Do You Think The Game (Graphically) Looked Better In Closed Beta?

44 replies to this topic

#21 Monky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,219 posts
  • LocationHypothetical Warrior

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Almost every mech I see is suffering from some sort of color dampening effect, even in broad daylight it just looks dim. Not wanting bright sunshine rainbow colors, but when I have to say 'what color is this guy 200 meters away' something is probably wrong.

Worst case is blizzard version of snow city. You can't see any color unless you're right on someone.

#22 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:26 PM

To me it looks better now, because (for whatever reasons) I'm actually able to play the game on highest settings while in CB I could not.

#23 Grand Ayatollah Kerensky

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Postdeadeye mcduck, on 14 December 2012 - 01:02 PM, said:

I rather enjoy the game than be overly concerned with what the graphics look like (i'm from the 8-bit game era, where gameplay was more important).

Yeah, they really nailed down shallow and repetitive gameplay in the 1980s.

#24 Matthew Craig

Technical Director

• 867 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:21 PM

One of the key things we've noticed is that the HDR goes too dark when there are a lot of weapon effects going off, art is investigating and looking to re-balance the effects for 3.4 so they don't over darken which is contributing to the game feeling darker and seeing less detail. The amount of blur when hit is also being reviewed to be toned down.

#25 Zero Neutral

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

View PostDukarriope, on 14 December 2012 - 11:42 AM, said:

I was just looking through some of my old screenshots back when the client was still 'launcher.exe'... And they look way better than the game does now.
The older CryEngine 3 version ran smoother and looked better.

Wish I had screenshots that had more parity in what they displayed, but you can't always have that.

Sigh... yet another person who is completely unaware that DirectX11 had to be disabled temporarily when the engine was upgraded. FFS... people... learn this fact... stop posting about it.

View PostDukarriope, on 14 December 2012 - 12:03 PM, said:

Far as I'm concerned, back in closed beta the lighting and shadowing was much better (apart from the lack of walking shadows), the motion blur actually worked and while DoF isn't any better than it is now, the MLAA/FXAA implementation was much better. The current game looks almost like an Unreal Engine title.
Plus some of the new textures on the 'mechs for paint compatibility are ridiculously low in quality.

That is because DirectX11 was enabled, and now it is disabled.

#26 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

LOL! Duke Nukem is on the 2nd shot, that ***hole...

#27 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 04:28 PM

View PostAdridos, on 14 December 2012 - 02:57 PM, said:

It looked, better, but they toned down the graphics of models a lot to achieve better optimalisation.

False, they merely disabled DirectX11.

View PostKraven Kor, on 14 December 2012 - 01:18 PM, said:

Things look and run smoother for me, for the most part, compared to CB.

The Textures on the mechs were a lot "better" before the 3.4 update; but hard to put my finger on it. Before the first adjustments, the mechs almost looked cell-shaded... but look more or less fine now.

Environmental effects and weapon effects and such are way better now than before; but yes, mechs seem "less shiny" or something. Again, hard to really describe what changed.

DirectX11 was disabled when they upgraded the engine.

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 14 December 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

What is probably not what you mean, but they took away the old skins/textures. I miss the glowing eyes on the non-Founder Atlai.

View PostMustrumRidcully, on 14 December 2012 - 02:23 PM, said:

What is probably not what you mean, but they took away the old skins/textures. I miss the glowing eyes on the non-Founder Atlai.

A lot of effects won't be seen again until DirectX11 is turned back on.

#28 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts
  • LocationCanada ᕙ(⇀‸↼‶)ᕗ

Posted 14 December 2012 - 05:56 PM

Can I have some sources that DX11 was even enabled? People are saying that it's disabled now, but my understanding was that it has always been disabled, never enabled, and is delayed.

Thanks ;)

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 14 December 2012 - 05:59 PM.

#29 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 14 December 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

Can I have some sources that DX11 was even enabled? People are saying that it's disabled now, but my understanding was that it has always been disabled, never enabled, and is delayed.

Thanks ;)

It was never fully implemented, however, it was enabled. Now it is disabled.

The fact that they stated that they had disabled it should be enough evidence that it was once enabled.

I suggest doing YOUR OWN research, to find the patch notes associated with that change.

Edited by Zero Neutral, 14 December 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#30 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:03 PM

View PostZero Neutral, on 14 December 2012 - 06:00 PM, said:

It was never fully implemented, however, it was enabled. Now it is disabled.

The fact that they stated that they had disabled it should be enough evidence that it was once enabled.

Yes and Unicorns and Mermaids are real. The fact that I say this makes it true. It's solid evidence.

