Discussion On Value

57 replies to this topic

#1 Kilrein

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:19 AM

While most of the player base that engages in derogatory comments don't visit the forums, the whining and gnashing of teeth about people who buy the packages has got to stop.

It's all about relative value people. I do not dispute that the $$ for some of the packages is expensive to some. But just because a player can afford it doesn't make them better or worse than you. I've put more than $1500 into this game in the last 2 years. Am I better than any of you? Nope, I just make a very good salary and this is the only game I play so the value is there and the cost is negligible to me.

Just have to chuckle at the players who feel that they have to tear down those players that chose to spend money on this game, not realizing that those wallet warriors are the ones that enable people who chose not to spend much or any $$ on the game to actually PLAY THE GAME FOR FREE. It's everyone's choice on how to spend their money. Just be thankful that PGI keeps this as a free to play so everyone still has that choice.

So next time you see someone in a gold mech, a founders tag or driving a mad dog, please take the time to thank them for supporting this game.

#2 ApolloKaras

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationSeattle, Washington

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

View PostKilrein, on 26 September 2014 - 09:19 AM, said:

While most of the player base that engages in derogatory comments don't visit the forums, the whining and gnashing of teeth about people who buy the packages has got to stop.

It's all about relative value people. I do not dispute that the $$ for some of the packages is expensive to some. But just because a player can afford it doesn't make them better or worse than you. I've put more than $1500 into this game in the last 2 years. Am I better than any of you? Nope, I just make a very good salary and this is the only game I play so the value is there and the cost is negligible to me.

Just have to chuckle at the players who feel that they have to tear down those players that chose to spend money on this game, not realizing that those wallet warriors are the ones that enable people who chose not to spend much or any $$ on the game to actually PLAY THE GAME FOR FREE. It's everyone's choice on how to spend their money. Just be thankful that PGI keeps this as a free to play so everyone still has that choice.

So next time you see someone in a gold mech, a founders tag or driving a mad dog, please take the time to thank them for supporting this game.

We have a guy in the group who has a gold Dire Wolf, you will not be surprised at the amount of attention he gets on the battlefield. We generally use him as a distraction as we move in lol. Its like people start frothing at the mouth, "MUST...KILL ... GOLD DIRE..."

#3 Kilrein

• PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

View PostSaxie, on 26 September 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

We have a guy in the group who has a gold Dire Wolf, you will not be surprised at the amount of attention he gets on the battlefield. We generally use him as a distraction as we move in lol. Its like people start frothing at the mouth, "MUST...KILL ... GOLD DIRE..."

Yeah, see that all the time, sad but also useful to pick the lemmings off as they all rush to kill the Goldie.

#4 Mothykins

• Talon
  • Talon
  • 1,125 posts
  • Locationilikerice is my hero.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:33 AM

The value is a wee bit off in my honest opinion, as i think they'd net more sales with a lower pricing, but if you want to spend money on a gold whatever, go for it.

If you can afford it, by all means, purchase away.

#5 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:38 AM

Value is relative when it comes to digital items. I guess in the end the value is defined by each and every person individually.

#6 Corduroy Rab

• PipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 41 posts
  • LocationI'm not giving my location to some machine.

I don't think its that people making these comments don't understand that the people that pay for premium/mechs/packages keep the game running financially, but I do think its a convenient way to lash out when they have some kinda in game frustrations.

On the other side I don't think free-to-players really owe those of us who have paid any thanks since they provide more people to shoot than the game would have without a free-to-play model. I have a hard time accepting that this game would have much of a future (or would have made it this far) if it was a full pay to play game.

As far as players being toxic in other games I've played chat bans and restrictions have worked well to combat some of these behaviors.

#7 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Envy green is a ugly color regardless of the reasoning... :P

#8 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Like it or not, doesn't matter, the fact is we wouldn't be playing it if nobody paid. So good for you (and me), but lets not think there's any "Them" versus "Us" type things going on. Just play and have fun, who cares what dumb people think (moneyed or not).

#9 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:55 AM

Meh, I still think shutting tight my wallet is more effective way for PGI to change its ways.

#10 Ph30nix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:58 AM

if people want to spend money i have no problem with it i do too when i think the deal is worth it or i am drunk and have my CC handy.

but people need to also learn to stop bashing those people who believe the costs of the virtual goods are a bit excessive

#11 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 26 September 2014 - 09:59 AM

I spend what i can and i really dont care what anyone else has to say about it....its my money if you want some too work harder. Or come try to take some of mine but i really advise against that... :P

Weather its $1,000,000 or $1.00 its nobodies business but your own what you do with your money. You are however supporting the game even if you have purchased $6.95 worth of MC. I feel you are doing your part best you can and who the hell cares what the nobodies have to say about it? Money and salary are also relative to where you live, your education, job so there will always be someone somewhere who is going to whine that they cannot "haz it all for free?". The hard works of someone else should never just be GIVEN away. Weather its Time or Money you pay for it somehow.

