Cataphract X4 Build "the Shotgun"

12 replies to this topic

#1 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:35 AM

Though known for their strict political orthodoxy, the Sword of Light units have a high degree of flexibility when it comes to modifying standard designs. One such mech is the "shotgun" variant of the CTF-4X Cataphract. The original, one of the mothballed prototypes, was captured during a raid against the Davion world of New Home. Initial tests told the Combine engineers what House Davion already knew; the X4 variant was less that effective. While it could engage over several range brackets, the combination of a large laser, twin AC/5s and a small LRM laucher was deemed too unfocused. It was decided to re-engineer the mech as a close support unit.

The first step was to completely pull apart the mech and build a new internal structure using endo-steel. Two LB-10X cannons would then be mounted, along with smaller support weapons; two medium lasers, a Streak-2, and an AMS system. This design ran into problems almost immediatly. The new, bulkier structure blocked the feed mechanism to one of the ammo bins, forcing the design to loose a full ton of autocannon munitions. Tests showed that against small targets, which was one of the focus objectives of the mech, it was difficult to target with the torso-mounted medium lasers, and the Streak SRM was, in the words of the test pilot "more of an insult than an injury".

The second redesign was much more radical. The lasers were dropped in favor of two arm-mounted machineguns. ComStar agents were able to obtain records showing that the engineers submitted protests in writing demanding they not be held accountable, but the refit went through as demanded. The Streak was also dropped in favor of the more common SRM4. This resulting design was a surprising success. The machineguns acted as a sort of continuous iron-sights targeting system for the LB-10X, making it highly effective against light mechs, and loading the smaller machinegun ammo into the fourth AC magazine solved the munition feed problem. While only marginally more damaging than a Streak, the SRM4 proved to be more effective when used to 'brawl' heavier mechs.

Finally, the design, being based around low-heat weapons, has an incredible heat-loss of 82% above nominal. Its two primary flaws are endemic to the base design - the X4 is slow, with a top speed of only 48kph, and it lacks containment systems for its munitions. However, the design also mounts the maximum amount of armor for its model, making penetration of the design a difficult endeavor.

Edited by SwordofLight, 09 December 2012 - 03:48 PM.

#2 Loqgar

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:56 AM

I love this, lol

#3 VirtualSmitty

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 528 posts
  • LocationHilton Head, Holy Terra

Posted 09 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

Well written!

#4 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:41 AM

Thank you - I was a little surprised by how much of a jump the second build was in effectiveness. Its almost a zero-sum trade - the SRM4 making up for the loss of the MLs. You loose a chunk of range, but I built this with a brawler in mind, so range isnt as much of an issue. When I ran it, though - I started racking up kills, which was a struggle with both the stock X4 and my first build. Its tricky to run - you really have to stay with the pack, or its pretty easy to get killed. This makes it particular difficult to play on an open map like Caustic - if the group you're with moves into an open stretch, you're basically unarmed - but its very effective on City. So you either stick with a group, or you sit back and ambush - one on one, anything other than an Atlas is at least even odds. Its slow, which makes dueling lights tricky, but it also forces you to stay back simply because you really cant do much in the way of charging when you only go 30 miles per hour.

-Don

Edited by SwordofLight, 09 December 2012 - 11:41 AM.

#5 Teh Zig

• Pip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:35 AM

This is an excellent build, you've saved my X4 from the scrap yard with this. I've tried outfitting him with just about everything, and couldn't seem to find anything that really worked, or gave it a purpose. Also, excelent little story about the build!

#6 Hammerhai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 12:45 AM

Can I encourage you to contribute some fan fiction? You have teh writes. Use it.

#7 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

I applaude your stile. I like it realy. Nice job with picturing the effects of Endosteel on a already existing construction and the critic of Mechwarriors of the SSRM2. :wub:

Though there are some Issues I don't concur with. :)
May I inject ( besides encuragement for more fan fiction) some BT related issues to be taken under your considderation next time ?

- First and foremost the LB-X Autocannon isn't considdered short range by BT canon.
The original trick of the LB-X was that it was able to "focus" its blast according to range.
So the shotgun like rounds would reach their ideal spread rate at target range.
Range of 540 Meters isn't realy short in BT. ( I know it is hillarious )
Next remember the LB-Xs Ammo could be switched from HE to FRAG.

