17 replies to this topic

#1 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I don´t know if anyone has already one of these made, but I was feeling up to it and just did it.

This is the actual heat generated by alpha striking with same-type weapons now. I calculated them using the math posted here: http://mwomercs.com/...cale-the-maths/ but there could be mistakes. The original excel files are also linked below, if anyone wants to check it up.

Posted Image

xls file available upon request

Any feedback is welcome.

edit: stronger colors indicating when the heat penalties kick in

Edited by Darkblood, 25 July 2013 - 10:15 AM.
removed direct link to external file

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 01:46 PM

AC/20 - 4 fired multiplier.. I am picturing a King Crab with 1 AC/20 in each arm and in each side torso (4 AC/20s in total), standard 300 engine, decent amount of ammo and 12 double heatsinks (due to lack of space).

Stuck on chainfire, of course.

Edited by Koniving, 22 July 2013 - 01:46 PM.

#3 MadSavage

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 241 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 July 2013 - 02:00 PM

Wow, didn't realize that ac/20 penalty was so huge!!!

#4 Joseph Mallan

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 35,216 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationMallanhold, Furillo

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:04 AM

View PostMadSavage, on 22 July 2013 - 02:00 PM, said:

Wow, didn't realize that ac/20 penalty was so huge!!!

I did! It's what pissed me off the most.

2 LRM 20s get no penalty but the 3rd only has a +3 heat! The penalty on that ballistic is unfair.

The entire system is BS.

Edited by Joseph Mallan, 23 July 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#5 Alaskan Nobody

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:30 PM

The entire system is (to my understanding anyways, and in part) to help nerf the direct-fire > non-direct-fire issue

#6 Benjamin Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 367 posts
  • LocationIn my Spider 5D, killing all your Dire Wolves.

Posted 23 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 July 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

2 LRM 20s get no penalty but the 3rd only has a +3 heat! The penalty on that ballistic is unfair.

The entire system is BS.

Have to agree. Slapping added penalties on ballistics is crazy.

#7 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 24 July 2013 - 02:03 PM

View PostKoniving, on 22 July 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

AC/20 - 4 fired multiplier.. I am picturing a King Crab with 1 AC/20 in each arm and in each side torso (4 AC/20s in total), standard 300 engine, decent amount of ammo and 12 double heatsinks (due to lack of space).

Wow man, that would be a beast, regardless of heat penalty.

Try to picture a nice macro to fire these 4 guys timed 0.5 seconds apart: 80 damage in 2 seconds. Either that or a constant firing of a AC20 each second: POW POW POW POW

#8 evilC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,298 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:11 AM

Thanks for this. Could you perchance alter the colour for each square that has a penalty? So for example make the 3rd PPC row darker or something to indicate at what point the penalties kick in. I know this info is in the original data, but it would be nice to be able to visualize everything from one chart.

View PostJoseph Mallan, on 23 July 2013 - 06:04 AM, said:

The entire system is BS.

Yes, but dual LRM20s are not as big an issue to gameplay as ac40 jagers popping you out of nowhere with no warning.
However, I think that if they did this to AC20, they should do it to gauss as well.

View PostKoniving, on 22 July 2013 - 01:46 PM, said:

Unfortunately not possible.
With 4xAc20, the biggest block you have free is 2 slots (Legs, Side Torsos, CT) - you cannot fit any DHS beyond EHS.

View PostDarkblood, on 24 July 2013 - 02:03 PM, said:

Wow man, that would be a beast, regardless of heat penalty.

Try to picture a nice macro to fire these 4 guys timed 0.5 seconds apart: 80 damage in 2 seconds. Either that or a constant firing of a AC20 each second: POW POW POW POW

No need to picture, I already wrote the macro. Settings would be: Sequence: 3,4,5,6 - Delay: 500 - "Limit Fire Rate": On.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:40 AM

View PostevilC, on 25 July 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

Unfortunately not possible.

Failed to read engine size? 12 DHS. 10 for 250 engine. Standard 300 = 2 free slots in the engine. Hence 12 engine heatsinks. Possible. ^_~

#10 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

View PostShar Wolf, on 23 July 2013 - 08:30 PM, said:

The entire system is (to my understanding anyways, and in part) to help nerf the direct-fire > non-direct-fire issue

I think that was the idea too but it isn't actually fixing the underlying issue with direct fire - that you can pinpoint multiple weapons to the same spot in a very short period of time.

