25 replies to this topic

#1 Mechwarrior Buddah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:09 AM

not voting.... selection. I mean if your dropship crashes every orbital insertion, youre gonna be paying in the trillions fairly quickly to replace them, and thats just the ship ffs.

Also when do we see our tiers/where are they

#2 Rhaythe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,203 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:12 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 September 2015 - 05:09 AM, said:

Also when do we see our tiers/where are they

Not sure what you're trying to say with the former.

#3 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:20 AM

View PostRhaythe, on 22 September 2015 - 05:12 AM, said:

Not sure what you're trying to say with the former.

wow I thought that was the simple part O.O

Its right in the title -
We Need Map Selection

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 22 September 2015 - 05:20 AM.

#4 Black Ivan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,698 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:25 AM

I agree with this 100 %. Ok on the other hand PGI would see all maps nobody wants to play

#5 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:28 AM

View PostBlack Ivan, on 22 September 2015 - 05:25 AM, said:

I agree with this 100 %. Ok on the other hand PGI would see all maps nobody wants to play

...and maybe theyd learn to fix the ones ppl dont want to play XD

#6 627

• Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:30 AM

I don't think map selection is good, will only make matchmaking way harder and you won't see any new maps in the future anymore.

What we actually "need" is a different way for this event. there should be a (smaller) reward for making 300 and 400 points per map and not only one reward if you get all the maps right.

So even if you lucked out 8 of 9 you still get *something*

#7 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 05:46 AM

View Post627, on 22 September 2015 - 05:30 AM, said:

I don't think map selection is good, will only make matchmaking way harder and you won't see any new maps in the future anymore.

What we actually "need" is a different way for this event. there should be a (smaller) reward for making 300 and 400 points per map and not only one reward if you get all the maps right.

Continuing RNG with what we have and events like this will just make more ppl cheat or not play which will be far worse for the matchmaker

#8 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:36 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 September 2015 - 05:46 AM, said:

Continuing RNG with what we have and events like this will just make more ppl cheat or not play which will be far worse for the matchmaker

The solution isn't choosing maps - that's a non-starter; it'd be even worse than the current issues with game mode selection. Choosing maps would fracture the player pool severely.

The solution is not designing events this way. That's both an easier solution (no coding required!) and doesn't harm the already fairly labored matchmaking.

#9 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:48 AM

We really really don't need map selection.

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:56 AM

Agreed we dont need map selection.

Game already has enough metaing going on. The last thing we need is people metaing even more by playing specific builds on specific maps.

#11 Mad Porthos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 486 posts
  • LocationChicago, Illinois

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

Map Voting or weighting, based on group selections might be helpful, poorly designed events or not. The fact that groups are captive completely to chance regarding what map they drop on really eliminates some level of immersion and tactics, because you cannot bring the appropriate mech to the mech fight. Even in CW, you need to bring a variety of mechs, some of which may be completely inappropriate to the setting. Hot running mechs on hot maps, ammo dependent mechs on missions that are expected to be extensive, improperly painted/camouflaged mechs on worlds where they stand out/contrast... all these things are glaring issues which the lack of map selection highlights. Even though mercenaries and units "realisitically" often don't have a choice where they must fight, you rarely would see arctic trained commandos being sent into a desert, without at least a change of uniform, equipment and camouflage before they drop. If their vehicles were designed to operate in cold, likely the techs would at least have some time enroute or on arrival to modify them to run better in the expected environment.

Therefore, for these reasons and more, I think map selection IS important, even if this events flaws are not relevant entirely because it was just a badly designed contest.

#12 Odium

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 117 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 06:57 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 22 September 2015 - 06:36 AM, said:

The solution isn't choosing maps - that's a non-starter; it'd be even worse than the current issues with game mode selection. Choosing maps would fracture the player pool severely.

The solution is not designing events this way. That's both an easier solution (no coding required!) and doesn't harm the already fairly labored matchmaking.

This.

#13 Wintersdark

• 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:07 AM

View PostMad Porthos, on 22 September 2015 - 06:57 AM, said:

Map Voting or weighting, based on group selections might be helpful, poorly designed events or not. The fact that groups are captive completely to chance regarding what map they drop on really eliminates some level of immersion and tactics, because you cannot bring the appropriate mech to the mech fight. Even in CW, you need to bring a variety of mechs, some of which may be completely inappropriate to the setting. Hot running mechs on hot maps, ammo dependent mechs on missions that are expected to be extensive, improperly painted/camouflaged mechs on worlds where they stand out/contrast... all these things are glaring issues which the lack of map selection highlights. Even though mercenaries and units "realisitically" often don't have a choice where they must fight, you rarely would see arctic trained commandos being sent into a desert, without at least a change of uniform, equipment and camouflage before they drop. If their vehicles were designed to operate in cold, likely the techs would at least have some time enroute or on arrival to modify them to run better in the expected environment.

