Art Misc

2251 replies to this topic

#1561 Iqfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 27 August 2015 - 05:11 AM

Heffay, a quick question, how can I get the newest mech-importer.ps1 to import the omnipods as well?

For example, when I try to import the warhawk, it only imports the PRIME variant and leaves the right torso launcher completely out of the blender file.

#1562 Heffay

Rum Runner

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 27 August 2015 - 07:11 AM

View PostIqfish, on 27 August 2015 - 05:11 AM, said:

Heffay, a quick question, how can I get the newest mech-importer.ps1 to import the omnipods as well?

For example, when I try to import the warhawk, it only imports the PRIME variant and leaves the right torso launcher completely out of the blender file.

It should load all the components. It just grabs all the .obj files from the <mech>\body directory and loads that into Blender.

I'll take a look at this tonight to see if I'm missing something though.

#1563 Jayce Haebdun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 09:24 AM

Posted Image

Success. Finally. Well, sort of. I was able to successfully get an Awesome 9M fully textured out and UV mapped, combined into a single object (without losing the multiple textures), and then bake it out to a single JPG to drop on the OBJ, crushed down from over 24K faces down to under 6K. I can get it to 9k with no distortion at all, but I needed lower to import into TTS. I still think it looks great though. The problem is, I have to bake it in Blender Render. (Which is why I had to fully retexture the thing, since imports in with node-materials in cycles.)

So I import it in, switch to Blender Render, move the variant weapons I don't want to another layer, then group all the objects into three objects (body, variant, window) and add *all three* materials to them, with the appropriate UV textures set up. That way when I combine them into one object for baking, they don't lose their material (this took me forever to figure out). After that it's pretty simple, make a new UV, smartmap the entire object, create a new blank image to bake to, and press Bake for textures only. Kicks out a nice texture--but I can't use the advanced cycles stuff. So I lighten it in GIMP and that's about as good as it gets.

What I *can't* do is get this thing to ******* bake in cycles, which would looks so much better with the spec and diff layers on it! I'm doing it RIGHT, but I've tried to bake as little as 300 faces (diffuse color only) and it still shits the bed every time (blender crashes or just closes without warning). I've tired CPU and GPU computing, to no avail.

#1564 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 29 August 2015 - 11:05 AM

https://www.blenderg...-baking-cycles/

Check out that tutorial. I haven't watched it, but Blender Guru generally has excellent information.

#1565 Jayce Haebdun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 37 posts

Posted 29 August 2015 - 05:09 PM

Yup, his tutorial was what finally got me some traction. I can take a cube, put three different materials on it (with glossy and bump maps) and then bake the texture no problem.

But when I try to do it with these mechs, I crash. So frustrated. It's okay, I'll take another stab at it later.

#1566 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 31 August 2015 - 04:22 PM

After much trial and error, pain, a $10 subscription to CryEngine, etc, I finally figured out how to follow these steps to get the models correctly assembled in Blender, in which case I promptly exported as FBX to Maya (I hate Blender), fixed up the texture file paths, added some image based lighting of a swamp, and rendered with FurryBall:

Posted Image

Now that I have figured out how to do this, I can start creating custom animation rigs within Maya for cinematic animation. Thanks for all the help!

#1567 confracto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 111 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

hi.

first, I want to say thank you, because the awesome resources in this thread helped make the below possible.

I made a crab. I've also put the files for it up, for those who might want to use it.

http://mwomercs.com/...7700-crab-mech/

#1568 mad kat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,907 posts
  • LocationFracking the third toaster.

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:58 PM

Getting closer still got to properly texture the background (out of shot) and actually do some propper splashes etc.Posted Image

#1569 Aresye

• Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 06:52 PM

Posted this on the "The Most Powerful Armor in the BattleTech Universe" thread:

Posted Image

#1570 Sparks Murphey

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,953 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 06 September 2015 - 08:53 PM

View PostAresye Kerensky, on 04 September 2015 - 06:52 PM, said:

Posted this on the "The Most Powerful Armor in the BattleTech Universe" thread:

Posted Image

The image pointed to a dead URL for me, though I managed to find it by right clicking and opening in a new tab. Looks like postimg.org change their reference IDs for some reason.

In any case, Aresye's original, rehosted on Imgur for stability:
Spoiler

#1571 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:00 AM

Hello,

can somebody please help me with the Legs if the EBJ? I've converted it to .obj files, but i am unable to construct the legs including feet and hips, also the arms are not aligned when you import them. Assembling the Torso went fine, all parts popped in matching, but the rest is horrible^^

Posted Image

I did install PS and blender, also converted the .cgf to .obj, same with .dds to .png

But i am not able to get a complete mech constructed together. The .mtl file doesn't seem to be working...

Posted Image

My Goal is to make a 3D print (or better said laser sinter) model of the EBJ, so camo is not important to me. But i want the model in a state where i can attach joints to the construction so both legs, hips and torso can be adjusted. Overall Scale is 1/32.

So what do i have to do to get the EBJ completely assembled and then being able to position the legs in case it doesn't come out standing in normal position?

Greetings

Peter

Edited by 8x9x3, 08 September 2015 - 08:03 AM.

