703 replies to this topic

#641 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 December 2014 - 07:21 AM

Hunchbacks are pretty mean playing defense in CW. I think a solid defense deck would be three Hunchbacks and a brawler assault.

Start with the P and keep it alive as long as you can, then move to the H with its good ammo endurance, and when that falls break out the G and mop guys up with the AC20. And in the final minutes you can drop a fresh assault.

#642 ShadowbaneX

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 December 2014 - 06:31 AM

View PostTripleEhBeef, on 12 December 2014 - 07:21 AM, said:

Start with the P and keep it alive as long as you can, then move to the H with its good ammo endurance, and when that falls break out the G and mop guys up with the AC20. And in the final minutes you can drop a fresh assault.

I'm playing mine a bit differently (going with a mix of mediums & heavies), but I definitely think that having an AC/20 mech is useful, but ammo endurance is a bit of an issue. 3 tons with the std 250 just seems to be insufficient. Any thoughts on where to find room for a 4th ton?

Also, given that a lot of people seem to like legging mechs stripping armour off the RA (which usually falls off when the hunch goes) to cover up the legs seems like a good idea.

#643 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 13 December 2014 - 07:53 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 13 December 2014 - 06:31 AM, said:

I'm playing mine a bit differently (going with a mix of mediums & heavies), but I definitely think that having an AC/20 mech is useful, but ammo endurance is a bit of an issue. 3 tons with the std 250 just seems to be insufficient. Any thoughts on where to find room for a 4th ton?

Not specifically for CW, but I've been running my G with just two Medlasers (head and l-arm) and stuffing in a 4th chunk of ammo that way. I use a 255STD (as I had one handy), and shave the right arm and a teensy bit off the legs.

#644 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 13 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 13 December 2014 - 06:31 AM, said:

Also, given that a lot of people seem to like legging mechs stripping armour off the RA (which usually falls off when the hunch goes) to cover up the legs seems like a good idea.
'm using the STD 200 in my build, so I have something like 5.5 tons of AC20 ammo (38 shots IIRC). On defense, the lower speed isn't much of a liability.

Actually, I store that half ton and my MG ammo in the RA. I usually don't lose my RT early on, so I found that it works out well.

Edited by TripleEhBeef, 13 December 2014 - 03:41 PM.

#645 Hex Pallett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,009 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationHomeless, in the streets of Solaris 7

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:35 PM

I might need to update the Grid Iron build....

#646 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 14 December 2014 - 06:23 PM

So does anyone have any builds that take advantage of the AC10 quirk for the 4H? Best I've got is this: HBK-4H
Basically helmstif's original build but with AC10 instead of 20 and a head mlas instead of small (and some more armor). Looks pretty underwhelming on paper, I know, but the fast firing AC10 really deals quite a lot of damage and 3 meds is good support. Smalls are just their for finishing things off up close. I might try 5 mlas but frankly it looks way too hot.

Really want to get a 4G now that its got the AC20 quirks...

#647 oldradagast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:07 AM

View PostOp4blushift, on 14 December 2014 - 06:23 PM, said:

So does anyone have any builds that take advantage of the AC10 quirk for the 4H? Best I've got is this: HBK-4H
Basically helmstif's original build but with AC10 instead of 20 and a head mlas instead of small (and some more armor). Looks pretty underwhelming on paper, I know, but the fast firing AC10 really deals quite a lot of damage and 3 meds is good support. Smalls are just their for finishing things off up close. I might try 5 mlas but frankly it looks way too hot.

Really want to get a 4G now that its got the AC20 quirks...

Not bad... I drop 1 small laser for an extra 1/2 ton of AC10 ammo and add the AC10 cool-down module. That means I can go through ammo fast in a brawl while dishing out damage.

#648 Inflatable Fish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 563 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

the Grid Iron does the AC/10 better than the "dedicated" 4H. just sayin'.

#649 Johnny Two Legs

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 07:39 PM

View PostInflatable Fish, on 15 December 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:

the Grid Iron does the AC/10 better than the "dedicated" 4H. just sayin'.

