The Recovering Light Mech Pilot's Comprehensive Guide To Things That Can One-Shot You

31 replies to this topic

#1 icey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 301 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:31 AM

Just want to get out in front of this one.

With the current and still upcoming changes to netcode, and the hopeful removal of the lagshield effect, a lot of our supremely skilled Raven 3L and Commando 2D pilots may notice themselves dying a lot faster in conditions where four to six players shooting at them may now occasionally register hits, resulting in the destruction of the light mech.

In order to provide a frame of reference for these excellent, amazing, talented pilots who may begin to suspect that there is chicanery afoot when they can no longer tank an entire enemy team for five minutes without taking damage, i present to you this list of things that can be killed in one hit by the follwing dirt-common builds

Six PPC Stalker (60 damage)
AC20 Cat K2 (40 damage)
Dual Gauss K2 or Phract, Triple PPC damn-near anything (h/t Congzilla) (30 damage)

EDIT: this list doesnt include lasers or missiles as they are not 'instant kill' in the case of lasers, and are not consistently single-component targetable in the case of missiles, even though its perfectly normal to kill in a single salvo while using them (4P, A1, etc)

Contrary to prevailing troll wisdom, people on the internet CAN aim, and not everyone in this game needs to 'L2P'. To test this theory, join any CS:GO server, and run in circles as fast as you can, and count in seconds how long it takes someone to headshot you from the other side of the map. (Hint: it won't take long).

So here it is - the list of places where anyone with a shred of talent, some good timing, and an appropriate weapon loadout can hit you and kill you in one hit. These numbers assume 3:1 front:back ratios and structure providing ~50% of max armour in HP for that section (it may be slightly more than half, so some of the borderline kills on 40HP and 60HP may not work)

Please check this for reference before complaining about aimbots, hackers or other stupid crap in future. Thanks!

==========

Key:
*** Dual Gauss, Dual AC20 or Triple/Quad/Hex-PPC
** Dual AC20 or Quad/Hex-PPC
* Hex-PPC only

** ANY MECH IN THE GAME: Headshot (~33 HP)

Commando:
** CT front - 24 armour, 16 structure - 40HP total
*** CT rear - 8 armour, 16 structure - 24HP total
*** ST front (XL) - 16 armour, 12 structure - 28HP total
*** ST rear (XL) - 8 armour, 12 structure - 24HP total

Spider:
* CT front - 30 armour, 20 structure - 50HP total
*** CT rear - 10 armour, 20 structure - 30HP total
** ST front (XL) - 21 armour, 14 structure - 35HP total
*** ST rear (XL) - 7 armour, 14 structure - 21 HP total

Jenner/Raven:
* CT front - 33 armour, 22 structure - 55HP total
** CT rear - 11 armour, 22 structure - 33HP total
** ST front (XL) - 24 armour, 16 structure - 40HP total
*** ST rear (XL) - 8 armour, 16 structure - 24HP total

Cicada:
* CT front - 36 armour, 24 structure - 60HP total
** CT rear - 12 armour, 24 structure - 36HP total
* ST front (XL) - 30 armour, 20 structure - 50HP total
*** ST rear (XL) - 10 armour, 20 structure - 30HP total

Centurion/Hunchback:
CT front - 48 armour, 32 structure - 80HP total - None.
(i.e, you must generally be this heavy to not be CT front one-shottable)
* CT rear - 16 armour, 32 structure - 48HP total
* ST front (XL) - 36 armour, 24 structure - 60 total
** ST rear (XL) - 12 armour, 24 structure - 36 total

Dragon:
* CT rear - 20 armour, 40 structure - 60HP total
ST front (XL) - 42 armour, 28 structure - 70HP total - None
(this is the size where a single-shot front side kill stops happening)
* ST rear (XL) - 14 armour, 28 structure - 42HP total

Catapult:
CT rear - 21 armour, 42 structure - 63HP total - None
(no more single rear CT deaths)
* ST rear (XL) - 15 armour, 30 structure - 45HP total

==========

BONUS: Unlikely but possible XL engined Side/Rear 6PPC stalker killshots:

Cataphract:
* ST rear (XL) - 15 armour, 30 structure - 45HP total
Awesome:
* ST rear (XL) - 17 armour, 34 structure - 51HP total
Stalker:
* ST rear (XL) - 18 armour, 36 structure - 54HP total

Atlas:
ST rear (XL) - 21 armour, 42 structure - 63HP total - none

ONLY AN ATLAS CANT BE KILLED IN ONE SHOT OUTSIDE OF BEING HEADSHOT
(assuming no ammo/gauss explosions or whatever - thanks Kryzstof)

==========

TL:DR - sorry about the tone, but there are tons of legit ways you can die in one shot in light and medium mechs in this game. Dont be 'that guy' complaining about hackers or just assuming you got 'bs headshot' when the game finally co-operates with someone who has the appropriate loadout and the ability to aim straight.