#1572 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 08 September 2015 - 08:57 AM

Addition: I did run the mech-importer script, converted it to notepad, importet to python, but then i only get errors in blender. No model will show up... I have to say tht i have no clue how to script things right, did som trial and error until PS gave me the data through the mech-importer script...

#1573 Heffay

Rum Runner

• The Referee
  • The Referee
  • 6,458 posts
  • LocationPHX

Posted 08 September 2015 - 10:17 AM

View Post8x9x3, on 08 September 2015 - 08:57 AM, said:

Addition: I did run the mech-importer script, converted it to notepad, importet to python, but then i only get errors in blender. No model will show up... I have to say tht i have no clue how to script things right, did som trial and error until PS gave me the data through the mech-importer script...

I'm heading off on vacation for a week, but will try to get back to this soon. If you can post some screen shots of what the errors were in Blender, that would help.

Ugh... I recorded a 1 hour training session with the Cryengine Converter, and it didn't record any of the sound. That was my goal for before heading out. :(

#1574 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:32 AM

Hello Heffay,

thank you for your reply!

When i run mech importer, this is the error message i receive:
Posted Image

I found a .cdf file which is named "ebonjaguar" and copied into the directory where the .cgf files are. PS is V3.0 and blender is 2.75.

#1575 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:42 AM

Ha! Got the failure, i've messed up the folders ;) Now i have this beautyful EBJ Model inside Blender :D :D :D

#1576 Iqfish

• 3,488 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany, CGN

Posted 09 September 2015 - 12:51 PM

View Post8x9x3, on 09 September 2015 - 06:42 AM, said:

Ha! Got the failure, i've messed up the folders ;) Now i have this beautyful EBJ Model inside Blender :D :D :D

Please enlighten us.

Also, what have you done to my brain heffay

Posted Image

#1577 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 10 September 2015 - 08:28 PM

Hello everyone, I've been pushing for more customization in the game and I was hoping to get some talented artists to help get peoples imaginations going.

Iqfish & TMC had some fantastic HUD artwork and I was hoping someone would be willing to do something for custom mech hangers or custom geometry.

Here's the thread about this petition. http://mwomercs.com/...t-more-options/

Any & all contributions are greatly appreciated!

#1578 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:21 AM

View PostIqfish, on 09 September 2015 - 12:51 PM, said:

Please enlighten us.

Also, what have you done to my brain heffay

Posted Image

I#ve transferred the ebonjaguar folder to the "Mechs" folder where all the .pak files were, then it worked.

I do now have another problem, since i wanted to add joints to the legs, Torso twisting plate and arms i have to make some cuts to the 3D model, but i cannot apply boolean in blender. when i do it the other way round it gives me a copy of the object i want to cut off, but with a much rougher surface. Do i first have to vonvert the EBJ model to something else to cut it into pieces?

#1579 Jayce Haebdun

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:52 PM

Posted Image

Small update from the land of Tabletop Simulator: I've gotten the hang of the best way to bring in MWO models now; once I bring it into blender, I make sure that body, variant, and window pieces are all grouped up, with only their corresponding material, then I merge the body/window, remove doubles, and de-triangle. Then I do the same for the variant (weapon) pieces. After that I decimate the now joined body/window until the total faces for the mech is down to 5K. While this can skew some pieces of the body a little, for the most part I'm able to retain the core shape with little broken geometry. Then I apply that and merge in the weapons (note the weapons are never reduced, so they look perfect still).

Export that and I apply some quick material colors, then color the weapon ports, and export that as a simple texture on a black background to hide holes in the texture. End results are the Locust and Mad Cat you see here!

Then... I finally got the hang of baking textures in Blender (Blender Render, Cycles still crashes me) but I combined the diff & spc textures in GIMP then set that as the texture for each area (body, variant, window) and it looks solid. Texture the base then SmartUV a new UV Map, create a blank image to bake the texture on, make sure all the textures are using the original UV map for their render, then bake it all onto the blank image.

Bam, the new UV is filled in with the correct faces across all five of the involved textures! Dump that into GIMP one more time (to brighten it a bit for a better visibility in TTS) and bam--the Awesome shown here!

#1580 Peter Overheater

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 119 posts
  • LocationGazorpazorp

Posted 15 September 2015 - 02:28 PM

Hello Again :)

I did now continue my workonthe EBJ and send some .stl files to my buddy.

I do now face two issues:

1) The .stl file seems to be broken, or better said, there are a lot of "holes" in the model, so it is not possible to take it to the laser sintering device. Does anyone know if there is a tool to "close" all holes on the exported file? The issue is that the laser sinter machine can only create models from a closed, or better said, filled object.

2) The .stl file is always the rough "core model",without any curvesor smooth surfaces. Its all very edged because it makes only the simple surfaces. So is it possible to get a .stl file including the soft curves which seem to be rendered over the edged model?

Like i've already wrote, i want the EBJ to be in 1/32 Scale, at that size it is not very good looking when you only have the edged surfaces.

Greetings

Peter

Edited by 8x9x3, 15 September 2015 - 02:29 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users