Depends on your version of better:
GI with AC10 - +25% cool down
4H with AC10 - +20% range, +20% cool down

You lose 5% cool down but gain 20% range using the 4H.

J2L

#650 Op4blushift

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 149 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 15 December 2014 - 08:21 PM

View PostJohnny Two Legs, on 15 December 2014 - 07:39 PM, said:

Depends on your version of better:
GI with AC10 - +25% cool down
4H with AC10 - +20% range, +20% cool down

You lose 5% cool down but gain 20% range using the 4H.

J2L

I don't have a GI, but that extra range is a real help and more than worth an extra 5% of cool down imo.
Also, ended up buying a 4G with cbills from the challenge, will probably end up getting a 4J at this rate just for the sake of completeness (dunno about the GI, that gauss cool down looks insane though)

#651 Cellinor

• PipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • 76 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 10:29 PM

I had a real bad experience with the Grid Iron and its hunch after I purchased it earlier this year so I did not buy any others. With the quirk system I am thinking of grabbing 2 more. I know I am getting the "P" variant but can not decide on my 3rd.

If I take advantage of the quirks then I am switching my GI to a Guass from AC20.

That means I could go 4G or if I wanted I could go 4SP.

Thoughts?

#652 Thunderchild

• PipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 49 posts
  • LocationCroatia

Posted 18 December 2014 - 02:57 AM

View PostCellinor, on 17 December 2014 - 10:29 PM, said:

I had a real bad experience with the Grid Iron and its hunch after I purchased it earlier this year so I did not buy any others. With the quirk system I am thinking of grabbing 2 more. I know I am getting the "P" variant but can not decide on my 3rd.

If I take advantage of the quirks then I am switching my GI to a Guass from AC20.

That means I could go 4G or if I wanted I could go 4SP.

Thoughts?

Posted Image

I started recently with hunchies and I got 4G and 4P for now, 4SP and 4H are next, I'm gonna skip on 4J since I already have a dedicated Cat LRM boat.

Depending if you are building mech for regular drop or community warfare you can even sometimes drop the engine (for example the 4H I plan to use is STD 225 with 6 tons of ammo, AC10, 3 Meds and 10 DHS, Endo) to cram in extra ammo because depending if you are on def or not an extra ton or two sometimes really helps.

All in all the 4G is my favourite for now since you gotta love the fear in enemies eyes when you turn the corner and get that AC20 easily in the spot you want it to.

#653 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 18 December 2014 - 06:00 AM

Just to add to the whole engine debate, ever since quirks I've switched most of my Hunchback builds to Standard 225 engines (GI, 4G and 4H). Sure the speed from a standard 250 is nice but with increased fire rates and considering that the hunch is now 30 pts tougher I prefer the extra ammunition.

In my attempt to change up my builds I play tested engines from the stock 200 engine up to the 250 which was my baseline. 215 felt acceptable in some cases (the Can-Openner HBK-4G runs fine with it) but for me it was really the absolute lowest I would go with a Hunchies engine. A 225 nets you just over 80 kph and lets you pack on quite a bit of weaponary while maintaining above average torso twist speeds and decent general movement speed.

Of course, you may prefer more speed or more weaponary/equipment.

#654 JayVrb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 507 posts

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:19 PM

I will give a shout out to the good ol' 4SP. I ran this build back in closed beta and had always liked it. Though, with the roller coaster that SRMs went through over the months, it had its ups and downs. However, with the new quirks you can fire those 6's o0ber fast now. Here's some screenies from a good match i recently had.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#655 Turpis

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:53 AM

I just started playing MWO and and currently running a 4H with the AC/20. I'm currently looking to buy my second Hunchback but I'm kinda split between the 4S http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f59d873c15dfaea and 4G http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c110132cfab70c with the following builds. Can anyone make recommendations? Thanks.

Sorry, don't know how to make links pretty.

Edited by Turpis, 23 December 2014 - 12:53 AM.

#656 eFTy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 296 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:54 AM

Frankly, get all of them. They each specialize nicely into different styles of fighting.

