Projectiles Do Not Do Concentrated Damage Anymore

153 replies to this topic

Poll: Projectiles implicit damage spread (134 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you think this mechanics is viable?

1. No (114 votes [85.07%])

Percentage of vote: 85.07%

2. Yes (20 votes [14.93%])

Percentage of vote: 14.93%

Vote

#141 Travers

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 65 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:20 AM

hmmm, explains why my atlas K with twin ERPPCs and a Gauss just wasn't doing the focused damage it used to. I was thinking of swtiching from Gauss to AC/20 becuase of the new 'glass cannon' update but now it seems that AC/20's are spreading damage in only a slightly tighter area than the LBX. Unless the round for the AC/20 is the size of a small car*, this is very wrong.

So, the above combined with ECM killing off the LRMs and SRMS spreading out like a blunderbuss, I'll probably go back to a laserboat Awsome... or go buy Black Ops II...

*sigh*

*Actualy, I wouldn't mind a Yugo / VW Golf launcher in the RT of my Atlas.

#142 Banditman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationThe Templars

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

View PostKrivvan, on 06 December 2012 - 09:19 AM, said:

I think spreading out the damage actually makes lights far weaker. Few people are able to actually consistently land hits on a single part of a moving light mech (blame lagshield if you desire). Having the spread means that you're more likely to actually destroy a single already damaged component of a light mech rather than having to work through every part of it.

Basically, if I had a red critical side torso in a Jenner before, then I still wouldn't care because it's unlikely anyone will get another shot on that torso. Now I'd be even more scared of streaks and ballistics putting out just enough damage to destroy that spot.

Or, they could fix the netcode so that when you hit a light, it actually does damage . . . that'd be neat to test out . . .

Edited by Banditman, 06 December 2012 - 09:22 AM.

#143 Krivvan

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 4,318 posts
  • LocationUSA/Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:25 AM

In any case, this isn't like the introduction of a new mechanic. It was there all along.

And to play devil's advocate (or not really, since I don't have an opinion on this matter), there are others on other forums (Reddit, etc.) that say that this change is positive since it means a return to Battletech rather than modern FPS games.

Edited by Krivvan, 06 December 2012 - 09:26 AM.

#144 DegeneratePervert

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts
  • LocationKansas

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:33 AM

I have not noticed spread on my Gauss Cataphract, or my AC/20 catapult.

#145 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:36 AM

You guys are just noticing this now?

#146 Undead Bane

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostTruePoindexter, on 06 December 2012 - 09:36 AM, said:

You guys are just noticing this now?

It just got worse after last patch (more likely after previous one).
Though, conditions for this to happen will be tested more properly.

Edited by Undead Bane, 06 December 2012 - 09:45 AM.

#147 TruePoindexter

• 2,605 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Location127.0.0.1

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostUndead Bane, on 06 December 2012 - 09:43 AM, said:

It just got worse after last patch.
Though, conditions for this to happen will be tested more properly.

I've noticed myself it creep up each patch. It kind of makes sense with the sheer size of an AC20 shell. Concentrated damage kills fast in any MW based game so spreading out that massive burst damage helps keep the weapon from being an insta-kill stick.

Plus with the coming AC buffs we will probably be seeing AC10s and AC20s a lot more.

#148 Viper69

• 4,204 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:48 AM

View PostBitslizer, on 06 December 2012 - 07:42 AM, said:

I was playing Dual AC20 cat last night and I did not notice "damage spread" if i'm single firing them. So from my own test I did not see damage spread

Well we are going to try controlled testing on static targets. Whatever the findings I will try to post tonight or tommorow what we found or someone in our drop will. Do some testing too everyone else, dont get pissed off till you have tested it (you meaning everyone not the quoted person)

#149 Alex Wolfe

• 2,359 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:50 AM

I've yet to test this mechanic, but... seriously, another fundamental change just slipped in, without telling anyone in the patchnotes?

PGI, you call this a "beta", any chance we could be treated like testers then and not children, and told what is there new to test, instead of being kept in the dark about half the changes? Is this a case of chronic internal miscommunication, or are you keeping things under wraps "for our own good" (people learn anyway)?

So... tired.

Edited by Alex Wolfe, 06 December 2012 - 09:52 AM.

#150 Gunny McDuck

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 142 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 December 2012 - 09:59 AM

I have confirmed from MWO Support that they have introduced damage "spread" into the AC/20 round.

No, a thousand times no.

Its a d-a-m-n-e-d bullet, unless I shoot you in the joint, it should limit damage to 1 armor section.

And not calling this out in the patch notes? Really?

#151 Gunny McDuck

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 142 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:46 AM

It is a projectile.

According to SARNA, the AC/20 is a HEAP weapon.....so whatever......

Either way, it would be the same concept of kill radius vs. damage/wound radius.

But why did they change this, and why didn't they tell us?

The reason I run a toe-to-toe brawler Atlas is that inside of 270 meters, I'm heavily armored and extremely deadly.

I got pretty good at hitting lights on the run and being able to put that round right where I want it in between 3x SRM6 barrages and the dual Medium Laser strikes when attacking larger/slower mechs.

It was/is such a powerful single point of damage that it would often be the coup de grâce that would put an opposing mech down....

I'm going to suggest that is exactly what it is supposed to do.

WTF?

#152 OneManWar

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:50 AM

Have any of you thought that maybe it only spreads when you land a shot "on the line" between torso sections? I use an AC/20 on my Cataphract and Hunchie and even last night I never really noticed hitting multiple sections on a fresh mech.

#153 Cerlin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 922 posts
  • LocationCalifornia or Japan

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:51 AM

Thanks for all the cataloging and research on this topic OP. I love autocannons but I have also noticed they do not have the "finisher" feeling that they did in early beta and pretty much every other MW game ever. This is very disappointing, though it does make the LBX10 more useful since the autocannons are doing the same thing anyhow. I would understand if they made the weapon convergence on multiple projectile weapons more spread ot prevent alphas but this ninja nerf to an already weak weapon system just pains me.

#154 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

Uhmm... there was no such change made.

I am going to look into why you're being told that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users