#21 Corvus Antaka

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 8,310 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

make thermal vision a module. And we need something that disrupts thermal vision. Like a PPC, or the FLAMER?

#22 De La Fresniere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 622 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 12:56 PM

View Postlsp, on 17 February 2013 - 12:42 PM, said:

Don't like it, then don't use it.

Unfortunately, until they fix the regular graphics, we don't have much of a choice.

#23 Empee38

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:04 PM

View PostPhenakist, on 17 February 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

The one most obvious flaw about this is that Real life is not equal to mechwarrior.

All they would have to do it change the color scheme from Predator style to White hot for heat signatures.

#24 AlexEss

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

View PostDe La Fresniere, on 17 February 2013 - 12:56 PM, said:

Unfortunately, until they fix the regular graphics, we don't have much of a choice.

That is simply not true in my experince, unless you run the game on a commondore 64. I have no problem spotting mediums and bigger moving from over half the map away. And that far away they are not much of a threat. So i am curious, elaborate on this point you make.

Edited by AlexEss, 17 February 2013 - 01:07 PM.

#25 Empee38

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostAlexEss, on 17 February 2013 - 01:07 PM, said:

That is simply not true in my experince, unless you run the game on a commondore 64. I have no problem spotting mediums and bigger moving from over half the map away. And that far away they are not much of a threat. So i am curious, elaborate on this point you make.

You can spot a mech half a map away on night maps and during a blizzard on snow city? Impressive.

#26 AlexEss

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 2,491 posts
  • Locationthe ol north

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

I have to ahree (and if you read the thread) that i use TV on frozen city day. But that is the only one and compared to everything else on that map TV is crystal clear.

On RC(N) i use NV for most of it due to the fact that there is a lot of little crap in the way that the TV does not pick up (Like my favourite "joke" of standing behind the blast shield at the spaceport. popping out and shot some only to see people waste tons of ammo trying to shot me through the wall as i duck back.) and yes i can still see a moving mech fairly far out on it. Not as far as on the day version but then i just flip the TV a short while.

I am still curious how "you have no choice" but to use TV

#27 Empee38

• Pip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:23 PM

View PostAlexEss, on 17 February 2013 - 01:16 PM, said:

I have to ahree (and if you read the thread) that i use TV on frozen city day. But that is the only one and compared to everything else on that map TV is crystal clear.

On RC(N) i use NV for most of it due to the fact that there is a lot of little crap in the way that the TV does not pick up (Like my favourite "joke" of standing behind the blast shield at the spaceport. popping out and shot some only to see people waste tons of ammo trying to shot me through the wall as i duck back.) and yes i can still see a moving mech fairly far out on it. Not as far as on the day version but then i just flip the TV a short while.

I am still curious how "you have no choice" but to use TV

I have no choice because there is zero ambient lighting on the night maps, this isn't a gameplay issue its a poor map design choice. For me having no choice is I am at a severe disadvantage if I don't use it because everyone else is using it. You can be a masochistic pilot and not use Thermal or for some reason the horrid Night Vision, but I am not that kind of person.

There is a glaring problem with the lighting on night maps and the poor implementation of both Thermal and Night Vision.

#28 Mazzyplz

• Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

during the 80s pilots in aircraft carrier had to land the plane with just a few white dots in the darkness of the night at open sea.
you'll be ok.

if you can't use the horrible tools we have in 3050 then you're probably off being a land engineer and not a mechwarrior :rolleyes:

*better off

#29 Wizard LoPan

• PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:27 PM

Because as we know, it makes perfect sense that Man's level of technological ability would be so advanced that we'd have FTL travel such diaspora from Earth is possible, fusion power, etc, and yet night vision and thermal vision technology is worse than it is today in the 21st Century...

Edited by Wizard LoPan, 17 February 2013 - 02:27 PM.

#30 RackJack

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:30 PM

To me the themal isn't that bad. Granted one is in a mech that bounces around and what not so blurring dosen't surprise me in the least.