Would you mind linking me to the place where they have said it was disabled? I've been searching through search results for about 10 minutes and still have yet to come across anything except for people wondering what DX11 is going to do, when is it coming, and so on.

Thanks again.

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 14 December 2012 - 06:03 PM.

#31 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:05 PM

View PostMatthew Craig, on 14 December 2012 - 04:21 PM, said:

One of the key things we've noticed is that the HDR goes too dark when there are a lot of weapon effects going off, art is investigating and looking to re-balance the effects for 3.4 so they don't over darken which is contributing to the game feeling darker and seeing less detail. The amount of blur when hit is also being reviewed to be toned down.

Can we please have acknowledgement that DirectX11 is disabled and is contributing to the decrease in performance and visual graphics quality for many people?

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 14 December 2012 - 06:03 PM, said:

Yes and Unicorns and Mermaids are real. The fact that I say this makes it true. It's solid evidence.

Would you mind linking me to the place where they have said it was disabled? I've been searching through search results for about 10 minutes and still have yet to come across anything except for people wondering what DX11 is going to do, when is it coming, and so on.

Thanks again.

Nah you can surely find it yourself... and if not, oh well, it is true.

Edited by Zero Neutral, 14 December 2012 - 06:05 PM.

#32 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

View PostZero Neutral, on 14 December 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Nah you can surely find it yourself... and if not, oh well, it is true.

You are so kind.

Thanks again.

(why do you even bother responding if you aren't going to help out. you don't have to answer this. this is purely me just putting my thoughts out there. for the record.)

Edit:

I suggest doing YOUR OWN research, to find the patch notes associated with that change.

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by MoonUnitBeta, 14 December 2012 - 06:15 PM.

#33 Sir Wulfrick

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 872 posts
  • LocationIn a warship, over your planet :-)

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostPoerisija, on 14 December 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

It didn't look better imo, it just had way more ugly blur.

Still has way too much blurring.

My thoughts exactly.

#34 Abrahms

• 1,478 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:12 PM

If you changed the filter to get rid of the grain the old game looked a lot better.

The contrast was better, it ran smoother, and the color was better. Its a washed up mess visually now on most maps.

Snow Colony and Frozen City Night are the only ones right now that are bearable to look at.

#35 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:14 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 14 December 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

You are so kind.

Thanks again.

(why do you even bother responding if you aren't going to help out. you don't have to answer this. this is purely me just putting my thoughts out there. for the record.)

Why do you ask me to do the work for you? If you can't find it then perhaps they wiped the patch information from the forums, regarding closed beta...

DirectX11 was enabled, and after they patched to CE 3.4, they disabled it because they noticed issues... it will be re-enabled in the future, and the nice visuals/performance will return.

#36 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

View PostPoerisija, on 14 December 2012 - 11:49 AM, said:

It didn't look better imo, it just had way more ugly blur.

Still has way too much blurring.

blur makes it better ... somehow
just like everyone using the same op stuff makes it diverse ...somehow

#37 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostZero Neutral, on 14 December 2012 - 06:14 PM, said:

Why do you ask me to do the work for you?
Just to save time, or at least give a lead to where I could find it. Since you know about it, and I do not, I thought it would be OK to inquire about your substantial knowledge, I am sorry if I have offended you and didn't take your word for it.

I see that you mentioned something about patch notes so I will start there. Thanks!

#38 Zero Neutral

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationEast Coast USA

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:19 PM

View PostMoonUnitBeta, on 14 December 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

Just to save time, or at least give a lead to where I could find it. Since you know about it, and I do not, I thought it would be OK to inquire about your substantial knowledge, I am sorry if I have offended you and didn't take your word for it.

I see that you mentioned something about patch notes so I will start there. Thanks!

You might not be able to find information from closed beta.......

Trust me, I am 100% positive with no doubt in my mind that what I said is true.

They even said that everyone should have patience with the performance of the game until DirectX11 returned...

#39 MoonUnitBeta

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,560 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:24 PM

View PostZero Neutral, on 14 December 2012 - 06:19 PM, said:

You might not be able to find information from closed beta.......

Trust me, I am 100% positive with no doubt in my mind that what I said is true.

They even said that everyone should have patience with the performance of the game until DirectX11 returned...
okay, haha, I'll take your word for it. Thanks Zero.
I hope DX11 comes back soon!! ;)

#40 Arcturious

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 785 posts
  • LocationCanberra, Australia

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:37 AM

First map that loaded for me 10 mins after the patch went live was Forest colony. I and many others were just walking around admiring the scenery, then shooting each other into oblivion.

It looked so much better. The environments at least were far and away better with the new engine.

Everything else also looks much better, but nothing was as obvious as the water effects, trees (oh the trees!) etc in that first game on Forest Colony.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users