Edited by icey, 25 January 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#2 meteorol

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:56 AM

View Posticey, on 25 January 2013 - 04:31 AM, said:

Contrary to prevailing troll wisdom, people on the internet CAN aim, and not everyone in this game needs to 'L2P'. To test this theory, join any CS:GO server, and run in circles as fast as you can, and count in seconds how long it takes someone to headshot you from the other side of the map. (Hint: it won't take long).

QFT

This is what 3/4 of the light pilots will learn now.
But i don't think you can run in "circles" in CS. You won't make half a circle before you are dead.

Edited by meteorol, 25 January 2013 - 04:58 AM.

#3 Vamboozle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 127 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 25 January 2013 - 04:58 AM

Good post - both interesting and to the point.

It's interesting that since the patch I've killed more light mechs than in the previous 2 months - and let's be fair I'm not the most skilled player or the best shot.

It's interesting to see the effect the removal of the lag sheild has had on light mech pilots. There are still the really skillful players out there and they stand out a mile (and frighten the bejeezus out of us mech pilots of "a heavier persuasion).

However the vast majority now appear to be average or worse - either stopping dead or running in predictable circles.

#4 Krzysztof z Bagien

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 710 posts
  • LocationUć, Poland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:09 AM

Yeah, I love when I manage to kill a light by one shot from quad PPC and the guy I've just killed is all like "WTF was that?!" :D
Oh, and on a side note: an Atlas CAN be killed in one shot with a bit of luck (hint: ammo or Gauss) :D

Edited by Krzysztof z Bagien, 25 January 2013 - 05:10 AM.

#5 KKRonkka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:12 AM

They MUST have done something to improve lag/netcode issues - I managed to kill ECM spider with two large pulse lasers by actually aiming at it ("forgot" to lead aiming as Spider appeared so fast).

Best part was that he grunted about "darn fixes to lagshield bug" XD

Further improvements will make lights (especially ECM variants) a role which requires skill, not just facerolling on keyboard.

Edited by KKRonkka, 25 January 2013 - 05:13 AM.

#6 Congzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Messenger
  • The Messenger
  • 1,215 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:14 AM

Add triple PPC Awesome.

#7 bug3at3r

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:17 AM

This is some really handy info.

+1

#8 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:20 AM

Indeed. and this is why smart light pilots never run in a straight line with the torso static. (i have so many kills form this, just tailing another light and pumping death in to his back) dodge, weave and using the fact that the mech have momentum is how you stay alive once you are in the thick of it. Ofc the really smart pilots make sure they are never in the thick of it.

Edited by AlexEss, 25 January 2013 - 05:21 AM.

#9 QuantumButler

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,534 posts
  • LocationTaiwan, One True China

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:41 AM

This patch is glorious, I love watching Jenners, spiders, ecm Baby's, and the dreaded lagraven getting oneshot swatted by massed firepower like they damn well should finally.

Why just yesterday, some ECM commando was trying to lag phase through my CN9-D with 3x srm6, and I oneshot him with one volly, the 6 or so component destroyed messages were just marvelous.

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:50 AM

Tis quite enjoyable actually right now... whilst the old habits of Lagshield arrogance are still ingrained.......

I have gotten to one shot several light mechs including one poor chap who thought jumping all over the Frozen City in his Spider made him UNTOUCHABLE!!!!!!

Until I 6 PPC pegged his butt in mid air.

Still a little bit of luck involved, but a week ago such a thing would only be possible through pure luck.

Lights should also beware of ANYTHING packing 4 or more SRM6s or LRM15s with TAG.... as those too can with a little luck one shot a light.

***Also... most Atlas-K Drivers can be 6 PPC one shot.... especially from behind.... just pick a shoulder and XL engine go BOOM (Though I was truly shocked the other day to shoot an Atlas K, blow off the torso and GASP! No XL!!!! Of course, he still lost his GAuss and PPC so it wasn't ALL bad...)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 25 January 2013 - 05:53 AM.

