- - - - -

Gone For 5 Months... A Lot Has Changed

7 replies to this topic

#1 sp4m

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:56 PM

I've been out of the loop for a while, so I popped into a training grounds mission today, and had the following observations.
I would appreciate hearing your feedback on a few things that have changed.

First, I have 2 mechs in my bays that have a blue "XPx2" over them. What's that about?

Second, it looks like they've implemented 3rd person camera. What's the community response to this?

Third, it looks like there's a sort of auto aim that the third person view gets, but it looks like it has preferential aiming to limbs. Is that the case? Why was that implemented, can it be enabled for cockpit view as well, and would I want to?

Thanks!

#2 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:08 PM

The 2xp means you earn double XP for that mech on your first win of the day. you cans earn this once per day for each mech!

The community generally doesn't like 3pv, and moreso they hate that PGI said there would be separate queues for 1st person and 3rd person (there is not, so far). Expect many strongly opinionated replies to follow about this topic.

The reticule "hops" in 3rd person mode but it is not an auto-aim assist. It is the reticule moving closer and further away in 3-d space; it hops when you move from a near object to a far object or vice versa. It technically happens in 1st person as well but there is no parallax when in 1st person view (your view matches the mech's line of sight in 1st person; they do not match in 3rd person)

#3 Alaskan Nobody

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 10,358 posts
  • LocationAlaska!

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:17 PM

A person coming back and not exploding about the changes?

Has Armageddon/Ragnarok/End-of-the-world-of-your-choice happened with out me noticing?

In spite of all that though - what Redshift2k5 said pretty much covers it... I think?

#4 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:22 PM

Welcome back o/

Double XP bonus is great! You get it for your first win. It resets at 0000 GMT.

3POV doesn't bug me in the slightest... not even remotely... I literally couldn't care less. I understand that there are a lot of entitled delicate snowflakes who feel that they were lied to about a feature in a game that was in Development and said snowflakes are, in snowflake fashion, flailing with arms and legs while foaming at the mouth thrashing on the floor 2 year old style. A promise about a feature in a program that was in BETA! Right... seriously... BETA as if the last 30 years of software development hasn't shown explicitly and exquisitely that promises about Beta software are like promises from Politicians. This has me deeply amused. On a side note the only time I use 3POV is to check to see if the doors on my Catapult are open.

There is no auto-aim.

Other neat stuff!
LRMs work!
SRMs work!
SSRMs won't core you most of the time!
(ER)PPCs have been nerfed into the abyss! Praise be to Holy Mecha!
Gauss Rifles just got whacked!
The CTF-3D is not the super OP FOTM (well 5 months) pwn boat it has been!
HSR fixes means we actually hit what we shoot... sorta... still workin on whether todays patch is good
UAC5s are usuable
Pulse Lasers are still unusable along with Flamers
MGs are basically neat
AC2s got smacked by a Ninja Nerf Heat Stacking Penalty because cry babies just couldn't stand the fact that a Macro was used *GASP* A macro that made AC2s suck more not suck less by the way!
We got some new mechs! Most of them sucked! Only one of them seriously sucks. All of them have a scaling problem but that isn't really PGIs fault entirely. What can you do for scaling when your shortest mech (Jenner) is 9.4m tall and the tallest is 17m (Atlas). Not a lot of room. Of course you could NOT MAKE AN ENTIRE MECH OUT OF CENTER TORSO IN COMPLETE DIPWAD FASHION LIKE THE KINTARO was but got fixed today!

Think I covered the highlights...

View PostShar Wolf, on 03 September 2013 - 05:17 PM, said:

A person coming back and not exploding about the changes?

Has Armageddon/Ragnarok/End-of-the-world-of-your-choice happened with out me noticing?

In spite of all that though - what Redshift2k5 said pretty much covers it... I think?

Yeah right? I'm making up for with a bunch of snarky comments to get in before the precious snowflakes arrive!

EDIT: Fixed the Mech comment

Edited by scJazz, 03 September 2013 - 05:45 PM.

#5 TheGreatNoNo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 448 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:34 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 03 September 2013 - 05:08 PM, said:

The community generally doesn't like 3pv, and moreso they hate that PGI said there would be separate queues for 1st person and 3rd person (there is not, so far). Expect many strongly opinionated replies to follow about this topic.

Hey now, its good for fashion! I can now see how close my colors match the map for half assed cameo, that and it is good for giving away positions, on both sides!

#6 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:37 PM

View PostscJazz, on 03 September 2013 - 05:22 PM, said:

Pulse Lasers are still unusable along with Flamers

We got some new mechs! Most of them sucked!

Got my butt kicked by a Quickdraw with 5 Medium Pulse lasers earlier! Knew he was coming but he was fast enough to close in and stick to me, immune to my PPCs and my team was a little too slow to bail me out.

The Victor was a huge success. Kintaro not so much.

Edited by Redshift2k5, 03 September 2013 - 05:38 PM.

#7 scJazz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,668 posts
  • LocationNew London, CT

Posted 03 September 2013 - 05:43 PM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 03 September 2013 - 05:37 PM, said:

Got my butt kicked by a Quickdraw with 5 Medium Pulse lasers earlier! Knew he was coming but he was fast enough to close in and stick to me, immune to my PPCs and my team was a little too slow to bail me out.

The Victor was a huge success. Kintaro not so much.

By most, I wasn't referring to the Quickdraw <_< In a fashion very much uncharacteristic for me I actually kept 2 of them the 4G and 4H and yes my 4H is running LRMs with no TAG Mastered no less... nyeahhh nyeahh nya nya!

Still not sure about the Victor... might be that I really am allergic to Assaults.

All right come to think of it...

we got lots of mechs most of them didn't totally suck but we still have this scaling problem!

#8 Kaarde

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts
  • LocationState of confusion

Posted 03 September 2013 - 06:21 PM

Regardless of what others have said here or feel about the 3pv, there was a large forum upset when it came out due to the **** poor communications concerning it. Not to mention the lack of regard that Russ showed the population. Even if others disagree, those who were upset about the changes had a valid reason to be.

As a result of those actions, many players refunded their Pheonix packages, and many have left the game at least for a little while. Will it overly effect the game? Likely not too badly. Has it changed the course? Probably.

One of the concerns is that 3pv will get buffs over time that will relegate 1pv to the back seat, which is something that many do not want to see. Considering that they readjusted the camera view now so that the legs are now visible on the mechs one could say that its already begun as the 3pv now has a wider FOV then it did just two weeks ago.

Many of the new mechs in game are pretty good. Others have some issues that hopefully will be resolved in the near future. PGI did say that several mechs will get scaling passes to alleviate some concerns about them.

The PPC/ERPPC and Gauss changes today are too new to determine how they will effect the meta. Likely LL or the like will get more use. Though for damage dealing purposes, I don't see either of the effected weapons systems be relegated to the garage like flamers are.

There is a hope that UI 2.0 is going to make its appearance with the Game Launch that is coming the 17th. And with it many of the things that the populace has been calling for over the last year.

Time will tell where this road is leading. PGI has a long way to go to keep this IP alive.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users