Therefore, for these reasons and more, I think map selection IS important, even if this events flaws are not relevant entirely because it was just a badly designed contest.
iit can not and will not happen,period.

Not because I wouldn't like it. It has nothing to do with everything you said above, absolutely nothing.

As I said in my previous post, its simply a matter of matchmaking. There are only barely enough people in the queues as it is now to get what amounts to just barely good enough matchmaking. Choosing what map you drop on would split the queues enormously. There's what, 12 maps now? Everyone not looking to drop on the map you want to drop on would effectively not exist for you. Being very generous, this would be like half the players simply logging off, in terms of match!along quality. Ever play at peak time? Off hours? You'd turn peak time into off hours, and make off hours matchmaking take an abominably long time and be - if matches can be made at all - totally random.

#14 Crispy Chicken

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 136 posts
  • LocationAustria

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:08 AM

I think the people discussing if map selection would ruin the game/match making are overlooking ONE quite important tidbit: we have currently (still) an event going that REQUIRES that players play specific maps to get the even price (And if the prices are worth the effort or not doesn't really matter for this).

I have seen caustic valley TWICE since friday ... once against EMP (3 minute wipe FTW) and the other one was not really that much better ...
thats 2 times in 5 days, as one out of 9 maps availabe during the event ...
and trust me, I do not lack played hours on the event, took me almost 20 hours nonstop to get a game in canyon network ... still waiting for annother caustic valley (note that I did say GAME, not WIN nor 20+score)

IF you issue such events, THEN map selection is required, .. OTHERWISE do not make the event dependent on certain maps that never come (while others coem repeatedly 5 or more times in a row) ... period

Edited by Crispy Chicken, 22 September 2015 - 07:36 AM.

#15 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:11 AM

I would be fine with a map selector as long as there was an option for all maps which excluded anyone who has chosen to opt-out of certain maps.

#16 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:22 AM

That single change will give the metawhores all they need to turn this game into nothing but AlphaTardWarriorOnline.

Be very careful what you wish for.

#17 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:40 AM

No. We do not need map selection. Not knowing the map is the only thing that keeps loadouts at all varied on any given drop. Otherwise expect alpine to be 100% erll boats, caustic 100% lrm/narc, etc.
Do not want.

#18 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 07:55 AM

View PostScreech, on 22 September 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

I would be fine with a map selector as long as there was an option for all maps which excluded anyone who has chosen to opt-out of certain maps.

I dont see why being able to select one's map would be the death of MWIO when crashing every ******* time you try to land doesnt bother anyone but me apparently.

Why not do it exactly like we have the selectors available to us? Click the box of the maps you want to play and unclick the ones you dont. Works great for me not playing Conquest.

View PostMystere, on 22 September 2015 - 07:22 AM, said:

That single change will give the metawhores all they need to turn this game into nothing but AlphaTardWarriorOnline.

Be very careful what you wish for.

We have that now.

So I dont see the difference

Play a Missile mech (not even a boat) and then tell me how you dont get alphawarrior online every ******* match. I play pretty much ONLY missile mechs and Im getting one shot in almost everything I run (or so many shots at once that it looks exactly LIKE being one shot) the second I see the enemy.

Dont tell me that itll turn the game into something that Im already seeing every game.

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 22 September 2015 - 07:58 AM.

#19 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:01 AM

View PostMechwarrior Buddah, on 22 September 2015 - 07:55 AM, said:

We have that now.

So I dont see the difference

Play a Missile mech (not even a boat) and then tell me how you dont get alphawarrior online every ******* match. I play pretty much ONLY missile mechs and Im getting one shot in almost everything I run (or so many shots at once that it looks exactly LIKE being one shot) the second I see the enemy.

Dont tell me that itll turn the game into something that Im already seeing every game.

Just because you are seeing it every game does not mean everyone sees it too. :P

#20 Mechwarrior Buddah

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,459 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:03 AM

View PostMystere, on 22 September 2015 - 08:01 AM, said:

Just because you are seeing it every game does not mean everyone sees it too. :P

Be funny as hell if Im tier 3 because you would then be provably wrong

Given that Id then be matching with everyone from every tier

Edited by Mechwarrior Buddah, 22 September 2015 - 08:03 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users