Stop Recording Stats Now!

54 replies to this topic

#1 FrupertApricot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 669 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

there is no way stats recorded at this stage can form a meaningful ELO.

Matches are still constantly launching 6v8, 7v8, 7v6, etc. and currently it looks like your "match score" is mostly based on damage, favoring heavy/missileers. Just seems like a bad idea to be taking data seriously from this period.

#2 Like a Sir

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 589 posts
  • LocationUSA NW

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Seems like even worse idea: yelling the sky is falling, before we even give this a shot...

#3 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

No, by all means, keep recording stats.

Players who depend on the crutches of sync-drops, or exploiting Raven 3Ls will find themselves at a VERY high ELO rating.

When their crutches are removed, all they will have left is their epeen getting crushed by players who actually know what they are doing as they see their stats plummet by playing against actual good pilots.

I see no problem. Karma will sort the matter out.

#4 Gammanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 06 February 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

exploiting Raven 3Ls will find themselves at a VERY high ELO rating.

I hate to crush your dream, but matching score seems to be based mostly on damage, so it's rare to see any 3Ls score consistently high on the list.

#5 stjobe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,498 posts
  • LocationOn your six, chipping away at your rear armour.

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:38 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 06 February 2013 - 03:36 PM, said:

No, by all means, keep recording stats.

Players who depend on the crutches of sync-drops, or exploiting Raven 3Ls will find themselves at a VERY high ELO rating.

When their crutches are removed, all they will have left is their epeen getting crushed by players who actually know what they are doing as they see their stats plummet by playing against actual good pilots.

I see no problem. Karma will sort the matter out.

I was about to post the same, but from the opposite direction; when Elo matchmaking starts, you'll have a lower rating because of 7v8s, sync drop stomps and the like, than you really should have, making it easy to raise your rating.

#6 Syllogy

• 2,698 posts
  • LocationStrana Mechty

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:39 PM

And 8v7 happens how many times out of 100 drops?

#7 JSparrowist

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  • LocationBoomer Sooner

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

View PostSyllogy, on 06 February 2013 - 03:39 PM, said:

And 8v7 happens how many times out of 100 drops?

Far more often than it should.

#8 Bam MacGonzo

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 13 posts
  • LocationNew Aberdeen, Matsuida Prefecture, Galedon Military District, Draconis Combine

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:46 PM

It's never been a major problem in my games, unless I'm on RC:N :D

It only happens - at most - 10% of the time, I just wish people would remember this is still beta and give the devs a chance to sort things out... If yer no happy, awa' and play CoD or some other crud.

(seems they know the Scottish spelling of a word I used, as it was starred :ph34r: )

Edited by Bam MacGonzo, 06 February 2013 - 03:47 PM.

#9 HighlandCoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 772 posts
  • Locationbehind you

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:49 PM

The gamerscore you see at end of match has no real relation to your ELO. See this weeks patch notes.

#10 80sGlamRockSensation David Bowie

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationThe Island

View PostBam MacGonzo, on 06 February 2013 - 03:46 PM, said:

It's never been a major problem in my games, unless I'm on RC:N :D

It only happens - at most - 10% of the time, I just wish people would remember this is still beta and give the devs a chance to sort things out... If yer no happy, awa' and play CoD or some other crud.

(seems they know the Scottish spelling of a word I used, as it was starred :ph34r: )

I read this entire post with a scottish accent before I even realized the poster wast scottish. And yes.

#11 Agent 0 Fortune

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,403 posts

If missile boaters are getting greater ELO, guess who you wont be fighting with your craptastic ELO.
That is until the sync droppers get ahold of them and crush their ELO into the toilet.

If you are getting your epeen bent out of shape because you are facing sync-drops and cheese builds, you are the type of player who doesn't want a high ELO.

#12 Tikkamasala

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

View PostFrupertApricot, on 06 February 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Matches are still constantly launching 6v8, 7v8, 7v6, etc. and currently it looks like your "match score" is mostly based on damage, favoring heavy/missileers. Just seems like a bad idea to be taking data seriously from this period.

