When Will Battlemech Aesthetics Be Updated?

BattleMechs Gameplay General

13 replies to this topic

#1 Deathz Jester

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:20 AM

I know it may seem trivial to some but I find it to be slightly immersion breaking and annoying to play certain mechs and not have their visuals change based on their loadout. Example slapping ERLLs on an awesome instead of PPCs and still seeing the giant (low res looking) PPC muzzles. Or the dragons like Fang & Flame, among various other mechs. I don't own many of the outdated model mechs, by I've seen a number of them in CW that don't look right firing weapons that don't visually show up on them.

Again I know it may seem trivial but its frustrating that mechs like the centurion that came around the same time as the Awesome or even mechs that came after got updated models. I know it just seems like I'm bitching about the Awesome specifically, that happens to be the be one of the main ones I see in CW without updated models, and one I own several of.

Anyone know what I mean? Anyone feel the same? Any info on it?

Edited by Iron Harlequin, 30 December 2014 - 01:23 AM.

#2 Karl Marlow

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,277 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:26 AM

The models do change when stuff is added. I just wish the Lasers had barrels. I know that isn't really nesicerry with a Laser but it would look cooler and on most art you see PPC's and Lasers with Barrels.

#3 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:40 AM

Well an idea of what I'm talking about is

Look at Flame in the mechbay, take out the ballistic weapon from the left torso, there's still a small barrel AC showing even when its empty or whether its an MG, Gauss, AC20, etc.

Take all the weapons off of an Awesome 9M, all the hard points still look like the weapons are mounted.

But take an Atlas and say replace an arm mounted laser with a PPC and you see it change into a PPC barrel, or remove the AC20 and replace it with an UAC5, you'll see the multibarreled UAC5 appear. Or remove the ballistic altogother and the rightside of the atlas becomes smooth.

#4 The Wakelord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 308 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:42 AM

View PostThomasMarik, on 30 December 2014 - 01:26 AM, said:

The models do change when stuff is added. I just wish the Lasers had barrels. I know that isn't really nesicerry with a Laser but it would look cooler and on most art you see PPC's and Lasers with Barrels.

Not all mechs get this Marik.

eg: The Cicada. When I remove the UAC5 and have 2 ERLL it still shows the UAC5 in the mech. It is annoying.

#5 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:44 AM

So, are you asking how long it will be until they make the Awesome, Flame, and others look worse, as they did the K2 and the Centurion?

#6 Risko Vinsheen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 573 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:00 AM

Not all mechs have been updated. It takes time to rework the models.

Personally I want my Centurion's gun arm back.

Edited by Risko Vinsheen, 30 December 2014 - 02:00 AM.

#7 PitchBlackYeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:01 AM

View PostAethon, on 30 December 2014 - 01:44 AM, said:

So, are you asking how long it will be until they make the Awesome, Flame, and others look worse, as they did the K2 and the Centurion?

Worse or not, I for one am willing to take the risk for immersion's sake. WYSIWYG has always been an important part for me. I am also against scaling weapons with chassis, when you put a PPC on a Spider or AC/20 on a Raven it should look as it was just about to tip the mech over. Screw hitbox balance, I want huge-ass AC/20's and not pew-pew BB guns that are smaller than AC/2's on a Jager.

#8 Aethon

• Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:23 AM

View PostPitchBlackYeti, on 30 December 2014 - 02:01 AM, said:

Worse or not, I for one am willing to take the risk for immersion's sake. WYSIWYG has always been an important part for me. I am also against scaling weapons with chassis, when you put a PPC on a Spider or AC/20 on a Raven it should look as it was just about to tip the mech over. Screw hitbox balance, I want huge-ass AC/20's and not pew-pew BB guns that are smaller than AC/2's on a Jager.

I can definitely understand that.

What makes me worry is that there are several cases of this actually making things look worse than the original, IMHO; the K2's tiny PPC's and the Centurion's new, ugly right arm with tiny barrels, to name a couple. I love the big, beefy PPC barrels the Awesome currently has, and really hope they stay when PPC's are equipped.

#9 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 30 December 2014 - 08:06 AM

Be careful what you wish for. There is a 50+ page thread about how TERRIBLE the Catapult A1 launchers are now. The K2 PPC barrels are also a snafu.

I at least hope PGI learned from those mistakes going forward.

#10 Burktross

• Bad Company
  • 3,663 posts
  • LocationStill in closed beta

Posted 30 December 2014 - 09:47 AM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 30 December 2014 - 08:06 AM, said:

Be careful what you wish for. There is a 50+ page thread about how TERRIBLE the Catapult A1 launchers are now. The K2 PPC barrels are also a snafu.

I at least hope PGI learned from those mistakes going forward.

SAVE THE 4H'S HUNCH
#HUNCHINDIVIDUALITY

#11 Deathz Jester

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,107 posts
  • LocationOH, USA

Posted 30 December 2014 - 10:32 AM

Come to think of it the "new" cent arm is weird looking, but I suppose its better than it staying the same no matter whats inside it.

#12 PitchBlackYeti

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 12:47 PM

View PostIron Harlequin, on 30 December 2014 - 10:32 AM, said:

Come to think of it the "new" cent arm is weird looking, but I suppose its better than it staying the same no matter whats inside it.

Yeah, too bad that you can barely tell the difference between Ac/2/5/10 but well, at least it does change now :) Btw I believe that right after the Centurion overhaul Russ(?) said something about the barrels being small and that they will try to fix it when they have time (soon™).

I love the way the Awesome looks in the game but I would still prefer to see laser lenses instead of only PPC regardless of actual loadout.

#13 Hans Von Lohman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 30 December 2014 - 01:56 PM

It is coming. It is coming, I swear.

This is also fairly important as some mechs missile launchers are pointless to use if they don't have enough tubes to launch a single salvo. I would like the Commando in particular to have weapons that change so I can run with an SRM-6 instead of an SRM-4 on some builds.

Right now the list of mechs that don't have WYSIWYG weaponry are....

1. Commando.
2. Cicada
3. Centurion...sort of (they know the gun barrels are too small, and it will be changed sometime)
4. Dragon
5. Cataphract
6. Awesome
7. Stalker

Not too many have the issue, but I own a few of those and it does bug me like I'm sure it bothers other people.

Personally I would also like to see Large Lasers get their own 3D model that is a longer gun barrel.

#14 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 30 December 2014 - 02:51 PM

ETA: Somewhere scattered along in 2015.

I doubt PGI has an actual timeline for that.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users