most combat operations between clans will be concluded in a matter of hours (in comparison a fast IS operation will take weeks) with clear cut objectives (IS forces will throw up smokes screens of BS to try and confuse their opposition).

Unlike in the inner sphere, the leadership of the clans is extremely accountable to the remainder of society; A khan who is performing poorly doesn't have the luxury of blind allegiance that Capellans or FedCom citizens give to whoever has found themselves on the throne by accident of birth and will be challenged for his position until he either proves that he is worthy or has been removed.

While people are quick to decry the "Slavery" ( :)) that exists within the clans, people tend to ignore the fact that clans have effectively eliminated homelessness and unemployment from their society by virtue of the caste system; the only people who don't are the dark caste, and that's because they have rejected clan society.

Theirs more, but for the time being I think this is a good start.

#19 Deadeye254

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:27 PM

I like the clans because of there warrior mantality, and there aditude is awsome clan Ghost Bear ftw Bad News Bears

#20 qultar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:51 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...lan-ghost-bear/

you have to see that none of the groups are flawless

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users