The current data set just seeds your initial elo. I am sure it will converge on a meaningful value after enough matches have been played.
The match score on the other hand is just a value to rank you in the end of match screen. There is nothing more to it; it's not even persistent.

#13 WhistlR

• PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • LocationAlberta

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:51 PM

I was dropped into an 8v5 conquest lastnight,.. was very unfortunate for the other team

#14 BFett

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • LocationA galaxy far far away...

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostGammanoob, on 06 February 2013 - 03:38 PM, said:

I hate to crush your dream, but matching score seems to be based mostly on damage, so it's rare to see any 3Ls score consistently high on the list.

How do you know what PGI has planned for ELO? If there is a problem with the way ELO is done then I believe PGI will find that problem within the week and solve it. That's why they are tracking stats right now.

#15 Hellen Wheels

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,326 posts
  • LocationDraconis March

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:55 PM

View PostFrupertApricot, on 06 February 2013 - 03:33 PM, said:

Especially when I (and my henchmen) are sandbagging!!!!

:-)
=H=

#16 Gammanoob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts
  • LocationThe Periphery

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostBFett, on 06 February 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

How do you know what PGI has planned for ELO? If there is a problem with the way ELO is done then I believe PGI will find that problem within the week and solve it. That's why they are tracking stats right now.

I don't but I can read the score that the game assigns for a player's performance at the end of the round, logically, if light mechs are usually at the bottom, it seems hard to assume that they will somehow magically be placed in a high ELO position.

Ninja developers posting.

Edited by Gammanoob, 06 February 2013 - 04:08 PM.

#17 IceSerpent

• 3,044 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

View PostBFett, on 06 February 2013 - 03:53 PM, said:

We know what ELO is, so we know that it can't be based on match score - it simply wouldn't be ELO in that case.

#18 Karl Berg

Technical Director

• 497 posts
  • LocationVancouver

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:05 PM

As mentioned, those match scores you see are not your ELO. The ELO is hidden at the moment; no-one sees it except specific devs for debugging, and the CSR team for when they need to investigate user reported matchmaking issues.

#19 Hekalite

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:07 PM

The specifics of how ELO will be implemented are sparse, but not completely missing. Paul posted a huge explanation in this thread: http://mwomercs.com/...79-matchmaking/

An important and often overlooked detail from that post is this:

A player’s rating will only go down if they are beaten by a player who has a lower rating than theirs. In this case, if the 1350 player lost, their score would not change since the Match Maker was correct in its prediction.

So if you are thrown into an unbalanced match with equally skilled opponents (6v8 for example), you should be ranked lower overall and thus, not take a hit in ELO when you lose.

Additional tidbits posted by Karl Berg in this post (starting on page 3): http://mwomercs.com/...the-future-elo/

The combat score which has been talked about elsewhere is an entirely separate concept from your ELO. The combat score is kind of like a 'match score' for a single game to try and give you an idea of how well you did. We're not currently persisting the match scores, and I suspect it will get tweaked quite a bit over the next few patches.

Edit: Too slow, Karl beat me to it. :D

Edited by Hekalite, 06 February 2013 - 04:09 PM.

#20 PropagandaWar

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,495 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 February 2013 - 04:11 PM

I wont post who ended up dropping with us yesterday but I'm sure many could guess. Three of us had a premade and we and one pug went out and fought. The Team that shall not be named went out in the water and turned around on the River City Map. So we fought killed about 4 or so mechs and died in the process of fighting off there whole team. All the while seeing our Teamates chat the usual abnoxious stuff. Anywho we all did some hight damage 600+ or so for the most part. So after we fell they came in and mopped up doing 100-200 points of damage. Could strategies like this keep there ELO down sure but I wonder how long it will last. With phase three coming back premades will often have 5-8 players forcing them to do there own dirty work.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users