- - - - -

1St Person Only?

37 replies to this topic

#1 Jarek Kain

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

I stopped playing for a while and returned, but I can't find the settings for playing only in or against 1st person perspective players. Am I overlooking it or is the option not there?

#2 Firemage

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 120 posts
  • LocationDetroit

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:57 PM

In options Un-check "start in 3rd person"
In game you can use F4 to switch views.

-G

#3 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 13 February 2014 - 10:59 PM

There is no option for excluding 3PV players. They can't really afford to split the player base like that.

#4 Evil Ed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 527 posts
  • LocationStavanger, Norway

Posted 13 February 2014 - 11:01 PM

Drop in 12-man.

#5 Victor Morson

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 12:27 AM

View PostJarek Kain, on 13 February 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

I stopped playing for a while and returned, but I can't find the settings for playing only in or against 1st person perspective players. Am I overlooking it or is the option not there?

Welcome to the reason behind the first forum riots: Poorly implemented 3rd person ahead of things we needed.

That said, it's only disabled in 12 mans.

#6 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:16 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 February 2014 - 12:27 AM, said:

Welcome to the reason behind the first forum riots: Poorly implemented 3rd person ahead of things we needed.
That said, it's only disabled in 12 mans.
  • Not the first forum riots - people always complained and will always complain.
  • Not allowing it in your team when the system allows it only limits your options. I'm surprised that this comes from a competitive player like you. "Nah, I'm not putting the ball into the goal, I don't feel like it today" is not going to help winning.
  • The phrase you are looking for is "what I wanted". Because no matter how much you dislike it, you still need it. If they would have continued the "hardcore way", the game would be an even more abandoned ghost town where every newbie is punched in the face for even trying to show up and become part of the community (it's still not good enough in that regard). And I doubt you would enjoy trying to find a match, waiting for hours simply because nobody is playing. Without us noobs to smash, there wouldn't be much to do for you here.

Edited by Denolven, 14 February 2014 - 01:19 AM.

#7 Jarek Kain

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:21 AM

Was looking everywhere for the option, thanks for the help guys, going to have to find some 12 man groups.

#8 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:36 AM

View PostDenolven, on 14 February 2014 - 01:16 AM, said:

• The phrase you are looking for is "what I wanted". Because no matter how much you dislike it, you still need it. If they would have continued the "hardcore way", the game would be an even more abandoned ghost town where every newbie is punched in the face for even trying to show up and become part of the community (it's still not good enough in that regard). And I doubt you would enjoy trying to find a match, waiting for hours simply because nobody is playing. Without us noobs to smash, there wouldn't be much to do for you here.

If you believe that 3PV did anything positive for the user base and player retention, you are delusional.

#9 Denolven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 01:53 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 February 2014 - 01:36 AM, said:

If you believe that 3PV did anything positive for the user base and player retention, you are delusional.

Oh I have no doubt about me being mostly delusional, and I have no doubt about you being it too. But you keep thinking you aren't, that's the difference between us.

There is a thing called accessibility. If your product is not accessible, it's a dead product. Third person view increases accessibility (although you are probably right about the implementation - that hidden F4 thing is a bit wonky). So assuming you actually want the game to live, you should differentiate between "I like it" and "it's usefull". You profit from it being there indirectly.

#10 Gasoline

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 338 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:10 AM

I guess what Mr. Morson was going to say, that a good tutorial would probably have done the same, better and with less outrage.

Edited by Gasoline, 14 February 2014 - 02:11 AM.

#11 Molossian Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:19 AM

View PostJarek Kain, on 13 February 2014 - 10:55 PM, said:

There is a 282 page long thread-naught about this.

In case you have some time to burn:
http://mwomercs.com/...ology-feedback/

#12 Turist0AT

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,311 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 02:32 AM

12 man without specific tournament rules are no fun. Youll see what i mean when you do 12 man.

#13 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:06 AM

There is no option for pug matches in "first person only". 3rd person view was determined to be relatively inoffensive and has a minimal effect on gameplay, too minimal to bother creating a deep rift in the player queue. 3rd person view is so neutered that it's not worth abandoning the pug queue over. I agree with the Devs on this, although everyone is welcome to their own opinion.

