Preferred Mechwarrior Online Payment Model

36 replies to this topic

Poll: MWO Payment Model Preferences (159 member(s) have cast votes)

What payment method would you prefer for MechWarrior Online

1. Free to Play (69 votes [41.57%])

Percentage of vote: 41.57%

2. One-time Fee (56 votes [33.73%])

Percentage of vote: 33.73%

3. Monthly Subscription (41 votes [24.70%])

Percentage of vote: 24.70%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Vagabond Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  • LocationKansas City, USA

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

Does anyone wish that MechWarrior Online would just require everyone to pay a $60 one-time fee to play the game, like Star Citizen will do, or like Guild Wars does, and then just get all the normal functionality that a game should have, like changing your mech's colors and camouflage patterns? We might even be able to avoid most of the unnecessary grind that way.

It just seems like this game has come to the point where I feel like it's the 1960's when you had to pay money to use the bathroom. Being required to pay money to color your mech is beyond ridiculous. If everyone ponying up to pay $60 to play the game would stop the silliness, then I'm all for it.

Be curious to see what everyone else thinks.

Edited by Vagabond Nomad, 06 December 2012 - 06:51 PM.

#2 Vagabond Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:45 PM

Wow - I really find it surprising that nobody would be willing to shell out a mere $60 to avoid all of the terrible downsides of a free-to-play game. I have to be honest, MechWarrior is my first free-to-play game, and is very likely my last. Although I love MechWarrior, this free-to-play model is for the birds, and I'll NEVER do it again.

I would much rather shell out $60 bucks and get a complete game, than being nickled and dimed to death on every standard feature the game should already have.

Color me not impressed with the free-to-play model.

#3 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:48 PM

I have played many other Free to Play games and have always been satisfied with what I received for my money (which in many cases was $0, I was satisfied with the bottom tier free stuff) but MWO has a steeper, more "money-grabbing" level of paid content/costs.

#4 Daekar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,214 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

I cannot fathom why the industry moved away from subscriptions... it was constant cash for devs and high quality content for players. And especially when F2P gives such a comparatively poor value per dollar... why would players support such a transition? Are we that stupid?

#5 The Silent Protagonist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 647 posts
  • LocationUK, Buckinghamshire

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:58 PM

Honestly, so long as it's not monthly subscription, I don't care. I, personally, like the current model they're using. Sure, things are a bit pricey in places, but hey, it's early days yet.

View PostDaekar, on 06 December 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

I cannot fathom why the industry moved away from subscriptions... it was constant cash for devs and high quality content for players. And especially when F2P gives such a comparatively poor value per dollar... why would players support such a transition? Are we that stupid?

Yeah, sure they get the money constantly, but monthly subscriptions for on-off players like me just take the ****, and it gets a hell of a lot more expensive than necessary.

#6 CDLord HHGD

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,190 posts
  • Location"You're not comp if you're not stock."

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

I checked all three :D. I do think that a monthly sub giving xp and cb bonuses would be good along side a ftp model without those bonuses (like premium time, only I don;t have to go buy MC, then buy PT with MC. Anyways.....

I also clicked one-time because I bought the lifetime to STO and it has been awesome.

Give us ALL THE OPTIONS! ;)

#7 MrPenguin

• The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 1,815 posts
  • LocationSudbury, Ontario

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:02 PM

Guild wars 1 and 2 are still categorized as free2play games because they both have cash shops.

#8 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:03 PM

I would gladly give them any amount of money they wished and even donate more for expansions rather than having them knee cap my experience and demand a few dollars here and a few dollars there to make the pain go away.

#9 Adrienne Vorton

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • LocationBerlin/ Germany

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:31 PM

free to play, but i wish they would overthink their pricings... i´d also be all for a monthly fee ( maybe a lower-average price like 8 - 10 $) , but i know that it won´t pay out on the long run... the gaming world is already poisoned by the " i want it for free" spirit, there is a 90% chance for a sub based game to fail nowadays... 1 time purchase? won´t survive below 2 million sold copies...that´s the main reason WHY they chose F2P in the first place

Edited by Adrienne Vorton, 06 December 2012 - 02:32 PM.

#10 Clay Pigeon

• Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:33 PM

Haha! Checkboxes!

I voted for all three!

#11 gregsolidus

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:34 PM

Most subscription based games are also wow ripoffs too.

#12 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:39 PM

View PostDaekar, on 06 December 2012 - 01:54 PM, said:

It's easy - not many games can support a large enough subscription population to be profitable.

Gamers these days are fickle, they move from game to game, leaving only the hardcore fans to pay their monthly subs - and it's usually not enough unless you have a runaway success like WoW.

The alternative is to use those fickle gamers; to let them play for free but try to get them to pay for *something* while they're here.

Also, a lot of P2P games go to so-called freemium models when populations dwindle; a free-to-play part, and a subscription part with added benefits, and a cash shop for everyone to buy things. It's a very popular and very successful method. See e.g. Lord of the Rings Online, Champions Online, Star Trek Online, Age of Conan, Dungeons & Dragons Online - all originally pay-to-play, now freemium.

MWO has a freemium model off the bat; you can play for free, and you can sub for added XP/CB. There's also the cash shop in which to spend money. The model is tested and true, and while things like pricing can always be debated, it's a very effective method to generate revenue.

Edited by stjobe, 06 December 2012 - 02:40 PM.

#13 Sikosis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 210 posts
  • LocationLake Ozark, Mo

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

you neglect to realize that MechWarrior tried to raise the capital to start this as a complete AAA title, there were also attempts to solicit funding for a subscription based model. . . both failed. So the only avenue that provided any hope of the franchise getting off the ground was F2P. Gotta deal with what you were given, unless there are any recluse billionaire mech warrior fans out there, we're F2P and all that involves. . . I voted for none of the above btw.

#14 Vagabond Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:53 PM

If PGI tried to raise money before going to free-to-play, I was unaware of it. I guess they didn't do a very good job of reaching out to people.

#15 AC

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

For the majority of us here, we already paid

#16 Sen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

As far as I'm concerned, premium time on a monthly basis is close enough to subscription based to me. The only difference I see, and it's a positive, is that it doesn't auto-renew on a monthly basis, which means if I have a chunk of the month I'm going to be unable to play, i can bank my MC for later.

And I also was not aware of any other attempts by PGI to fund this game in any other way. Founder's was the first i'd heard of any of it, and you can see by my tag how I felt about it.

Edited by Sen, 06 December 2012 - 07:15 PM.

#17 Green Mamba

• Shredder
  • 1,659 posts
  • LocationNC,United States

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

Were they not trying to get a Retail publisher at one time? I know the Harmony gold mess probably did not help though

#18 River Walker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 836 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:34 PM

I like to see Monthly Subscription with MC buys.
Something along the line of EVE 19$ per Month and MC Card buy with a MWO store with Mechs and other goody .
Never been a big fan of F2P because thy all ways end up with the Lock Box and then you see the dame things all over the place and monthly deal for key to open the dame box's up.
F2P really is not F2P if you want to play more than a few Days or Weeks,after that its pay up or get your A$$ handed to you until you do.
Not complaining that's just the reality of so call F2P game on net land

#19 yashmack

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 802 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 07:47 PM

you need to add the option of free to play with an optional monthly subscription
15 a month for premium time for the whole month and 500MC every month
I would pay for that, just like star trek online

#20 Vagabond Nomad

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:21 AM

What's interesting is that the votes are evenly split between those who would pay something, versus those who prefer the free-to-play model.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users