Matchmaking Phase 3

Feedback v1.2.190

483 replies to this topic

#61 Mackman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:06 PM

I just wish we could hear something from the devs on this... is it due solely to lack of server population? because that seems really unlikely. Is it a bug? Will it be fixed?

#62 Zedaraaz

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:07 PM

Having the same issue, with matches, more fails than game starts

#63 Kalteh

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

Look here:
https://mwomercs.com...age__p__1920462

#64 JesterMWO

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationFife, Scotland

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:08 PM

I'm in Europe and read to play! Failed to find matches about 70% of the time so far and searches for 1-2 minutes at a time.

I've also had my first-ever disconnect. Frustrating but I'm not giving up. :)

#65 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 19 February 2013 - 12:55 PM, said:

No matching of mech types (lights / mediums etc.) is total and complete bullsh*t !

Dunno what you're talking about. They don't say nothing about that in the patch notes and the match below is perfectly balanced (as far as categories go). Both teams have 2 lights, 3 heavies and 3 assaults.

View PostDihm, on 19 February 2013 - 12:26 PM, said:

The matchmaker is putting ungrouped folks up against 8 man teams.

Posted Image

It even illustrates why matching by weight class (instead of simply weight) is not a good idea: two Awesomes and a Stalker matched against three D-DCs. Even putting all the ECM aside, that's a 55 ton difference right there (on TT I would demand to bring an extra Hunchie, :) ). Of course [matching weight] = [still more wait time]

Edited by Darkblood, 19 February 2013 - 01:15 PM.

#66 Aggressor666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 158 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:10 PM

View PostMackman, on 19 February 2013 - 01:06 PM, said:

I just wish we could hear something from the devs on this... is it due solely to lack of server population? because that seems really unlikely. Is it a bug? Will it be fixed?

they are likely cursing up a storm trying to fix it

#67 DisasterTheory

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

And no, this was no sync drop..... we selected the 4 man option even though there was only 2 of us..... The enemy team was an 8 man premade (they even admited it.... and were all in founders mechs.) They had wanted to play another 8 man... but instead found us.... a 2 man with 6 PUG's.

ELO isn't working like you want ..... Hotfix it. (roll it back)

#68 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:11 PM

View PostDarkblood, on 19 February 2013 - 01:09 PM, said:

Dunno what you're talking about. They don't say nothing about that in the patch notes and the match below is perfectly balanced (as far as categories go). Both teams have 2 lights, 3 heavies and 3 assaults.

Well I've just had a match where our team had 2 Cataphracts and 6 other mechs were all under 60 tons, other team at the same time had 2 Atlases, 4 Cataphracts and smth else.

#69 Werewolf486 ScorpS

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,271 posts
  • LocationSinsinnati Ohio

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

No problem finding a match, just issues with matchmaker putting up uneven tonnages against each other. No assaults on one team and 3 on the other. Not what I'd call matched.

#70 Venraa

• PipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 25 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

Got into my first match after the patch. Took the matchmaker about 30s to find a game. Tried 2 more times solo and got no match. Then grouped with a friend and got 3 games in a row as a duo. Even had a dev in the last game trying to look into the matchmaking problems. Back solo now and can't get a match again.

#71 StalaggtIKE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 2,304 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:13 PM

View PostKalteh, on 19 February 2013 - 01:08 PM, said:

The question is: Will we be waiting till March 5th for a fix?

#72 Jack Hughes

Rookie

• 2 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:15 PM

I agree with the suggestions for tweaking the match making. Allow for users to say if they want skill matching, class matching, etc. Allow for disregard of all matching if they JUST WANT TO PLAY.

#73 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:16 PM

What about matching 5 heavys, 1 medium, 1 assault and a single light vs 2 heavys, 5 medium and 1 light?

I wouldn't have a problem, when i know that the other force has more weight....but actually i'm still thinking, that a medium in my team means a medium in the other.

Similar happens now 2 out of 7 times.

Posted Image

Edited by Karl Streiger, 19 February 2013 - 01:25 PM.

#74 Dihm

• 3,312 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationPlanet Trondheim

The two matches I've been able to get I think have been balanced by class, I know the first one was. The problem is the undocumented change that teams are now dropping against the ungrouped.

And the fact that it's almost impossible to get a match dropping alone, it seems.

Edited by Dihm, 19 February 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#75 Kalteh

• PipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 32 posts

View PostStalaggtIKE, on 19 February 2013 - 01:13 PM, said:

The question is: Will we be waiting till March 5th for a fix?

Well, in that case I will be taking a timeout. I just got just 3 games in almost one and a half hour...

#76 Law Man

Rookie

• 1 posts

View PostRichard Greifenklau, on 19 February 2013 - 12:51 PM, said:

well, sorry about that... we were as surprised as you... was never mentioned that 8-man-groups will drop against not-8-man-groups again...

I ran into that group twice in a row and my whole team was individual drops. Not sure whats causing it but i'm sure it'll get fixed if it happens enough.

also having the same launch issues, 2-3 fails in a row on both my hunchback and my stalker. Guess I wasted my premium time a little too early this morning. Oh well at least it was free anyway.

Edited by Law Man, 19 February 2013 - 01:24 PM.

#77 Johnw007

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationEngland

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:17 PM

I'm also getting timeouts on match finding.

Am I really so bad no-one wants to play with me?

Edited by Johnw007, 19 February 2013 - 01:18 PM.

#78 RenegadeMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • LocationUSA's Caustic Valley: Arizona

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:21 PM

This poses a good question: With Phase 3 and use of ELO, are different sized groups (2-4 man and 8 mans) getting mixed together?

The only thing I know of that comes close to addressing the question is this Command Chair post:

At the start of a match, all player's on ONE team have their Elo ratings totaled and divided by 8 (max players). You may realized that this is simply the AVERAGE of a team's total Elo. Team 1's average and Team 2's average are then used to calculate the probability of win (as per the formulas above). If Team 1 beats Team 2, then the appropriate math as above is applied to each player using the probability score calculated by the team averages.

BTW, one does not simply rollback an MMO server farm...or any enterprise server cluster for that matter :)
Tuning will be perpetual.

#79 Pilotasso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 365 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:22 PM

Think theres too many variables for matchmaking with the number of players online. Result: long waits untill the perfect teams comes along.

Seriously, I suggested earlier a match maker with fewer variables like time spent online, all players with similar expertize would be grouped together. Tonnage is way overrated, Assaults are NOT force multipliers, infact lights are closer to that than the former.

#80 Mawai

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,495 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:26 PM

The matchmaker appears to be broken.

Mech: Jenner

Mode Select: ANY : 6 attempts to find a match ... 6 failures.

Mode Select: ASSAULT : 3 attempts for find a match ... 2 successes .... 1 failure.

Mode Select CONQUEST: 3 attempts to find a match ... 2 successes ... 1 failure.

There should be lots of people around. Even in the worst case the matchmaker should be able to create a match comparable to the pre-patch state though that probably should represent a worst case scenario.It seemed like I had better success with specific modes rather than letting the matchmaker choose but it is a limited data set.

Edited by Mawai, 19 February 2013 - 02:20 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users