Also, it is going to be interesting to see how they try to build charts like this into UI 2.0 so users can look up what their weapons will do and why.

edit> Also, the new system breaks a lot of stock builds! The king crab and the hunchback iiC are examples of mechs that have twin AC20's or ultra 20's (clan mech) or the Awesome which in one build has 3 PPCs. There's a clan mech called the nova cat that can mount 9x ER Medium lasers.

I think this change is a kludge that might help a little bit in the short run and will fix very little in the long run while adding a lot of complexity for them to keep balance and updated. Actually in the short term I still see plenty of mechs with a gauss rifle and a couple of PPCs on the field.

Edited by Tolkien, 25 July 2013 - 09:53 AM.

#11 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:27 AM

View PostevilC, on 25 July 2013 - 09:11 AM, said:

Thanks for this. Could you perchance alter the colour for each square that has a penalty? So for example make the 3rd PPC row darker or something to indicate at what point the penalties kick in.

Done!

View PostTolkien, on 25 July 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

I think that was the idea too but it isn't actually fixing the underlying issue with direct fire
[...]
Also, the new system breaks a lot of stock builds!

I agree and I disagree. I don´t like this "fix" because people will just move o combination of weapons with similar damage/range and continue to do pinpoint big alphas (Gauss+PPC+AC/10 or 6Md Lasers+ AC20) completely circumventing the fix. So I agree with you in that.

Now, the point of "breaking" stock builds is moot. Because those builds are stock in tabletop. And in tabletop none of these weapons where ever intended to hit the same place at the same time. So you can still fire the 3 PPCs in your Awesome, and do 30 damage in the space of 1 second (1.5 seconds if you use chain fire instead of a Macro), they just won´t all hit the same spot. I just wish the fixed it in the simplest way, by giving Cone of Fires to these weapons (which is sort of what you have in TT) instead of trying to fix it with heat. Because heat is so easy to avoid

(I´ve already seem people in TS relating how their 4 PPCs stalkers are working just fine with two groups of 2 PPCs macroed to fire with a .5 second delay. On average/slow moving targets the end result is actually hitting the same place twice, so no fix there).

#12 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 25 July 2013 - 06:12 PM

View PostTolkien, on 25 July 2013 - 09:50 AM, said:

edit> Also, the new system breaks a lot of stock builds!

Doesn't fix the direct fire issue no, but short of throwing player skill a gut-punch by adding RNG to our accuracy what would?
I'm not saying there is no answer to that, but rather the only suggestions I've been seeing are RNG which I have very mixed feelings about....

It does do something to alpha striking without -overly- hurting boaters though, ever hear of chainfire?

I am looking forward to the charts though, will be interesting (for me at least) to see how they do it - good or bad.

As for breaking the stock builds, consider the Nova carries 12 ER Medium Lasers, 6 in each arm.
(Nowhere near enough heatsinks on that thing to alpha more than once... EVER. Key word being alpha though)

Edited cause it somehow messed up the quote >.>

Edited by Shar Wolf, 25 July 2013 - 06:14 PM.

#13 Tolkien

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,118 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:34 AM

View PostDarkblood, on 25 July 2013 - 10:27 AM, said:

Done!

[/size]

I agree and I disagree. I don´t like this "fix" because people will just move o combination of weapons with similar damage/range and continue to do pinpoint big alphas (Gauss+PPC+AC/10 or 6Md Lasers+ AC20) completely circumventing the fix. So I agree with you in that.

Now, the point of "breaking" stock builds is moot. Because those builds are stock in tabletop. And in tabletop none of these weapons where ever intended to hit the same place at the same time. So you can still fire the 3 PPCs in your Awesome, and do 30 damage in the space of 1 second (1.5 seconds if you use chain fire instead of a Macro), they just won´t all hit the same spot. I just wish the fixed it in the simplest way, by giving Cone of Fires to these weapons (which is sort of what you have in TT) instead of trying to fix it with heat. Because heat is so easy to avoid

(I´ve already seem people in TS relating how their 4 PPCs stalkers are working just fine with two groups of 2 PPCs macroed to fire with a .5 second delay. On average/slow moving targets the end result is actually hitting the same place twice, so no fix there).

View PostShar Wolf, on 25 July 2013 - 06:12 PM, said:

Doesn't fix the direct fire issue no, but short of throwing player skill a gut-punch by adding RNG to our accuracy what would?
I'm not saying there is no answer to that, but rather the only suggestions I've been seeing are RNG which I have very mixed feelings about....

It does do something to alpha striking without -overly- hurting boaters though, ever hear of chainfire?

I am looking forward to the charts though, will be interesting (for me at least) to see how they do it - good or bad.

