Dx12 And Win10 Support For Mwo?

1 reply to this topic

#1 Tobbbe

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 20 May 2015 - 03:38 PM

With Windows 10 and DX12 incoming will you port MWO from DX11 to 12?

It would really bumb the number of polygons you guys could use and drastically increase the FPS in game due to gained GPU usage.

I'm currently sitting on a monster rig with 6 cores,12 threads at running at 4.7ghz with two 780Ti's.
SLI is currently switched of due to mwo's lacking in SLIsupport! Which is really really bad for being a "nvidia supported game".

I'm struggling with low GPU usage sometimes and my friends also have those dips in gpu usage.
It's all because the mwo client don't work well with the given cpu power.

Is all the CPU power drawn in to hit box registration or where does it go because i don't see it in game when it comes to graphics. There is not that many objects in game.
And now Piranha games are taking destruction and physics in with destructible trees and such. Isn't that just adding to the already heavy cpu load?

Crytek made Crysis 3 with Cryengine 3 and it runs great with huge resolution, hd textures and lots of eye candy. Running 2, 3 or even 4 cards on that game just shot your FPS out of the roof.

Why is MWO struggling? And can it be fixed with a DX12 port?

Here two Nvidia employees ported a Cryengine game to DX12 in less than 2 weeks with amazing results.
Could you guys do MWO in maybe two month's then? ;)

Best regards from Tobias

Edited by TobbbeSWE, 20 May 2015 - 03:45 PM.

#2 Gen0

• PipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 99 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 12:26 PM

Hello fellow 6 core user. I believe I can answer a few of your questions.

With Windows 10 and DX12 incoming will you port MWO from DX11 to 12?

That would pretty much be at the mercy of Crytek, as MWO uses CryEngine and modern versions of CryEngine don't support DX9 at all, forcing them to stick with the older stuff as the majority of thier assets (even the DX11 bits) are heavily DX9 reliant.

I'm currently sitting on a monster rig with 6 cores,12 threads at running at 4.7ghz with two 780Ti's.

SLI is currently switched of due to mwo's lacking in SLIsupport! Which is really really bad for being a "nvidia supported game".

Is all the CPU power drawn in to hit box registration or where does it go because i don't see it in game when it comes to graphics. There is not that many objects in game.
And now Piranha games are taking destruction and physics in with destructible trees and such. Isn't that just adding to the already heavy cpu load?

The Nvidia bit kinda is just them taking money for an ad spot at the start of their game and not much more, other than having access to prebuilt (and biased) Nvidia code and a free tech guy for the first year iirc. As for the rig, nice (I stick to 4.5 for longevity of the chip), but mostly useless in this game. You see a byproduct of so much DX9 code is a reliance on CPU calls that are largely eliminated in a fully DX11 pipeline. In DX11 mode these calls are reduced, but as previously mentioned, the game has a lot of DX9 code in there too so there is still a lot of CPU bound stuff. To add to this, the CPU bound parts of DX9 code are all single threaded, which is why you see big dips in performance when a mech comes onscreen close up. It's a sorry situation for Pirahna, but it's much easier to add destructible trees than it is to revisit every element of the game and replace it.

Judging by the new mech skins and revisits to all the levels in the pipeline though, PGI may be slyly doing that in the background anyway. It would be a wise way to do it but the DX12 jump couldn't be made until the game was a fully DX11 pipeline anyway. Even at that point a fully DX12 transiton would be a much longer process. DX12 may be faster, but taking advantage of that extra speed takes much more programming time. In a simple analogy, DX11 is making a castle with Lego/MegaBloks, DX12 is making it with sand.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users