Higher Ping Times After Patch?

141 replies to this topic

#81 Akulakhan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

View PostVedic, on 31 January 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

I have no clue why we were going through Germany, but all those tinet.net servers are German - that's 3-4 hops around the EU before crossing back to Atlanta, GA. Bizarre. It explains what's going on with the pings, but not why we're being routed like that.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of networks like this can explain if this is Verizon or PGI's ISP's problem? It's not the router slowing us down per se, but the route we're taking to get to the server. All the nodes seem very reasonable in their ping times...for being 3000 miles away! :mellow:

Yeah, a knowledgeable member of the community or a PGI tech would be really helpful here! There's no good reason why, all of a sudden in mid-January, that our networks would start routing to Europe.

#82 agentdavion

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

so the problem hasnt been fixed, everyone on verizon isp read my above post and give them hell untill this company buys more bandwidth or verizon reroutes the traffic during the day or it will not be solved

#83 agentdavion

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

I have no clue why we were going through Germany, but all those tinet.net servers are German - that's 3-4 hops around the EU before crossing back to Atlanta, GA. Bizarre. It explains what's going on with the pings, but not why we're being routed like that.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of networks like this can explain if this is Verizon or PGI's ISP's problem? It's not the router slowing us down per se, but the route we're taking to get to the server. All the nodes seem very reasonable in their ping times...for being 3000 miles away! :mellow:

as i stated in my above post this is a aussie hosting site renting the block this ip is on from verizon i hunted it down they are on the east coast not germany i woulndt be getting routed from northeastern us to germany back to america i dont know where u got this info but its wrong see abouve post from me explaining all of this

View PostElmoWithAGun, on 31 January 2013 - 02:56 PM, said:

My trace route doesn't even complete...as soon as it hits border1.te9-1-bbnet2.tor001.pnap.net, all the hops after that just time out. :P

this is because the border one is dev.mwomercs.com so it times out because it doesnt have to travel anymore buddy

View PostSolaxxas, on 31 January 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

That's because the mwomercs servers don't accept ping requests, so it's normal.

no guys the last hop IS mwo thats why it times out after that

#84 ElmoWithAGun

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Location123 Sesame Street

Posted 31 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Played 2 minutes into my first game of the night and completely timed out. Awesome.

#85 Flapdrol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 03:21 AM

but all those tinet.net servers are German - that's 3-4 hops around the EU before crossing back to Atlanta, GA. Bizarre.

All tinet servers german? tor10.ip4.tinet should be toronto.

#86 Skoll Lokeson

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts
  • LocationMalmö

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:51 AM

View PostPurpleNinja, on 18 January 2013 - 05:18 AM, said:

Higher ping and much more lag/rubberbanding.

:) ;)

Same here. Still not a huge problem but significant change. Lag/rubberbanging went from a non-issue to actually affecting gameplay.

#87 Vedic

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 06:58 AM

View PostFlapdrol, on 01 February 2013 - 03:21 AM, said:

All tinet servers german? tor10.ip4.tinet should be toronto.

The IP is registered to Tiscali International, which is an ISP in the EU owned by Tinet. Of course, I'm assuming about the router's physical location based on the IP owner, but Tiscali is EU-only and the ping times match that kind of distance. Same goes for internap-gw.ip4.tinet.net, which is the peering gateway to Internap.

Regardless, it looks like agentdavion may have tracked the problem to Verizon's leased router. Hopefully that can get ironed out soon...

#88 Agent of Change

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,119 posts
  • LocationBetween Now and Oblivion

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:24 AM

I went from 30-40 to 90-140

#89 Loxx

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:27 AM

Ok, here's the deal. According to verizon, after hop 5 it's out of their network (or so they claim) and anything after that is someone else's problem. Now here's the lie. [color=#959595]8 84 ms 82 ms 84 ms tinet-gw.customer.alter.net [152.179.72.122][/color] Is an old MCI backbone server, which was bought by verizon in the 90's. So it IS their problem. Furthermore, it's all over their forum pages about it so they have to be aware of it, as AgentDavion posted. However, it's still not fixed. Therefore, my suggestion is go to this web forum [link]http://forums.verizo...ues/td-p/525091[/link] and express your frustration. Let's take the fight to them.

#90 Penance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,802 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

i had a guy in a game the other day with 2500 ping sometimes going over 3k. think he was playing on the moon.

#91 Vedic

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:01 AM

I'm thinking it's a combination of Verizon's bureaucracy and misconfigured routing related to that leasing issue agentdavion mentioned. The FiOS customers calling Verizon are being told "not my problem" because they're speaking with Verizon Residential service, when the routing issue is under a wholly different department/division, much like Verizon Wireless would be. For instance, if you're getting crappy internet service on your iPhone using WIFI off of FiOS, then Verizon Wireless would tell you to call Verizon Residential - they're the same company, but can't get in each other's systems. It's happened to me before.

Hopefully, the issue will get through to someone who can solve it.

