I'm A Tweak-Aholoic And It's Utterly Ruined The Game For Me.

21 replies to this topic

#1 Kriegson

• PipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 34 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:13 AM

I love fiddling with mechs, checking out their specs, figuring out an interesting build, testing that, scrapping the idea, moving onto another one, etc.
The only problem is by the time I've found out the idea is untenable and I'm looking at scrapping it, I know there's no way I can afford to sell that and move on to the next idea.
IE like the raven, make a super chicken AC-20. Woo fun! Effective? Not so much.

So I scrap it, OK got some money back. Oh hey, what about trying this mech/build? Oh wait I need a few more MILLION CREDITS.

If there was a way to test them out beforehand, or get my money's worth back, it wouldn't be so bad. But it's a constant grind of literally jump in a match, try to do something, probably die miserably because I'm stuck in trial mechs, immediately grab another mech, do the same thing.

If I could test drive a mech and loadout before I buy it and the parts, I'd be sold. Purchase a premium mech for farming, probably a sub, the works. Because I know there's a light at the end of the tunnel!

But if there's a way to do this, I'm not aware of it. And I've simply given up on the grind just to try things that might end up as a failure and have to start all over, virtually from scratch.

Edited by Kriegson, 23 December 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#2 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:16 AM

http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/

pretty much as close as testing before buying ,but it is more like a planner, with some class constraint (such as lights shouldn't go as below 100kph, or assault as low as 300 armor, etc)

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 23 December 2014 - 10:18 AM.

#3 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:17 AM

Smurfy's mechlab my good man :) that along with the heat simulator is the best youll get

#4 Poptimus Rhyme Wallace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 329 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:19 AM

Do not sell anything, keep dropping.
or spend alot of RL cash.
that is about your options in short, now for actually helpful advice to your situation i suggest ths:

When you create a new frankenstein monster in the mechlab, check its cost to modify, note this number down, start dropping and testing the build, it may suck it may be fun, do not change build untill you have earned the amount it cost to build.

#5 Darwins Dog

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:31 AM

The online mech labs are a start. My other advice to you would be to find a mech that really works for you that can be your go to mech. If you want to spend the RL money, then a hero mech is what you want. Use that to get your cbills and then keep everything (especially engines, NEVER sell an engine). Eventually you get to a point where you never have to spend any money to try new things (unless you are swapping artemis, endo, ferro, etc. in and out of mechs).

I don't think there are any plans for a test drive option in the game. The trial mechs are about the closest that they have given.

#6 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 10:55 AM

Spend some real money, and buy some mech bays... Don't bother selling the mechs, as who knows what mood you will be in down the road.. I think long term.. Who knows what i am going to be into in 2 years, or 5 years if the game keeps going..

Don't make knee jerk reactions to something that doesn't fit today.. As for AC-20 raven, i know some people enjoy them, But to me it is a better AC-5 mech.. Though these days i run all of um with MPL's or ML's with some machine guns, or missiles depending

Mech bays are cheep, buy um on sale, or just pick up 5 at a clip, for 7 bucks.. hardly wallet breaking, and well worth it.

#7 loopala

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,242 posts
  • LocationDa UP of Mich

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:01 AM

or you can just wait for a test server day, which we need more of BTW. since the last one was aug or so don't hold your breath waiting...

#8 Redshift2k5

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Stone Cold
  • Stone Cold
  • 11,975 posts
  • LocationNewfoundland

Posted 23 December 2014 - 11:11 AM

Eventually you build up sufficient inventory that you never need to buy new weapons, ammo, heatsinks, or engines.

#9 LauLiao

• 1,591 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostPoptimus Rhyme, on 23 December 2014 - 10:19 AM, said:

Do not sell anything

This. Every time you sell back a component you're taking a not-insignificant loss. AFAIK you only get 50% of what you paid back. Say you purchase a 500,000 C-Bill auto cannon to use on a mech. If you keep that component until you need it again, then that is all you'll ever have to pay for it. If you sell it back for the 250,000, then find out later you want another one, that "one" autocannon has now cost you 750,000 C-bills. Every time you sell something back that you may use later you're creating your own inflation.

#10 Jody Von Jedi

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,551 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:50 PM

I made many of the same mistakes early on. I bought and sold several mechs. Guess what's setting in my mech bays right now? Yep, you guessed it, the same mechs I sold when I first started playing.

As others have stated, don't sell anything. I have a glut of STD heat sinks, but that's about the only thing I'll thin out occasionally.

#11 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:54 PM

View PostKriegson, on 23 December 2014 - 10:13 AM, said:

IE like the raven, make a super chicken AC-20. Woo fun! Effective? Not so much.