#12 Metus regem

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:03 AM

What I would enjoy is if people would stop calling Clan mechs pay to win, it's not like they are permanently locked behind a pay-wall... I see them more as pay to use early. Since both Wave 1 and Wave 2 are both going to be available for c-bills completely by the middle of March 2015, with the Gargoyle being March 17th 2015.

The only mechs that are locked behind a pay wall, are anything with a (c), (f), (G), (I), (P) tag or a Hero Mech....

#13 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:04 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 26 September 2014 - 09:55 AM, said:

Meh, I still think shutting tight my wallet is more effective way for PGI to change its ways.

I'm pretty sure that's the same thing people said this past economic recession we had in the US which forced many auto manufactures to be sold or shut down. When the money stops the doors close, so think long and hard on that decision.

I have cut my game budget almost by 1/3 for this game until CW starts or they get something worth while out....then they can have some more. I will also more then likely not be buying Wave II due to the current state of the clan mechs and all the nerfs which killed 2/3rds of chassis from the last package. But i still buy a hero mech every now and then and a little MC for mechbays and such because i can afford it and i am also a business owner and i know how hard managing CFO can be.

#14 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:07 AM

View PostSaxie, on 26 September 2014 - 09:23 AM, said:

After I saw Flyby215s Gold Timberwolf on Alpine I really regretted not getting one before they sold out and thought about which 'mech would be my 2nd choice and that would be the Dire Wolf. Besides, it would then let me gift away a Masakari pack to a friend of mine anyway. I then thoguht about how much attention a Dire Wolf gets already and thought "no thanks".

Edited by Kain Thul, 26 September 2014 - 10:09 AM.

#15 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

The value is a wee bit off in my honest opinion, as i think they'd net more sales with a lower pricing, but if you want to spend money on a gold whatever, go for it.

I thought Phoenix was very reasonably priced at $20 per tier.

But $30 per tier for clan mechs is way too much. I definitely think PGI wouldve sold more clan packs with phoenix pack pricing.

#16 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:21 AM

View PostKhobai, on 26 September 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

But $30 per tier for clan mechs is way too much. I definitely think PGI wouldve sold more clan packs with phoenix pack pricing.

As someone whom missed the Phoenix pack, was it like the clan packs, in that you got the Prime or in this case Pheonix version as well as two other version of the chassis? As the Clan packs, even ala cart, let you take that chassis to eilite...

#17 Kain Demos

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:28 AM

I know people will disagree but $10.00 US/mech isn't a bad price. Everyone assigns their own value per dollar but if you consider the time spent to grind the funds to buy the 'mech vs spending $10 (which nowadays may not even buy you a meal at a fast food "restaurant") I don't find it out of line at all.

Same goes for if you were collecting the figures.....buying 24 of them together at a combined price of 10/each wouldn't be seen as a bad buy at all and you can do far more with the virtual version than a plastic one.

Edited by Kain Thul, 26 September 2014 - 10:35 AM.

#18 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:29 AM

View PostKain Thul, on 26 September 2014 - 10:28 AM, said:

I know people will disagree but $10.00 US/mech isn't a bad price. Everyone assigns their own value per dollar but if you consider the time spent to grind the funds to buy the 'mech vs spending $10 (which nowadays may not even buy you a meal at a fast food "restaurant) I don't find it out of line at all.

Same goes for if you were collecting the figures.....buying 24 of them together at combined price of 10/each wouldn't be seen as a bad buy at all and you can do far more with the virtual version than a plastic one.

Not to mention all the vanity items that came with the higher end clan packages...

#19 Quicksilver Aberration

• The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,568 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:30 AM

View PostKhobai, on 26 September 2014 - 10:17 AM, said:

I used to agree with this, until I noticed how expensive for C-Bills/MC the clam mechs were individually. In those terms, the Clam packs were the better deal.

This is still way overpriced imo. Remember the days when we complained about M$'s mech paks for MW4 being too expensive.....the ones that gave you a new weapon type, 4 mechs, and retailed around $13.....those were the days. Now you are lucky if a single mech costs less than $13.

Edited by WM Quicksilver, 26 September 2014 - 10:32 AM.

#20 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 September 2014 - 10:35 AM

I don't know that I'd go so far as to THANKING people, as this is still just a game and they didn't cure cancer or anything, but they definitely don't deserve snide or demeaning comments.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users