#11 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:52 AM

so... "fixes to lag shield OP?"

/ducks

#12 Darwins Dog

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:58 AM

Don't forget the dual gauss/dual AC20/4 ppc cicada. :D

This is a thing that I have had to relearn myself. I was a pretty good pilot in closed beta, but now... let's just say that I picked up bad habits.

Hopefully the new netcode fixes will mean that knockdown will be back soon. Although that will mean another week or so of painful re/learning for us light pilots.

#13 xRaeder

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:01 AM

Bleh I was hitting lagshield lights through their lagshield with an AC/20 on my Hunchback 4G months before the fix.

In fact I had gotten so good at it that I probably had a 75% hit rate. This just makes my hit rate in the 90% range. A lot fewer lights now.

Edited by xRaeder, 25 January 2013 - 06:01 AM.

#14 Gammanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:02 AM

View PostDarwins Dog, on 25 January 2013 - 05:58 AM, said:

Hopefully the new netcode fixes will mean that knockdown will be back soon. Although that will mean another week or so of painful re/learning for us light pilots.

?

This patch hasn't changed anything about how I use my light mechs, hilariously, despite what many people seem to imply for those of us who played with some tactics before it is just as easy if not more so to rack up the kills.

Since surprisingly, not only light mechs benefited from the lag shield. :D

Edited by Gammanoob, 25 January 2013 - 06:03 AM.

#15 Cataphract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 278 posts
  • LocationRedding, CA

Posted 25 January 2013 - 06:15 AM

This tread definitely gets my +1. I am still finding lights that want to bumb rush Rambo style only to die les than 30 seconds later. Ive had multiple encounters over the past day that I didnt have to lead my shots at all. There are some that still need it, but for the most part lag shield is almost gone. I know Im much more careful in my lights and even my Cicadas. Its much more beneficial to actually use a light mech as intended now rather than a lag tank.

#16 BatWing

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 337 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:00 AM

+1

Well done post, interesting info. Thank you for sharing.

I hope anyone will not feel offended by this post. They should take this with large gratitude, as constructive criticism and use these info to improve their skills.

Well, done. We need so much post like this one on this Forum. When you find one is really a breath of fresh air ;)

If you will write more, i will suscribe your channel Sir :)

Edited by BatWing, 25 January 2013 - 07:01 AM.

#17 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:13 AM

youforgot SRM cat

i wihipped around and one shot a raven in the face in my A1 once. it felt so good

Edited by Tennex, 25 January 2013 - 07:13 AM.

#18 Mercules

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 5,136 posts
  • LocationPlymouth, MN

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:17 AM

Maybe not 1 shot but I had a Raven "run" past me at something like 94KPH. Not a good idea as I spun my 91KPH Dragon around, was able to follow right behind him as he ran straight, and shot him (and hit him) in the back with an AC10 and 4 Medium lasers. Nice knowing you RVN-3L, maybe you shouldn't try and pack a Large Pulse laser, TAG, ECM, and the 2 Streaks on there.

I've spent a lot less time in my Light mechs lately mostly because I am trying to get my Dragon XP up. The time I have spent has reminded me of early on Closed Beta where you had to duck and weave in a Light to stay alive. I've always had a low ping which means that if my opponent did too I didn't have much "lag shield" at all except against the higher ping players. Heck, I probably had that in my Centurion.

So I have always tried to stay out of the line of fire but I know a bunch of pilots who haven't. I can tell who is used to Lag Shield. They don't duck and weave, they don't run near buildings and try to cut the corners tight, and they circle strafe. The day of the patch I bought a Death's Knell to play around with and ended up killing an RVN-3L with the standard Streaks and Lasers setup. The Streaks were tearing me up but I had 2 MPLas and 2 MLas on there and was more than able to hit him and core him.

This game is kinda fun again. ;)

#19 icey

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 301 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 January 2013 - 07:20 AM

View PostTennex, on 25 January 2013 - 07:13 AM, said:

youforgot SRM cat

i wihipped around and one shot a raven in the face in my A1 once. it felt so good

yeah, i didnt count missiles and lasers because theyre either not instant-kill, or not very likely to do all their damage to the same component and consistently one-shot you. and generally when you get blasted by 90 damage of SRMs, you're going to have a pretty good idea what hit you - its not likely to make people cry 'omg hax' or anything

#20 Bilbo

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 25 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

You forgot the D-DC w/ 3 SRM6 and an AC/20.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users