- Torso mounted weapons aren't "fixed" in BT they are able to trak targets in a limited fashion.
(focus lenses for lasers or coils for Gauss and PPC, bearings for AC)

- A design with ammunition dependant weapons only would be considered second line by any sane inner sphere general. Ammunition for newly rediscovered weapons like the LB-X will be scarce and costly.

- Last remember there will soon be a time when ammunition isn't for free anymore (no 75% ammunition treshhold)

Again ceep it up. BT stuff is a hard field to be creative on because there is already so much lore.

#8 sh4rpedge

• PipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 81 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:45 AM

Nice setup, gonna try that later with my 4X :)

#9 Lambulance

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 01:56 AM

You're talented! I almost thought you copied and pasted it from somewhere until I saw no links.

#10 KerenskyClone

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:00 AM

Nice writeup.....for Kurita scum....:)

#11 Tenzan

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:05 AM

Nicely written :)

I've tried a few builds for the 4X and couldn't settle on anything I was really happy with, then one of our outfit suggested the twin LB 10-X as I run a K2 with it that's pretty effective. This is no different and works surprisingly well. My build definitely isn't optimal, I completely forgot about the missile slot in the head and fitted a single Large Laser in the torso, but it works for me :wub:

#12 Wrenchfarm

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:26 AM

Lovely idea for a build post! Props man.

Also, wish I still had my Phract-4X and could give this a try.

#13 SwordofLight

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  • LocationFranklin, MA

Posted 17 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Thank you all - my fanfic is usually restricted to writing up journal entries for our Shadowrun game. If the inspiration strikes me, though...

In response to The Basilisk:

One thing on the LB10X of this game - the major difference between MWO and BT is that you cant load dual rounds. That is to say, you cant load one ton of 'shotgun' rounds, which I've always thought to be cluster munitions rather than flechettes, and one ton of 'slugs', or simply put, AC/10 munitions (at least I dont think you can fire AC/10 shells in MWO from a 10X). In the tabletop, there wasnt any spread to the shotgun - you rolled to hit, and success meant a roll on the LRM10 chart to see how many of the 10 hit - and this was true whether you were a single hex away, or ten. You also had to declare on your turn whether you were using the 10X or AC/10 ammo. In MWO there is a spread - a rather substantial one - and my tactic is to reduce the spread to only a few torso locations, so that in addtion to my continous stream of MG fire, I'm also hitting your RT with an 'AC/8' and your RA with an AC/2 - rather than 1-pointing the entire front of your mech. The nice thing about the MGs is that it forces me to take the fight close - and once done, then pound away with the cannons.

As to 'fixed' - the problem I was having was tracking small, fast targets with the +. The o has more speed, even with xp upgrades to torso twist, and it just makes it easier to hit a strafing Jenner. Now, this is a trade-off, to be sure, because IF I could put the medium lasers on the light, I'd do more sustained damage than with the MGs. And I'd put more fire onto larger targets - and you loose an arm, you loose two of your 5 weapons, rather than 1 with the ML build. Its a risky mech to pilot - no doubt about it. However, its more than a match for its kin on the battlefield, and under the right circumstances (what, 2 of the 8 on your team are disco? Not the right circumstances) its dangerous to most mechs, regardless of their size.

-Don

KerenskyClone - I smell the unmistakable odor of sour grapes. If you'd only kept that storage facility under better guard. Really, a lance of UrbanMechs and three laser platoons? Didnt think a mere Leopard dropship could bring you so much pain, did you? If only you hadnt commited your main body to defend your HPG station, rather than our actual target. Quick! Rush all your good troops to deal with that Union ... that turned out to not have any mechs in it....and just flew away, looted your supply depot, and jumped off system before your inept aerospace command could do a thing.

If only you'd come up with a better design for the mech you'd lifted from your ill-gotten gains in Capellan space, and didnt have to reclassify them as 'emergency reinforcements'. The files we took made for some very interesting reading. If if if. And now you'll have to face a superior design piloted by superior warriors. Poor little Fed.

剣光

Edited by SwordofLight, 17 December 2012 - 11:17 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users