As for which to get first, since you have a 4H already, go for the 4P. I'd recommend holding off the ER PPCs until you get the Elite skills done. Then you might want to try the 4SP or 4J, depending on which type of missiles you prefer.

#657 ShadowbaneX

• 1,089 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:01 AM

View PostTurpis, on 23 December 2014 - 12:53 AM, said:

I just started playing MWO and and currently running a 4H with the AC/20. I'm currently looking to buy my second Hunchback but I'm kinda split between the 4S http://mwo.smurfy-ne...f59d873c15dfaea and 4G http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9c110132cfab70c with the following builds. Can anyone make recommendations? Thanks.

Sorry, don't know how to make links pretty.

The whole quirk thing aside you need at least 10 heat sinks to launch a mech, so your 4G build just won't work. It's also a little light on the ammo. You could drop it down to a STD 200 and lose the ML in the RA, to add a pair of heat sinks and half a ton of armour back on.

The 4P...yeah, I've always hated the 4P, so I can't really give any comments other than never, ever alpha strike with that thing. I mean, it's no Nova, but it's close.

#658 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 23 December 2014 - 07:38 AM

I recently repurchased a 4P for fun since I sold mine way before quirks and I was curious about how it runs now. It was my least favorite HBK and it probably still is but its a really fun ride that requires more heat management than any other HBK.

Just group your lasers intelligently and practice some firing discipline and you've got a mean little medium mech.

#659 TripleEhBeef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 700 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:25 AM

View PostShadowbaneX, on 23 December 2014 - 07:01 AM, said:

The 4P...yeah, I've always hated the 4P, so I can't really give any comments other than never, ever alpha strike with that thing. I mean, it's no Nova, but it's close.

I alpha pretty regularly with the 4P, either when I'm in a position to easily disengage and cool off, or when the guy in front of me absolutely, positively needs to be reduced to melted scrap metal, Ghost Heat be dammned!

Of course I have other, more heat conscious weapon groups.

#660 Nightmare1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:23 AM

As a major Hunchback fan, I recommend the 4H, 4G, 4P, and GI chassis. The 4H AC/10 quirks are interesting, but my favorite build for it is an AC/20 and three MPLs. It hits enemies like a Mack Truck!

The 4G I kept in the classic config with an AC/20, three MLs, and twin MGs for critting. Though not as effective as the AC/20 4H build, it is still a lot of fun. The new AC/20 quirks make it even more deadly than before.

The 4P is possibly my favorite at this time. I run six MLs and three MPLs on it to great effect. It is one of the best skirmishing Mechs, I think, in the game, while also lending itself to a lot of fun troll builds (like nine flamers). One of the most fun and diverse energy boats in the game, the 4P is really a blast to play! I have also tried the PPC builds and found those quite enjoyable too.

The GI is an odd beast that I can't seem to quite figure out what to do with it. Every time I find a build I like, PGI nerfs the centerpiece weapon or changes up its quirks. I have tried the 4H build I mentioned previously and found it useful, if repetitive. I also tried a UAC/5+AC/5 build that was a lot of fun. Currently, I have it stored in the garage under a tarp until I decide what to build it into next.

The 4SP makes a nasty skirmisher, but I personally dislike it. For one, it's not really a Hunchie in my book since it lacks the RT hunch I've come to know and love. It also can only mount twin SRM systems which makes it underwhelming as an SRM boat. It does have a lot of energy hardpoints which is nice, but it runs pretty hot; hotter, I think, than my 4P. In the end, whenever I pilot it, I get the sense that I'm running a 4P without the hunch and with SRMs in my chest. I also find an Excel as a much-needed addition to it, which makes it considerably more fragile than my other Mechs.

I do not own a 4J and am not sure if I ever will. I dislike LRM boats and am not really interested in owning a Medium Mech designed for LRM'ing.

I hope some of y'all find this post helpful! Check out my Twitch and YouTube Channels on my Profile Page for more HBK goodness! There's even a vid posted there of a 1000+ damage round in a GI... :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users