Doing it wrong.
First time (Doing it wrong; after 4:50 I start doing it right).

These are doing it right.

And I'm not the only one.

(And a few more out there on youtube too).

But my favorite one of all, is the AC/20 Turret-parrot, mounted on top of an Atlas.

Nothing says "BAM, AC/20 to the face!" like a Raven perched on the shoulder of an Atlas playing Turret-AC/20. (Note: Sadly this awesome behavior is not allowed and I did my time; regardless, it's awesome.)

#12 Inveramsay

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts
  • LocationStar's End

Posted 23 December 2014 - 12:57 PM

I only sell off equipment when it is starting to get silly like when I get to 20+ medium lasers or have five 300std engines. I've also sold off things like odd sized engines when trying to scrape money together for when the storm crows were on sale. Other than that you really shouldn't sell off stuff, especially mechs unless you run out of mech bays. I was contemplating selling my thunderbolts because they were rubbish, then the quirks hit and the 5ss is the dogs bollocks

#13 Nick Makiaveli

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 2,188 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in mechdrek

Posted 23 December 2014 - 01:55 PM

Or use alt accounts. Play 25 matches, and use the cadet bonus to buy a mech to play with. Pick a mech you have several ideas for, and play with it. That way you can earn more Cbills for the next tweak. Or don't give up on the build till you at least Basic or Elite it. That way you can try it with all the unlocks. Plus you earn more Cbills. See the pattern?

Or just keep tweaking a given chassis. Surely you had more than one Raven idea? If not, then just run thru an endless stream of alt accounts, since it doesn't seem like you are going to be satisfied with building a stable of mechs. Which is of course the other option, aside from spending money. Buy all three Ravens. Get them at least Elited before you sell 1-3 of them. That way when you move on to the next light you can Elite it with only Basics on the other chassis. Don't like the AC/20 raven? Perhaps a LBX-10 would work better? Just keep messing with it and one day you will realize you have millions in the bank.

Plus now that the events are rolling out on a regular basis, keep your weekends free. Work to earn freebies and hope for a free mech. If nothing else, strip it and sell it. BTW you are keeping at least one of every engine you run across right? Not selling off gear unless you have a huge pile? For example I try to keep my inventory (not counting installed) of ML down to 30.

#14 FETTY WAP

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Angel
  • The Angel
  • 456 posts
  • Locationspaaaace

Posted 23 December 2014 - 02:47 PM

For me, I learn what I'm not good at/don't enjoy playing, and it cuts down my unnecessary tinkering a bit.

#15 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:12 PM

Some builds look awesome in the mechlab, but don't exactly work out in the heat of battle. Try making minor tweaks to address the weaknesses first. If it's really DOA, strip it and keep the equipment. Unless you're really hurting for a mech bay, keep the stripped chassis, too - you might want to revisit it later.

Smurfy's mech lab is a great tool to do your experimenting and finalizing the build. You can work out all of the details before you commit to the game's mech lab and spend the money.

I have built mechs that I thought were really terrible at first - and I've revisited some of those mechs later, made a few tweaks, and built some good machines.

Don't sell anything - that gear comes in handy as your hangar grows.

#16 KodiakGW

• The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:25 PM

It would be nice to make a mech and take it in Testing Grounds before purchasing anything. Including weapon modules.

I'm I the same boat as OP. I'm thinking about picking up the 1N Dragon again and do Dual AC5 to see how fast it recycles with the 50% cumulative cool down. Problem is, do I want to waste the money making the mech to find out it is not that great on damage. I cannot replicate the recycle rate on any other mech in my inventory.

#17 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:26 PM

Is there any word on if the heat sim intends to add quirks? I have an expensive tinkering problem too...
and it revolves around energy mechs...

#18 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:33 PM

I've got like 47 IS medium lasers 8 IS AC 20s 3 300 engines and tons more. Now I'm grinding for clan gears.

#19 Piney II

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 23 December 2014 - 03:38 PM

A test drive prior to purchase would be a very cool feature, but even then would not tell the complete story unless you're fighting another team.

I don't see that happening.

#20 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,565 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 23 December 2014 - 04:25 PM

I'm the same.

My biggest issue was that I had a plethora of mechs, and no idea where all my equipment was. It's hard to experiment when you have to hunt through dozens of dusty machines looking for the bits you want. More often than not, I would give up and just buy the stuff I needed, even though I already had multiples of it in other place.

Now, I pretty much strip every single mech I'm not actively using. The amount of extra equipment I had absolutely boggled me. I sold all the useless engines I never use, and made an obscene amount of cash. No more module hunting for me!

Edited by Kiiyor, 23 December 2014 - 04:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users