Best of luck to you finding a group to play 12-mans to run with if that's how you want to play, though!

#14 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:37 AM

View PostDenolven, on 14 February 2014 - 01:53 AM, said:

There is a thing called accessibility. If your product is not accessible, it's a dead product. Third person view increases accessibility (although you are probably right about the implementation - that hidden F4 thing is a bit wonky). So assuming you actually want the game to live, you should differentiate between "I like it" and "it's usefull". You profit from it being there indirectly.

3rd person:
  • Locks your arms no matter what
  • Blocks your view aiming directly ahead of you
  • Creates a blinking "I'm new, KICK ME!" sign over the 'mech
  • ELIMINATES YOUR RADAR ENTIRELY
In short, 3rd person is absolutely and entirely unplayable as a primary view. They crippled it to make people who didn't want it happy, but left it in - with all it's "look over corners and around bends" glory - because somehow they decided it'd help new players that will ditch it first chance they get.

Literally the only people using 3PV are veterans exploiting it and people who haven't been told how to get out of it yet.

It hurts everyone. The very best thing you can do if you are brand new is to hit F4.

Edited by Victor Morson, 14 February 2014 - 09:38 AM.

#15 Victor Morson

• Elite Founder
  • 6,370 posts
  • LocationAnder's Moon

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:42 AM

View PostGasoline, on 14 February 2014 - 02:10 AM, said:

I guess what Mr. Morson was going to say, that a good tutorial would probably have done the same, better and with less outrage.

That or a simple little directional indicator.

The thing that always perplexes me is that tanks in the Battlefield series, among others such as Planetside, use the exact same mechanic for tanks. Nobody is ever horribly confused when their tank operates like this, and I can tell you precisely why:

Posted Image

See that little green box next to "340?" That shows tank/turret facing. The little hand is gunner facing. It's instantly clear to everyone what is going on with this.

Adding a little green outline of a 'mech, a green outline of a torso, and showing them rotate = literally all you needed to do to have anyone who's ever played a game before adapting to this immediately.

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:49 AM

Third person, though, is a terrible disadvantage to anyone using it.

It's really quite useless.

Btw, server going down. Kinda stupid. Thought this was gonna stop. Is there a game changing patch today?

#17 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:50 AM

View PostKoniving, on 14 February 2014 - 09:49 AM, said:

Third person, though, is a terrible disadvantage to anyone using it.

It's really quite useless.

Btw, server going down. Kinda stupid. Thought this was gonna stop. Is there a game changing patch today?

Probably a sale, although last year on Valentine's Day they gave out free premium time too.

#18 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:52 AM

View PostRedshift2k5, on 14 February 2014 - 09:50 AM, said:

Probably a sale, although last year on Valentine's Day they gave out free premium time too.

But new interface... not shutting down for sales. :lol: Was in a match and it was going good!

#19 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 14 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

View PostKoniving, on 14 February 2014 - 09:52 AM, said:

But new interface... not shutting down for sales. :lol: Was in a match and it was going good!

It seems that not shutting down for sales hasn't actually been integrated yet

Om the upside: http://mwomercs.com/...xp-weekend-love

Double XP weekend!

#20 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

View PostVictor Morson, on 14 February 2014 - 09:42 AM, said:

That or a simple little directional indicator.

See that little green box next to "340?" That shows tank/turret facing. The little hand is gunner facing. It's instantly clear to everyone what is going on with this.

Adding a little green outline of a 'mech, a green outline of a torso, and showing them rotate = literally all you needed to do to have anyone who's ever played a game before adapting to this immediately.

We already have a simplified version of this on the radar screen.

The line shows where the feet are pointing. The cone shows where the torso is pointed.

We even have pointers showing the same info on the compass.

There should be no confusion at all, especially if there was a one-minute (hell, even 30-second) tutorial going over it.

But somebody decided that was too difficult to understand, so they put 3PV in.

Edited by Durant Carlyle, 14 February 2014 - 10:04 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users