Firefighters use variations of thermal and flir all the time. Some of the more early models that come to mind were the old Carnis Iris helmets. But there are varied manufacturers out there that make them in both color, black and white. And yes if you turn the camera fairly fast the image did blur, sudder, and look really odd. But that depended on who made the camera and how fast the processor could manage er (process) the frame rate of the image taken.

The issue I have with the NV is there is a lack of intensity adjustment or contrast adjustment. (In it's current state it kinda reminds of me of the older generation NV scopes or goggles.)

My only other thing I've had issues with is the 'blue' lettering when someone talks. Some times it just blends in with parts of the background too much. Unless it is night. I'd almost rather they moved it down so it had a decent consistant contrasted background instead of up in the air.

But my humble opinion is that the thermal isn't too bad in the game. I'm starting to find myself running it off and on even in the day time even just to see how 'hot' some one's elses mech is running. Or if there is some obstruction messing with my view.

#31 Mister Haha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 527 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:33 PM

View Postmwhighlander, on 17 February 2013 - 11:35 AM, said:

You think the Thermal is bad? You should take a look at the nightvision. *shudder*

Yeah. Thermal's fine. Nightvision isn't useful on any map - especially the night maps.

#32 Ravennus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:47 PM

View PostGalaxyBluestar, on 16 February 2013 - 09:08 PM, said:

yes but... those map visuals are horrible and you're replacing it with something only a little less horrible. thermal isn't terrible but it blurs unless you come to a complete halt... and you don't want to do that.

... your Thermal Vision is blurry? Whaaaaa?

Why isn't mine? It's actually fairly clear, unless I'm on Caustic or want to pick out specific details on an overheated mech.... everything else is fine, just different shades of blue.

Different computer setups?

#33 TurinAlexander

• PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:53 PM

How exactly does the game force you to look at things in thermal? I never use thermal. No one has ever come into my house, put a gun to my head and made me use it. Maybe the devs only reserve that treatment for certain people and I don't qualify...

#34 Budor

• 2,565 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 02:58 PM

You put yourself at a disadvantage when not using thermal on all maps but frozen-night and caustic. It has much better range than NV to which is unfortunate.

Edited by Budor, 17 February 2013 - 03:02 PM.

#35 Erasus Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 383 posts
  • LocationUnited States Of Mind

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:04 PM

hmm, i play most of the time in thermal. even on non- night or snowstorm maps. i so got used to it that its actually pretty hard for me to see things like mechs on normal vision to respond quick enough.

but this zoom module really is utterly useless, at least for me. when a mech stands near a building, i cannot distinguish where the mech ends and the building begins. i do not see the purpose on that module.

#36 Khanahar

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bold
  • The Bold
  • 560 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:44 PM

Well, I tend to use thermal as a "quick check" mode, which helps with the problems you're mentioning.
For example:
-Expecting an enemy to pop over a ridge? Turn on thermal.
-Need to check an enemy's heat level? Turn on thermal.
-Hunting a 'mech through soft cover? Turn on thermal.
And then turn it right off so you can see better and not give yourself a headache. I do this even on the night map. Except when I man-mode it and use no modes at all. -.-

#37 Clay Pigeon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 1,121 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:50 PM

Pay 20 dollars worth of MC for paint.

Shoot blue blobs.

#38 S1lent0ne

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 96 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

View PostEmpee38, on 17 February 2013 - 01:04 PM, said:

All they would have to do it change the color scheme from Predator style to White hot for heat signatures.

This x1000. I understand the concept of lostech but really, it only took us a few years from inventing thermal to realize what produced the best images for clarity and target acquisition.

I also like the idea of the short range clarity of the NV (in greyscale) overlaid with a white-hot thermal. I would even like it if it was a module. Call it 'Advanced Optics' or something.

#39 Rippthrough

• Mercenary
  • 1,201 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:06 PM

Thermal is too good, I run around in it constantly, which kinda makes the nice graphical effects completely pointless.

#40 Zeus X

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,307 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:18 PM

Real life thermals

Posted Image

MWO Thermals

Posted Image

The images speak for them self.