#92 agentdavion

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:43 PM

http://www.ip-adress.../152.179.72.122 one info listing... whois.arin.net <this one u have to punch in the ip address in the top right of the page then scroll down untill u see admin and it says clear as day verizon is the admin if the block being rented...

renter of the block that the ip address is on ANS Communications, Inc.... but as i said above verizon is sitting on their hands because your calling you local isp keep calling ask to speak to the guy above the guy above the guy and if we have to im shutting it off if its not fixed soon cuz up untill amonth ago i was perfect and now craps hitting the fan all over the east coast and its not their problem, so like above!!! ive done my home work only new thing i found was they are now in new york so light your torches and get ur pitch forks its gunna be a long hard fight but im ready to fight for my fav. game of all time how about u?

#93 agentdavion

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:49 PM

http://www.ip-adress...whois/alter.net use the tech number and admin number if ur isp wont help do not let this slide going from a 30ms ping to 180 (eu ping) is not ok i dont pay to be ripped off so they can rent ips and jam us threw the same one

#94 verybad

• 4,229 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

Don't care what my ping is, if I'm getting better accuracy, then overall the game is better.

#95 Zolaz

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationHouston, Tx

Posted 01 February 2013 - 05:20 PM

worse frame rates

#96 Vedic

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

View Postagentdavion, on 01 February 2013 - 04:43 PM, said:

http://www.ip-adress.../152.179.72.122 one info listing... whois.arin.net <this one u have to punch in the ip address in the top right of the page then scroll down untill u see admin and it says clear as day verizon is the admin if the block being rented...

renter of the block that the ip address is on ANS Communications, Inc.... but as i said above verizon is sitting on their hands because your calling you local isp keep calling ask to speak to the guy above the guy above the guy and if we have to im shutting it off if its not fixed soon cuz up untill amonth ago i was perfect and now craps hitting the fan all over the east coast and its not their problem, so like above!!! ive done my home work only new thing i found was they are now in new york so light your torches and get ur pitch forks its gunna be a long hard fight but im ready to fight for my fav. game of all time how about u?

Nobody's arguing with your idea that ANS is involved with that router. What I've said about the German routers refers to the hops *after* that one. I got the information from the same place you did - whois lookups - and gave links. Read the posts and you'll understand.

It's possible that router is misconfigured or located far away, and is routing our packets to the EU as a result. I'm not sure why you're saying it's not possible, but that's what it appears to be.

As for Verizon, it's most likely bureaucratic nonsense with the Residential service arm being separate from the one that leases routers like the tinet-gw.customer.alter.net peering gateway. Someone higher up needs to make the connection and tell one side to play nice with the other and fix the problem.

Until that happens, MWO is shelved for me. Too bad, after buying MC and everything.

#97 Typatty

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 138 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:06 AM

It's still not fixed for me. I'm guessing Verizon has not fixed it.

#98 agentdavion

• PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

View PostVedic, on 01 February 2013 - 07:37 PM, said:

Nobody's arguing with your idea that ANS is involved with that router. What I've said about the German routers refers to the hops *after* that one. I got the information from the same place you did - whois lookups - and gave links. Read the posts and you'll understand.

It's possible that router is misconfigured or located far away, and is routing our packets to the EU as a result. I'm not sure why you're saying it's not possible, but that's what it appears to be.

As for Verizon, it's most likely bureaucratic nonsense with the Residential service arm being separate from the one that leases routers like the tinet-gw.customer.alter.net peering gateway. Someone higher up needs to make the connection and tell one side to play nice with the other and fix the problem.

Until that happens, MWO is shelved for me. Too bad, after buying MC and everything.

ur correct there i just spoke to another tech that called me and he tryed to blame MWO saying they were slowing my speed to match that of other players , flat out lies cuz i tossed the info i have right at him and it got really heated. they then texted me telling me my ticket was closed......sooo i used the in home agent to contact them again and told the what the problem was this person seemded very helpful as he listened to the whole problem befor offering a solution on my end or tossiong the blam around i showed him the info that ans inc was leasing ip blocks from verizon and told him about the notheast being bogged down in peak use hours and returning to normal, he says he sent a new ticket marking it as a bigger problem then they had it listed as befor (my words not his) if this does not work im going to start calling new stations and papers to see if someone will pick up the story and the abuse they are putting us threw and tossing the blame at pgi

#99 Akulakhan

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:30 PM

Yeah, mine are still no better as well during peak hours. I just wish we could get a straight answer from someone, someday, about why there seems to be such a problem the last two weeks with something as (comparatively) simple as playing a game on the internet.

#100 Henchman 24

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 529 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:12 PM

The same thing happened to me, same story almost.

I'm on the east coast, FiOS customer, my pings were in the 30's usually before the last patch. A day after the patch it went to 120 or higher.

I didn't save them at the time...but traces pointed to a different hop in the route than the OPs. I did some fiddling and noticed it seemed I could ping fine to anywhere in the USA(northern states working my way west) and only got up into the triple digits when I hit the west coast pretty much.
When I did the same just over the border into Canada, anywhere west of Toronto was 100+. I have no idea if it was an alter net hop that causes most of my high pings, I suppose I could check more, but once I saw the results, I gave up thinking it had much to do with the game.

I was right pretty much, as a few nights recently, I've had my ping go from 47 to 158 in that same match. It's not my ISP, at least not anywhere near my state even.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users