As for breaking the stock builds, consider the Nova carries 12 ER Medium Lasers, 6 in each arm.
(Nowhere near enough heatsinks on that thing to alpha more than once... EVER. Key word being alpha though)

Edited cause it somehow messed up the quote >.>

My complaint about the breaking of stock builds is for two reasons - firstly it's an emotional reaction to another kick to the shins of the awesome, since it is a mech with 3 ppcs stock that is in no danger of being considered OP due to its massive silhouette making it hard to miss. The second is just the conceptual complaint that big changes like this are being made that punish/make unviable builds that weren't amazing to begin with while only slightly altering the builds that people use to instagib enemies.

I have seen many more Gauss rifles mixed in with the PPCs, including many more dual gauss Jagermechs, so the long range pinpoint damage game is alive and well :/ (SRMs are more common on the field which is nice, but we will see if that persists or if its just people trying them out now that they got a 33% damage buff to offset dodgy hit detection).

The longer term efficacy of the heat scale approach punishing copies of the same weapon is also dubious> When clan mechs come along it will be possible to build mechs with 2 gauss 2 errppc. Since clan ERPPCs do 15 damage each this will be right back to 60 damage on a pinpoint, but at less heat and on a faster moving platform. Also, if clan ultra AC's work the way inner sphere ones do, the clan ultra 20 will be one hell of a double/triple tap that will wreck up heavy/assault mechs if all those shells can go to the centre.

I understand the aversion to RNG but the world is full of it too - wind, vibration on a vehicle, wear in the weapon, temperature from -60 c to +90c all serve to change where the bullet will go from a real barrel. Arguments for/against immersion aside I honestly think it would be better for game play to enforce some randomization of damage allocation to let big mechs last a little longer.

For example I think if a target takes hits from multiple weapons within 0.5 seconds, only the first should go exactly where it hit the model and the others should be spread - other games like MPBT just auto spread your damage if you did an alpha strike, so this isn't too radical a departure from what has been done before.

It would still require skill to put your shots on target and in 1:1 combat it would still let you go for a damaged location on an enemy, but it would make it much less suicidal to crest a ridge in anything slower than 80 kph.

edit> sorry, kinda off topic from OP's post which is a great PSA about how much heat one generates when firing n copies of a weapon.

Edited by Tolkien, 26 July 2013 - 12:59 AM.

#14 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 26 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

I do not have that much trouble with RNG in my games (check the ones I quoted) - but the makers of MWO have repeatedly stated a strong aversion to it - especially the cone idea. (on the other hand they had an aversion to 3pv to, until the European forums rang up such a clamor for it -we here in the US may not want it)

I am currently hoping for a solution possibly along the lines of torso mounted weapons do not converge at all (why would they?)
A delayed convergence idea is also interesting (takes time for the mech to set it up or what have you)
But when all the developers see when they visit the forums is "RNG! GIVE US RNG!"

Last time I went looking for alternatives I had to go 4 pages into the backlog to find anything else (it HAS been a bit though)

Not trying to cause an argument, although somewhere along the lines I lost track of what I WAS trying to do so.....

#15 smurfynet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 403 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 11:15 AM

Nice i really like what you have done, in fact i liked it that much, i just added a similar table to my site aswell. (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale)

All data except the scale values come directly from the gamefiles, so it will be updated to all changes once a patch comes out.

Phil

#16 Jay Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 436 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 July 2013 - 09:11 PM

View Postsmurfynet, on 26 July 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Nice i really like what you have done, in fact i liked it that much, i just added a similar table to my site aswell. (http://mwo.smurfy-ne...eapon_heatscale)

All data except the scale values come directly from the gamefiles, so it will be updated to all changes once a patch comes out.

Phil

cheers bro

#17 BoPop

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 543 posts

Posted 27 July 2013 - 04:49 PM

View PostDarkblood, on 22 July 2013 - 01:30 PM, said:

I don´t know if anyone has already one of these made, but I was feeling up to it and just did it.

This is the actual heat generated by alpha striking with same-type weapons now. I calculated them using the math posted here: http://mwomercs.com/...cale-the-maths/ but there could be mistakes. The original excel files are also linked below, if anyone wants to check it up.

Posted Image

xls file available upon request

Any feedback is welcome.

edit: stronger colors indicating when the heat penalties kick in

sweet!

#18 Darkblood

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 370 posts
  • LocationBrazil

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:27 AM

View Postsmurfynet, on 26 July 2013 - 11:15 AM, said:

Phil

Great! Happy to have somehow contributed to your site :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users