14 replies to this topic

#1 Strum Wealh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 02:12 PM

So, we know from Ask the Devs 19 that one of the planned variants for the Spider is the SDR-5K, which will have at least one Ballistic hardpoint in each arm.

So, going off of the minimum required hardpoints for the -5K (1 Ballistic in each arm, 1 Energy in the CT), I bring you the Davionized (because the AFFS loves its ACs :D) -5K... henceforth known as "the DakkaSpider"!

Chassis: Spider
Variant: SDR-5K
tonnage: 30.00

Engine: 180 XL
Cruising Speed: 65 kph
Maximum Speed: 97 kph
Jump Jets: 2

Heat Sinks: 10 Standard
Structure: Endo Steel
Armor: Ferro-Fibrous (108 pts)
x2 CASE (LT, RT)

x2 AC/2 (RA, LA) w/ x2 AC/2 ammo (RA, LA)
x1 Medium Laser** (CT)

**may be substituted for one Small Pulse Laser, or two Small Lasers if there are more Energy hardpoints

Your thoughts?

*sigh*
And, yes, one could strip the weapons and Jump Jets, and mount a Gauss Rifle to create a "GaussSpider"... :ph34r:

Edited by Strum Wealh, 01 December 2012 - 03:43 AM.

#2 Alphascrub

• PipPipPip
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

lol @ the GaussSpider, I cant see it carrying much ammo. Might be kinda fun tho lol.

#3 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

2 ac2s with only 10 heatsinks? You're not going to be able to maintain the dakka for long.

#4 Ashnod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 30 November 2012 - 04:05 PM

Why 2 jump jets when you only need 1 currently? granted that might change before the release of the spider, also why CASE when your putting your ammo in the arms? (case only protects from ammo explosions in the location it is placed in)

#5 Stingz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  • Location*SIGNAL LOST*

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

IS CASE only really stops L/RT ammo explosion damage from reaching the CT, side torsos still get blown out.

#6 Carrioncrows

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 2,949 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

I think your doing a dis-service to the spider to do that.

Rolling an AC-10 might be a different story.

But honestly you need the speed.

Also keep in mind we have the BlackJack coming as well that that bad boy is built for sniping.

#7 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts
  • LocationFree Tikonov Republic

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:06 AM

Terrible armor, needs DHS, very slow for its mass... it's a gimmick, and not a good one.

#8 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:37 AM

I like the concept. Sounds fun, though it really might not be THAT successful. :)

And the name rules!

#9 shabowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 03:04 AM

View PostStingz, on 30 November 2012 - 05:37 PM, said:

IS CASE only really stops L/RT ammo explosion damage from reaching the CT, side torsos still get blown out.

Don't believe clan case did either, case II mitigated damage I thought. Clan case was just free tonnage wise and could be in places other than torso I thought.

Edited by shabowie, 01 December 2012 - 03:05 AM.

#10 Strum Wealh

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 5,025 posts
  • LocationPittsburgh, PA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 04:22 AM

View PostAshnod, on 30 November 2012 - 04:05 PM, said:

Why 2 jump jets when you only need 1 currently? granted that might change before the release of the spider, also why CASE when your putting your ammo in the arms? (case only protects from ammo explosions in the location it is placed in)
I do expect the Jump Jet issue to change eventually (sooner rather than later, I hope).

As for the CASE:
I was under the impression that damage transfer had been instituted, so that an ammo explosion in the arm could spread damage to the corresponding side-torso..
With an XL engine and relatively light armor (roughly 50% of its potential maximum), the DakkaSpider would be finished if either the side-torso were destroyed.
In theory, the CASE in either side-torso, while not preventing defeat if the side-torsos are breached, would keep the damage from spreading further; it is (in theory?) a method of mitigating the repair costs.

View PostLefty Lucy, on 01 December 2012 - 02:06 AM, said:

Terrible armor, needs DHS, very slow for its mass... it's a gimmick, and not a good one.
The DakkaSpider has one open critical left (none if dual lasers are available) and three HS outside of the Engine, so DHS is not an option.

At 97 kph (the same as an unmodified Commando (five tons lighter) or Raven (five tons heavier), and ~82% that of an unmodified Jenner (five tons heavier)), the DakkaSpider is still respectably fast for a Light 'Mech - especially one that is carrying 50% of its total tonnage in weaponry.

Granted, it is light on armor... but concessions had to be made somewhere. :)
Though, the DakkaSpider does have a potential speed and/or range advantage against a fair number of other 'Mechs, and a potential 8 DPS from a range where few can effectively respond is naught to sneeze at... and if one is in the middle of a burly brawl with it, one is very clearly doing something wrong, yes?

#11 MungFuSensei

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 254 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

One thing to keep in mind is that if it is as tiny as the commando, good luck trying to snipe back at it from extreme ranges. Also, good luck trying to aim those AC2s at high speed. Ballistics are hell while trying to run and gun.

#12 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

View PostStrum Wealh, on 01 December 2012 - 04:22 AM, said:

I do expect the Jump Jet issue to change eventually (sooner rather than later, I hope).

As for the CASE:
I was under the impression that damage transfer had been instituted, so that an ammo explosion in the arm could spread damage to the corresponding side-torso..
With an XL engine and relatively light armor (roughly 50% of its potential maximum), the DakkaSpider would be finished if either the side-torso were destroyed.
In theory, the CASE in either side-torso, while not preventing defeat if the side-torsos are breached, would keep the damage from spreading further; it is (in theory?) a method of mitigating the repair costs.

The DakkaSpider has one open critical left (none if dual lasers are available) and three HS outside of the Engine, so DHS is not an option.

At 97 kph (the same as an unmodified Commando (five tons lighter) or Raven (five tons heavier), and ~82% that of an unmodified Jenner (five tons heavier)), the DakkaSpider is still respectably fast for a Light 'Mech - especially one that is carrying 50% of its total tonnage in weaponry.

Granted, it is light on armor... but concessions had to be made somewhere. :lol:
Though, the DakkaSpider does have a potential speed and/or range advantage against a fair number of other 'Mechs, and a potential 8 DPS from a range where few can effectively respond is naught to sneeze at... and if one is in the middle of a burly brawl with it, one is very clearly doing something wrong, yes?

The commando is also ridiculously slow for a light mech, so no, it's not respectably fast. You're probably not even getting a single ton of weight savings with FF. I'd drop the ML, and FF, to upgrade to DHS, but even then it won't be a good mech.

#13 Lefty Lucy

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 3,924 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Do a 240 XL, a single AC2 w/ 2 tons of ammo, 2x ML, DHS, endo, and a single JJ, and you're looking at something that won't be *good* but will at least be *useable*.

#14 Kasiagora

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 620 posts
  • LocationIf not the mechbay then the battlefield!

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:54 PM

It's a pipe dream, I know, but I'd like flamers and machine guns to be fixed by the time the Spider comes out. In lieu of getting the Stinger or Wasp I'd like to make some Spiders into something comparable to an overweight WSP-1D or STG-3R.

#15 Irreverence

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

With the jumpjet fix, I don't think two will do much.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users